The Bourbon Thread

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#4051 Post by ClarkstonMark »

Andrew K. wrote: December 19th, 2020, 6:56 am Tapped into my GTS the other night. So incredibly good. Amazing smoothness and flavor with not nearly as much heat as I would expect at 129 proof (did add a few drops of water). I see why people are paying obscene prices for these bottles.

So good I had to have some more for a Zoom happy hour yesterday afternoon. Note to self: a heavy pour of 129 proof at 4pm is ill-advised.
regarding your zoom happy hour....
I work with a bunch of Germans and we have a Gluhwein party every year the Friday before Christmas. Well this year it was virtual, yesterday.
One of my younger colleagues was sipping on a big pour of Bulleit .... and then another huge pour lol.
I'd rather have the GTS of course
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Robert M yers

#4052 Post by Robert M yers »

Ran across some Makers Mark SE4 x PR5...has anybody had it yet? Worth a shot for $60?

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4053 Post by Leonard Taylor »

Yes. All day. It’s great.
Leonard Taylor

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4054 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

Tried the Belle Meade Reserve last night and really enjoyed it. TNs earlier in this thread are right on for me. Big nose and palate of mainly spice notes and caramel, maybe a bit of fruit on the palate as well. Good Bourbon and I'd say a good value at $55.

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4055 Post by Abbie S. »

Has anyone tried Mayor Pingree? I bought a bottle as a Xmas gift for my husband when I was working in MI this past week. It was highly recommended by the buyer at the store I was at. I was looking for something that I couldn't find in OH. The selection in MI blows OH away.
IG abbieroads

salovon

Jim Brennan

#4056 Post by Jim Brennan »

Is it just me, or is the whiskey / bourbon market totally overheated, with far too many new offerings in market (or coming) and many at prices that are too high?

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4057 Post by Leonard Taylor »

Jim Brennan wrote: December 21st, 2020, 9:30 am Is it just me, or is the whiskey / bourbon market totally overheated, with far too many new offerings in market (or coming) and many at prices that are too high?
It's just nuts. On weekends there are lines around the stores that begin 4-5 hours before they open. People are stalking delivery trucks and wait inside while the clerks unload the boxes. Insane.
Leonard Taylor

Adam Noble
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4058 Post by Adam Noble »

Jim Brennan wrote: December 21st, 2020, 9:30 am Is it just me, or is the whiskey / bourbon market totally overheated, with far too many new offerings in market (or coming) and many at prices that are too high?
It’s not just you. It’s insane. Worse than wine. It overheated faster and higher with far too many entrants.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4059 Post by Kris Patten »

Adam Noble wrote: December 21st, 2020, 9:35 am
It’s not just you. It’s insane. Worse than wine. It overheated faster and higher with far too many entrants.
Let's be fair, there is a ton of fairly priced, delicious Bourbon out there, more than ever before. Are there some where demand far outstrips supply, absolutely, but no different than cars, motorcycles, homes, wine (see Cornas), or any other collectible.

To be frank, most of the issues you see with pricing are the retailer, not the distillery or distributor. Pappy 23 is still $219 a bottle wholesale, for instance.

Buffalo Trace, Brown Forman, Heaven Hill, and so many other produce great products at fair prices.
ITB

Adam Noble
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4060 Post by Adam Noble »

Kris Patten wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 6:50 pm
Adam Noble wrote: December 21st, 2020, 9:35 am
Let's be fair, there is a ton of fairly priced, delicious Bourbon out there, more than ever before. Are there some where demand far outstrips supply, absolutely, but no different than cars, motorcycles, homes, wine (see Cornas), or any other collectible.

To be frank, most of the issues you see with pricing are the retailer, not the distillery or distributor. Pappy 23 is still $219 a bottle wholesale, for instance.

