Beer Trading Feedback

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Beer Trading Feedback

#1 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 18th, 2013, 4:12 pm

I know we have a Commerce Corner Feedback thread/sub-sub forum, but it seems like it would be beneficial to have this particular thread in here. Maybe this would be better as a sub-sub forum, as in Commerce Corner. I'll inquire of the mods about this.

I know many of the folks here trade brews with each other, but not all of us know each other, so I thought it might be helpful for us to share experiences in this thread/sub-sub forum. As I think about it, the sub-sub forum is probably the better option, if the mods are so willing.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

William Segui
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Beer Trading Feedback

#2 Post by William Segui » February 18th, 2013, 4:57 pm

I'd be into this. I can always use more eyes when trying to get more BCBS!

BRhoades

#3 Post by BRhoades » February 18th, 2013, 5:42 pm

I would support this as well. Beer trading is so much fun and as an active trader on BA I would love to share the wealth within the Beerserker Community. grouphug

Cheers....

Bud
It aint wine all the time

BRhoades

#4 Post by BRhoades » February 18th, 2013, 5:45 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:I know we have a Commerce Corner Feedback thread/sub-sub forum, but it seems like it would be beneficial to have this particular thread in here. Maybe this would be better as a sub-sub forum, as in Commerce Corner. I'll inquire of the mods about this.

I know many of the folks here trade brews with each other, but not all of us know each other, so I thought it might be helpful for us to share experiences in this thread/sub-sub forum. As I think about it, the sub-sub forum is probably the better option, if the mods are so willing.
" Hi my name is Bud and I'm a beer trader "

Cheers....

Joe Hauck

#5 Post by Joe Hauck » February 18th, 2013, 5:56 pm

[welldone.gif]

I'm in as well.
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

Brad Walden

#6 Post by Brad Walden » February 18th, 2013, 6:32 pm

I'm down!

Mel Hill

#7 Post by Mel Hill » February 18th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Will S. and Rob W. have been very good to me!
Thanks guys!

Ryan Kilkenney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » February 18th, 2013, 6:43 pm

Great idea.

J Sullivan

#9 Post by J Sullivan » February 18th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Brilliant
J o r d @ n S u l l i v @ n

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#10 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 18th, 2013, 7:43 pm

Are you asking for both a CC and feedback forum?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 18th, 2013, 10:33 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Are you asking for both a CC and feedback forum?
Just a feedback sub-forum within the B&S sub-forum (a Beer & Spirits sub-sub-forum, if you will). I think this sub-forum (B&S) is sleepy enough that CC posts can be placed within the B&S sub-forum, itself, or in the regular CC.

The proposed Beer and Spirits Feedback sub-sub-forum wouldn't even appear on the Board Index, just like the Commerce Corner Feedback sub-sub-forum doesn't appear on the Board Index right now.

Thanks for considering this, Todd.

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Matthew Brown

#12 Post by Matthew Brown » February 19th, 2013, 6:58 am

Maybe it could start out as a permanent stickie thread at the top of the Beer and Spirits forum, and then develop it into its own sub-forum as it warrants expansion. Since this is a predominantly wine board there may not be a bunch of traders outside the usual suspects already here, and may not require that much resource usage. But I have been wrong once or twice in my life....
The Chav who mostly isn't.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 21st, 2013, 4:57 am

Yeah, I'm fine with a thread, too; folks just need to understand that the best way to make such a thread useful is the "search this topic" search box/function. If this thread really does gain traction and continues to be used, it may eventually become somewhat cumbersome; this is something we can worry about at a later point in time, however.

Also: it is important that we be mindful of posting each other's names in a fashion identical to how we post our own names (i.e. with spaces and/or characters substituting for letters, so as to trick the Google indexing and search functions).

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 21st, 2013, 4:58 am

I have had positive experience trading beer with B0b H u d @ k. [cheers.gif]

BobH

#15 Post by BobH » February 21st, 2013, 8:13 am

Brian, you are thinking right up my alley. Honestly, since joining this sub forum a little while ago, I have been shocked at the lack of horsetrading. In my mind- beer is MUCH MORE subject to trades and swaps even than wine is. Why? Because so much of beer is found regionally. You can get an awesome brew in one state that is never found in the next state over. Even in the second most backwater alcohol state in the US (behind Utah) I have easy access to highly sought after brews that are less easy to find in other places (such as DogFIsh Head, Ommegang, Troegg and Soutern Tier among others). I'd be happy to trade some away in order to try stuff that never makes it this far east such as that Russian RIver Brewing Company that gets raved about. Just the other day I was looking at different beers from The Bruery (sp) one of those microbrew places that the beer folks love and give huge ratings to. Picked up their Saison Rue.
hud@k

