Do Wine Glasses Make A Difference?

A section for those relatively new to wine, 'geeks in training', and for common wine topics
Dave McCloskey

Do Wine Glasses Make A Difference?

#1 Post by Dave McCloskey » September 14th, 2020, 8:24 am

I'm going to answer my own question.

Yes!

I've tried every manufacturer of wine glasses on the market... I think. A couple of months ago I bought a Zalto 'Burgundy' glass and poured a 2012 Aubert Sugar Shack into it and was blown away. That juice was singing an opera out of the glass. I can see why Aubert got rid of all his Reidel's in favor of Zalto 'Burgundy' glasses. Red wine has the same affect with the juice singing out of the glass and I love how thin, yet strong they are. The Allot Burgundy feels wonderful in the hand.

No, I'm not a Zalto salesman, just find the product to be superior to anything I've used in the past. They're worth every penny.

Domenico A

Re: Do Wine Glasses Make A Difference?

#2 Post by Domenico A » October 6th, 2020, 9:23 pm

Maybe I was influenced by a Asimov’s (NYT critic) article I read a while ago, but I noticed Zalto is kind of a ‘Mouth of Truth’ for wines, as it amplifies aromas, flavors but also flaws.
I found that sometimes for everyday drinking wines it ends up highlighting flaws that might be masked by other glasses.
100% agree on making good juice sing though!
D o m e n i c o _ A z z o l l i n i

Anthony C

#3 Post by Anthony C » October 7th, 2020, 5:50 am

I did a "horizontal" across several glasses when I got my Grassl's. Compared the 1855 to a Riedel Somm and some other red wine glasses I had. It's true there is a difference and it was easy to discern. The Grassl Cru was much better at focusing the nose. The Riedel somm was not far behind but was so large you kinda had to move your nose around to get all the aromas. The other glasses smelled and tasted flat comparatively. After I was done, I told my wife I had a four wine blind-tasting for her and she was shocked that they were all the same wine. She preferred the Grassl

Did similar but less scientific experiments with various white wines and the smaller Grassl's (and my old stuff). I agree that the better glasses do not leave flaws anywhere to hide.

Like wine, though, I imagine there's diminishing returns here. I don't think you need a separate glass for every wine grape and region nor that a $200 glass is 4x better than a $50 glass. I got the Grassl's on sale and think they are a good value. I have not tried the Zaltos though.
C u r t a s

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food." -- W. C. Fields

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#4 Post by Chris Freemott » October 7th, 2020, 2:09 pm

There will be more to come on this from my firm. We're working hard on some pretty extensive testing across the major lines with sommeliers. This is likely an evolving topic too. I also think that people don't drink the same wine out of a broad enough spectrum of glasses at the same time to do a fair comparison.

I am biased as the N.American Grassl importer. But, I think our glass performs in many superior ways to what Zalto is putting out. Roulot felt the same way and moved to our Liberté from the ZU, and there are more names like this to be announced by us.

Either way - glasses DO matter. It's not really even debatable any more.

What is debatable is what works for the consumer and what the consumer tends to drink and then likes in the wine.

Also, here's a good example of a quirk that catches people off-guard with our glasses. Zalto suggests white burgundy be drunk from their Burgundy glass. It would follow that WB be drunk from the Grassl Cru. In fact, we get vastly superior results using the Liberté stem.

Victor Hong

#5 Post by Victor Hong » October 7th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Trust Chris.
WineHunter.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » October 7th, 2020, 6:26 pm

I'm a big fan of the Grassl glasses and a big fan of dealing with Chris to get them - He runs an A+ operation all the way. I totally buy into the notion that the glasses make a difference.

Now, I pivot to skeptic mode. I wonder if the best glass for a wine is a bit like the "hot hand" in hoops or the "streak hitter" in baseball - identifiable only in hindsight. In other words, while I am convinced that if you open a bottle of wine and pour 3 oz into each of four different glasses, you will get different impressions and may prefer the wine in glass C to the wine in glasses A, B, and D, I am not convinced that this is predictive - that because you preferred glass C today, you will also prefer glass C next time, even if the wines are somewhat similar. I'm not convinced to the contrary, either, of course. More research needed.

