Stouts

Apparently there isn’t an all-purpose stout topic. As I mentioned in another thread, I was very impressed with a Founders Breakfast Stout I had recently. Keith mentioned a couple from Chicago-based Pipeworks, and I think I have one or two bombers of the Half Acre/Three Floyds oyster-stout collaboration lying around. Any other favorites?

Lost Coast 8-Ball Stout is fabulous: rich, creamy and scented with chocolate and coffee, NOT hops.

If you get the chance to compare/contrast with this, it’s a personal favorite. Got to spend time here while in Dublin and their dark beers all rock the house
http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/beers-oyster.php

Flying Dog Brewery in MD is one of the few domestic micros that has a year round oyster stout aged over the shells vs adding the actual meat. Drinks like a classic Irish, a touch of brine but easily contained. Apparently they have a close friend at the BATF, because anyone that’s old enough to listen to ZZ Top knows this label is very close to NC-17 rating…

http://flyingdogales.com/beers/#/Year-Round/Pearl+Necklace

YES! We are pouring the Pearl Necklace at our bar this week. Lovely stuff indeed.

This was featured in USA Today last month.

For decades I’ve liked Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout, and in the same vein Rogue Shakespeare Stout.
On a different playing field, I’ll take Samuel Smith’s anytime.
A local favorite is Elysian Dragonstooth, while I prefer Pike Brewing.
One that unexpectedly (given my 45 yr. ago associations) knocks me out is North Coast Brewing Old Rasputin.

P Hickner

Their Gonzo Imperial Porter is exceptional, too, though it brushes very close to the Stout world for me to really look at it as a true Porter. Makes it easier to bring up in this thread. Also have an occasional bourbon aged version that is pretty darn epic when you can find it.

When I can find it, the Speedway Stout (coffee stout) is quite delicious. The Stone IRS was terrific, wish I could have bought a case. Am currently on the hunt for Victory at Sea by Ballast Point. And if you ever see KBS (Kentucky Bourbon Stout) or Bourbon County Bourbon Stout (BCBS) by Goose Island – GRAB THEM!!

Lots of things to consider here, first one being what type of Stout? My favorite Stout sub-type is Oatmeal Stout. My favorites, in descending order, are:

1. Samuel Smith - Oatmeal Stout
  2. Firestone - “Velvet Merlin” Oatmeal Stout
  3. Anderson Valley - “Barney Flats” Oatmeal Stout

Also a huge fan of Russian Imperial Stouts (“RIS”); some of my favorites of that sub-type:
Stone - IRS
Victory - “Storm King” RIS
North Coast Brewing Co. - “Old Rasputin” RIS
Great Divide - “Yeti” RIS
Samuel Smith - Imperial Stout
Founders - Breakfast Stout
Ballast Point - “Sea Monster” Imperial Stout

You also get your speciality Stouts, too — like the barrel-aged brews and the ones with additions. I really enjoy
Alesmith - “Speedway” Stout (brewed with coffee beans)
Goose Island - “Bourbon County” Stout
Southern Tier - (???) … can’t remember the name – sorry; I seem to recall it being an oak-aged something-or-other; it was fantastic
Bell’s - “Java” Stout
Bell’s - Cherry Stout

Finally, you get your regular-ol’-Stout, which can vary widely in style, depending on which part of the world its from; an Irish stout is not an American stout is not an English stout. Some “regulars” that I enjoy:
Beamish
Bell’s - “Kalamazoo” Stout
Guinness Export (arguably an Imperial Stout)
Dragon - Stout (arguably an Imperial Stout)
Sierra Neveda - Stout

… I’m sure there’s tons I’m forgetting. Honestly, although I love Stout, it’s not a style I drink regularly — I’m usually looking for something more refreshing/clean when I reach for beer over wine or whisky; I view Stouts as “sipper” beers, for the most part.

Been doing a lot of brewing lately. It’s part of the reason I haven’t been posting as much!

I just bottled a batch of Dry stout that I aged on different things.
1g-Bourbon Barrel
1g-Cinnamon/vanilla stout
1g-Coffee Stout
1g-Mint Chocolate Stout - This one was a request from the girl
1/2g-Blueberry Stout
1/2g-Regular Dry Stout

I’m really excited to see how they turn out.

Very cool. Post notes when they are finished. I went to the Festival of Barrel Aged Beer this weekend and tried lots of interesting combinations. You would have fit right in.

I feel like I’m coming to a dinner party underdressed, but I’m a fan of Left Hand Milk Stout. It has a nice sweetness to balance out the bitter coffee notes.

Yea, I will post notes. It is going to be hard to wait to try them.

Corey, not underdressed at all. I am a HUGE fan of that Milk stout. Having it on Nitro is amazing. I missed the nitro bottles they put out though. You should look for it in nitro if you can find it.

My local watering hole just got Bell’s Java Stout on tap. I had a glass Saturday…oh so nice!

I hope and pray I can land some Goose Island bourbon County this year…totally shut out last year.

I love a Guinness or a Murphy’s, but these days when I think stout I tend to think more in the Imperial range:

Bell’s Java and Expedition are pretty good

Founder’s Porter may be the best deal in Stout around (so to speak)

Founder’s Breakfast Stout is even better

Yeti by great divide is awesome. They do Yeti in several varieties but I like the “normal” just fine

Nogne makes an awesome stout as well

Boulevard here in KC makes a pretty good one called Dark Truth in their Smokestack series

Schlafly in STL makes a good oatmeal if that is your thing (not really mine)

Just found out a local store carries the Evil Twin line and I really want to try the following from them:
Yin
Aun Mas a Jesus
Biscotti Break

Chicago Berserkers … just got a call from my bottle shop and they got the Cherry and Coffee BCBS today. I am sure other places are getting it as well. But this place is Uncork’d on Illinois. It is right by the corner of McClurg and Illinois … almost across from the AMC movie theater.

I know that place Jimmy – I never thought of walking in there. Is it primarily a place to buy beer or do they have a nice wine selection as well?

Corey, I use it primarily for beer. Some decent wine but not worth seeking out. It’s nice cause they get all the Goose and Three Floyd’s seasonals and the Firestone Walker limited stuff but no one checks there so it is usually pretty easy to find things that fly off the shelves at Binnys.

Nice tip. Thanks Jimmy.

Thanks! Picking up some holiday stuff at Fox & Obel tomorrow morning. I’ll stop by.