BobH

#16 Post by BobH » February 21st, 2013, 12:35 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: Also: it is important that we be mindful of posting each other's names in a fashion identical to how we post our own names (i.e. with spaces and/or characters substituting for letters, so as to trick the Google indexing and search functions).
[thankyou.gif] [thumbs-up.gif]
hud@k

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#17 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 21st, 2013, 12:38 pm

Matthew Brown wrote:Maybe it could start out as a permanent stickie thread at the top of the Beer and Spirits forum, and then develop it into its own sub-forum as it warrants expansion. Since this is a predominantly wine board there may not be a bunch of traders outside the usual suspects already here, and may not require that much resource usage. But I have been wrong once or twice in my life....
Good plan, however, wouldn't each transaction/listing need its own thread? The feedback can be on a sticky, that's no biggie, but to have the trading threads on one master thread would be messy.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 21st, 2013, 1:59 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Matthew Brown wrote:Maybe it could start out as a permanent stickie thread at the top of the Beer and Spirits forum, and then develop it into its own sub-forum as it warrants expansion. Since this is a predominantly wine board there may not be a bunch of traders outside the usual suspects already here, and may not require that much resource usage. But I have been wrong once or twice in my life....
Good plan, however, wouldn't each transaction/listing need its own thread?
Yes.
The feedback can be on a sticky, that's no biggie, but to have the trading threads on one master thread would be messy.
IMO, having the feedback in one master thread is equally messy, but we're all adults here and can figure out how to work with it. [cheers.gif]

Matthew Brown

#19 Post by Matthew Brown » February 21st, 2013, 2:27 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Good plan, however, wouldn't each transaction/listing need its own thread? The feedback can be on a sticky, that's no biggie, but to have the trading threads on one master thread would be messy.
Agreed. Just wasn't sure if there was going to be enough traffic to support a whole sub-forum, especially if it's mostly the same group of guys trading among themselves. Also, I won't be one doing any beer trading (have a few dozen beers already in the store yet to taste I still need to throw money at), so take any recommendations with that grain of salt. If there's a need for a thriving sub-forum, more Berserker power to us!
The Chav who mostly isn't.

Anthony Lombardi

#20 Post by Anthony Lombardi » February 21st, 2013, 4:13 pm

Some etiquette suggestions we could add as part of the sticky for first timers:

1. Determine an agreed on value of the trade. I will always go retail with people on this board, but some may feel strongly that their bottle of Cantillon or Westy is worth secondary market in trade. Come to consensus, if you can't- don't trade.

Exchange contact info beyond board PM's & deliver tracking #'s to each other. Communicate with each other on timing/ expectations.

Extras are nice to throw in, but not everyone does them. I do them if I've made multiple trades w/the person or I've gotten to know them. The trade terms are agreed on by the two parties, if you throw in extras & your partner doesn't, they haven't screwed you.

If a bottle is damaged, or the shipper doesn't deliver the package, you are on the hook. If you have received the package from your partner, & yours doesn't get delivered- make it right ASAP w/ your partner.

Finally- don't send crappy beers. That Pliny you found in the back of your fridge that was there for 3 months is likely not the one your partner is seeking.

For those who have made trades in the past, I know this stuff seems obvious. I do think there are some people on the board who will dive into this who haven't previously traded, so this is my crack at giving some basics. Please add to it anything I've missed.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 21st, 2013, 5:18 pm

Anthony Lombardi wrote:Some etiquette suggestions we could add as part of the sticky for first timers:
... Please add to it anything I've missed.
--- Don't dilly-dally. It really sucks when you send your shipment out right away, and then you have to wait (often with no communication from the other party) for the other party to ship "when they feel like it." Be forthright about WHEN you're able and willing to ship --- and do this from the get-go.

--- Communicate. It only takes 1 minute to send a PM or email, so "I'm too busy" is really a piss-poor excuse for not doing so. If you're too busy to communicate in a timely manner, then you're too busy to trade.

