The Bourbon Thread

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#4101 Post by Brandon R »

Thanks, Andrew.
B. Redman

Bob W
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4102 Post by Bob W »

Brandon R wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:06 pm Nice. Good to know, Guys. Is the Special Reserve even worth drinking by itself? I didn't do enough research when I was in the store, and now I have buyer's remorse. The SR was $79, the Antique $99, both OTD.
Last time I bought a SR it was ~$30 but that was over a year ago. Taste-wise it's alright but it's a far cry from OWA.

The last OWA I bought (store pick) a few months ago was $90.

Enjoy!
W i n d e l

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4103 Post by Robert M yers »

Brandon R wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:06 pm Nice. Good to know, Guys. Is the Special Reserve even worth drinking by itself? I didn't do enough research when I was in the store, and now I have buyer's remorse. The SR was $79, the Antique $99, both OTD.
Don’t do that...I’ll ship you some.
If you like them Pm me and I’ll send/trade you at Retail $25/$50. I just can’t bear to See the gouging at retailers!

They are both very nice at the retail price. Honestly I don't find much advantage to any Whisky at secondary prices much beyond Curiosity and cool factor.
Last edited by Robert M yers on January 12th, 2021, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4104 Post by Brandon R »

Robert M yers wrote: January 11th, 2021, 8:57 pm
Don’t do that...get on my mailing list
If you like them Pm me and I’ll send/trade you at Retail $25/$50. I just can’t bear to See the gouging at retailers!

They are both very nice at the retail price. Honestly I don't find much advantage to any Whisky at secondary prices much beyond Curiosity and cool factor.
This. After reading and hearing about Weller and not having ever tried it, I figured I'd give them a whirl. This particular store had some of the real big guys for over $1,000 per! Insanity.
B. Redman

Scott E.

#4105 Post by Scott E. »

I'm a big fan of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Single Barrel. Does anyone have any info on where the sweet spots are in the Wild Turkey warehouses? In general, where do sweet spots normally occur? What is the normal layout of one of their aging warehouses (#rows high, #barrels deep, #barrels long)? Thanks for any info/insight!
$.E$te$

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4106 Post by Mike Maguire »

Mike Maguire wrote: November 5th, 2020, 9:01 pm I’m open to anything the majority wants, I like them all, I’ve had really good BT stuff for $35 and love ER as well.
I suppose we should find a retailer or restaurant willing to participate.
Still working on this but in another state, I’ll try and keep you posted.

R. Wilhite

#4107 Post by R. Wilhite »

Do you have access to the Weller 12 yr?

Ryan Wilhite

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4108 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Plcb sends out email with limited releases and they’re all sold out 1 min after the email is sent, ridiculous.

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4109 Post by Robert M yers »

R. Wilhite wrote: January 19th, 2021, 9:16 pm Do you have access to the Weller 12 yr?

No unfortunately that is a lottery release.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4110 Post by Brandon R »

Had a larger-than-I-should-have pour of Stagg Jr. last night. It's damn good stuff! Hot, so needs a little ice/water...but delicious.
B. Redman

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4111 Post by Brandon R »

Seattle Peeps, Downtown Spirits has the Belle Meade Reserve available for $69 OTD. Grabbed one to try based on earlier comments.
B. Redman

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4112 Post by Mike Maguire »

Brandon R wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 11:34 am Seattle Peeps, Downtown Spirits has the Belle Meade Reserve available for $69 OTD. Grabbed one to try based on earlier comments.
Same price at total wine too Brandon. it’s really good!

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4113 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: January 20th, 2021, 10:41 am Plcb sends out email with limited releases and they’re all sold out 1 min after the email is sent, ridiculous.
Same as it ever was and you can’t get a lot of the basics.

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4114 Post by ClarkstonMark »

PLCB Pappy lottery had over 300k entries for just over 1000 bottles. I did not win
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Jay Rohela

#4115 Post by Jay Rohela »

Blantons and pappy all day everyday, especially now that it’s cold outside. I hear it may even cure Covid 😆

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#4116 Post by Jorge Henriquez »

Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

J. Lau

#4117 Post by J. Lau »

Recently started buying various bourbons to try. I was able to grab my first bottle of Blantons, for retail. I had a decent pour two nights in a row but I am not impressed. At the 60 bucks I paid, its fine, but I would be pretty upset at tasting this for some of the secondary prices.
J o h n n y

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4118 Post by Leonard Taylor »

