Rye

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Message
Author
Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5084
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Rye

#301 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » November 3rd, 2018, 8:19 am

Kl has their knob single barrel rye for $35 atm, no brained.

User avatar
G. Bienstock
Posts: 2744
Joined: December 29th, 2009, 6:32 pm
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Rye

#302 Post by G. Bienstock » February 2nd, 2019, 8:19 am

I picked up JD rye for $15 on closeout. It is spicy with an unusual banana component. Need to make some Manhattans.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

User avatar
Vuk K
Posts: 38
Joined: January 29th, 2019, 7:53 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: Rye

#303 Post by Vuk K » February 2nd, 2019, 5:54 pm

No need to look any further than Lot 40 Cask Strength.

The only rye I like more is 2013 Sazerac 18 but, well, that's not gonna happen.
kr@j@¢!¢

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 3171
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Rye

#304 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 3rd, 2019, 8:18 am

This was so good, even the dregs of the bottle we polished off this morning after finding it in a box.

Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5009
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Rye

#305 Post by Andrew Kotowski » March 3rd, 2019, 2:33 pm

Price point on it is fantastic, as well.
Instagram at @akgrill

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 3171
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Rye

#306 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 3rd, 2019, 6:18 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 2:33 pm
Price point on it is fantastic, as well.
A lot of people might not agree with "fantastic," to pay $200 or so for a 6 year rye, though it is great.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5084
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Rye

#307 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 3rd, 2019, 6:20 pm

Yeah it’s pretty pricey.

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3458
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Rye

#308 Post by ERPark » March 3rd, 2019, 7:33 pm

Not that I’m saying Andrew’s opinion is incorrect, but bear in mind that the state of Washington has punitive alcohol AND liquor taxes that make bottles of liquor much more expensive there than other states. From Wikipedia.....
all spirits are to be taxed at 20.5% on the shelf price in addition to a flat spirits liter tax of $3.7708/liter. Many retailers no longer include these taxes in the shelf price, which has led to some sticker shock and confusion at the register. For instance, a 1.75l bottle of whiskey with a shelf price of $15.99 will have $3.28 in sales tax and $6.60 in liter taxes added at the register, bringing the total cost to $25.87.
So a Washingtonian’s perspective on “fantastic” pricing will differ from the rest of us.

Moral of this story.......pack in as much booze as possible if you’re heading to the state of Washington!
GEN3

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5009
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Rye

#309 Post by Andrew Kotowski » March 4th, 2019, 5:12 am

Missed that it was 6 year - I was bringing the 3 year up from CA, where I was getting it for $30 in Lafayette. Apologies.

And yes, Washington is horrific for pricing. I'm in Paris now and thinking of bringing bourbon home from here because it's cheaper :(
Instagram at @akgrill

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3458
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Rye

#310 Post by ERPark » March 4th, 2019, 7:01 am

What’s there to think about? [wow.gif]

Even with the bottles over there being 50ml less than their US versions, it’d still be worthwhile. Especially when you can get bottles like Blanton’s Straight From the Barrel that aren’t released in the US......
GEN3

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6745
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Rye

#311 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 4th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 6:18 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 2:33 pm
Price point on it is fantastic, as well.
A lot of people might not agree with "fantastic," to pay $200 or so for a 6 year rye, though it is great.
Does it really sell for $200? That “low”?

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 3171
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Rye

#312 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 4th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 5:05 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 6:18 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 2:33 pm
Price point on it is fantastic, as well.
A lot of people might not agree with "fantastic," to pay $200 or so for a 6 year rye, though it is great.
Does it really sell for $200? That “low”?
Retail pricing is all over the place - I saw $150 to $1500, or something crazy like that - but at whisky auctions it is about $200.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Re: Rye

#313 Post by Alan Eden » March 5th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Is the Willet 3 year rye any good ?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Re: Rye

#314 Post by Alan Eden » March 5th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Also picked up the Willet 6 year boubon, hoping its close to the 9 year which was awesome
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1542
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: Rye

#315 Post by Mike Maguire » March 5th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 6:13 pm
Also picked up the Willet 6 year boubon, hoping its close to the 9 year which was awesome
The 3 year is well worth the $45 tariff.I was able to get the 6 year for $60 when in Chi-town last Christmas.

