Rye

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Message
Author
User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 13988
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Rye

#201 Post by Jorge Henriquez » December 4th, 2015, 5:06 am

Tried the CR Northern Harvest Rye last night. Delicious stuff for under $30! Whiskey of the year? Obviously I'm not qualified to make such a statement, but for the taste, price & presentation you surely could do worse.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - Golden Vines
http://golden-vines.com/

User avatar
JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3348
Joined: February 15th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Orange County

Rye

#202 Post by JKim » December 4th, 2015, 7:21 am

ericskitei wrote:MidWinter Nights Dram question.....

Is there one bottling thats better than the rest? Just picked up an Act 3, Scene 1. Just wondering how it compares with the others.
Act 1 seems to be the one everyone's after, not sure if it's better as I've never had act 1, maybe cuz it's the first, maybe cuz it's better, who knows. I have Act 2 open and some sealed Act 3. MWND is a sweet rye so I have to be in the mood for it. It's a good crowd pleasing rye for non whisky folks.
Joe

User avatar
JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3348
Joined: February 15th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Orange County

Rye

#203 Post by JKim » December 4th, 2015, 7:23 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:Tried the CR Northern Harvest Rye last night. Delicious stuff for under $30! Whiskey of the year? Obviously I'm not qualified to make such a statement, but for the taste, price & presentation you surely could do worse.
Nice! Every time I stop by my local TW, I see this on the shelf. I might just pick up a bottle just cuz I'm curious, but I have bad memories of Crown Royal from my college clubbing days.
Joe

User avatar
jdietz
Posts: 2738
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: DTSA

Rye

#204 Post by jdietz » December 4th, 2015, 9:33 am

JKim wrote:
Jorge Henriquez wrote:Tried the CR Northern Harvest Rye last night. Delicious stuff for under $30! Whiskey of the year? Obviously I'm not qualified to make such a statement, but for the taste, price & presentation you surely could do worse.
Nice! Every time I stop by my local TW, I see this on the shelf. I might just pick up a bottle just cuz I'm curious, but I have bad memories of Crown Royal from my college clubbing days.
I bought one after it was selected whiskey of the year. If I ever saw you, I'd spot you a dram or two.
Cheers, James

DTB

User avatar
JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3348
Joined: February 15th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Orange County

Rye

#205 Post by JKim » December 4th, 2015, 1:33 pm

jdietz wrote:
JKim wrote:
Jorge Henriquez wrote:Tried the CR Northern Harvest Rye last night. Delicious stuff for under $30! Whiskey of the year? Obviously I'm not qualified to make such a statement, but for the taste, price & presentation you surely could do worse.
Nice! Every time I stop by my local TW, I see this on the shelf. I might just pick up a bottle just cuz I'm curious, but I have bad memories of Crown Royal from my college clubbing days.
I bought one after it was selected whiskey of the year. If I ever saw you, I'd spot you a dram or two.
Word! Time for a dinner!
Joe

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1103
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Rye

#206 Post by Mike Maguire » December 4th, 2015, 2:14 pm

Kris Patten wrote:Sure I said it before, but don't miss Heaven Hills new Pikesville 6yr Rye.
Kris,
Where is this available locally?
Mike

F.Daner
Posts: 1835
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 4:48 am
Location: Tampa, Florida

Rye

#207 Post by F.Daner » December 5th, 2015, 5:29 am

The Michters #1 Limited Release Barrel Strength Rye is excellent and worthy of a splurge.

Seems to have good availability.

cheers
Fred

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3733
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Rye

#208 Post by Kris Patten » December 5th, 2015, 9:37 pm

Mike Maguire wrote:
Kris Patten wrote:Sure I said it before, but don't miss Heaven Hills new Pikesville 6yr Rye.
Kris,
Where is this available locally?
Mike
Should be available by special order from most retailers. Lots of restaurants too, where are you located, east or west?
ITB

james s kim
Posts: 13
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 3:00 pm
Location: San Francisco

Rye

#209 Post by james s kim » December 6th, 2015, 5:35 am

ericskitei wrote:MidWinter Nights Dram question.....