In the meantime, I continue to drink my low-acid reds from my Grassl 1855s, my high-acid reds from my Grassl crus, etc. They are great glasses either way.

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Albert R » October 7th, 2020, 8:12 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 6:26 pm
I'm a big fan of the Grassl glasses and a big fan of dealing with Chris to get them - He runs an A+ operation all the way. I totally buy into the notion that the glasses make a difference.

Now, I pivot to skeptic mode. I wonder if the best glass for a wine is a bit like the "hot hand" in hoops or the "streak hitter" in baseball - identifiable only in hindsight. In other words, while I am convinced that if you open a bottle of wine and pour 3 oz into each of four different glasses, you will get different impressions and may prefer the wine in glass C to the wine in glasses A, B, and D, I am not convinced that this is predictive - that because you preferred glass C today, you will also prefer glass C next time, even if the wines are somewhat similar. I'm not convinced to the contrary, either, of course. More research needed.

In the meantime, I continue to drink my low-acid reds from my Grassl 1855s, my high-acid reds from my Grassl crus, etc. They are great glasses either way.
[/uote]

+1000... I am a huge fan of the entire Grassl line of glasses. The glasses are great and Chris provides a stellar customer experience.
Last edited by Albert R on October 8th, 2020, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
@. Re-go

Howard_K

#8 Post by Howard_K » October 8th, 2020, 2:44 am

I swear by my zalto glass and I really think they add significantly to the wine tasting experience. A friend recommended Grassl and I'm waiting for my 1855 to be delivered to test them out. However, I'm shocked to see that they put "Machine-washable" on the packaging. Has anyone really put them in a standard home dishwasher, without any special racks or protection?
VIGNOBLES K
Chateau Bellefont-Belcier – Chateau Tour Saint Christophe – Enclos Tourmaline
Chateau Haut-Brisson - Chateau La Patache – Chateau Le Rey – Enclos de Viaud

www.vignoblesk.com

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » October 8th, 2020, 5:34 am

I wash my Grassls (and washed my Riedels before that) in the dishwasher all the time. It does have a flip-down stemware holder, but that came standard with the dishwasher.

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#10 Post by matthewgoldman » October 8th, 2020, 8:40 am

I also have machine washed the Grassls. Mostly OK, although I broke one due to the top (third) rack being a bit weighed down. They look a lot better out of the dishwasher (Bosch, also with a stemware holder) than when I try to wash them by hand. LOVE THE GRASSLS.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#11 Post by Chris Freemott » October 9th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Howard,
Machine washing is massively safer than your soapy hands.

-Chris

Patrick T a y l o r

#12 Post by Patrick T a y l o r » October 9th, 2020, 9:16 pm

Grassl kicks assl.
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Dave McCloskey

#13 Post by Dave McCloskey » October 12th, 2020, 11:10 am

Great discussion. For you Grassl fans, what's your favorite glass from them? I'm open minded and would have no issue checking them out.

RickieM

#14 Post by RickieM » October 12th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Dave McCloskey wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 11:10 am
Great discussion. For you Grassl fans, what's your favorite glass from them? I'm open minded and would have no issue checking them out.
My preference is general is the Grassl Cru for red and the Liberte for whites but it depends on the wine. I have all four models but prefer these two and for me, that's really all I need. They are all excellent and well worth the money, though, and Chris' customer service is very, very good. Can't recommend him and the Grassl's highly enough!
Rickie Miy@ke

Dillon S

#15 Post by Dillon S » October 12th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Glasses 100% make a world of a difference when tasting any wine at any price point in my opinion. I think a great glass can help make an even somewhat mediocre wine shine.

I have Rosenthal "Tac 02" white wine glasses and "Tac 02" red Burgundy glasses, and couldn't be happier. They retail for about $30 each, but can often be purchased for close to half that at Bloomingdales with sales, coupon codes, Rakuten cash back, etc. They're crystal (I believe hand blown) and super high quality in my opinion. The glass is very thin which I happen to love, and from a functional standpoint I believe really allows you to taste what's in your glass. The thickness of the glass is very similar to that of Zalto, but the glasses themselves are considerably heavier, maybe twice as heavy. I attribute this to perhaps a thicker and taller stem, and perhaps different crystal used *shrug*. I actually happen to prefer the extra bit of weight.