J. Lau wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:17 pm Recently started buying various bourbons to try. I was able to grab my first bottle of Blantons, for retail. I had a decent pour two nights in a row but I am not impressed. At the 60 bucks I paid, its fine, but I would be pretty upset at tasting this for some of the secondary prices.
It's overrated and not worth $60 IMO.
Leonard Taylor

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4119 Post by Kris Patten »

Leonard Taylor wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:21 pm
J. Lau wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:17 pm Recently started buying various bourbons to try. I was able to grab my first bottle of Blantons, for retail. I had a decent pour two nights in a row but I am not impressed. At the 60 bucks I paid, its fine, but I would be pretty upset at tasting this for some of the secondary prices.
I have definitely had lots I liked better than others. Some are richer and rounder, some seem a bit linear. I only really find that in 1:10 or 1:12 bottles.
ITB

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4120 Post by Kris Patten »

Jorge Henriquez wrote: January 31st, 2021, 8:42 pm
Their barrel selections are excellent. Hi Time barrel you have there is 12 years 5 months at 60%, for what $79.99-84.99?
ITB

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4121 Post by Mike Maguire »

Respectfully disagree, hard to beat at $60.I have a large stash , most sub $50.and would never pay some of the prices I see now.Love the SFTB , the Gold not so much.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4122 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Mike Maguire wrote: February 5th, 2021, 12:10 pm
Respectfully disagree, hard to beat at $60.I have a large stash , most sub $50.and would never pay some of the prices I see now.Love the SFTB , the Gold not so much.
With you on this across the board, although you'll probably cringe to know that I love it in Manhattans. Not as big of a fan of the Gold, which I picked up a couple of times for pretty cheap (~$90). I have not opened my SFTB, but instead just stare at it a lot while I'm in meetings :D
Instagram at @akgrill

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4123 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Can’t think of another whisky I’d rather have at $60, not counting stuff like w12. I have like 10 cases of it, it’s my house whisky.

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4124 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: February 5th, 2021, 3:08 pm

With you on this across the board, although you'll probably cringe to know that I love it in Manhattans. Not as big of a fan of the Gold, which I picked up a couple of times for pretty cheap (~$90). I have not opened my SFTB, but instead just stare at it a lot while I'm in meetings :D
I’d prefer ER or regular Buffalo trace for manhattans.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4125 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Agree 100% that ER is great, and it's readily available in WA state. Not as big of a fan for Buffalo Trace for manhattans. Funny now that you mention it, I've rotated BT out of my regular line-up. My local QFC has a $26 EC store-pick that I backstopped pretty hard and I've been using that as a mixer. Aside from the EC SP being a great bottle... buying has helped out quite a bit with proactive texts from their liquor department :D
Instagram at @akgrill

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4126 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: February 5th, 2021, 3:33 pm Agree 100% that ER is great, and it's readily available in WA state. Not as big of a fan for Buffalo Trace for manhattans. Funny now that you mention it, I've rotated BT out of my regular line-up. My local QFC has a $26 EC store-pick that I backstopped pretty hard and I've been using that as a mixer. Aside from the EC SP being a great bottle... buying has helped out quite a bit with proactive texts from their liquor department :D
SR isn’t bad if you can find it too.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4127 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: February 5th, 2021, 3:37 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote: February 5th, 2021, 3:33 pm Agree 100% that ER is great, and it's readily available in WA state. Not as big of a fan for Buffalo Trace for manhattans. Funny now that you mention it, I've rotated BT out of my regular line-up. My local QFC has a $26 EC store-pick that I backstopped pretty hard and I've been using that as a mixer. Aside from the EC SP being a great bottle... buying has helped out quite a bit with proactive texts from their liquor department :D
SR isn’t bad if you can find it too.
I've got 5 bottles of Blanton's at the moment... but SR is a ghost here. The two bottles I've got on my shelf are >1 year old.

Other one that has more or less vanished is Willett Rye. Somebody needs to tell Jason to quite being so goddamn good at his job.
Instagram at @akgrill

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4128 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I just don’t drink much booze these days, it’s more of something I drink with the boys; I occasionally have a dram with my FIL, last one besides Christmas cognac was w12.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4129 Post by Craig G »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: February 5th, 2021, 3:08 pm

Do you just mean Gold isn’t worth the higher price or is it a different style? I brought a bottle back from Japan, where it was quite cheap, but I’ve never liked it much. Because of that I never bothered to try the regular one. My bottle of Gold has a particularly strong toasted/burnt oak character that doesn’t appeal to me.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4130 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