Buffalo Trace, Brown Forman, Heaven Hill, and so many other produce great products at fair prices.
I agree 100% on everything you say there. BT, EC, and OF are all fine choices, easy to find, and affordable.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4061 Post by Mike Maguire »

Agree with all the above, but I was thinking the other day that I get much more bang for the buck out of a $75 bottle of bourbon than I do out of a similar priced wine. And even with secondary pricing the same goes for a $200 bourbon vs a typical Napa cab.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4062 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Mike Maguire wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 8:49 pm Agree with all the above, but I was thinking the other day that I get much more bang for the buck out of a $75 bottle of bourbon than I do out of a similar priced wine. And even with secondary pricing the same goes for a $200 bourbon vs a typical Napa cab.
That’s where I’ve been headed. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (B520) has been spectacular at $57/bottle-ish, so $70 out the door? Agree with Eagle Rare, as well. In general though, I’ve been doubling down on Full/Barrel Proof bourbons lately (Larceny, 1792, EC, Stagg Jr).
Instagram at @akgrill

Jim Brennan

#4063 Post by Jim Brennan »

To be clear, there are many offerings available from both the large distilleries and smaller craft distillers that provide quality at a reasonable price (~$35-75). But the surge of higher priced offerings (from both craft and major distillers) continues to expand at a very rapid pace. It doesn't seem sustainable given what I can find in the "quality and affordability" sweet spot noted above. There are plenty of exceptional offerings in that price range, and I am rarely tempted to chase trophies, perhaps because it seems easy to find comparable flavors and experiences in the range I noted above. Seems like whiskey drinkers may wise up to that (whereas I find high end wine to generally offer a more idiosyncratic experience).

But who knows... Perhaps just me?

Adam Noble
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4064 Post by Adam Noble »

At some point it’s likely to end, but if you shorted your Pappy stock 5 years ago you would be crying into your Early Times.

Benny P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4065 Post by Benny P »

Mike Maguire wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 8:49 pm Agree with all the above, but I was thinking the other day that I get much more bang for the buck out of a $75 bottle of bourbon than I do out of a similar priced wine. And even with secondary pricing the same goes for a $200 bourbon vs a typical Napa cab.
I had similar discussions with some of my friends as well. While we love our wine, it provides us enjoyment for a day or so. However, our bourbon and other whisk(e)y, seem to provide us enjoyment consumed over several weeks. However, I always hesistate whenever my more “regular” bourbons and whiskies hit about $60-$70, whereas I have no hesitations with wine at the same price or double or sometimes triple the price depending on the bottle and occassion. I love ECBP (especially given how marked up Buffalo Trace products are), but the increasing prices of it in Southern California or the scarcity of getting it at MSRP are causing me to pause on trying to get each batch release now. When I think about it more though, it is a damn good bourbon and I shouldn’t have any issue paying a little bit more but hard for me to get pass the mental barrier of the marked up pricing.
Ben P@scu@l

Jim Brennan

#4066 Post by Jim Brennan »

Maybe if the only options are Napa Cabs. There's alot of great wine under $75 from Italy, France, Germany, Spain, and beyond. Heck, even California if it doesn't have to be Cabernet.

Corey N.

#4067 Post by Corey N. »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 9:56 pm
That’s where I’ve been headed. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (B520) has been spectacular at $57/bottle-ish, so $70 out the door? Agree with Eagle Rare, as well. In general though, I’ve been doubling down on Full/Barrel Proof bourbons lately (Larceny, 1792, EC, Stagg Jr).
Count me as another who is in the same boat. While the price of bourbon has risen, Eagle Rare (my favorite everyday bourbon) is still availble for less than the MSRP of an middling Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. I also like the fact that I'm not "forced" into consuming the entire bottle in one night (not quite true with Coravin) as I find myself wanting to consume in smaller quantities. Moreover, I get to consume the same bottle in different ways -- neat, or in a cocktail of my choosing. Finally, I am enjoy the fact that I can consume a bottle whenever, and don't have to worry about storage, aging curves, etc. Wine will always be my first love, but right now I'm more smitten by spirits.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Not a green haired white girl.

Nøv¡¢k

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4068 Post by Mike Maguire »

Jim Brennan wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 10:08 am
Maybe if the only options are Napa Cabs. There's alot of great wine under $75 from Italy, France, Germany, Spain, and beyond. Heck, even California if it doesn't have to be Cabernet.
Just using those as reference points. [cheers.gif]

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4069 Post by Leonard Taylor »

I just tried the Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof and was blown away. I haven't had JD since college days so I was completely surprised by this. A friend said it was Banana Bread in a glass and I totally agree. It is a little hot and for me a small clear cube does wonders. $70 and worth every penny.
Leonard Taylor

Robert M yers

#4070 Post by Robert M yers »

I’ve been eyeing that bottle for a year Leonard, Sounds like I should probably just buy it. Just couldn’t wrap my head around $75 Jack.