Is there one bottling thats better than the rest? Just picked up an Act 3, Scene 1. Just wondering how it compares with the others.
Consensus seems to be that there are only minimal differences between the variations but if push came to shove 3>1>2.
I've only had 2 and 3 personally and would have a tough time picking one over the other.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1103
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Rye

#210 Post by Mike Maguire » December 6th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
Mike Maguire wrote:
Kris Patten wrote:Sure I said it before, but don't miss Heaven Hills new Pikesville 6yr Rye.
Kris,
Where is this available locally?
Mike
Should be available by special order from most retailers. Lots of restaurants too, where are you located, east or west?
Port Orchard, I guess West. [scratch.gif]

User avatar
Jack Johnson
Posts: 298
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 7:04 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Rye

#211 Post by Jack Johnson » December 11th, 2015, 5:50 pm

Pikesville Rye - I brought a couple bottles back from KY and found that it's available at Total Wine for less than I paid. It's very good stuff.
And the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel rye (104 proof) is also great.
I really like the Midsummers Night beginning this time of year.
E. D. Jack Johnson, III

User avatar
Joe Hauck
Posts: 3982
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Rye

#212 Post by Joe Hauck » December 11th, 2015, 7:03 pm

Just finished off my bottle of High West Rendezvous Rye. I'll be heading out in the morning for a replacement.
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1103
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Rye

#213 Post by Mike Maguire » December 12th, 2015, 5:12 am

Jack Johnson wrote:Pikesville Rye - I brought a couple bottles back from KY and found that it's available at Total Wine for less than I paid. It's very good stuff.
And the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel rye (104 proof) is also great.
I really like the Midsummers Night beginning this time of year.
Thanks for the info on the Pikesville Jack. I'll check out Total Wine.

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#214 Post by Scott Butler » December 15th, 2015, 9:05 am

F.Daner wrote:The Michters #1 Limited Release Barrel Strength Rye is excellent and worthy of a splurge.

Seems to have good availability.

cheers
Yes, I am 1/2 through a bottle. Nice stuff!
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#215 Post by Scott Butler » December 15th, 2015, 9:07 am

Joe Hauck wrote:Just finished off my bottle of High West Rendezvous Rye. I'll be heading out in the morning for a replacement.
Wonderful stuff! Also don't pass on the High West Double Rye. $20 cheaper and almost as good. I like to stock both.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#216 Post by Scott Butler » December 15th, 2015, 9:08 am

I just found a bottle of the Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye. I'll probably open it up Wednesday to see how it is.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Joe Hauck
Posts: 3982
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Rye

#217 Post by Joe Hauck » December 15th, 2015, 6:48 pm

Scott Butler wrote:
Joe Hauck wrote:Just finished off my bottle of High West Rendezvous Rye. I'll be heading out in the morning for a replacement.
Wonderful stuff! Also don't pass on the High West Double Rye. $20 cheaper and almost as good. I like to stock both.
I restocked and did add a Double Rye as well as Campfire. [cheers.gif]
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#218 Post by Scott Butler » December 16th, 2015, 1:09 pm

Joe Hauck wrote:
Scott Butler wrote:
Joe Hauck wrote:Just finished off my bottle of High West Rendezvous Rye. I'll be heading out in the morning for a replacement.
Wonderful stuff! Also don't pass on the High West Double Rye. $20 cheaper and almost as good. I like to stock both.
I restocked and did add a Double Rye as well as Campfire. [cheers.gif]

Have to had Campfire before? It's a bit to peaty for me, but my scotch friends love it.

