Your Gin?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Your Gin?

#401 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Evan Tunis wrote: April 5th, 2020, 3:45 pm Loved Plymouth Gin for over 20+ Year but now discovered the "Navy Strength". Its amazing
Scroll up a bit - couldn’t agree more. I knock down two of this at 2:1 fever tree in a pint glass and I’m good for a couple of hours :)
Instagram at @akgrill

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#402 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: April 5th, 2020, 5:10 pm
Evan Tunis wrote: April 5th, 2020, 3:45 pm Loved Plymouth Gin for over 20+ Year but now discovered the "Navy Strength". Its amazing
Scroll up a bit - couldn’t agree more. I knock down two of this at 2:1 fever tree in a pint glass and I’m good for a couple of hours :)
Scroll up a LOT -- the Navy Strength came up for the first time in this very thread more than 10 years ago!
[wow.gif]
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#403 Post by T. Altmayer »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: February 7th, 2020, 3:36 pm
K John Joseph wrote: February 7th, 2020, 2:15 pm Silent Pool Gin - Surrey, England. This gin has something like 24 botanicals, layered in during the distillation process. It is a hair sweet, and has a decidedly floral entry, but has nice underlying citrus notes, a bit of spice, and a touch of coriander. Only just a touch reminiscent of chamomile tea with honey, but then you get a pop of lime leaf and citrus. I seemed to taste a little something different with each sip. Very smooth, well layered, and lovely. Pretty good stuff. This goes to my recommended list.

As an aside, I am not one to buy for bottle beauty, but this is really lovely. Pale blue glass with a coppery gold leaf design of the 24 botanicals and more around the bottle. It is very pretty.
I like this gin a lot. It was new to me when I tried it in Edinburgh this past fall, and I liked it enough to bring a bottle home. I like a grapefruit slice and thyme spring as garnish.
I'm a big fan of this gin. It is a bit modern, but makes a wonderful martini.
Tom

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#404 Post by T. Altmayer »

Had Nolet's Silver in a Martini and was taken aback by just how floral (roses in particular) this gin was. I enjoyed it, but clearly one of the more unique gin flavor profiles out there. IMO, probably better in a G&T, but its pricey so maybe not worth it for a mixed drink.
Tom

gregolson

#405 Post by gregolson »

Over the years, I've tried many gins and landed on Plymouth for my martinis and Hendrick's for my G&Ts. For the G&T, I use Italian tonic made with chinotto - really takes it up a notch. In the US, I use Lurisia La Nostra Acqua Tonica, but in Italy I prefer Tassoni Tonica Superfine which is made with cedra - so not really a tonic water - but so much more flavor kick.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#406 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: April 5th, 2020, 5:10 pm
Go for Schweppes Ginger Beer and you can amp up the Gin to mixer ratio to 11:1, total SpinalTap.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#407 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

gregolson wrote: April 17th, 2020, 7:40 am Over the years, I've tried many gins and landed on Plymouth for my martinis and Hendrick's for my G&Ts. For the G&T, I use Italian tonic made with chinotto - really takes it up a notch. In the US, I use Lurisia La Nostra Acqua Tonica, but in Italy I prefer Tassoni Tonica Superfine which is made with cedra - so not really a tonic water - but so much more flavor kick.
$5 a bottle on amazon

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#408 Post by T. Altmayer »

Just tried Malfy Con Limone gin. Wow, the lemon is overpowering to me and it tastes more like an infused Vodka than a gin. Not my thing at all, even in a gin and tonic.
Tom

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#409 Post by Robert M yers »

Picked up a bottle of St George The other day and just cracked it. Very unique, savory and herbal. This is the anti Monkey or Noblet ( which I’m not a fan of ) but I’m thinking for me this swings the pendulum Possibly a bit too far back?

