Best Scotch available now for <$1000

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
C. R a s k i n

#1 Post by C. R a s k i n » January 30th, 2012, 10:32 pm

My dad likes the stuff and a milestone birthday is coming up. There is always Macallan 30 year old, but I am curious if anything in its price range blows it away.

Thanks.
Curtis R@skin

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
- Douglas Adams

Steve Ham

#2 Post by Steve Ham » February 1st, 2012, 7:32 pm

Highland Park 30
Brora 30
Port Ellen 25

C. R a s k i n

Re: Best Scotch available now for <$1000

#3 Post by C. R a s k i n » February 1st, 2012, 10:17 pm

Steve Ham wrote:Highland Park 30
Brora 30
Port Ellen 25
Thanks Steve. Have you had any of those? Do you have a preference?
Curtis R@skin

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
- Douglas Adams

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 2nd, 2012, 3:52 am

FWIW, Port Ellen is shuttered-up, so the worldwide stock of their whisky is only growing smaller (and getting more expensive) with each passing day.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by M.Kaplan » February 2nd, 2012, 12:08 pm

Port Ellen and Brora (both distilleries have been demolished) now do annual releases of their dwindling stock. Both have a peaty profile. The 2011 Port Ellen release is their best in several years, in my opinion. I tasted all 11 of the annual Port Ellen releases last weekend at the Gathering of the Clan, Ardbeggeddon XIII. The 2011/11th release is rare and expensive. And delicious.
---Mark

Steve Ham

#6 Post by Steve Ham » February 10th, 2012, 5:45 pm

Port ellen and Brora are both peaty. but given their age, the peatiness is subdued (not like ardbeg 10 or lagavulin 16) and gracious. HP 30's smokiness is different from PE and Brora (to me cleaner smokiness than PE) and is way in the background.

can't go wrong with any of them. if your father likes 'em peaty than consider PE or Brora. If less, HP 30.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”