High West is a really good producer. [drinkers.gif]
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Joe Hauck
Posts: 3982
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Rye

#219 Post by Joe Hauck » December 16th, 2015, 4:13 pm

Hahaha, I didn't find it peaty at all, but I'm a Islay single malt lover.
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3348
Joined: February 15th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Orange County

Rye

#220 Post by JKim » December 16th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Lol, I'm not a fan of Campfire either, but I'm more a Highlands guy. Have not been enlightened by peat yet no matter how much I've tried.
Joe

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#221 Post by Scott Butler » December 16th, 2015, 5:50 pm

Oh wow, yes Islay explains it...lol! Drinking The Balvenie tonight, that's my peat sweet spot
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
jdietz
Posts: 2738
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: DTSA

Rye

#222 Post by jdietz » December 16th, 2015, 6:41 pm

JKim wrote:Lol, I'm not a fan of Campfire either, but I'm more a Highlands guy. Have not been enlightened by peat yet no matter how much I've tried.
+1
Cheers, James

DTB

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#223 Post by Scott Butler » December 16th, 2015, 6:52 pm

My one peat exception is Lagavulin 16...pretty awesome
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Gerry Morrisey
Posts: 390
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:39 pm
Location: Tyngsboro, MA

Rye

#224 Post by Gerry Morrisey » December 18th, 2015, 10:17 am

Scott Butler wrote:I just found a bottle of the Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye. I'll probably open it up Wednesday to see how it is.
Scott, how is it? I've heard conflicting opinions
.

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 13988
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Rye

#225 Post by Jorge Henriquez » December 18th, 2015, 12:20 pm

Gerry Morrisey wrote:
Scott Butler wrote:I just found a bottle of the Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye. I'll probably open it up Wednesday to see how it is.
Scott, how is it? I've heard conflicting opinions
.
My take on it Gerry: http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 5#p1891325
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - Golden Vines
http://golden-vines.com/

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#226 Post by Scott Butler » December 18th, 2015, 12:27 pm

Yep, I agree with Jorge. I like it quite a bit, especially for the price point - but certainly not the best thing I've tried this year. My wife did not like the finish on it, but I did.

I'll certainly buy more of it.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Joe Hauck
Posts: 3982
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Rye

#227 Post by Joe Hauck » December 18th, 2015, 12:41 pm

It seems both these guys liked it a bit more than I did. For the price I'm not complaining, but I thought it was fairly pedestrian and on the smoother end without much Rye spice.
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#228 Post by Scott Butler » December 18th, 2015, 6:10 pm

It was a nice gentle rye.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Gerry Morrisey
Posts: 390
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:39 pm
Location: Tyngsboro, MA

Rye

#229 Post by Gerry Morrisey » December 19th, 2015, 7:44 am

Thanks for the feedback. For the money I'll try a bottle. The truth is I'd be more interested if Jim Murray hadn't picked it as his whisky of the year.

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#230 Post by Scott Butler » December 20th, 2015, 5:59 am

Yeh, I don't know Jim Murray at all, but whisky of the year? He doesn't seem too credible.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Al Ehrhardt
Posts: 154
Joined: July 15th, 2010, 7:51 am
Location: Chicago

Rye

#231 Post by Al Ehrhardt » December 26th, 2015, 11:37 am

james s kim wrote:
ericskitei wrote:MidWinter Nights Dram question.....

Is there one bottling thats better than the rest? Just picked up an Act 3, Scene 1. Just wondering how it compares with the others.
Consensus seems to be that there are only minimal differences between the variations but if push came to shove 3>1>2.
I've only had 2 and 3 personally and would have a tough time picking one over the other.
Popped a Christmas gift last night… Act 3, Scene 3. There is a really strong green streak (dill, pine, green pepper) that for me, overpowers everything else. A disappointment, especially at the price.