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#410 Post by T. Altmayer »

Robert M yers wrote: July 16th, 2020, 8:07 pm Picked up a bottle of St George The other day and just cracked it. Very unique, savory and herbal. This is the anti Monkey or Noblet ( which I’m not a fan of ) but I’m thinking for me this swings the pendulum Possibly a bit too far back?
Given its savory/pine notes (at least in the St. George’s Terrior), I tend to use it in the Winter. To me, its not the best wine for a martini, but really adds a unique dimension to a gin and tonic. And yes, for those purists, people from California drink G&Ts all year long. neener
Tom

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#411 Post by Robert M yers »

Yes I checked my bottle is the terroir, I didn’t realize they made multiple bottlings.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#412 Post by K John Joseph »

Leopold's American Small Batch Gin This is a fun gin. Wife got me a six month gin club membership from Mash & Grape and this was the first delivery. A gin I've not had, and that's a good start. The nose has some nice underlying juniper and lovely punch or orange, followed by nice spice and citrus peel. This could be a hair smoother, but has fair complexity and the orange note and citrus peel keeps things bright. A nice counter to the spice notes. Pretty solid in a gin and tonic. If you use it in a martini, go a little more vermouth than you'd usually use. 3:1 here is probably best and, with that ratio, it's a nice drink.

Second month's delivery is Gin Mare. Gin Mare is a really fine and nearly perfectly balanced gin. I've given it two thumbs up in this thread a number of times and already had an open bottle in the cabinet but was jazzed to get another one. If you've not had it and aren't looking for some citrus dominant gin, grab a bottle. It's about as silky smooth and balanced as can be, and not all tricked up with overpowering botanicals. It's lovely.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#413 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

@KJJ - Leopold Brothers make some great spirits; I use their absinthe frequently. Good stuff.
Instagram at @akgrill

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#414 Post by scamhi »

what we have right now
Sipsmith London Dry classic juniper profile
Blue Gin so clean and pure from Austria
Monkey47- all around great gin
Old Raj 110 proof- has a touch of saffron
Roku Gin from Japan. lots of Yuzu flavor
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#415 Post by Kris Patten »

We sell it so beware, but just started drinking Empress 1908 from Canada. Crazy blue color from Butterfly pea blossom, and more citrus forward with the grapefruit peel and Empress Hotel house tea as core components.

Great summer G&T, we grab a grapefruit and then pick an herb or peppercorn and add it.

The blue color from pea blossom changes color as pH changes, so add tonic and it turns fuschia.

It and Midsummer from Hendricks are go to summer Gin selections now.
ITB

Paul Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#416 Post by Paul Miller »

Not really the kind of gin we’re talking about, but I bought this today. Had a few samples last winter, but didn’t want to commit to a full bottle. Found a small bottle today. Need to figure out how to use it, besides aperitif.

DB902247-A515-4EC0-BA7E-EC556C026833.jpeg

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#417 Post by dcornutt »

I love Blue Gin. I have lots of them in the house but this is my go to. I really do think it is one of the best. FWIW.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Christine Huang

#418 Post by Christine Huang »

Got a new batch try this weekend. So far, we’ve opened the Dingle and like it a lot. We’ll be ordering more of this. Any insights into the the rest of the batch?
Attachments
C7369C4D-3C2C-41C3-9677-47C2B5694551.jpeg

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#419 Post by K John Joseph »

Kris Patten wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 3:38 pm We sell it so beware, but just started drinking Empress 1908 from Canada. Crazy blue color from Butterfly pea blossom, and more citrus forward with the grapefruit peel and Empress Hotel house tea as core components.

Great summer G&T, we grab a grapefruit and then pick an herb or peppercorn and add it.

The blue color from pea blossom changes color as pH changes, so add tonic and it turns fuschia.

While there have been mixed reviews about it in this thread, I think that Empress 1908 is a solid gin. I think that if it was clear, it would have a great following. I do not think the color is a gimmick, though I admit being quite biased against it when I made my first drink. I thought the bottle was colored, not the gin, until I got home and made a G&T. Though horrified, I think it's pretty good stuff.