It seems to me spirits are the new craft beer. People who were chasing all the variants in beer have become bored wiTh what’s essentially the same pastry stout Under a different label. Bourbon producers/rebottles are finding a new market for all these slight variations. I too love to try new stuff but I often find I just don’t see a big enough difference in many bourbons to justify The craziness.
Last edited by Robert M yers on December 27th, 2020, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edward H. Earles

#4071 Post by Edward H. Earles »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: December 18th, 2020, 5:46 pm Blantons in the house!!!
Yow! My favorite.

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4072 Post by Peter C. »

Eagle Rare 10 on sale here for $33.99. Too bad Blantons is near $100 nowadays in my parts. Wish the 2010 me spent 10k and loaded up on $75 Pappy 15 yr, Eagle Rare 17 and $40 Blantons. Oh and Elmer T Lee for $30.
( z y ® y ( @

J0seph S c h e n c k
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4073 Post by J0seph S c h e n c k »

Big bottles of Eagle Rare near me for $65. EHT Small batch $45. Blantons nowhere to be seen

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4074 Post by ClarkstonMark »

Regarding Blanton's....
Just over a year ago I could get a case at $65/bottle. Now, I never see it, well until last week.
I saw a bottle on the wall/shelf behind the counter at a local bottle shop (in Michigan these are called party stores), decided I would get it. It was marked $90.
I tell the guy working that I want a bottle of Blanton's. He said a pint? I said, no, the fifth.
(the bottle was pretty high up on the wall/shelf, and I didn't even know Blanton's made pint bottles)
Well the pint was $90 and the fifth was $165. He asked if I wanted it. I said not at that price and walked out with my Powerball ticket
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Andrew K.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4075 Post by Andrew K. »

J0seph S c h e n c k wrote: December 31st, 2020, 12:24 am Blantons nowhere to be seen
Blantons is always available. They just have to know you. Just picked up a bottle today for $70.
к𝓁ย𝐠

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4076 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Blantons is harder to get but still around, I have nearly a lifetime supply in the cellar I just bought off the shelf locally.

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4077 Post by Peter C. »

Saw Weller Full Proof for $250 today. What a joke.
( z y ® y ( @

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4078 Post by Kris Patten »

Peter C. wrote: December 31st, 2020, 7:37 pm Saw Weller Full Proof for $250 today. What a joke.
Wholesale is $30.
ITB

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4079 Post by Peter C. »

Bingo.
( z y ® y ( @

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4080 Post by Abbie S. »

Tuesday just got better!

A03AEAA6-71EF-4C08-8C84-106E113DAAB4_1_105_c.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IG abbieroads

salovon

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4081 Post by ClarkstonMark »

Abbie S. wrote: January 5th, 2021, 8:39 am Tuesday just got better!

nice.... the PLCB lottery is open now - I had my mom enter for me.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

JulianD

#4082 Post by JulianD »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: December 31st, 2020, 7:00 pm Blantons is harder to get but still around, I have nearly a lifetime supply in the cellar I just bought off the shelf locally.
is this your magical ralphs again? still can't find one close to me that carries it.
Davies

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4083 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

JulianD wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:34 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: December 31st, 2020, 7:00 pm Blantons is harder to get but still around, I have nearly a lifetime supply in the cellar I just bought off the shelf locally.
is this your magical ralphs again? still can't find one close to me that carries it.
No, although I’ve seen it at the Westwood store the last couple times I’ve been there.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4084 Post by Brandon R »

Michael, it's purchases like your "lifetime supply" that make it harder for the rest of us to buy some of these bourbons. I understand you owe us or any other consumer absolutely jack diddly and there isn't a rule book about liquor-buying altruism, but why buy so much at once? Kind of irks me...nothing personal toward you as a person, and I know lots of people do this. Cheers.
B. Redman

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4085 Post by ClarkstonMark »

