Best Scotch available now for <$1000

My dad likes the stuff and a milestone birthday is coming up. There is always Macallan 30 year old, but I am curious if anything in its price range blows it away.

Thanks.

Highland Park 30
Brora 30
Port Ellen 25

Thanks Steve. Have you had any of those? Do you have a preference?

FWIW, Port Ellen is shuttered-up, so the worldwide stock of their whisky is only growing smaller (and getting more expensive) with each passing day.

Port Ellen and Brora (both distilleries have been demolished) now do annual releases of their dwindling stock. Both have a peaty profile. The 2011 Port Ellen release is their best in several years, in my opinion. I tasted all 11 of the annual Port Ellen releases last weekend at the Gathering of the Clan, Ardbeggeddon XIII. The 2011/11th release is rare and expensive. And delicious.

Port ellen and Brora are both peaty. but given their age, the peatiness is subdued (not like ardbeg 10 or lagavulin 16) and gracious. HP 30’s smokiness is different from PE and Brora (to me cleaner smokiness than PE) and is way in the background.

can’t go wrong with any of them. if your father likes 'em peaty than consider PE or Brora. If less, HP 30.

Hope that helps.