I think Midsummer is over the top floral, but makes for some fun cocktails and a summery G&T. I've got it in the cabinet, but prefer Orbium, which I had last night.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#420 Post by K John Joseph »

Christine Huang wrote: July 25th, 2020, 10:58 am Got a new batch try this weekend. So far, we’ve opened the Dingle and like it a lot. We’ll be ordering more of this. Any insights into the the rest of the batch?
Hayman makes a solid standard London Dry. It's good, not great, but a really solid gin that makes a good G&T, a decent martini, and is good in cocktails. I keep a bottle of their Old Tom for certain cocktails. Dinlge is a pretty unique gin. It's bog myrtle or whatever botanical note gives it a floral and grassy note without much sweetness, which is nice for a hot day G&T. I first had it in Dingle, Ireland, but only found it in the states a couple of years later. I've got it in the cabinet and it's grown on me a bit, especially during Texas's brutally hot summers. I've not had Aria, Bluecoat, or Berto. Let us know what you think!

I went back to the well for the first time in quite a few years and grabbed a bottle of St. George Botanivore. It's distinctly grassy and herbaceous with punchy lemon citrus and spice notes on the back end. It has good complexity but has a touch of an edge. Not quite top shelf, but a good G&T gin and one I've got no problems drinking.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#421 Post by Kris Patten »

K John Joseph wrote: July 28th, 2020, 7:50 am
Kris Patten wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 3:38 pm We sell it so beware, but just started drinking Empress 1908 from Canada. Crazy blue color from Butterfly pea blossom, and more citrus forward with the grapefruit peel and Empress Hotel house tea as core components.

While there have been mixed reviews about it in this thread, I think that Empress 1908 is a solid gin. I think that if it was clear, it would have a great following. I do not think the color is a gimmick, though I admit being quite biased against it when I made my first drink. I thought the bottle was colored, not the gin, until I got home and made a G&T. Though horrified, I think it's pretty good stuff.

I think Midsummer is over the top floral, but makes for some fun cocktails and a summery G&T. I've got it in the cabinet, but prefer Orbium, which I had last night.
Orbium is a more Fall/Winter robust cocktail addition for me to make more distinctive Negroni's and the such.
ITB

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#422 Post by Robert M yers »

Mahon just became available here so I picked up a bottle to try out. I see a couple others point out that it is very piney and to me it does have that note, but it’s not overwhelming. I’m a London Dry guy though so... cool story and nice Gin for me but ultimately not worth the premium price to keep drinking it. I bit of a bitter Note on the finish is throwing me off.

Roku really impressed me with its light but also flavorful touch. Seems like a great summertime Gin. Will buy again for sure.

Empress and Bonivatore are on deck.

Chris S p i k e s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#423 Post by Chris S p i k e s »

Finally got around to finding Monkey in the L bottle so I could try at home. It is definitely quite good, but I'm not sure I would put it above Old Raj, which is my #1.

My current rank:

1. Old Raj
2. Monkey
3. Junipero

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#424 Post by K John Joseph »

Chris S p i k e s wrote: July 31st, 2020, 1:30 pm Finally got around to finding Monkey in the L bottle so I could try at home. It is definitely quite good, but I'm not sure I would put it above Old Raj, which is my #1.

My current rank:

1. Old Raj
2. Monkey
3. Junipero
This is a fun game. Mine change over time, but I think my top 3 over the past few months are probably:

1. Gin Mare - pure balance and smoothness with good complexity
2. Ki No Be - bright citrus, juniper, and spice makes a brilliant crisp G&T
3. Monkey - I don't drink this very often, but it's just so complex and well built that I am always catching something a little different
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#425 Post by K John Joseph »

Kris Patten wrote: July 28th, 2020, 12:44 pm Orbium is a more Fall/Winter robust cocktail addition for me to make more distinctive Negroni's and the such.
Orbium gets pretty mixed reviews, but I think it's absolutely sensational in a G&T. Its combo of a firm bitter note from quinine mixed with sweet floral aromas and decent citrus undertones makes it pop for me with a lime wedge. One of my favorites. That said, I've actually struggled to find a good home for it in cocktails, whereas I think the Midsummer really lends itself to bright and floral cocktails.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#426 Post by K John Joseph »

