Kentucky Derby -- Julep recipes?

I’m trying to remember all the traditional stuff. Metal cup, chill it good, sprig of mint.

Wild Turkey??

Do you bother making Mint Juleps? What’s your secret recipe?

I suppose I should start another topic for Cinco de Maio and Margaritas, it sure is confusing when the Derby falls on May 5…

I love mint juleps, as I like bourbon and I like mint a lot. Drink them in the summer quite a bit.

I make simple syrup from raw or turbinado sugar when I’m going to make juleps. I muddle some mint in a glass, put crushed ice and simple syrup in and top with bourbon. Pretty simple really. I like the flavor contribution of using raw/turbinado sugar and I like the mint flavor a lot so I make sure to muddle it (though purists might not).

Turbinado or Evaporated Cane Juice provide such a better depth of flavor when a recipe calls for simple syrup.

My drink for the Derby will be Cane Juice, Mint From the Back Yard and Basil Hayden.

At the Derby IIRC, they pour “Early Times” bourbon. I use whatever I have on hand.

I don’t think there is any secret in making the cocktail.

Simple syrup (no more than one tbl), a few sprigs of fresh mint and muddle together in the bottom of a chilled glass (silver cup if you really want to do it Derby style). Add a few ounces of bourbon, several large ice cubes and mint to garnish. On occasion, I’ve made a mint-infused simple syrup so I don’t have to fuss with muddling.

As others have pointed out, there’s not much secret to pulling this off.

However, I once read that the original mint julep was made with cognac. I’ve tried it (ie. everything the same as with a bourbon based julep, but use cognac instead) and it’s really very good. You might give that a whirl.

Where would I buy such things? Turbinado, Cane? I have some Palm Sugar from the Phillipines

I buy turbinado (basically unprocessed sugar w/ a high molasses content) or raw sugar (the ‘raw sugar’ that I get at my market is apparently more processed than the turbinado w/ a touch less molasses, a touch lighter in color and more finely ground) in the bulk bins at places like Henry’s, Wild Oats, Whole Foods or New Leaf. I’m sure it’s widely available either in bulk or in ‘healthy / organic’ aisles.

Louise needed some pomegranate syrup for the Mu’ammar she was making, a delicious dip made from roasted red peppers, so I went to the Health Food Store and there I found some “Fair Trade Washed Raw Cane Sugar” with a picture of the chef, Marcu Samuelsson on the back. It made into a very dark and rich simple syrup. As to the mint, I was influenced by this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/the-perfect-mint-julep-recipe/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That’s the kind of recipe you browse thru and say “what the HELL is she going on about” but as a Biochemist I kind of liked the idea of doing a deliberate infusion of mint leaves into Bourbon, instead of the kind of random process of muddling, so I did put some Bourbon into a cereal bowl and “bothered” a pile of mint leaves over the course of an hour or so. That got to taste awfully good as it progressed (I’d lick fingers after).

So I put my glasses in the freezer (including the one metal cup I have and some Waterford lowball glasses) and I actually assembled the drinks in a pitcher, a la Sara Moulton. At post time I pulled out the icy glasses, threw in some mint and a cube or 2, and poured and served. I provided straws but they were the tacky plastic ones with paper wrappers, and most people gave up and just drank.

I had forgotten I had half a bottle of Maker’s Mark hidden down in the wine cellar (so I wouldn’t finish it off) and that’s what I used.

Anyway thanks for the support. I wonder if the talk of Super Saver for the triple crown is just a batch of hot air? It was a nice race but I don’t think S.S. dominated it.

Our annual Kentucky Derby party hosts use 2 parts bourbon to 1 part Cognac. Simple syrup and long mint sprig. Makes for a nice drink.

Anyone ever have a mint julep at the Derby itself? I haven’t been there in over 10 years, but boy they suck. I used to go every year and after year 2 I just stopped trying them.

I’ve made the myself, and like them. Not sure what they are doing wrong. [head-bang.gif]

While I didn’t make mint juleps, I did make Henry Bain sauce, which is a Lousville tradition for steak and game (with the ‘secret ingredient’ being pickled walnuts).

Scott, I have read that at the Derby they serve the Early Times prepared mix.

And yes, it is said to suck.

Frank, the American Bartenders’ Guide has two versions of the Julep. From memory, they make a tea by soaking mint leaves in the Bourbon for fifteen minutes. Then they put the leaves in something similar to cheese cloth and squeeze this over the Bourbon and then make the drink. Didn’t go to that trouble.

Sacrilegiously, I use Tennessee’s own Jack D. Don’t “do” Bourbon! Good simple syrup and fresh mint are used. Will try the other sugar sources down the road.