TN: Bowmore 25 Year Old Islay Single Malt OMFG

Yo Berserkz,

I just had what was the single greatest whisky of my young Berserkdom – the Bowmore 25 Year Old Islay Single Malt. Unfreaking believable.

This sucker has a beautiful dark golden brown color that immediately struck me as sherry influenced and indeed it has been sherry casked per the box. A fantastic nose of malt, cinnamon and roasted walnut which I’ve never gotten from whisky before and was quite surprising. That was just a hint of the greatness to come.

In the mouth… Smooth as silk going down. Truly this is liquid silk. Despite the high ABV, absolutely no burn whatsoever going down, no alcoholic taste or aftertaste at all. Rich butter, waltnut, peat and vanilla flavors. I don’t know if creamy is an appropriate descriptor for whisky, but it applies here. Truly makes me want to throw out my current crop of whiskies – and I think very, very highly of the Glenmorangie cask-finished and Forty Creek whiskies as my previous notes have shown so just imagine how great this is. I can barely describe it as is. No other liqueur, cognac, armagnac, calvados, rum or other whisky has left this kind of impression on me ever before. I’d sell both my child and yours for a bottle of this. flirtysmile

It would actually be very hard to go back to them, in fact… if not for the $400 CDN price tag. I can only pray that the Bowmore 18 year old which is far more affordable is even a quarter as good as this since it’s a quarter of the price. Anything higher in quality makes it my de facto go to whisky. If you can afford this, it’s my ABSOLUTE HIGHEST RECOMMEND EVER for anything I have ever written about in all my time on this board. I can’t believe I didn’t even care for whisky but a few short years ago.

I like your enthusiasm. I’m a fan of Bowmore, not sure if I’ve ever had the 25.

Very nice note Tran, sounds wonderful. A quick question, you mention “Despite the high ABV…” makes me think that you had a cask strength bottling. I didn’t see one on the Bowmore website so I’m curious what the ABV is on your bottle? I would hope to find a bottle for quite a bit less in the states.

Alas I do not own a bottle but had to sample this at an LCBO tasting bar. I almost moved in on them. This was actually a mere" 43% ABV but I am totally cool with that. It means I don’t have to dilute the greatness.

If it ain’t 43, it ain’t Scotch

Had this a few months ago side by side with a Macallan 30 year and much preferred the Bowmore 25 year. Supposedly they stopped making the Bowmore 30 several years ago and added the stock to Bowmore 25, since you have to label it with the youngest of the mix it’s still called Bowmore 25, but unclear if you’re still benefiting from that. Nonetheless, a damn good beverage!

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/Bowmore-25-year-old-Single-Malt_8639

Bowmore 25 is probably my favorite of all time as well. I once got a great deal on a bottle (around $130 usd) and I milked that bottle for about 3 years by saving it only for special occasions.