K John Joseph wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:08 pm Koval Dry Gin -- From a distillery in Chicago I've been wanting to try. Had this at The Mitchell in Dallas, served with a tonic I did not catch and a lemon wedge. The notes coming off the gin are really nice, with warm spice, citrus, and a hint of floral sweetness. I picked up rose, pepper, lemon, cassia, soft juniper notes. Little sweeter than I really prefer, but not knowing the tonic, I cannot attribute that with any certainty to the gin. Pretty nice and balanced, with good complexity. I'll try this again. Worth a look.
Follow Up: I bought a bottle of this and have been having an occasional G&T with it. I have to say that the warm spice profile is a bit overwhelming and takes some of the brightness out of a gin and tonic. I don't really like this gin very much anymore, and would not recommend it, especially in light of the tariff. May be better in cocktails and a martini, but not my jams in a gin and tonic.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#427 Post by Kris Patten »

K John Joseph wrote: August 19th, 2020, 2:29 pm
Kris Patten wrote: July 28th, 2020, 12:44 pm Orbium is a more Fall/Winter robust cocktail addition for me to make more distinctive Negroni's and the such.
Orbium gets pretty mixed reviews, but I think it's absolutely sensational in a G&T. Its combo of a firm bitter note from quinine mixed with sweet floral aromas and decent citrus undertones makes it pop for me with a lime wedge. One of my favorites. That said, I've actually struggled to find a good home for it in cocktails, whereas I think the Midsummer really lends itself to bright and floral cocktails.
New limited release Hendrick's expression coming out called Lunar that was Europe only to the US.
ITB

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#428 Post by K John Joseph »

Four Pillars Gin - Australia - Spicy potpourri nose with intense orange notes. Nice and smooth on the palate and solid in a gin and tonic. The orange and spice dominates the gin, with juniper sliding in late along with an herbaceous grassy note. Overall, a pretty solid gin that I'm enjoying.

Gray Whale Gin - California - Really want to like this and am beginning to get there. Botanicals, which include mint, kelp, and more classic gin botanicals, had me pretty excited to try this gin. It's smooth and well integrated straight, though when straight, or even in an overly strong cocktail, I think that the distinct umami/saline note from the kombu/kelp over powers the more interesting mint, pine, and juniper notes. In a more dialed back G&T, it's pretty good, and the underlying faint hint of mint and pine make for an intriguing drink. Well made. If the balance is right, it's pretty enjoyable stuff.

Leopold's American Small Batch Gin I previously reviewed this but wanted to come back around and note that this is a middle-of-the-pack gin. I like the citrusy flavor profile well enough as previously noted, but it's just a bit rough hewn and lacks the complexity of some its similarly priced competitors.

Ki No Bi "Sei" Navy Strength Gin - I am a big fan of Ki No Bi Japanese Dry Gin. I think it's a really solid product worth the very-high tariff and love the balance of traditional juniper notes with bright citrus, great complexity, silky smoothness, and an interesting underlying note from the use of rice as the base. Last time in the liquor store I saw that they'd released their Ki No Bi Sei, a navy-strength version of their original, and Ki No Tea, a release with strong gyokura and sencha tea botanicals. I like giving Navy Strength gins a go in a gin and tonic because they typically have punchier botanicals that can really shine and stand out (think Martin Miller's Westbourne Strength) without eating the heat like you might in a dry martini. The Ki No Bi Sei is certainly punchy and the juniper, yuzu, some spicy ginger, and nice bitter root make for an intense and very delicious gin and tonic. With that said, I'm not sure I like this more than the Ki No Bi (the regular). Still, it is quite good.

Ki No Tea The Kyoto Distillery's special bottling with added gyokura and sencha tea as the predominant botanicals. Look, I'll shoot straight here, I think this gin tastes gross. I was affirmatively put off by this gin. For full disclosure, I also do not like Drumshanbo Irish Gunpowder Gin. I think the herbaceous "gunpowder" tea note that is the focus of that unique gin to be pretty off putting too. So maybe if you love that gin, this gin would be okay. But to me, the umami and herbaceous tea notes, mixed with the rice base, is really not very enjoyable and goes rather terribly with the big juniper backbone on these Kyoto Distillery gins........I guess you could say it's just not my..........cup ..... of ...... tea!