If you're in the market for glasses I definitely recommend checking out Rosenthal's line of Tac 02's. I've tasted from Zaltos a handful of times and was extremely impressed. In my opinion these are a very comparable option to some of Zalto's offerings and at about $18- $20 per glass after coupons, sales, discounts, etc. they're considerably cheaper, and I actually prefer them slightly. The only glass I've tasted out of that I prefer to Zalto or Rosenthals Tac 02's is Giacomo Conterno's Sensory glasses, and this may very well be due to an unfair subconscious bias (I consider myself very lucky to have had the opportunity to have tasted with Roberto Conterno at his estate last year, and he served his wine out of these glassed, which may very well have caused an unfair bias towards them).

I've heard great things about Grassl, but have no experience with them first hand.
$ i f l i n g 3 r

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Albert R » October 12th, 2020, 12:53 pm

My preference is the 1855 because I mainly drink reds-Cabernet, Syrah, Zin....The Cru is my go to for PN. All of the Grassl glasses are great. Reach-out to Chris and he will take care of you. His customer service is indeed excellent.
@. Re-go

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by HoosJustinG » October 12th, 2020, 4:39 pm

Might have to spring for some Liberté sooner than later. I have the Zalto BDX, "White," and Champagne and have liked Glasvin universals (replaced my Riedel universals as go-to daily drinker glass and loving it), and also pre-ordered their BDX and Burg stems as well because they're such a great price point. But I really don't have a great glass right now that focuses as tightly as the Liberté at the rim which I'd like to experiment with for some varietals. I drink a lot of older Napa and have often wondered if a slightly tighter glass might work better for some of the more delicate older wines than a Zalto BDX.

Anyway, a big "yes" to glasses making a difference. Not only are there big differences aromatically, but certain glasses also swirl better than others just in terms of drinking logistics. I also think that in the same way that you don't eat USDA Prime steaks off a paper plate, you don't drink fine wine out of crappy 1990s wedding gift goblets--wine even more so. We're talking about an experience in serving wine that accentuates the pageantry with the pulling of the cork, decanting, etc. Going through all that and then pouring the wine into a nice hand blown glass only adds to the experience IMO.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Albert R » October 12th, 2020, 5:20 pm

HoosJustinG wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 4:39 pm
Might have to spring for some Liberté sooner than later. I have the Zalto BDX, "White," and Champagne and have liked Glasvin universals (replaced my Riedel universals as go-to daily drinker glass and loving it), and also pre-ordered their BDX and Burg stems as well because they're such a great price point. But I really don't have a great glass right now that focuses as tightly as the Liberté at the rim which I'd like to experiment with for some varietals. I drink a lot of older Napa and have often wondered if a slightly tighter glass might work better for some of the more delicate older wines than a Zalto BDX.

Anyway, a big "yes" to glasses making a difference. Not only are there big differences aromatically, but certain glasses also swirl better than others just in terms of drinking logistics. I also think that in the same way that you don't eat USDA Prime steaks off a paper plate, you don't drink fine wine out of crappy 1990s wedding gift goblets--wine even more so. We're talking about an experience in serving wine that accentuates the pageantry with the pulling of the cork, decanting, etc. Going through all that and then pouring the wine into a nice hand blown glass only adds to the experience IMO.
Justin, give the 1855 a try if you have not. I prefer it over the Zalto BDX by a wide margin.
@. Re-go

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by HoosJustinG » October 12th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Albert R wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 5:20 pm
HoosJustinG wrote:

Justin, give the 1855 a try if you have not. I prefer it over the Zalto BDX by a wide margin.
Interesting - they actually look super similar - like more than any other glasses between the two lines. What about them do you much prefer?
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Albert R » October 12th, 2020, 6:51 pm

HoosJustinG wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 6:37 pm
Albert R wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 5:20 pm
HoosJustinG wrote:

Interesting - they actually look super similar - like more than any other glasses between the two lines. What about them do you much prefer?
What you like about the Liberté for whites you will like the 1855 for reds. The opening is smaller which focuses the aroma better. I also prefer that the glass is shorter and more balanced in my hand. The glass appears thinner and more elegant.
Last edited by Albert R on October 14th, 2020, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
@. Re-go

