1st Trappist Brewery in US

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
J Sullivan
Posts: 430
Joined: February 3rd, 2011, 11:12 am
Location: Mountain View, CA

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#1 Post by J Sullivan » January 10th, 2014, 10:21 am

Looks like Trappist monks here in Massachusetts have built the first Trappist brewery outside of Europe. The beer's supposed to hit retail shelves next week!

Short story here: http://bo.st/1cJPIKz
J o r d @ n S u l l i v @ n

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4307
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#2 Post by Paul Miller » January 10th, 2014, 10:33 am

Finding the hop character is always a challenge with Belgian beer.

Someone who knows more about beer - why is that the case?

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 13916
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#3 Post by Jorge Henriquez » January 10th, 2014, 10:52 am

Paul Miller wrote:Finding the hop character is always a challenge with Belgian beer.

Someone who knows more about beer - why is that the case?
Traditional "noble" hops used in Europe have low alpha acid levels. They are normally added early in the boil. Hop aroma & flavor are provided by later additions (usually 5 minutes or later before flameout). Also, heavily hoppy beers are usually dry or wet-hopped after primary fermentation is over. This is where the real hoppy flavors & aromas come from.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - Golden Vines
http://golden-vines.com/

User avatar
Joe Hauck
Posts: 3982
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Location: Las Vegas

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#4 Post by Joe Hauck » January 10th, 2014, 2:20 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:Finding the hop character is always a challenge with Belgian beer.

Someone who knows more about beer - why is that the case?
Traditional "noble" hops used in Europe have low alpha acid levels. They are normally added early in the boil. Hop aroma & flavor are provided by later additions (usually 5 minutes or later before flameout). Also, heavily hoppy beers are usually dry or wet-hopped after primary fermentation is over. This is where the real hoppy flavors & aromas come from.

Look at you! all smarty pants and shit!
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 13916
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#5 Post by Jorge Henriquez » January 10th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Joe Hauck wrote:
Jorge Henriquez wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:Finding the hop character is always a challenge with Belgian beer.

Someone who knows more about beer - why is that the case?
Traditional "noble" hops used in Europe have low alpha acid levels. They are normally added early in the boil. Hop aroma & flavor are provided by later additions (usually 5 minutes or later before flameout). Also, heavily hoppy beers are usually dry or wet-hopped after primary fermentation is over. This is where the real hoppy flavors & aromas come from.

Look at you! all smarty pants and shit!
Better than shitty pants and smart. No? [drinkers.gif]
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - Golden Vines
http://golden-vines.com/

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4307
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#6 Post by Paul Miller » January 10th, 2014, 3:10 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:Finding the hop character is always a challenge with Belgian beer.

Someone who knows more about beer - why is that the case?
Traditional "noble" hops used in Europe have low alpha acid levels. They are normally added early in the boil. Hop aroma & flavor are provided by later additions (usually 5 minutes or later before flameout). Also, heavily hoppy beers are usually dry or wet-hopped after primary fermentation is over. This is where the real hoppy flavors & aromas come from.
Thanks!

User avatar
Roberto Rogness
Posts: 18971
Joined: February 10th, 2009, 10:16 am
Location: Santa Monica, Rio de Janeiro

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#7 Post by Roberto Rogness » January 10th, 2014, 3:11 pm

There's a new Trappist brewery in Austria as well, the brothers seem to be on a roll:

http://beerpulse.com/2012/06/stift-enge ... is-summer/
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!

User avatar
Matthew Brown
Posts: 5465
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 10:03 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA/ITB

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#8 Post by Matthew Brown » January 10th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Roberto Rogness wrote:There's a new Trappist brewery in Austria as well, the brothers seem to be on a roll:

http://beerpulse.com/2012/06/stift-enge ... is-summer/
Great stuff, too. Not trying to emulate past Trappist Dubble/Tripel styles, forging their own path. All use a wine yeast that imparts a vinous quality in the beers; Gregorious is somewhat Orval-esque, and the Benno has a smoky Rauchbier tone behind the dark malt. Yummy stuff.
The Chav who mostly isn't.

