Sazerac Rye: does it get any better for under $30?

If you think there’s even anything as good, I’d love to know what it is. I have just been loving this entry-level (obviously not the 18 year, which I hope to try someday buy have never even seen) Sazerac Rye. Redemption used to be a favorite of mine, but I tried them neat, side by side, and the Sazerac made me not even like the Redemption. (Okay, I still like it, but that bottle won’t get touched while I have Sazerac around.) Such character, such integration of alcohol, such delightful rye spice, everything I want in something that is really affordable. No, it doesn’t have the complexity of Whistle Pig, Handy, or Taylor, but it’s less than half the price of any of those! I wish I could get this stuff all the time, but it’s allocated around here. Fortunately for me, the less common ryes aren’t popular at all compared to the less common Bourbons, so I’ll happily buy a bottle of Handy and one of Taylor each time I get the chance, and buy as much as possible of this Sazerac while it’s around.

The Jefferson’s 10 Year and the Russel’s Reserve 6 year are my go-tos. Still haven’t tried the Sazerac.

Rittenhouse bonded rye, it’s 100 proof and my go to rye for Manhattans. Usually under $25, superb for the price. Don’t be dissuaded by the bottle, it looks cheap but the whiskey inside is the real deal.

Rittenhouse is good for cocktails but it is not my favorite to drink straight. Sazerac OTOH is great for both. Superior IMO.

I do love Bulleit Rye for around $25, although I mostly use it for cocktails.

Doug –

There are a couple of Jefferson 10 yr single barrel selections at Julios (I see you are in MA) that I can personally recommend.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll have to try a Jefferson 10yr. To clarify for those who haven’t had it, Sazerac is easily of high enough quality to drink neat or on the rocks by just about anyone’s standard. I never mix it. I’ve had Bulleit and, while good, I don’t think it holds a candle to Sazerac.

I also like Rittenhouse, Bulleit, Knob Creek and George Dickel ryes, but the Thomas Handy Sazerac is terrific. Have to cut it down to around 100 proof. Used to like Wild Turkey rye until they reduced it to 81 proof. Not a fan of Templeton, Masterson’s or Whistle Pig - though I hear that the 11 year-old Whistle Pig is great, but about $120.
Just got a bottle of the Pepper 1776 and have made a couple Manhattans with it and am impressed.

I did a side by side test recently of Sazerac vs Rittenhouse in making a Sazerac cocktail & its namesake won hands down. Unfortunately it’s fairly hard to come by in Ohio, I had to grab my most recent bottle in NY while visiting my in-laws. But yeah, really nice for the price.

Yeah, David, I probably shouldn’t have even brought it up as this has to be one of the hardest to get whiskies in this price range. I was kind of hoping to find a more readily available alternative that’s just as good, but it seems like that might not exist.

Sazerac under $30, Templeton under $40

I like Rittenhouse for Manhattans because I find it to be bourbon-y, which helps cut through some of the sweetness of the vermouth & cherries (and I think a proper Manhattan should have some of the base spirit shine through). I use Sazerac for everything else.

I think Willett is the best rye in the $30-ish range ($34.99 here). The Bulleit rye is pretty good too (better than their bourbon).

So forgive the newb question, but when you order a sazerac do you specify the rye if they have any of your favs?

I tried Willett recently and loved it. I think it’s the best I’ve had for under or around $40 (a few of us tasted it side by side with Templeton, which is nice, but I think no competition for the Willett).

I just recently bought a bottle of this - I was looking for something stronger than the 80 proof Templeton I’d been using. I like it.

The perfect rye for a manhattan.

http://live.wsj.com/video/the-manhattan-a-classic-cocktail-celebration/A93E5318-4E9E-47D9-9F23-FB6BE97067F8.html#!A93E5318-4E9E-47D9-9F23-FB6BE97067F8

If anyone is looking for Sazerac Rye from a place that will ship, it’s 32.99 here.

I’ll get a ten buck credit if you order with the link ( which I’ll use to buy some more! ). No affiliation here, I was pointed to these guys for a place that might have some Weller 12 yr. to ship. They didn’t but I bit on some Sazerac from them since I’ve never seen a bottle in Ohio. I did manage to find some weller too thankfully, Does anyone else have any other online sources for shipping spirits?

Are these whiskies that hard to find? Maybe I take life in the south for granted…

Not too difficult to find in most states. But we usually have to look to out of state sources for better selection and prices.