Joe Hauck

#22 Post by Joe Hauck » February 21st, 2013, 6:35 pm

b hudak wrote:Brian, you are thinking right up my alley. Honestly, since joining this sub forum a little while ago, I have been shocked at the lack of horsetrading. In my mind- beer is MUCH MORE subject to trades and swaps even than wine is. Why? Because so much of beer is found regionally. You can get an awesome brew in one state that is never found in the next state over. Even in the second most backwater alcohol state in the US (behind Utah) I have easy access to highly sought after brews that are less easy to find in other places (such as DogFIsh Head, Ommegang, Troegg and Soutern Tier among others). I'd be happy to trade some away in order to try stuff that never makes it this far east such as that Russian RIver Brewing Company that gets raved about. Just the other day I was looking at different beers from The Bruery (sp) one of those microbrew places that the beer folks love and give huge ratings to. Picked up their Saison Rue.
Be careful pouring that Saison Rue Bob, those suckers are gushers.
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

BobH

#23 Post by BobH » February 21st, 2013, 6:41 pm

Joe, for some odd reason, that reminds me of an episode of "the Courtship of Eddie's Father". Heaven help the person who is old enough to remember that show (and worse- if it was your favorite show). pileon hitsfan [whistle.gif] [oops.gif] [pillow-fight.gif]
hud@k

Joe Hauck

#24 Post by Joe Hauck » February 22nd, 2013, 6:26 am

b hudak wrote:Joe, for some odd reason, that reminds me of an episode of "the Courtship of Eddie's Father". Heaven help the person who is old enough to remember that show (and worse- if it was your favorite show). pileon hitsfan [whistle.gif] [oops.gif] [pillow-fight.gif]
Hahaha, you better help me then. I probably watched every episode, Bill Bixby and Mrs. Livingston!

BobH

#25 Post by BobH » February 27th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Is this going to be the thread for feedback or is it going somewhere else? I am confused apparently. I wanted to make sure that people here know that I have utmost confidence in Joe and Brian if folks are going to trade with them. I won't give their last names for Google reasons but if you can't figure out who the brian and Joe of the beer forum are, then you're just not paying attention. [berserker.gif]
hud@k

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 27th, 2013, 6:24 pm

I take it that THIS is THE thread for beer (and spirits?) trading feedback. [wow.gif] pepsi [berserker.gif]

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 28th, 2013, 10:05 am

I've also had positive experience trading with Joe and Jorge. It should be noted, however, that with those two I met them in person, so undoubtedly the physical intimidation factor was in play with those transactions. [snort.gif]

BRhoades

#28 Post by BRhoades » February 28th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:I've also had positive experience trading with Joe and Jorge. It should be noted, however, that with those two I met them in person, so undoubtedly the physical intimidation factor was in play with those transactions. [snort.gif]
I have had nothing but great experiences with the folks here on the beerserker page. In process now with Mr.Akers on what will be another successful trade.

Cheers.....

Bud

Mike Daniel

#29 Post by Mike Daniel » March 1st, 2013, 5:50 pm

I have been a lurker on this beer forum but would gladly trade here. I have used this commerce corner and been nothing but satisfied with it...I would expect no less on the beer forum. Also, I think this is a fantastic idea; I agree that beer is something much more regionalized than wine and it makes even more sense to have something like this on Wineberserkers. I haven't done beer trades before but I, like Bob, can easily access certain beer such as Southern Tier, Troegs, etc but would love to get my hands on some of the harder to find Great Lakes beers and some West Coast Beers such as Russian River.
w

BobH

#30 Post by BobH » March 2nd, 2013, 6:52 am

Great Lakes is pretty accessible arounbd here.

I spoke with another BB member who wanted Leifman's Goudenbrand and finds it hard to find. I trip over it around here. I am sure there are tons of examples like this. If you want something, just ask. Like Mike, I'd like to try Russian rIver only because you guys talk about it here so much.
hud@k

Mike Daniel

#31 Post by Mike Daniel » March 2nd, 2013, 4:51 pm

Bob,

Have you seen the Blackout Stout or their newest double IPA, Alchemy Hour, around you? Some of the places around me carry their basic stuff and even some seasonal beers like Conway's Irish Ale, but I haven't had much luck with the two I mentioned.

William Segui
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#32 Post by William Segui » March 2nd, 2013, 5:04 pm

I've traded with Ryan Kilkenney twice. So awesome to have a trader in the Chicago area -- but I'd like to keep him to myself if possible, so please disregard.

BobH

#33 Post by BobH » March 3rd, 2013, 12:54 pm

Mike Daniel wrote:Bob,

Have you seen the Blackout Stout or their newest double IPA, Alchemy Hour, around you? Some of the places around me carry their basic stuff and even some seasonal beers like Conway's Irish Ale, but I haven't had much luck with the two I mentioned.
Argh! I wish I had seen this last night as I drove right by the store. I'll check this week for you.
hud@k

Peter C.