RDHudak
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 630
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 7:23 pm

Re: Rye

#316 Post by RDHudak » March 6th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 6:11 pm
Is the Willet 3 year rye any good ?
I thought it had a very floral nose and a lighter palate. It is very good for the money.

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 3171
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Rye

#317 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 15th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Just picked up a few bottles of the Willet 4 year. It's not the 6, but it's very good, an easy sipper.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5009
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Rye

#318 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 25th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Anyone tried Whip Saw Rye? Looks like a winemaker collab gone Rye. Picked up a bottle at $40, but after checking online pricing (~$50-$55), I’m thinking it might be a fire sale, given WA state’s usual price gouging.
Instagram at @akgrill

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1583
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:48 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Rye

#319 Post by Adam Noble » June 26th, 2019, 7:17 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 2:35 pm
Anyone tried Whip Saw Rye? Looks like a winemaker collab gone Rye. Picked up a bottle at $40, but after checking online pricing (~$50-$55), I’m thinking it might be a fire sale, given WA state’s usual price gouging.
Where did you buy it? I'd pick up a bottle to try.

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5009
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Rye

#320 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 26th, 2019, 8:12 am

Adam Noble wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 7:17 am
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 2:35 pm
Anyone tried Whip Saw Rye? Looks like a winemaker collab gone Rye. Picked up a bottle at $40, but after checking online pricing (~$50-$55), I’m thinking it might be a fire sale, given WA state’s usual price gouging.
Where did you buy it? I'd pick up a bottle to try.
QFC in Sammamish. Looks like a one-off, as they have a sticker price tag on it. There were four or five on the shelf. Assuming other QFCs will carry, so a couple of calls might save some time.
Instagram at @akgrill

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1583
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:48 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Rye

#321 Post by Adam Noble » June 26th, 2019, 8:19 am

Appreciate the info. I'll check the one near me.

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1583
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:48 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Rye

#322 Post by Adam Noble » June 26th, 2019, 8:44 am

Alas no luck at the 2 West Seattle locations.

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5009
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Rye

#323 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 26th, 2019, 8:54 am

Adam Noble wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 8:44 am
Alas no luck at the 2 West Seattle locations.
Will you be on the Eastside any time soon? I can probably pick one up and hold for a bit. If you’re headed to Bellevue, I work in Lincoln Square. Chances of me hitting W Seattle are slim to none :)
Instagram at @akgrill

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1583
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:48 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Rye

#324 Post by Adam Noble » June 26th, 2019, 10:30 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 8:54 am
Adam Noble wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 8:44 am
Alas no luck at the 2 West Seattle locations.
Will you be on the Eastside any time soon? I can probably pick one up and hold for a bit. If you’re headed to Bellevue, I work in Lincoln Square. Chances of me hitting W Seattle are slim to none :)
I appreciate the offer, but it's not that urgent. Hope to share some beer with you and Scott sometime soon, though.

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5332
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Rye

#325 Post by Kris Patten » June 29th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Adam Noble wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 10:30 am
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 8:54 am
Adam Noble wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 8:44 am
Alas no luck at the 2 West Seattle locations.
Will you be on the Eastside any time soon? I can probably pick one up and hold for a bit. If you’re headed to Bellevue, I work in Lincoln Square. Chances of me hitting W Seattle are slim to none :)
I appreciate the offer, but it's not that urgent. Hope to share some beer with you and Scott sometime soon, though.
I may know a guy... [bow.gif]
ITB

Will Clements
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 116
Joined: December 8th, 2012, 8:27 am

Re: Rye

#326 Post by Will Clements » June 30th, 2019, 3:21 pm

I grabbed the Basil Hayden Dark Rye thinking I was getting a straight rye.
Imagine to my surprise that it’s a rather odd combo of port and two ryes.
I don’t mind it.
Can’t remember exactly how much I spent on it.
I don’t think I’ll have a bunch of guests asking for some