Brandon R wrote: January 7th, 2021, 9:37 am Michael, it's purchases like your "lifetime supply" that make it harder for the rest of us to buy some of these bourbons. I understand you owe us or any other consumer absolutely jack diddly and there isn't a rule book about liquor-buying altruism, but why buy so much at once? Kind of irks me...nothing personal toward you as a person, and I know lots of people do this. Cheers.
nothing different than buying a case of wine that you plan to last a lifetime.
or anything else
and I say that knowing a year and a half ago I could have bought cases of Blanton's at $65 and passed; now I only see it for $180
It is overrated due to the cool bottle anyway
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4086 Post by Abbie S. »

ClarkstonMark wrote: January 5th, 2021, 8:45 am

nice.... the PLCB lottery is open now - I had my mom enter for me.
Have you tried any of the Mayor Pingree bourbons out of Ferndale? I bought a bottle of the red label for my husband, and he loves it. I haven't tried it yet. I'm wondering how the other ones are.
IG abbieroads

salovon

JulianD

#4087 Post by JulianD »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: January 6th, 2021, 3:54 am
JulianD wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:34 pm
No, although I’ve seen it at the Westwood store the last couple times I’ve been there.
Nice. I’ll check it out when I’m in the area.
Davies

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4088 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Completely destroyed the bourbon budget in one fell swoop :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Instagram at @akgrill

Bob W
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4089 Post by Bob W »

I remember when I could find Blanton’s for $60. Those were the days...
W i n d e l

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4090 Post by Mike Maguire »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: January 9th, 2021, 10:34 am Completely destroyed the bourbon budget in one fell swoop :)
Nicely done AK!

Alan Rath
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4091 Post by Alan Rath »

ClarkstonMark wrote: December 19th, 2020, 8:47 am
Andrew K. wrote: December 19th, 2020, 6:56 am Tapped into my GTS the other night. So incredibly good. Amazing smoothness and flavor with not nearly as much heat as I would expect at 129 proof (did add a few drops of water). I see why people are paying obscene prices for these bottles.

So good I had to have some more for a Zoom happy hour yesterday afternoon. Note to self: a heavy pour of 129 proof at 4pm is ill-advised.
regarding your zoom happy hour....
I work with a bunch of Germans and we have a Gluhwein party every year the Friday before Christmas. Well this year it was virtual, yesterday.
One of my younger colleagues was sipping on a big pour of Bulleit .... and then another huge pour lol.
I'd rather have the GTS of course
Just saw this. I used to visit Siemens Medical in Germany, late 80s. Every afternoon on the factory floor, a little beer trolley came around, and everyone would take a beer break.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Adam Noble
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4092 Post by Adam Noble »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: January 9th, 2021, 10:34 am Completely destroyed the bourbon budget in one fell swoop :)
You have a bourbon budget? That’s cute.

Rajesh P a r i k h

#4093 Post by Rajesh P a r i k h »

Wow! Awesome to see someone actually win! I was starting to think all the bottles went to Ohio Liquor friends and family haha.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4094 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Adam Noble wrote: January 11th, 2021, 4:28 am
You have a bourbon budget? That’s cute.
In fairness, it's more theoretical than exact :D
Instagram at @akgrill

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4095 Post by Brandon R »

Nice. Really love that McKenna 10.
B. Redman

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4096 Post by Brandon R »

Grabbed these on Friday. Probably WAY overpaid, but oh well. I haven't had either.

B. Redman

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4097 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

From a quality perspective, I'm a big fan of the OWA... as much, if not more than the Weller 12. That's just a great bottle!

SR, you probably overpaid :D
Instagram at @akgrill

Bob W
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4098 Post by Bob W »

Love OWA!
20180728_OWA_001-Edit.jpg
W i n d e l

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4099 Post by Brandon R »

Nice. Good to know, Guys. Is the Special Reserve even worth drinking by itself? I didn't do enough research when I was in the store, and now I have buyer's remorse. The SR was $79, the Antique $99, both OTD.
B. Redman

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4100 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Brandon R wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:06 pm Nice. Good to know, Guys. Is the Special Reserve even worth drinking by itself? I didn't do enough research when I was in the store, and now I have buyer's remorse. The SR was $79, the Antique $99, both OTD.
In Seattle, those are great prices man. There is just such a material difference in quality between the two, imho.
Instagram at @akgrill

Return to “Beer and Spirits”