Dave McCloskey

#21 Post by Dave McCloskey » October 14th, 2020, 9:21 am

I'm picking up thru Chris' company two each of the Grassl Liberte, 1855 and Cru. I'll be interested in doing a blind comparison of the Cru and 1855 with the Zalto Burgundy.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » October 14th, 2020, 11:58 am

Dave McCloskey wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 9:21 am
I'm picking up thru Chris' company two each of the Grassl Liberte, 1855 and Cru. I'll be interested in doing a blind comparison of the Cru and 1855 with the Zalto Burgundy.
And this leads back into what I was hypothesizing about in my earlier post. Let's accept that we all prefer nice glasses to crappy ones (too small, too thick, whatever). So you do a comparison of three different high-quality red wine glasses as you just suggested. And let's further accept that one may have preferences in terms of balance or beauty or swirlability or how they fit in the dishwasher or whatever and set those aside.

Now you're drinking wines out of all three and seeing if they smell or taste differently. Let's assume they do, and that you preferred the 1855 for the Napa cab you tried out of all three, and that you preferred the Zalto for the 1er Cru Burgundy you tried out of all three.

My question is whether this is predictive. If you get the results above in the two taste tests I've hypothesized, how likely is it that a month from now or a year from now, with a different Napa cab and a different 1er Cru Burg, that you will again prefer the 1855 for the former and the Zalto Burg for the latter? This is the "do glasses make a difference" question that I'm not satisfied has been answered objectively. Is it really a matter of Glass A being reliably "better" for wines of one type and Glass B being reliably "better" for wines of another type, or is it just that wines taste differently from different glasses, but there's no predictable rhyme or reason as to which glass will favor which wine on a given night for a given taster (assuming, again, that we're keeping tiny crappy chunky glasses out of the discussion)?
Last edited by D@ve D y r 0 f f on October 14th, 2020, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#23 Post by Chris Freemott » October 14th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Dave - that is exactly the question that needs to be answered. I don't have the answer I only have annecdotes - but we are going to be building a database around this exact topic.

What I can say and feel comfortable with are comments and observations like the following:

1 - We work with winemakers and trust that they know their wines better than anyone so when they pick our glass and get rid of the one they used to use, we view that as a good data point - FOR THAT WINERY and their wine... Roulot moved to us from Zalto Universal stems b/c our glass 'gave me elements of my wine I'd never noticed before.' according to JM himself. We are building examples of this daily and updating our web page accordingly (www.grasslglass.com). But, Etienne Sauzet, Drake Whitcraft, our own Marcus Goodfellow and Vincent Fritzsche, Realm, and others like their wines in our glass.

2 - We had the president of the N.American Somm. Association (I wrote NASA but, well...it's different) use our Bordeaux (1855) stem and at first he did roll his eyes (politely as I'm told) but gave it a go. What he liked about our glass and ultimately wrote was it is the first large bowled stem for Cab blends which doesn't drill your nasal passage with alcohol.

The plural of anecdote is not data. We view this as a long game, one where we simply hope to be a frequent 'winner' if you will. But, it is also critically important to recognize we acknowledge a 2017 Realm Tempest in a Liberté is great, today - but it may very well show wonderfully in a Zalto Bordeaux glass in 2034 and not so well in an 1855 by me.

To think otherwise would be egotistically asinine.

Buy what you like. I do advise you buy to what you drink and "universal" stems aren't really that but are certainly 'good enough' the majority of the time and you should, if you can, try wine in a few stems at the same time and then go with which glass is bringing you the most pleasure. Unless it is a root day...but that's another thread. :-P

*If you're in Boston - Troquet is moving to our stems...

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » October 14th, 2020, 2:43 pm

Thanks, Chris, and as you know I've moved to your glasses, too, so I'm a fan. I do think I've answered the question for myself as to whether the Grassls (generally) give me more pleasure for the wines I drink than the Riedel Vinums I used to use. I haven't compared them to Zalto or any others.

