Tannin Descriptions

A section for those relatively new to wine, 'geeks in training', and for common wine topics
Mattstolz

Tannin Descriptions

#1 Post by Mattstolz » June 29th, 2017, 6:27 am

What is the difference between different descriptions of tannins? Chewy, fine, structured, etc... is that something you FEEL as you try a wine, or do you taste it, or what?

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

Tannin Descriptions

#2 Post by alan weinberg » June 30th, 2017, 9:52 pm

feel and taste. You develop the vocabulary over time and learn that they are round, resolved, rough, grainy, etc. Tea is a great way to taste tannin.

Ian Sutton

Tannin Descriptions

#3 Post by Ian Sutton » July 2nd, 2017, 3:14 pm

FWIW I've never developed a wide TN vocabulary of type of tannins, preferring instead to focus more on what they contribute to the wine as a whole, so mainly it's about their strength, though I might talk of bitterness from tannins, or rustic tannins. I know there are people who will describe them in a range (e.g.) from velvety, through fine grained to angular/chunky. If that works for you, then go for it.
Normal for Norfolk

Adam Z A K K A

Tannin Descriptions

#4 Post by Adam Z A K K A » December 13th, 2017, 10:36 am

Anyone ever classify not by flavor profile of tannin, but the dryness sensation on the sides of the tongue?

Ian Sutton

Tannin Descriptions

#5 Post by Ian Sutton » December 18th, 2017, 5:19 am

Hi Adam
If that's something like no tannic grip, slight grip, moderately grippy, firm grip, astringent, who stole all the moisture from my mouth?!!!, then that's a reasonable way to look at it.

Always this will be in the context of the wine as a whole, as moderate tannins in a light 'nouveau' red, or skin contact 'orange' wine might stand out boldly, whereas firmer tannins in a boldly fruited red wine might be harder to spot. Then food can make a massive difference - notably spicy food which can make a tannic wine feel awkward, whereas roasted or grilled red meat can eat up the tannins.

Regards
Ian
Normal for Norfolk

DaveStein

Re: Tannin Descriptions

#6 Post by DaveStein » September 10th, 2018, 8:06 am

Hello, i'm very new to all of this and as I read I keep expecting something to click, an "Ah-hah" moment as Oprah used to say. And honestly the more I read the more complex and diverse it becomes

Ian Sutton

Re: Tannin Descriptions

#7 Post by Ian Sutton » September 11th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Hi Dave
Not an unusual experience. It keeps it all interesting.

All I'd say is take it at a pace that suits you. Simply recognising what tannins are is a great start point, though it seems to come easier to people who drink strong tea!

Regards
Ian
Normal for Norfolk

Return to “Wine 101: The Basics”