User avatar
Jack Johnson
Posts: 298
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 7:04 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Rye

#232 Post by Jack Johnson » December 26th, 2015, 5:48 pm

Coincidentally tonight had 2 Manhattans using Midwinter Nights Dram (Act 2.1 Scene 1334) and Rittenhouse. Also poured both neat. Liked the MND better neat and the Rittenhouse better in the Manhattan. Not any major surprise. Hard to beat Rittenhouse. I'll do a Thomas Handy tomorrow night. And Wild Turkey 101 Rye.
Happy New Year.
E. D. Jack Johnson, III

User avatar
jdietz
Posts: 2738
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: DTSA

Rye

#233 Post by jdietz » December 26th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Jack Johnson wrote:Coincidentally tonight had 2 Manhattans using Midwinter Nights Dram (Act 2.1 Scene 1334) and Rittenhouse. Also poured both neat. Liked the MND better neat and the Rittenhouse better in the Manhattan. Not any major surprise. Hard to beat Rittenhouse. I'll do a Thomas Handy tomorrow night. And Wild Turkey 101 Rye.
Happy New Year.
Like the Rittenhouse, the Wild Turkey is best suited to a cocktail.
Cheers, James

DTB

F.Daner
Posts: 1835
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 4:48 am
Location: Tampa, Florida

Rye

#234 Post by F.Daner » December 27th, 2015, 10:07 am

The Michters #1 Release Barrel Strength is excellent. Might be my find of the year.

Cheers
Fred

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#235 Post by Scott Butler » January 1st, 2016, 3:22 pm

F.Daner wrote:The Michters #1 Release Barrel Strength is excellent. Might be my find of the year.

Cheers
Yes, love it!
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2805
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Rye

#236 Post by Alan Eden » January 1st, 2016, 5:27 pm

Agreed, it is a great bottle.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5040
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Rye

#237 Post by George Hejna » January 2nd, 2016, 8:55 am

Picked up a bottle of 12yr WhistlePig Old World series 2nd Marriage. Aged in a combo of Sauterne and port casks as well as new casks. Custom blended for Binny's in Chicago. Really well done, quite smooth as you would expect. A good price at $99 on sale. Going to go back for another.

George

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#238 Post by Scott Butler » January 2nd, 2016, 3:54 pm

George Hejna wrote:Picked up a bottle of 12yr WhistlePig Old World series 2nd Marriage. Aged in a combo of Sauterne and port casks as well as new casks. Custom blended for Binny's in Chicago. Really well done, quite smooth as you would expect. A good price at $99 on sale. Going to go back for another.

George
Hmmmmmm
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Jack Johnson
Posts: 298
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 7:04 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Rye

#239 Post by Jack Johnson » January 3rd, 2016, 5:56 pm

Russell's Reserve single barrel Manhattan tonight. Very good but most of them are. No age statement I can find.
E. D. Jack Johnson, III

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#240 Post by Scott Butler » January 4th, 2016, 7:00 am

Jack Johnson wrote:Pikesville Rye - I brought a couple bottles back from KY and found that it's available at Total Wine for less than I paid. It's very good stuff.
I received a bottle of this for Christmas, and opened it last night. I agree, very good stuff, especially with one ice cube - opens it up nicely.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

james s kim
Posts: 13
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 3:00 pm
Location: San Francisco

Rye

#241 Post by james s kim » January 6th, 2016, 7:37 am

Popped a Christmas gift last night… Act 3, Scene 3. There is a really strong green streak (dill, pine, green pepper) that for me, overpowers everything else. A disappointment, especially at the price.[/quote]

Interesting that I never even got a hint of anything dill/green. I usually get that flavor with straight MGP products, but not HW.

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#242 Post by Scott Butler » January 6th, 2016, 10:38 am

You know what is funny James, I wasn't sure what "Act 3 Scene 3" is so I googled it, from High West of course. But I ran into this tasting note, and I don't personally get green in Rendezvous Rye, have you tried RR?