Mil Gin Ireland by way of Spain. A pretty fun and well made contemporary gin. Good punch of juniper and bitter notes followed by a clean citrus finish with bright rosemary and thyme cleaning things up. It gives it a touch of an herbal note and nice complexity as it finishes off. This could be a touch smoother, but integrates well into a gin and tonic with Fever Tree Indian Tonic. Pretty solid overall. Probably better in a gin and tonic than in a martini here, but certainly enjoyable.

Generous Gin - France. This doesn't really matter much, but this is, with Silent Pool, easily one of the most beautiful bottles of gin on the market. The gin itself is very interesting, with a good punch of juniper followed floral notes, then citrus and peppery spice. It's really quite complex, though the cut from the citrus and spice is a bit of an odd contrast to the floral notes, presumably from the elderflower and jasmine. It creates an interesting and complex gin and tonic, though maybe not my favorite tasting one, if that makes sense. It's nice and fresh, I'm just not sure that all of the flavors are in perfect harmony. Good quality product, though, and one I'm happy enough to drink.

Black Button Distillery - The Original Gin -- I can't even find anything about this gin online, but it appears to be a relatively standard dry gin that has seen some barrel age. It's not even on their website. I got this delivered blind through Grape & Mash's monthly club deal that my wife got me for my birthday. So far Gin Mare, Four Pillars, and Leopold's have been solid to great (I adore Gin Mare with a lime slice and tonic, Leopold's is pretty good, Four Pillars is quite good). This "Original Gin" is not my jams. First, it's brownish. I'm not a big fan of bourbon barrel aged gin because I don't like the flavors of bourbon and do like the flavors of gin. I want juniper and citrus, not vanilla and caramel. This gin is just a bit of a mess. It's got some of everything, but not much fully integrated into a smooth and complex product. i'll pass, and this one is already pretty far back in the closet. I'm thinking this was an experiment that didn't quite come off as well as Black Button hoped. They sell their American Dry Gin and Citrus Forward Gin fairly well, but this appears to have been swept under the rug.
J0hn-J-K4ne

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#429 Post by T. Altmayer »

I’m a big fan of new gins, but had a Beefeater martini the other night and it was a lovely cocktail. Such a classic and underrated gin.
Tom

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#430 Post by K John Joseph »

T. Altmayer wrote: October 28th, 2020, 8:13 am I’m a big fan of new gins, but had a Beefeater martini the other night and it was a lovely cocktail. Such a classic and underrated gin.
I feel like Beefeater got this third chair reputation behind Tanqueray and Bombay Sapphire. I don't really get it. I think if you're a fan of the london dry style, Beefeater is easily the best of those three. Is it the most complex? Not really. But it's a rock solid london dry, good in a martini, good in a cocktail. It's why they use it at premium places like Death & Co. as their go-to gin. I think Berry Bros No. 3 is probably better for a pure london dry style, but nothing wrong with Beefeater. By contrast, I think Bombay Sapphire is nasty.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#431 Post by K John Joseph »

Scapegrace Gin - New Zealand - Formerly Rogue Society, but changed to Scapegrace due to trademark disputes in the EU. Leans a more classic juniper based london dry in style, with lemon peel and some spice on the tail. Good solid juniper driven gin. Like a london dry with a small pop of citrus on the back. Pretty good in a gin and tonic with a small slice of lemon or lime. Perhaps not the most complex gin, but good at what it is.
J0hn-J-K4ne

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#432 Post by T. Altmayer »