My experience with the Gold (checking in ~6 months ago) has always been that it's hot. I don't remember the oak as much as I remember it being thin with heavy alcohol on the nose and finish. I drink quite a bit of Barrel Proof/Full Proof bourbon and most of those bottles have a better balance between the alcohol and oak (see EC BP B520, Larceny BP, Stagg Jr, etc.). YMMV, that's just been my experience.
Instagram at @akgrill

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4131 Post by Mike Maguire »

Kris Patten wrote: February 4th, 2021, 6:54 pm
Their barrel selections are excellent. Hi Time barrel you have there is 12 years 5 months at 60%, for what $79.99-84.99?
Recently picked up a couple bulleit single barrel club picks.Rumor that it’s 12 yr FR stock, haven’t opened yet but it is definitely darker .

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4132 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: February 5th, 2021, 4:44 pm My experience with the Gold (checking in ~6 months ago) has always been that it's hot. I don't remember the oak as much as I remember it being thin with heavy alcohol on the nose and finish. I drink quite a bit of Barrel Proof/Full Proof bourbon and most of those bottles have a better balance between the alcohol and oak (see EC BP B520, Larceny BP, Stagg Jr, etc.). YMMV, that's just been my experience.
I’m a big fan of the gold but only have a couple bottles so drink it infrequently.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4133 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Maybe I should be drinking your bottles, instead, then :)
Instagram at @akgrill

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#4134 Post by Jorge Henriquez »

Kris Patten wrote: February 4th, 2021, 6:54 pm
Kris,

Yeah $80 (tax included). Great buy.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4135 Post by Abbie S. »

Astor has a 15% off sale on all of their US bourbon and whiskey today only. I'm not sure if there are any deals once you add shipping.
https://www.astorwines.com/m.aspx?p=202 ... ref=ribbon
IG abbieroads

salovon

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4136 Post by alan weinberg »

Abbie S. wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:46 am Astor has a 15% off sale on all of their US bourbon and whiskey today only. I'm not sure if there are any deals once you add shipping.
will they even ship? Lots of places won’t.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4137 Post by alan weinberg »

Abbie S. wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:46 am Astor has a 15% off sale on all of their US bourbon and whiskey today only. I'm not sure if there are any deals once you add shipping.
promotion ended when I click that link.

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4138 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

They do ship to CA. Their sales are only one day. The one they had last week with 20% off still wines was absurd.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4139 Post by Mike Maguire »

Anybody have experience with Woodinville bourbon?Sad to say I’ve never tried it.Our club is looking into getting a couple barrels.Thanks ahead of time.Nevermind,got a bottle.Update, this has a lot of spice and apple tones, for 90 proof it punches above its $40 price point.
Have some barrel strength samples coming in the next couple weeks.WILL REPORT BACK!

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4140 Post by Brandon R »

Sorry I didn't see this, Mike. I like Woodinville Bourbon...decent stuff given the price, as you pointed out.
B. Redman

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4141 Post by Mike Maguire »

No worries Brandon, I’m excited to try the barrel proof stuff, could be Apple pie on steroids with vanilla ice cream [cheers.gif]

Kelly Walker

#4142 Post by Kelly Walker »

Three more days in my dry February. Bourbon or rye sounds really, really good right now!

Here are the options I am considering for my first dram:

- Old Forrester 1920 - like comfort food
- Old Forrester Single Barrel (store pick)
- Russell's Private Reserve Single Barrel (store pick)
- Hill Rock Solera
- Redemption High Rye Single Barrel Select
- Four Roses Single Barrel
- Chattanooga Whisky Straight Cask Strength
- Kentucky Owl 10 Year Small Batch Rye (114 proof)
- Whistle Pig Boss Hog Samurai Rye (120 proof)

Or maybe a great Burgundy
“It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.”
Vladimir Lenin
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners"
George Carlin

Andrew K.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4143 Post by Andrew K. »

Kelly Walker wrote: February 25th, 2021, 3:41 pm Three more days in my dry February.
I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Here's for better times! champagne.gif
к𝓁ย𝐠

Kelly Walker

#4144 Post by Kelly Walker »

Andrew K. wrote: February 25th, 2021, 4:31 pm
Kelly Walker wrote: February 25th, 2021, 3:41 pm Three more days in my dry February.
I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Here's for better times! champagne.gif
Two more days and I am confident of a full recovery! [drinkers.gif]
“It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.”
Vladimir Lenin
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners"
George Carlin

Return to “Beer and Spirits”