Tasting background - I have to admit to some trepidation before purchasing this bottle. Why? Well… I am no fan of Rendezvous Rye, which is the base of this whiskey. RR was waaaaaaay too dill forward for me. When I had a bottle, it actually tasted like someone marinated a pickle in it before corking it and putting it on the store shelf for sale. Not what I am looking for in a whiskey. But when I kept hearing that the port finish in HWMND kept the LDI dill in check, I figured I would give it a go. This bottle has been open for about a month at the time of this tasting, with a 50%+ fill level. Let’s do this!
Color - It looks like aged rye whiskey that has been port finished! :)
Nose – The nose on this is very nice. I smelled red wine, raisin, agave nectar, rye, slight dill, and slight mint. All the aromas are well integrated and balanced.
Palate – They weren’t kidding when they said the trademark LDI dill is much more balanced in this whiskey. Nobody dropped a pickle in this bottle before putting it on the shelf for sale, that is for sure. The more subdued dill note combines well with sweet rye spice (I know that sounds oxymoronic, but it’s my description!), tangy raisin and black pepper. It’s a medium+ thick mouthfeel with some warmth from the 98.6 proof, but nothing harsh. Tasty stuff.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Jletchinger
Posts: 124
Joined: August 13th, 2015, 8:38 am
Location: NYC

Rye

#243 Post by Jletchinger » January 19th, 2016, 10:30 pm

Rye wins every time.
Sazerac for sipping Rittenhouse for cocktails.
JoeyLetchinger WineLardernyc.com

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4773
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Rye

#244 Post by Paul Miller » January 20th, 2016, 12:48 pm

Bought a bottle of Whistle Pig 10-Year Old Rye. Binny's has a few single barrel versions that they blended themselves. Got the 116-proof from barrel 15-42. DELICIOUS! I'll kill anyone I catch using it for a cocktail.

User avatar
gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3202
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 12:29 pm
Location: San Francisco

Rye

#245 Post by gene keenan » January 20th, 2016, 1:29 pm

CVS here in Nor Cal has had the Royal Crown Northern Harvest Rye for $22/bottle which is a pretty great deal in my opinion.
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour

User avatar
Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5320
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 9:21 am
Location: Kew Gardens, NY

Rye

#246 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » January 20th, 2016, 4:42 pm

$30 in NJ was a good deal, $22 is a steal! Wholesale price is more than $22 in NY.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

User avatar
gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3202
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 12:29 pm
Location: San Francisco

Rye

#247 Post by gene keenan » January 20th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:$30 in NJ was a good deal, $22 is a steal! Wholesale price is more than $22 in NY.
So your saying I should buy some more...
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour

User avatar
Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5320
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 9:21 am
Location: Kew Gardens, NY

Rye

#248 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » January 20th, 2016, 7:27 pm

If you like it Gene, back up the truck! It's 90pf so good for Manhattans, but goes down smooth like an 80pf whiskey. I just tried it again yesterday with the salesperson and we were discussing the price. At $22/bot I would sock away a case or two. Really.

However I won't argue it was the best whiskey or even the best rye of 2016, that's stretching it a bit.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

User avatar
gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3202
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 12:29 pm
Location: San Francisco

Rye

#249 Post by gene keenan » January 20th, 2016, 10:47 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:If you like it Gene, back up the truck! It's 90pf so good for Manhattans, but goes down smooth like an 80pf whiskey. I just tried it again yesterday with the salesperson and we were discussing the price. At $22/bot I would sock away a case or two. Really.

However I won't argue it was the best whiskey or even the best rye of 2016, that's stretching it a bit.
At $22 it is fantastic but yeah, not the best Rye of 2016. Guessing they paid for that designation. Haven't tried it in a Manhattan yet.
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7493
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Rye

#250 Post by Scott Butler » February 11th, 2016, 11:47 am

Just got an offer for Jack Daniels Single Barrel Rye. I hope to see this in stores.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Post Reply

Return to “Beer and Spirits”