K John Joseph wrote: October 29th, 2020, 1:14 pm
T. Altmayer wrote: October 28th, 2020, 8:13 am I’m a big fan of new gins, but had a Beefeater martini the other night and it was a lovely cocktail. Such a classic and underrated gin.
I feel like Beefeater got this third chair reputation behind Tanqueray and Bombay Sapphire. I don't really get it. I think if you're a fan of the london dry style, Beefeater is easily the best of those three. Is it the most complex? Not really. But it's a rock solid london dry, good in a martini, good in a cocktail. It's why they use it at premium places like Death & Co. as their go-to gin. I think Berry Bros No. 3 is probably better for a pure london dry style, but nothing wrong with Beefeater. By contrast, I think Bombay Sapphire is nasty.
Not a fan of Sapphire at all, although I think the regular Bombay is solid. Tanqueray is sentimental favorite of mine but I sometimes tire of the licorice flavor. Berry Bros No. 3 is very good as well.
Tom

Dave McCloskey

#433 Post by Dave McCloskey »

Monkey 47 is my favorite gin (Wine Spectator rated it the best Gin in the world), but I recently purchased Drum Shanbo out of Ireland that's very interesting and makes a great G&T when combined with Fever Tree's Mediterranean tonic water.
Last edited by Dave McCloskey on November 16th, 2020, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave McCloskey

#434 Post by Dave McCloskey »

adam landa wrote: September 15th, 2010, 6:55 am Another fan of Hendricks.
I was a fan of Hendricks until a friend said, "You know this has a Palmolive dishwashing soap smell." Done, over and out. He was dead on and from then on out that's all I smelled. Now their new Gin with Wormwood doesn't have any of that soapy smell and is very good.

Dave McCloskey

#435 Post by Dave McCloskey »

Brent C l a y t o n wrote: May 30th, 2012, 6:56 pm Scottish gin seems to be 'in' this year, I tried the Botanist at the Whiskey Live event here in NYC. There was also Caorunn Gin, which is really nice.
I also like the Botanist. To me it's not over Botanical. Some of these new gins taste like a botanical chemistry lab. Sometimes too much of a good thing turns out bad.

Dave McCloskey

#436 Post by Dave McCloskey »

K John Joseph wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 9:15 am Q Tonic is focused on low sugar.

The Fever Tree Medi tastes more like club soda.
I agree and I kind of like that about it. There's enough tonic taste, but it comes across a little more clean/fresh. It doesn't take away from the gin.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#437 Post by K John Joseph »

Glad to have you and some activity in the gin thread!
J0hn-J-K4ne

Dave McCloskey

#438 Post by Dave McCloskey »

K John Joseph wrote: November 18th, 2020, 11:28 am Glad to have you and some activity in the gin thread!
Glad to be here and hope this thread continues.

I tried Ransom Old Tom last night for the first time and was impressed... very different, but I liked it.

I've been to the UK twice over the last two years and Gin is incredibly popular. Last year I was in Cardiff watching a 6 Nations rugby match and they had Gin cocktail stands set-up throughout the stadium. I had some very new and interesting Gin's and Gin cocktails.

LMD Ermitaño

#439 Post by LMD Ermitaño »

Dave McCloskey wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:53 amI tried Ransom Old Tom last night for the first time and was impressed... very different, but I liked it.
I’ve tried Ransom Old Tom and found it pleasant enough - thought it to be a gin for whisky drinkers. It’s not something I look for; but interesting.
Last edited by LMD Ermitaño on November 22nd, 2020, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Brent C l a y t o n

#440 Post by Brent C l a y t o n »

Old Tom is definitely a good crossover style for Gin-->Whiskey or vice versa.

Gin season is winding down for me, but I have been doing mostly Perry's Tot from NY Distilling this year. Great QPR for a navy-strength gin ($22 retail), the high abv, juniper focused style I prefer, and local.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Dave McCloskey

#441 Post by Dave McCloskey »

LMD Ermitaño wrote: November 21st, 2020, 7:03 am
Dave McCloskey wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:53 amI tried Ransom Old Tom last night for the first time and was impressed... very different, but I liked it.
I’ve tried Ransom Old Tom and found it pleasant enough - thought it to be a gin for whisky drinkers. It’s not something I look for; but interesting.
The recipe is about 150 years old. I'd be interested to know what they were aiming for... a whiskey with gin aromatics and botanicals, because that's what I got out of it. When I'm up for something interesting this will be a nice choice. I need some cocktails suitable for it though.

