Are wine aerators necessary or just a nice accessory?

A section for those relatively new to wine, 'geeks in training', and for common wine topics
AlvaroC

#1 Post by AlvaroC » October 4th, 2014, 6:23 pm

My mother passed me a site yesterday of a vinturi aerator that she just bought. I decided to try it out today at a family meeting and see what's up with these tools. What I think is that they don't really do something that you cannot do, by just moving the glass around and letting the wine breathe in that way. I did notice great improvement with young wines, intended to age. But still, not buying in too much to these. Apparently some are able to filter out sediment though, which sounds like an interesting idea with young or homemade unfiltered wines that may require softer tannin in the finish. What do you guys think?

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by Alan Rath » October 7th, 2014, 10:00 am

Alvaro,
I agree with you. An aerator might help speed things up in the first few minutes, but unless you're desperate to drink the glass immediately, the wine will eventually catch up. BTW, it's my opinion that getting oxygen into the wine has nothing to do with "opening up" or tasting better. It's getting undesirable components (particularly sulfur) out that changes how the wine shows.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Anton D » October 29th, 2014, 8:39 am

Purely a toy.

We got a Vinturi, played with it a few times, and now there it sits in the decanter cupboard. Forlorn, mostly unused.

Maybe sometimes with a brand new white we may break it out for a run, but otherwise not a major player in our toy box.
Last edited by Anton D on October 29th, 2014, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Michael Martin » October 29th, 2014, 9:04 am

I like it. I think it makes a noticeable difference in the first 30 - 45 minutes from opening. It is also useful as a filter to remove sediment.

Ian Sutton

#5 Post by Ian Sutton » November 2nd, 2014, 5:21 am

A cellar and some patience would be better IMO, as I think wines invariably show better when mature, no matter how much aeration a young wine gets. However if drinking young is what's going to happen, aeration does generally work.
Normal for Norfolk

S L i m

#6 Post by S L i m » January 19th, 2015, 7:34 pm

I find wine aerators useful for young wines and where I am lazy to decant. I also have friends that stick the wine ina blender to aerate. I find that somewhat offensive but who am I to judge?

Also, not to hijack the thread, but how does one get undesirable components out? Are we talking about the decanting process or something else? [stirthepothal.gif]
Alan Rath wrote:Alvaro,
I agree with you. An aerator might help speed things up in the first few minutes, but unless you're desperate to drink the glass immediately, the wine will eventually catch up. BTW, it's my opinion that getting oxygen into the wine has nothing to do with "opening up" or tasting better. It's getting undesirable components (particularly sulfur) out that changes how the wine shows.
Sam Lim

david li

#7 Post by david li » January 26th, 2015, 8:54 am

It is useful when you do not have time for decanting, such as ordering a bottle in a restaurant

That being said, at home I find blender works better.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Alan Rath » February 17th, 2015, 8:54 pm

S L i m wrote:I find wine aerators useful for young wines and where I am lazy to decant. I also have friends that stick the wine ina blender to aerate. I find that somewhat offensive but who am I to judge?

Also, not to hijack the thread, but how does one get undesirable components out? Are we talking about the decanting process or something else?
Sorry I haven't checked in here recently. Well, decanting is really nothing more than splashing the wine around and exposing it to air. While the conventional wisdom is that getting air into the wine is what changes it and makes it more ready to drink, there are some knowledgeable wine academics who postulate that what that air exposure is really doing is facilitating the removal of volatile sulfur compounds that mask the taste of the wine. Either way, just pouring from the bottle into a glass serves the same function, and swirling the wine and letting it air in the glass is going to do just as much as an aerator, decanter, or blender [cheers.gif]
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by J a y H a c k » February 18th, 2015, 5:27 am

Necessary? No.
Nice accessory? Yes

I have one. I use them on bottles that I know I shouldn't be opening yet. Maybe one out of 20 bottles. I prefer a long decant, but sometimes things like work get in the way of that.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Andrei B

#10 Post by Andrei B » April 23rd, 2016, 5:56 am

I find that they do make a big difference over simply swirling the wine around inside your glass. How long do you really want to swirl your glass around for? And after two or three glasses, you're likely to spill it. The idea is that the wine gets aerated before or as it goes into your glass. You can read up more on how it all works and why owning an aerator is a good idea here: http://winecoolers.reviews/do-wine-aera ... ally-work/
Buchanskii

Drew Goin

#11 Post by Drew Goin » April 23rd, 2016, 2:34 pm

I have used them and like having one when a wine initially shows little when first opened. The fact that the Vinturi sits on top of the decanter is convenient, as well.

