Best Beer Bars in America

I’ve started a Facebook interest list… https://www.facebook.com/lists/10151523530587346

The list is just getting started and is mostly the best of Portland with Apex, Bailey’s, Horse Brass and Saraveza getting it started.

The best beer bar I’ve ever been to is also on the list – Churchkey in DC. I’ve never run across the level of curation at Churchkey anywhere else. This weekend’s tap list: http://birchandbarley.com/documents/ONLINEDRAFTLIST4-6-13.pdf It’s shared between the downstairs restaurant and the upstairs bar.

Please propose other entries for the list and why! Make the case. Saraveza doesn’t have a great selection, but they make the list because of their awesome events – like the 2 day Saison & Wild Ale fest they just ran.

If you disagree with my entries that’s okay too. [stirthepothal.gif]

Bring it on.

Najas Place in Redondo Beach, CA. I will expound on why later, when I’m not on my phone.

It is – by far – the best U.S. beer bar I’ve been to. By far.

A vote for Trappist in Oakland. And here’s a wager Mikkeller Bar, SF joins this list.

Brouwers in Seattle has the best cellar list I’ve ever seen.

I love Brouwers. And Beveridge Place in West Seattle. Beer Junction may attain these heights someday soon.

Blind Tiger in NYC. Stunning.

Definitely!

Hay Merchant in Houston is excellent. Mongoose v. Cobra is good too.

I think Novare Res in Portland, ME deserves a spot on the list.

I plan my Southern California visits around Najas Place - by FAR the best beer bar in America - And I have been in the Craft beer biz since 1991 and have visited a hell of a lot of craft beer bars - Najas is in a class by itself -

in chicago:

hopleaf
map room
bangers&lace
local option
sheffield’s

would be my choices that aren’t brewpub or brewery based

Michigan:

Hop Cats
The Wurst Bar
Ashley’s

Abraxas Lounge in Miami. Excellent tap and bottle selection, knowledgeable staff, the correct glasses and the correct pours. Nicely sort of seedy.

This thread contains more than 100 examples of why I consider Naja’s Place to be the best beer bar in America: Naja’s: Intrepid Beers in D major; an ongoing saga - Beer and Spirits - WineBerserkers

Additionally, I feel that Naja’s Place is in the running for Best Beer Bar in the World, but Akkurat Bar in Stockholm, as well as the Delerium Cafe in Brussels, both give Naja’s a serious run for its money.

One of the many things I love about Naja’s: they do not f*ck around. This is a no-frills beer bar. They wash their lines daily, and their lines are 1 to 6 feet long (nice and short, just the way they should be). Tons of awesome bottles. 88 taps (most of them are high-quality craft brews), and most of those 88 rotate. An annual IPA festival with 40+ IPA’s on at the same time. Other focused festivals throughout the year. A neat location on the harbor just north of the Redondo pier.

One of my most important goals in life is to own and operate Naja’s. Wish me luck. [drinkers.gif]

I love that place.

Michael Bowden and John Liotta were singing the praises of some beer bar in Atlanta, stating it was perhaps the best in the country

And they do one simple thing that so many beer bars forget: peanuts and pretzels - and the owner (now former owner?) is an absolute doll -

Probably my favorite beer bar outside of Naja’s is; THE OLD FASHIONED in Madison Wisconsin -

They only serve Wisconsin foods and beers - 52 Wisconsin beers on tap - 100+ Wisconsin beers by the bottle - the menu is absolutely awesome with lazy susans full of Wisconsin sausage and cheeses - Terrific ownership and service -

Just check out this “Lazy Susan” offering - $15 on the menu - and these are huge - 3-4 people can get filled up on them -

Miesfeld market holiday garlic salami, Bavaria Sausage Kitchen’s Braunschweiger, smoked lake trout, creamed herring, Dusseldorf mustard, dill pickles, deviled eggs, Widmer’s Brick spread, Vern’s Sharp Cheddar spread, crackers & rye bread

http://www.theoldfashioned.com/beer-and-spirits/

Wow - reading that makes me long for some WI grub. Good thing I’ll be (briefly) there this weekend

3 places in PDX sound a lot like Naja’s except the 88 taps is certainly a leader.

What I like about Churchkey is curation. What do I mean by that?

• Every beer is served in a glass appropriate to the style
  • Ever beer is served at the temperature appropriate to the style
  • A balanced selection at all times with multiple choices for each of their style categories.

None of the top Portland, OR beer bars do any of those 3. You get what you get the day you show up. They are all served at the same temp (save cask pours). They all provide just 2 choices of glassware. Most go into pints, some go into snifters.

For most of the nominations I’m still looking for the case to be made. What differentiates the beer bar from the merely very good like the Green Dragon in PDX or Beer Mongers in PDX.