User avatar
BLittle
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 648
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:48 am
Location: Beautiful Fresno CA

Re: Rye

#327 Post by BLittle » October 31st, 2019, 2:40 pm

Total Wine has the new High West "A Midwinter Night's Dram" for $89.99
always enjoyed this release
Brett Cyril Little (AKA BC)

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5332
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Rye

#328 Post by Kris Patten » October 31st, 2019, 3:39 pm

BLittle wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 2:40 pm
Total Wine has the new High West "A Midwinter Night's Dram" for $89.99
always enjoyed this release
Funny how Constellation is public enemy #1 in Wine Talk, but spirits get a pass from Constellation.
ITB

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1583
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:48 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Rye

#329 Post by Adam Noble » October 31st, 2019, 5:00 pm

And it's sure not $90 in this state. No where close.

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5332
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Rye

#330 Post by Kris Patten » November 1st, 2019, 7:50 am

It is before taxes Adam.....
ITB

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1583
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:48 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Rye

#331 Post by Adam Noble » November 1st, 2019, 8:06 am

Perhaps at standard markup from wholesale, but that is not the shelf price. $189 pre tax at a location on Capitol Hill, $232 post tax.

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5009
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Rye

#332 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 1st, 2019, 10:37 am

Adam Noble wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 8:06 am
Perhaps at standard markup from wholesale, but that is not the shelf price. $189 pre tax at a location on Capitol Hill, $232 post tax.
Pretty sure I paid $120 for it last year (pre-tax). Will check out my usual stops this weekend and see if I can find any...
Instagram at @akgrill

Mike Cohen
Posts: 3065
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Re: Rye

#333 Post by Mike Cohen » November 1st, 2019, 11:41 am

I see High West "A Midwinter's Night Dram" for as low as $85 to as high as $145. Frankly it depends on the store.

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5009
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Rye

#334 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 25th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 10:37 am
Adam Noble wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 8:06 am
Perhaps at standard markup from wholesale, but that is not the shelf price. $189 pre tax at a location on Capitol Hill, $232 post tax.
Pretty sure I paid $120 for it last year (pre-tax). Will check out my usual stops this weekend and see if I can find any...
Picked up today at a QFC on Mercer (thanks Adam!) at $112 pre-tax. Sounded like allocations were low this year, as my local QFC blew through theirs and Met Mkt never got any.
Instagram at @akgrill

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7625
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Re: Rye

#335 Post by Scott Butler » November 26th, 2019, 10:17 am

I've paid $90 for Midwinter, and I've paid $105, tends to stay in that range for me, $120 is a bit much.

I went to Park City for the release party a year ago, they were selling it for $99 at the distillery. Man I drank my share of it that night, thank goodness for the shuttle bus!
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39890
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Rye

#336 Post by Todd F r e n c h » December 3rd, 2019, 12:06 pm

Just tried High West Rendezvous last night - awesome stuff. Worth the $60-70 for sure. Had side-by-side with the Double Rye, also good, but when side-by-side, the quality of Rendezvous really stands out
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

R yan C omaz zetto
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 457
Joined: November 9th, 2009, 3:42 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Rye

#337 Post by R yan C omaz zetto » December 3rd, 2019, 3:03 pm

Just picked up a couple bottles of my favorite - Wiser's 18 Year - for about $44 each at the duty free while coming back from Vancouver on Sunday. Compared to about $105 at Total Wine here it's an absolute steal.