#34 Post by Peter C. » March 3rd, 2013, 4:49 pm

Plenty of BCBS in my parts if anyone is after any. I think it's $24.99/4-pack.
( z y ® y ( @

William Segui
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#35 Post by William Segui » March 3rd, 2013, 5:13 pm

Peter -- any of the variants (Coffee, Cherry Rye, Bramble, etc)? I'm set on the regular, but would love the others.

Ryan Kilkenney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » March 3rd, 2013, 6:03 pm

William Segui wrote:I've traded with Ryan Kilkenney twice. So awesome to have a trader in the Chicago area -- but I'd like to keep him to myself if possible, so please disregard.
Successful trades from my perspective, too.

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Keith A k e r s » March 4th, 2013, 1:40 pm

traded with bud rhoades and had a great transaction. I've also traded with Jorge and Mark Franks and have had great transactions with them as well

Anthony Lombardi

#38 Post by Anthony Lombardi » March 11th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Peter C= Fantastic trader. Timely, communicative & easy to work with. Just checked & your box should arrive tomorrow Peter!

Peter C.

#39 Post by Peter C. » March 12th, 2013, 9:43 am

Anthony Lombardi wrote:Peter C= Fantastic trader. Timely, communicative & easy to work with. Just checked & your box should arrive tomorrow Peter!
Right back at Anthony, easy as pie. Psyched to try some new beers!
( z y ® y ( @

Scott Butler

#40 Post by Scott Butler » March 15th, 2013, 12:45 pm

I've had very positive experiences with Peter C as well. A+

I've also had a transaction with G Barkley that went very well. Another A+

If anyone ever needs anything from the Carolinas, just let me know. Terrapin make some great stuff, and there is a lot of micro-producers in area.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Peter C.

#41 Post by Peter C. » March 15th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Butler your 8-pack for chugalug goes out Monday.
( z y ® y ( @

BobH

#42 Post by BobH » March 17th, 2013, 1:40 pm

M1ke D@niel rules! If you want to trade with him, he is da man.

edited to make his name non-google searchable. My fault, sorry about that.
Last edited by BobH on March 18th, 2013, 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
hud@k

Mike Daniel

#43 Post by Mike Daniel » March 17th, 2013, 6:36 pm

I will say the same thing for Bob...he rocks. He went out of his way for me and offered to source some beer for a newcomer to this beer board. I really appreciate it. You gotta love the berserker community!

Scott Butler

#44 Post by Scott Butler » March 18th, 2013, 5:42 am

Peter C. wrote:Butler your 8-pack for chugalug goes out Monday.
Mmmmm, beer!

WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Rob Winn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Rob Winn » March 20th, 2013, 7:10 am

Mel Hill wrote:Will S. and Rob W. have been very good to me!
Thanks guys!

Thank you Mel for trading some of your stuff to SoCal. Much appreciated. [dance-clap.gif]

Rob Winn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Rob Winn » March 20th, 2013, 7:19 am

b hudak wrote:Brian, you are thinking right up my alley. Honestly, since joining this sub forum a little while ago, I have been shocked at the lack of horsetrading. In my mind- beer is MUCH MORE subject to trades and swaps even than wine is. Why? Because so much of beer is found regionally. You can get an awesome brew in one state that is never found in the next state over. Even in the second most backwater alcohol state in the US (behind Utah) I have easy access to highly sought after brews that are less easy to find in other places (such as DogFIsh Head, Ommegang, Troegg and Soutern Tier among others). I'd be happy to trade some away in order to try stuff that never makes it this far east such as that Russian RIver Brewing Company that gets raved about. Just the other day I was looking at different beers from The Bruery (sp) one of those microbrew places that the beer folks love and give huge ratings to. Picked up their Saison Rue.
If there is anything u need from The Bruery I can most likely get it for you. I'm part of their reserve society and I get access to some pretty good stuff. Some beers are more allocated than others. Just let me know.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 21st, 2013, 1:57 am

VERY good to know, Rob. thanks for the standing offer. :).

(see how I just dove in there?!?). ;)

Rob Winn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Rob Winn » March 22nd, 2013, 7:39 am

You got it Brian. When are you coming back?

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 22nd, 2013, 8:12 am

54 weeks from now, Rob.

Although, there is a *very outside* chance it will be 106 weeks.

Rob Winn
GCC Member
GCC Member

Beer Trading Feedback

#50 Post by Rob Winn » March 22nd, 2013, 11:26 pm

106 weeks will wiz on by quickly. You will be back in no time.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”