Dislike Belgian style beers! Am I alone?

I’ve had all of the usual names, and for a last hurrah tried a Victory Monkey as part of a variety pack, since I love ALL their other beers.

Blech. If I want banana, I’ll eat a banana. If I want cloves, I’ll smoke a cigarette (i dont smoke) or use one on a toothache.

Fwiw, I also dislike a lot of ‘summer’ ales b/c of the spice factor.

nonsense. plenty do not fit that bill. maredsous on draught is not and is one of the finest beers in the world IMO.

I’ve never heard if it. Is it difficult to find? What’s it taste like?

Yes you are alone in your dislike of Belgian beers neener

If I could I’d drink Belgian all day long. During the summer you can find me drinking tons of triples, blondes, Saison and whit beers.

These are some of the usual suspects but not limited to the below. I just think Belgian beers offer so much more complexity and flavor while still remaining very fresh and balanced. The over hopped IPA styles of domestic beers are fun but can get very tiresome after one or two.

Leffe
Hoegaarden
Saison DuPont
St bernardus
Affligem
Foret

Are you drinking belgian or belgian styled beers?

Easily my favorite beers. It does seem from your other posts that your much more of a hophead which is the polar opposite.

I’ve had the first four but not the last two Rico. I hear you on the overhopped, high abv beers.

Joe - more so belgian styled beers made in the US. But I don’t love any true Belgian that I’ve tasted, which is mostly the usual suspects you’d find in an average beer shop.

Probably not your thing then. Banana and clove are much more German to me (I don’t like either of those in my beer)

Maybe you should try some Belgian IPA’s, there will be a slight bubble gum note though from the belgian yeasts which seems to be what you don’t like.

Yes. In a very lonely place you are.

I think it’s common. I live on a block full of beer geeks and not a single Belgian fan in the bunch (myself excluded - I like 'em, but I don’t get much opportunity to drink them). There’s definitely a “domestic” craft beer palate.

[quote=“Joe Hauck”]Probably not your thing then. Banana and clove are much more German to me (I don’t like either of those in my beer)

Maybe you should try some Belgian IPA’s, there will be a slight bubble gum note though from the belgian yeasts which seems to be what you don’t like.[/quote
]

Yes those tastes sounds german not belgian

Sent from mobile

um, chicago isn’t exactly a wasteland for belgian beer. I’ve been able to find more than enough belgian beer here

Any BevMo will have it in 750ml. I think Yard House has it on tap. I get it locally at a belgian restaurant that rotates pony kegs quickly.

It is a dark looking beer that drinks much lighter than you expect, almost champagne like, and is more like wine than any beer I have ever had. Not a port, not an amber, it is very difficult to classify except for delicious.

If you didn’t like Dupont’s Saison, then I’d go as far as to say that you don’t like Belgian Saison.

Have you tried any Belgian sour beers? (gueuze; lambic) Those are incredibly interesting, and totally different than what you’ve described as not liking.

Supply isn’t the issue. It’s just not what people are drinking around me.

I REALLY dislike most “Double Imperial Triple Hopped IPA Squared” type bottlings. VERY few real Belgians I don’t like.

go to hopleaf,bad apple, map room, or bangers&lace and start rotating in some quality belgian brews that you can buy from any outlet. Where there is a will there is always a way

I also dislike those that have the banana or bubble gum note. But as mentioned above, I’m a hophead so probably in a somewhat different camp. But I enjoy camping there!

Even within Belgium there are many many different styles of beer. I just find it odd to condemn a whole country’s beers.

+1. It’s like saying you don’t like French wine. FWIW, I love Belgian beer. Orval may be my all-time go-to beer.