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20862
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: Rye

#338 Post by Alan Rath » December 3rd, 2019, 10:00 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 12:06 pm
Just tried High West Rendezvous last night - awesome stuff. Worth the $60-70 for sure. Had side-by-side with the Double Rye, also good, but when side-by-side, the quality of Rendezvous really stands out
K&L has it for $50
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7625
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Re: Rye

#339 Post by Scott Butler » December 4th, 2019, 6:53 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 12:06 pm
Just tried High West Rendezvous last night - awesome stuff. Worth the $60-70 for sure. Had side-by-side with the Double Rye, also good, but when side-by-side, the quality of Rendezvous really stands out
Yes, the Rendezvous Rye is exceptional. It is historically around $55 here, but lately has crept up to about $63. I agree that it is better than the Double Rye, though considering the Double Rye is only $37 - I tend to buy more Double Rye, and splurge at times for the Rendezvous Rye.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5332
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Rye

#340 Post by Kris Patten » February 5th, 2020, 6:25 am

Cross posted in Bourbon thread, but Elijah Craig will be releasing a Rye priced at Small Batch, should be a great partner for Rye starters as it looks to be Pikesville/Rittenhouse mash bill, 41% rye.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a barrel proof or BIB down the road.
ITB

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39890
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Rye

#341 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 9th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Will Clements wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 3:21 pm
I grabbed the Basil Hayden Dark Rye thinking I was getting a straight rye.
Imagine to my surprise that it’s a rather odd combo of port and two ryes.
I don’t mind it.
Can’t remember exactly how much I spent on it.
I don’t think I’ll have a bunch of guests asking for some
Been eyeing this bottle for a while, finally bought one, and I really like it. I sip my whiskeys (rye/bourbon) and this one is infinitely enjoyable neat. If I'm in the mood for a barrel proof whiskey, obviously this isn't gonna do it, but sometimes I don't feel like the palate assault that is barrel proof whiskey I do so love.

Great stuff - will definitely keep it in the house
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Will Clements
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 116
Joined: December 8th, 2012, 8:27 am

Re: Rye

#342 Post by Will Clements » March 10th, 2020, 8:37 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 5:07 pm
Will Clements wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 3:21 pm
I grabbed the Basil Hayden Dark Rye thinking I was getting a straight rye.
Imagine to my surprise that it’s a rather odd combo of port and two ryes.
I don’t mind it.
Can’t remember exactly how much I spent on it.
I don’t think I’ll have a bunch of guests asking for some
Been eyeing this bottle for a while, finally bought one, and I really like it. I sip my whiskeys (rye/bourbon) and this one is infinitely enjoyable neat. If I'm in the mood for a barrel proof whiskey, obviously this isn't gonna do it, but sometimes I don't feel like the palate assault that is barrel proof whiskey I do so love.

Great stuff - will definitely keep it in the house
It’s grown on me. I’m on my third bottle now.
I do sip it neat as well.

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39890
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Rye

#343 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 10th, 2020, 4:47 pm

Will Clements wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 8:37 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 5:07 pm
Will Clements wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 3:21 pm
I grabbed the Basil Hayden Dark Rye thinking I was getting a straight rye.
Imagine to my surprise that it’s a rather odd combo of port and two ryes.
I don’t mind it.
Can’t remember exactly how much I spent on it.
I don’t think I’ll have a bunch of guests asking for some
Been eyeing this bottle for a while, finally bought one, and I really like it. I sip my whiskeys (rye/bourbon) and this one is infinitely enjoyable neat. If I'm in the mood for a barrel proof whiskey, obviously this isn't gonna do it, but sometimes I don't feel like the palate assault that is barrel proof whiskey I do so love.

Great stuff - will definitely keep it in the house
It’s grown on me. I’m on my third bottle now.
I do sip it neat as well.
Yeah, it's soft and sweet, and scary easy to sip neat (unintentional rhyme). I imagine if served chilled it would be much like a classic cocktail, such as a Manhattan or Old Fashioned.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1542
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: Rye

#344 Post by Mike Maguire » March 10th, 2020, 4:54 pm

And Costco seems to have an endless supply up here.

Jesse Koehn
Posts: 20
Joined: March 12th, 2020, 4:55 pm

Re: Rye

#345 Post by Jesse Koehn » March 14th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Enjoy Pikesville Rye

Jesse Koehn
Posts: 20
Joined: March 12th, 2020, 4:55 pm

Re: Rye

#346 Post by Jesse Koehn » March 14th, 2020, 3:49 pm

And Willet’s iterations

Post Reply

Return to “Beer and Spirits”