But let's keep drilling down because beyond "I prefer Grassl to Riedel Vinum," I'm still not sure that "big reds in Grassl 1855 and lighter or high-acid reds in Grassl Cru" is some kind of objectively applicable rule, even though it's the rule I use (I view it more as "received wisdom" than as "empirically demonstrated" at this point). So Roulot moved to "your glass." But Grassl makes more than one glass - so which one, and why that one and not a different one? Does Markus prefer one of your glasses for his chards and a different one for his pinots? Which ones for which and why? Has he then tried the next vintage of pinot and chard in each of your various glasses to make sure that preference still holds? Etc.

Lots of research to be done. The things we do in the name of science...

And I'll admit, most of the time I'd rather just enjoy the wine with dinner so I use the received wisdom to pick a glass and just go with it and it works fine. But I will have to bring some discipline to bear and get myself to do some trials, though of course "blind" trials with these glasses really aren't possible.

Dave McCloskey

#25 Post by Dave McCloskey » October 15th, 2020, 7:23 am

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 11:58 am
Dave McCloskey wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 9:21 am
And this leads back into what I was hypothesizing about in my earlier post. Let's accept that we all prefer nice glasses to crappy ones (too small, too thick, whatever). So you do a comparison of three different high-quality red wine glasses as you just suggested. And let's further accept that one may have preferences in terms of balance or beauty or swirlability or how they fit in the dishwasher or whatever and set those aside.

Now you're drinking wines out of all three and seeing if they smell or taste differently. Let's assume they do, and that you preferred the 1855 for the Napa cab you tried out of all three, and that you preferred the Zalto for the 1er Cru Burgundy you tried out of all three.

My question is whether this is predictive. If you get the results above in the two taste tests I've hypothesized, how likely is it that a month from now or a year from now, with a different Napa cab and a different 1er Cru Burg, that you will again prefer the 1855 for the former and the Zalto Burg for the latter? This is the "do glasses make a difference" question that I'm not satisfied has been answered objectively. Is it really a matter of Glass A being reliably "better" for wines of one type and Glass B being reliably "better" for wines of another type, or is it just that wines taste differently from different glasses, but there's no predictable rhyme or reason as to which glass will favor which wine on a given night for a given taster (assuming, again, that we're keeping tiny crappy chunky glasses out of the discussion)?
1. As to whether such a comparison test is predictive of future results. I think it's difficult to assume future results are predictive, particularly in a case where the subjective initial impressions may have little discernible variation between glasses - assuming that's the case. If the results are dramatically obvious we may reasonably assume future performance will align with initial results, but again I don't think it's necessarily predictive.

2. Even in a blind test, it will be difficult not to get a clue about which glass one is drinking on based on weight, base size, lip design and balance. will having a clue prejudice the test? I don't know yet.

Thankfully I've got a pretty good sniffer and palette, so I'm hoping I'll be able detect differences and create preferences. At the end of the day I want to replace existing wine glasses that I know objectively do not perform optimally. Thus, I'm in a no lose situation and will have testing to support whatever conclusions I draw.

Brent C l a y t o n

#26 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » October 15th, 2020, 11:36 am

Liberte is my favorite all around glass. It works well for pretty much all whites and I even like to use it for certain red varieties like Syrah, Nero d'Avola, Sangiovese, Zinfandel and Nerello Mascalese.

I also really like the Grassl tasting glass for everyday use. They are a bit more sturdy and work fine for all everyday wines.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Greg Kramer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#27 Post by Greg Kramer » October 15th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 11:36 am
Liberte is my favorite all around glass. It works well for pretty much all whites and I even like to use it for certain red varieties like Syrah, Nero d'Avola, Sangiovese, Zinfandel and Nerello Mascalese.
I mostly agree with these except for Liberté I would add Barbera and subtract (based on preference for other Grassl stems) Syrah (I like from 1855) and Nerello Mascalese (Cru gets the nod so far but still open-minded). I don't drink much Zin but am inclined to agree with you based on early results with Croatina.