User avatar
Gerry Morrisey
Posts: 382
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:39 pm
Location: Tyngsboro, MA

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#9 Post by Gerry Morrisey » January 23rd, 2014, 5:00 pm

The Spencer Trappist Ale was finally released this week and picked up a 4 pk. Have not had a chance to try it yet

User avatar
Bob Kaminski
Posts: 1404
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 3:19 pm
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#10 Post by Bob Kaminski » January 26th, 2014, 9:36 am

Gerry Morrisey wrote:The Spencer Trappist Ale was finally released this week and picked up a 4 pk. Have not had a chance to try it yet
Gerry - I tried it and it is not my style. It has a strong clove taste on the back end which I do not enjoy at all. That's fine as it is $17.99 for a 4-pack and the bottles are not even 12 oz. I guess I am not a true beer connoisseur.

User avatar
Gerry Morrisey
Posts: 382
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:39 pm
Location: Tyngsboro, MA

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#11 Post by Gerry Morrisey » January 28th, 2014, 9:55 am

Bob Kaminski wrote:
Gerry Morrisey wrote:The Spencer Trappist Ale was finally released this week and picked up a 4 pk. Have not had a chance to try it yet
Gerry - I tried it and it is not my style. It has a strong clove taste on the back end which I do not enjoy at all. That's fine as it is $17.99 for a 4-pack and the bottles are not even 12 oz. I guess I am not a true beer connoisseur.

Bob, I pretty much agree with your assessment. It does have a strong clove and rather fruity personality that I find not my style. It's a similar profile to a few German beers I've had that make me ask " Other than the story behind the brewery, what makes this so special?" Unfortunately, nothing. My fear is this could go badly for them without some changes. They made a huge investment by the looks of the brewery but the marketing of an 11.2 oz bottle at a retail of $5/bottle without any "knock your socks off" quality into an already crowded market place could be problematic. Their initial sales will do well given the publicity and people wanting to support local business but after a couple of sips I had to ask myself what the big deal was.

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4645
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: MA

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#12 Post by Doug Schulman » June 15th, 2015, 6:18 am

I just thought to revisit this and add my thoughts on Spencer Trappist Ale. I think it's nice, but really doesn't measure up to the Belgian Trappists. It doesn't have the depth of flavor or harmony of pretty much any of the widely available Belgian examples, in my opinion. I'm not a buyer at $18/4-pack. It's nice that they're doing this in the US, though, and maybe later releases will be better.

Also, this beer is extremely easy to find.
ITB - retail sales and education

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 13916
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#13 Post by Jorge Henriquez » June 15th, 2015, 8:03 am

Doug Schulman wrote:I'm not a buyer at $18/4-pack. Also, this beer is extremely easy to find.
How about at $75?

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 7&t=116022

[pwn.gif] [pwn.gif] [pwn.gif]
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - Golden Vines
http://golden-vines.com/

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 29221
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#14 Post by c fu » June 15th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
Doug Schulman wrote:I'm not a buyer at $18/4-pack. Also, this beer is extremely easy to find.
How about at $75?

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 7&t=116022

[pwn.gif] [pwn.gif] [pwn.gif]
I can't even lol harder.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 37564
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#15 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 15th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Doug Schulman wrote:I'm not a buyer at $18/4-pack.
That's St. Bernardus ABT 12 money, right there!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4645
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: MA

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#16 Post by Doug Schulman » July 2nd, 2015, 4:15 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
Doug Schulman wrote:I'm not a buyer at $18/4-pack. Also, this beer is extremely easy to find.
How about at $75?

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 7&t=116022

[pwn.gif] [pwn.gif] [pwn.gif]
That might have had something to do with my post.
ITB - retail sales and education

User avatar
Mike.Young
Posts: 267
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 9:48 am

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#17 Post by Mike.Young » August 13th, 2015, 7:34 am

The abbey is very nice. They also make very tasty jams and preserves there. They have a little gift shop with all sorts of Trappist goodies. It is a little over and hour drive from Boston and worth the trip.

http://www.spencerabbey.org/

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6147
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#18 Post by Drew Goin » August 13th, 2015, 8:10 am

Trappist breweries had open ceiling/roofs for airborne yeast to ferment the beer. Who would want to do this anywhere near a city?

User avatar
Matthew Brown
Posts: 5465
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 10:03 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA/ITB

1st Trappist Brewery in US

#19 Post by Matthew Brown » August 13th, 2015, 8:23 am

Drew Goin wrote:Trappist breweries had open ceiling/roofs for airborne yeast to ferment the beer. Who would want to do this anywhere near a city?
Not really. That's gueuze/lambics, and the most famous one, Cantillon, is in Brussles.
The Chav who mostly isn't.

Post Reply

Return to “Beer and Spirits”