RRBC Supplication ale... Really?

So I have been finding a few bottles of Russian River Brewing beers here and there. Haven’t found the pliny’s yet, which I understand is pretty much par for the course, but bought a bottle of supplication and consecration.

Opened a Supplication today- WTF? People drink this? Over the top dominating sour notes from the cherry treatment. Ugh. This is undrinkable to me. I have pretty good tolerance for sour, bitter, etc, but this is mouth puckeringly awful. Completely out of balance.

Poor Scott. He just doesn’t understand sour ales. Truly, Supplication is my favorite domestic sour. I think it’s delicious, complex, and pretty well balanced. But what do I know - my palate is crap. If you want to try a real Flemish, try Duchesse de Bourgogne, Vichtenaar, or Monk’s Cafe, all readily available in Seattle. And if you want a Pliny, remind me before the next dinner.

So that answers the question of whether it is supposed to taste this awful. :slight_smile:

I guess now I understand the concept… just don’t like it so much. It’s like eating a pink huckleberry pie.

They do mellow with age, and get even better. I just have trouble keeping my hands off them.

One of my favorite styles of beer: SO good with spicy foods!

this beer is awesome. and i’m not about to argue that it’s not the best american-made sour. … definitely not for everybody, though.

Adam, I’ve recently relocated to Seattle from Boston - what are some good shops where I can find a decent selection of sours and gueuze beers? I’m particularly partial to Cantillon.

My favorite beer!!!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Greg,

There a several good beer stores around. Probably the one people say is the best is Bottleworks in Wallingford. It’s certainly good, and they have taps so you can drink while you shop. And they’re snobby, so a wine guy should fit right in. The same people own Brouwer’s, the Belgian ale house in Fremont. You must you there.

I’m partial to Full Throttle Bottles in Georegetown, too. There’s a new place in West Seattle called Beer Junction that seems nice, but I’ve only been in there a couple of times. Whole Foods has a very good selection at surprisingly good prices.

Other bars to check out include Beveridge Place (named for the street), Cooper’s Ale house, Latona Pub - I could go on and on.

Also, you should check out WABL (http://www.washingtonbeer.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for all the news, festivals, etc. And if you want to get together for a pint or a glass of wine, drop me a line.

I personally love Supplication. But then again, I’m not a member of the anti-flavor beer elite. [berserker.gif]

Yeah… I have to side with the majority here and say that the Supplication is probably one of my favorte domestic sour ales. The Consecration being a VERY close second. I really find the balance of the sour with the sweetness of the cherries very enjoyable and quite refreshing. The Consecration is a little more serious of an ale, but no less enjoyable. Hopefully you will like that one more

I did subsequently try and like the consecration more. I could actually finish it! Seemed a bit more in balance in general- and a little less OTT sour. However, I think I may need to acquire a taste for sour ales, and that might be more effort than it is worth for me.

Try it with some Tangerine Spiced Beef or a Thai Beef Salad…Bliss!

The RRBC Supplication ROCKS - best domestic example I’ve tried, and a good ‘beginners’ intro to the style, as it’s not SUPER sour or Bretty by any means (as opposed to Hanssens, et al). Cantillon is still my gold standard for Kriek, though.

Adam - Just stopped by Bottleworks earlier this evening and grabbed a few different Geuzes and Krieks - thanks for the heads up!