Right now I'm doing a G&T with Citadelle, the gin from France. I'd categorize as more traditional British, ala Beefeater with a more subdued Juniper berry not and some citrus coming through. Very nice indeed.

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#442 Post by TGigante »

Dave McCloskey wrote: November 24th, 2020, 2:08 pm
The recipe is about 150 years old. I'd be interested to know what they were aiming for... a whiskey with gin aromatics and botanicals, because that's what I got out of it. When I'm up for something interesting this will be a nice choice. I need some cocktails suitable for it though.

Right now I'm doing a G&T with Citadelle, the gin from France. I'd categorize as more traditional British, ala Beefeater with a more subdued Juniper berry not and some citrus coming through. Very nice indeed.
I’ve seen Old Tom called for in a few Martinez recipes
Cheers,
Tony

Dave McCloskey

#443 Post by Dave McCloskey »

TGigante wrote: November 24th, 2020, 2:30 pm
Dave McCloskey wrote: November 24th, 2020, 2:08 pm

I’ve seen Old Tom called for in a few Martinez recipes
Thanks. [cheers.gif]

Given that it's kind of a whiskey hybrid I wonder if you make some type of modified Manhattan out of it.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#444 Post by K John Joseph »

Brent C l a y t o n wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 1:45 pm Old Tom is definitely a good crossover style for Gin-->Whiskey or vice versa.

Gin season is winding down for me, but I have been doing mostly Perry's Tot from NY Distilling this year. Great QPR for a navy-strength gin ($22 retail), the high abv, juniper focused style I prefer, and local.
Try Sipsmith VJOP for the heavyweight of the navy strength punchy juniper style. It's wonderful.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Brent C l a y t o n

#445 Post by Brent C l a y t o n »

Jared from Sipsmith throwing me a VJOP martini back in 2015.
Attachments
5B5B4467-974E-426C-BE0C-FE197F0201EF.jpeg
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#446 Post by K John Joseph »

Brent C l a y t o n wrote: December 1st, 2020, 2:59 pm Jared from Sipsmith throwing me a VJOP martini back in 2015.
As a gin lover, that is most excellent.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#447 Post by K John Joseph »

Alright, gins of the year. I have some personal favorite gins, like Gin Mare, Monkey 47, Berry Bros, Sipsmith, Hendricks Orbium and others that just make a great gin and tonic. But this year I think I've tried more gins than ever. Alkkemist, Mil, Harahorn are all solid. Bareksten and Four Pillars really interesting. Scheidam's weird but an occasional oddball treat. But I needed to get a Christmas gift for my dad, and so bought my two 2020 Favorite Gins:

Silent Pool Gin

Ki No Bi Gin

I think that Silent Pool is one of the more complex gins out there, without tasting like it has 40 botanicals and sells that distinct aggressive botanical note. It is also phenomenally smooth, not overly sweet, and works incredibly well in both a G&T with a citrus peel, and in a classic martini with a lemon twist. Just an overall great gin. It's what you look for in a sensational wine. Smooth, layered, complex, but with a complexity that is integrated. Really good and wonderfully subtle stuff.

Ki No Bi gin is one of those gins in the cabinet that I just kept going back to. It's like Roku, except a whole different step up in quality. It really jumps out of the glass with that bit of citrus and makes for an exceptionally satisfying gin and tonic. Subtle rice spirit notes with citrus and herbal complexity in a silky smooth package. I prefer this to the navy strength and the godawful green tea flavored offering. But this is great stuff.

So what are YOUR gins of the year?
J0hn-J-K4ne

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#448 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

A friend who runs a wine shop suggested we try a new gin he's been carrying - Bobby's Schiedam Dry Gin. From the Netherlands and seemingly affiliated with Herman Jansen Distillery, coming in on the light side at 42.% alcohol. It claims to be "Dutch Courage mixed with Indonesian spice."