I am not opposed to using a straw in a glass of wine to get some oxygen into it, however, so I guess I am a savage brute.

Mel Hill

#12 Post by Mel Hill » April 23rd, 2016, 3:17 pm

We did a few different bottles over the course of an evening and would pour thru the Venturi on one glass and straight out of the bottle on a second glass and blind everyone (but me) on the two glasses and most of the tasters liked the non-Venturi glass better YMMV

Drew Goin

#13 Post by Drew Goin » April 23rd, 2016, 3:25 pm

Mel, the logical follow-up questions:

What wines were being served?

What are the general preferences of the participants?

Some older wines are best served straight from the bottle. Some wines perform better PnP, generally speaking.

If someone enjoys more tannic, compact wine flavor profiles, an aerated wine might not be appealing. Acid/tannin/fruit perception will inevitably be different in aerated and non-aerated wines.

David_S

#14 Post by David_S » April 29th, 2016, 11:31 am

Drew Goin wrote: I am not opposed to using a straw in a glass of wine to get some oxygen into it
My mom said not to do that
Spr3ch3r

PeterJ

#15 Post by PeterJ » May 18th, 2016, 10:19 am

Hmmm.... thanks for bumping this topic. I'd completely forgotten about my Vinturi sitting on a back closet shelf. Gonna give it a whirl on the next low-end daily drinker my wife brings home that is too rough for me.
Peter J@ckel

Aaron Munn

#16 Post by Aaron Munn » December 7th, 2016, 9:37 pm

I have one and it made cheap cabernet sauvignon drinkable, even tasty.

I like it because it allows the wine to stay chilled and takes up less space than a decanter. I've also used a large beaker, swirling around the wine quickly. But a beaker is not so classy. And the aerator makes a fun wooshing sound.

Jon U

#17 Post by Jon U » January 18th, 2017, 1:50 pm

The aerator is also easier to wash than a decanter. I typically only use it on cheaper and younger wines though. The main difference being that I plan out my more expensive bottles better and allow for adequate decant time on those.
J U s e r y

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Joe B » January 18th, 2017, 3:02 pm

I usually just coravin my wine directly through the aerator into the decanter.
J W@ll @ce

Robert A. Ashley

#19 Post by Robert A. Ashley » January 29th, 2017, 6:02 am

Read somewhere a blender does the same thing?

Paul R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Paul R. » April 11th, 2017, 9:25 am

I have decanters, vinturis, a coravin (perfect for desert wines but bottles rarely make it in our house past a night) and use all but for different reasons. Every situation seems to be a little different depending on varietals, age, etc. but I like to experiment. I have done multiple simple blind experiments with my wife or guests where I have vinturied the wine and generally guests/wife preferred the vinturied wine. Most of the wine I vinturi, I am admittedly drinking too young and didn't have the time during the week to decant (generally in the $15-$30 range). My general practice is open, pour a small taste into the glass, swirl to clean glass and taste. Make the decision to decant or not or even vinturi into the decanter based on how tight it is. Decanting time is a crapshoot where I prefer to be able to check in on every 30 minutes or hour but don't always have that luxury, and so make some guesses and some mistakes. For older wine, I tend to err on the side of caution so PnP, if too tight double decant, ...then decant for time, but rarely use a vinturi. To me the process is part of the fun and when you get it right, it makes it that much more rewarding and helpful for subsequent bottles. I know that I spend too much time thinking about all of the variables but it keeps my mind working and generally my wife appreciates the effort while she is rolling her eyes.
R o e s s