N.B. I sell Grassl.
ITB - online retailer
VDLT Wine is a Community of wine lovers and small, artisanal wine producers

Brent C l a y t o n

#28 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » October 15th, 2020, 3:23 pm

I think Syrah has the greatest variance. I've been drinking through some Aussie Shiraz recently and have done side by side comparisons and I preferred the Liberte. Definitely agree with Barbera. I see your point about Nerello Mascalese but I find the nose to be a bit more muted in the younger wines I've tried in the Cru.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Anthony C

#29 Post by Anthony C » October 16th, 2020, 10:37 am

Chris Freemott wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 2:01 pm
and ultimately wrote was it is the first large bowled stem for Cab blends which doesn't drill your nasal passage with alcohol.
This is the problem I always had with my Riedel Somm Bdx glasses and why I am liking the Cru and 1855 over them. The Riedel was great for in-glass decanting/aeration. However I always got that ethanol hit and then had to fish around for the other aromas.

Not so much with the 1855 and Cru, the aromas are just focused, which is nice.

And on the subject of the Mineralite, I like mine, but my nose is probably the largest that could fit in that opening. I've had friends and family complain it was uncomfortable to drink from. So while I think it's great for the acidic whites, I can understand if some find the ergonomics challenging.
C u r t a s

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food." -- W. C. Fields

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#30 Post by Chris Freemott » October 16th, 2020, 1:13 pm

And on the subject of the Mineralite, I like mine, but my nose is probably the largest that could fit in that opening. I've had friends and family complain it was uncomfortable to drink from. So while I think it's great for the acidic whites, I can understand if some find the ergonomics challenging.
Yup - polarizing glass. I love it. And, it's quite popular in Asian markets. Southern Europe...nope.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » October 16th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Chris Freemott wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 1:13 pm

Yup - polarizing glass. I love it. And, it's quite popular in Asian markets. Southern Europe...nope.
Right, one more crack like that....

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#32 Post by Chris Freemott » October 17th, 2020, 7:41 am

:)

Oh, Dave, the above winemakers I reference all use Liberté

Dave McCloskey

#33 Post by Dave McCloskey » October 20th, 2020, 6:54 am

The glass comparison has been set for Saturday Nov. 14. I was able to pull in four members from our wine club, including the owner who has an encyclopedic knowledge of wine. We'll compare at least two Riedel glass designs, three from Grassl and the Zalto Burgundy.

Category of wines included in the test are as follows:

1. Old world white, lighter in body
2. Full body Chardonnay, probably a single vineyard Aubert
3. Medium body red, like a CdP or Oregon Pinot
4. Full body red, perhaps a Syrah (Shiraz), CA Cab, Bordeaux blend

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » October 20th, 2020, 8:32 am

Assuming your goal is to pick wines that "should" show better in different glasses than the other wines in the tasting (and that may well not be your goal), I would suggest changing 3 to something old world and from some place cooler than CdP - Burgundy or Piedmont, or the more traditional higher-altitude parts of Tuscany. For 1, within your suggestion, I think a riesling or Loire chenin would be great.

Dave McCloskey

#35 Post by Dave McCloskey » October 21st, 2020, 8:49 am

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 8:32 am
Assuming your goal is to pick wines that "should" show better in different glasses than the other wines in the tasting (and that may well not be your goal), I would suggest changing 3 to something old world and from some place cooler than CdP - Burgundy or Piedmont, or the more traditional higher-altitude parts of Tuscany. For 1, within your suggestion, I think a riesling or Loire chenin would be great.
I can go along with that approach to #3.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Anton D » October 21st, 2020, 5:18 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 6:19 pm
Trust Chris.
+1
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Dave McCloskey

#37 Post by Dave McCloskey » October 23rd, 2020, 8:38 am

The Grassl glasses arrived yesterday and unbeknownst to me my wife picked up two extra of the 1855, so now I have 4 of them. We did a preliminary test last night with the Cru against a Penner Ash Pinot Glass. The wine was a 2012 Rhys Alpine Vineyard PN. Both my wife and I thought the Grassl Cru was superior in bouquet presentation. The Penner Ash glass allowed an alcohol note to resonate up through the glass, not so with the Grassl Cru. On the palate we went back and forth on which one was better. Initially the Penner Ash glass seemed to create less astringency, acid and green notes. However, over time it flipped back an forth and ultimately I thought the Cru provided the overall better experience. Lastly, I would say I slightly prefer the lip design on the Zalto Burgundy a bit better, as it's a bit smoother than the Cru.

More to come...

Return to “Wine 101: The Basics”