We tried this in a G&T with your basic Fever Tree Indian Tonic and a kaffir lime leaf garnish. Very decidedly on the east asian spice side with lots of lemongrass, cardamom and clove. Light on the juniper. Those are flavors I like a lot, but I can see how you need to be in the mood for that profile. I would absolutely want this in my G&T with Indian food. Or Indonesian, I suppose, though that doesn't happen as often. I would not use this in a martini, nor when I want a more neutral gin, like in a Last Word. It would do well in more tropical cocktails, likely mix well with lime juice for a Gimlet variation like the one I made the other night with kaffir lime simply syrup and matcha. Jonathan bemoaned the low alcohol level, saying that for him it was a lot of flavor without enough body, but he gets fussy when any spirit is below 50%. :)
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#449 Post by K John Joseph »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: December 6th, 2020, 5:17 am A friend who runs a wine shop suggested we try a new gin he's been carrying - Bobby's Schiedam Dry Gin. From the Netherlands and seemingly affiliated with Herman Jansen Distillery, coming in on the light side at 42.% alcohol. It claims to be "Dutch Courage mixed with Indonesian spice."

We tried this in a G&T with your basic Fever Tree Indian Tonic and a kaffir lime leaf garnish. Very decidedly on the east asian spice side with lots of lemongrass, cardamom and clove. Light on the juniper. Those are flavors I like a lot, but I can see how you need to be in the mood for that profile. I would absolutely want this in my G&T with Indian food. Or Indonesian, I suppose, though that doesn't happen as often. I would not use this in a martini, nor when I want a more neutral gin, like in a Last Word. It would do well in more tropical cocktails, likely mix well with lime juice for a Gimlet variation like the one I made the other night with kaffir lime simply syrup and matcha. Jonathan bemoaned the low alcohol level, saying that for him it was a lot of flavor without enough body, but he gets fussy when any spirit is below 50%. :)
First time I had this I thought the thai/indonesian flavors were so strong it was an odd ball even in a gin and tonic. It's grown on me quite a bit since, though it is so strongly flavored I can do all of one of them before I transition to something else. I don't dislike it, though. It is just very intensely flavored.

This weekend I had Hapusa Himalayan Dry Gin, and Indian gin that's getting some decent noise. It is both distinctly dry and distinctly herbaceous, showing a very strong coriander note that pairs fairly well with punchy juniper, some underlying kafir lime, and some spice. Good with fever tree indian tonic and a slice of lime. Decent amount going on, crisp and dry. If you like that crisp herbaceous pop, a well made gin.

Also had Komasa Gin, a Japanese craft gin made with Sakurajima komikan, a little tiny satsuma mandarin. It's pretty clear from the packaging that this gin is all about highlighting these sweet little mandarins. Straight, this gin is smooth, has a distinctly sweet orange note, and is a touch viscous. With fever tree indian tonic and a small orange slice, it becomes a bit cloying and orange dominant. With fever tree indian and a lime slice, the orange remains the star of the show, but the acid helps cut what I found to be overt sweetness from the Komasa Gin. Skurnik, who carries this in its portfolio, suggests rocks or splash of club soda. I can see why. Adding the sugar in tonic typically serves to balance the bitter juniper note and acid from citrus in a G&T, which makes for a refreshing, complex, and balanced cocktail. Here, though, it makes for a bit of a muddled sweet orange mess. I'll try again with Fever Tree light or Fever Tree Medi to reduce the sweetness. The orange note is really lovely, and maybe this would be a unique martini. Just need to find a better way to deploy it.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Ken Rudman

#450 Post by Ken Rudman »

Masahiro-Okinawa-Gin-1263x1600.jpg
Just got a bottle of Masahiro Okinawan gin.

Base is Awamori, and the botanicals are local to Okinawa, including shequasar, guava leaves, and Balinese long pepper and some juniper. The guava leaf really comes through, which I appreciated because I like to drink guava leaf tea and this has a very similar character. Tried it in a Martinez variant and it was quite nice. Straight is delivers quite a bit of flavor, too.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”