Richard Albert

#21 Post by Richard Albert » December 8th, 2017, 9:19 am

The superior aeration device I use and provide for young wines is the VinOair, spelled exactly that way, as there are less well designed knock offs with the same name spelled differently.
It is twice as efficient(twice the vacuum created, twice the air introduced) as other aerators using a dual chambered Venturi system, is a sleek bottle top device which also eliminate drips and costs $20 or less.
ITB

Steve Slatcher

#22 Post by Steve Slatcher » December 11th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Alan Rath wrote:I agree with you. An aerator might help speed things up in the first few minutes, but unless you're desperate to drink the glass immediately, the wine will eventually catch up. BTW, it's my opinion that getting oxygen into the wine has nothing to do with "opening up" or tasting better. It's getting undesirable components (particularly sulfur) out that changes how the wine shows.
That is my take on it too. I haven't used one myself, but it did help on at least one sulphurous wine I tried in a friends house. Probably equivalent to a good shaking in the decanter and leaving for an hour or two. So in that sense it works, and is quicker and more convenient. But usually I would hope not to buy sulphurous wines anyway, and do not feel motivated to own the gadget.

Patrick T

Re: Are wine aerators necessary or just a nice accessory?

#23 Post by Patrick T » January 28th, 2019, 10:36 am

I'll bump this.

A few years ago, my wine tasting group had an "aerator" night. In addition the Vinturi, we had 3 other aerators that we labeled the "goose," the "bong" and the "catheter." (IIRC the catheter was the VinOair).

We tried each aerator on a variety of young (1-3 yrs) and oldish (4-7 yrs) wines. It was astonishing how much of a difference they made. Most of the time that was a good thing. Interestingly, some aerators worked great on one wine, then just so-so on another. The overall winner was the bong.

I hardly ever have the foresight to decant, so I'll pour a small sample in my glass before deciding whether to use my Vinturi.

Cheers,
Patrick
Longtime lurker.

WOTY 2018
2011 Vidon Pinot Noir Barrel Select
2010 Adelsheim Pinot Noir Elizabeth's Reserve
2012 Merry Edwards Pinot Noir Flax Vineyard

Patrick Taylor

Chuck J o r d a n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Chuck J o r d a n » February 3rd, 2019, 9:58 am

Patrick T wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 10:36 am
I'll bump this.

A few years ago, my wine tasting group had an "aerator" night. In addition the Vinturi, we had 3 other aerators that we labeled the "goose," the "bong" and the "catheter." (IIRC the catheter was the VinOair).

We tried each aerator on a variety of young (1-3 yrs) and oldish (4-7 yrs) wines. It was astonishing how much of a difference they made. Most of the time that was a good thing. Interestingly, some aerators worked great on one wine, then just so-so on another. The overall winner was the bong.

I hardly ever have the foresight to decant, so I'll pour a small sample in my glass before deciding whether to use my Vinturi.

Cheers,
Patrick
Which one was the bong?

Patrick T

#25 Post by Patrick T » February 3rd, 2019, 8:29 pm

The bong was the "Soiree." It was a little fragile, but I think version 2.0 is supposed to be better.
Longtime lurker.

WOTY 2018
2011 Vidon Pinot Noir Barrel Select
2010 Adelsheim Pinot Noir Elizabeth's Reserve
2012 Merry Edwards Pinot Noir Flax Vineyard

Patrick Taylor

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Mark.Ricca » March 24th, 2019, 12:00 pm

If I feel the need to decant/aerate, grab the Tupperware/food container that holds 750ml, empty the bottle into it. Funnel the wine back into the bottle.

Done.
ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

Geoff F.

#27 Post by Geoff F. » April 1st, 2019, 9:41 pm

I'm a pretty big fan of the Nuance Wine Finer. It aerates the wine just enough, but it really shines in filtering out sediment (the amount it catches is scary sometimes), acting as a no-drip pour spout, and then at the end of the night you put the cap on it and it's basically like putting a cork in the bottle.
F r a n z

RCarbain
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by RCarbain » April 5th, 2019, 11:08 am

I can taste a side-by-side difference on pop and pours. The must handy use of the aerator for me is the sieve that comes with the Vinturi. Especially helpful for when you get a little cork in the bottle.

Return to “Wine 101: The Basics”