QPR Rye Whiskey

So I’m a huge fan of Sazerac rye whiskey for two reasons…it has a fantastic flavor profile and the price is right @ around $24.00/ bottle… Eagle Rare 10 year is my QPR (Quality Price Ratio) pick for bourbon…

So I’m curious to hear about other great QPR Rye Whiskeys you guys enjoy…anything in the 30-40 dollar price range that is a screaming deal or should I just stick with Sazerac rye?

Sazerac’s a good one. We pay about he same around here.
I haven’t tried this one yet, but think it is worth seeking out, especially for cocktails or infusions: Pikesville Straight Rye, around $13 a bottle.
Looks like San Fransisco Wine Trading Co has it.
wine-searcher might point you to some other sources.

This article

http://gumbopages.com/food/beverages/sazerac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

suggests Old Overholt as a good basic choice, also Wild Turkey and Pappy van Winkle at the high end.

I’m going to post that link in the Sazerac topic as well, think it’s well written and interesting.

I am now drinking more rye, Crown Royal is what I have but would like to know if there are good lower cost opyions alsp what is yor mixer, coke or ginger ale?

Growing up in Canada, I have lots of experience with Rye! My go-to favorite is always Canadian Club (“CC” for short). My preferred mixer is ginger ale, Canada Dry of course, although Schwepps will do (no generics, please). Coke or Seven Up will also work if that’s your taste.

Seagram’s VO is a second favorite. Crown Royal was a treat, but more of a stretch on a student’s budget in Canada. When I moved out to Alberta, I became a fan of the local distiller Alberta Springs.

I like the Rittenhouse 100 proof, but it’s impossible to get. I also like Ri1, but only for mixing. Crown Royal Black, which was just released, is also very good.

Another double posting of a URL. I had a discussion with a friend about whether Crown Royal was technically a “rye.” That led me to the wiki below – long story short, yes it is.

Rye whiskey - Wikipedia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stopped at the K&L in Hollywood and bought a bottle of the Rittenhouse; drank it last night with a tiny ice cube. Great stuff!

I definitely feel the heat of the 100 proof on the finish, but somehow it’s balanced and the rye spice comes through more than anything.

I think it will really shine in a cocktail; will try that tonight.

The Sazerac was closer to $30; was also considering WT 101 for the same price as Rittenhouse.

Not really good, but Wild Turkey is considered a rye. newhere

Yup, WT 101 is bourbon (not rye), but I was tempted to buy some anyway. Just cuz.

Sorry- not the 101, but WT does make a rye. Should have specified. Not sure how widely available it is.

Wait, now I’m confused; can’t remember if I was looking at the WT bourbon or rye. (Sigh) Friday fatigue. Checked the site, it was indeed the rye.

So you do or don’t like the WT rye?

I’m a single malt Scotch girl. flirtysmile

Oh, in other words, snooty patootie! [tease.gif]

Kidding, good stuff too, but I’m into the USofA hooch these days…

But I’m not a member of the Anti-Flavor Scotch Elite!

K&L has more Rittenhouse 100 proof RYE right now. $19.99.

Also, I believe they also make the Pikesville version as well, which I see at most BevMo’s.

Total Wine in Roseville, CA…has prob 20…err make that 19 bottles of Rittenhouse right now. I assume their Tustin store does as well.

I also see it occasionally at the Nugget markets in the Sacramento area.

need some drinking smilies here

Welcome to the board, Jon!! [berserker.gif]

Yup, I bought the Rittenhouse at K&L (in LA) for $20 and they do have their “second label” Pikeville for abou $12.

I like Russell’s Reserve, 6yo Kentucky Rye. Slightly more $ than Sazerac I think.