Your Gin?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: Your Gin?

#351 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 18th, 2019, 9:42 pm

I definitely have to dig up a few more gins mentioned here, as I can't imagine a better one than The Botanist, particularly for a dry martini
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

LMD Ermitaño

#352 Post by LMD Ermitaño » November 14th, 2019, 3:51 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 9:42 pm
I definitely have to dig up a few more gins mentioned here, as I can't imagine a better one than The Botanist, particularly for a dry martini
Botanist is one my go-to gins for G+Ts (with Fever Tree as much as possible). It makes for a fun all-day/night session fun drink. Monkey 47 for a more “serious” drink. I also like London No. 3. ¡Salud!
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Tyler F.

#353 Post by Tyler F. » November 15th, 2019, 5:59 pm

The Bontanist is probably one of the most balanced gins I've had. It's sufficiently complex and there's not any single descriptor/element that dominates more than the next. I think that is the appeal for most people.
Tyler Fabian

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#354 Post by Kris Patten » November 16th, 2019, 3:58 pm

If you haven't tried it Drumshanbo Gunpowder Gin is worth a shot.
ITB

Mike Rodgers

#355 Post by Mike Rodgers » November 24th, 2019, 7:15 am

Monkey 47 is too good to mix with anything
[cheers.gif] champagne.gif

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#356 Post by K John Joseph » December 10th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Alkkemist Gin - Gin and tonic with a lemon wedge. Interesting gin. Fairly dominated by citrus fruits and fennel. Finishes long with a nice citrus and juniper finish with some floral notes. Fairly complex and very smooth. Would be good in a martini with a twist, and held its own very well in a G&T.

For those making their way to downtown Dallas, The Mitchell has the best gin selection I've ever seen at any bar anywhere, and crafty bartenders. A wonderful find for a cocktail with my wife before my firm Christmas party.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Milton Hudson

#357 Post by Milton Hudson » December 17th, 2019, 7:24 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 1:24 pm
Uncle Val's Botanical Gin I don't like this gin. I learned after the fact that this is a compound gin. London Dry gins are distilled with botanicals, and cannot have any flavoring or additional botanicals added after the distillation process. The result is an infusion of flavors, and typically a lighter less heavy handed flavor. Then you have distilled or concentrate gins that are distilled with botanicals to make a concentrate then cut back to reduce the labor intensity. Then you have compound gins, which basically just add natural and artificial flavors (plus juniper) to neutral spirits. It's the cheapest way to mass produce gin. The thing is, it's basically flavored vodka.

That's what Val's Botanical gin is according to this pretty big call out article by Gin Foundry:

https://www.ginfoundry.com/gin/uncle-va ... nical-gin/

It's corn liquor compounded with with some botanicals, then filtered and bottled. There appears to be some dispute about whether this is actually re-distilled after it is compounded with the botanicals.

I didn't know any of that when I was drinking it and my takeaway was that it was brutally heavy handed on the citrus peel. Bitter and overbearing citrus peel with some sage and juniper. Too much of a bad thing. The "gin" lacked balance. I would avoid this.
Actually Uncle Val's makes a really good bloody Mary. The heavy handed cucumber and vegetal characteristics really perk it up.

Milton Hudson

#358 Post by Milton Hudson » December 17th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 8:22 am
Just got some genever from amsterdam. Curious how it is in drinks
I really like it. I have to ration it a bit as i have to drive to New Orleans to get more.

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#359 Post by adam landa » December 17th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Tyler F. wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 5:59 pm
The Bontanist is probably one of the most balanced gins I've had. It's sufficiently complex and there's not any single descriptor/element that dominates more than the next. I think that is the appeal for most people.
I was in charge of buying booze for firm holiday party and went with The Botanist for gin...well received. I typically go with Hendricks or Bombay Sapphire...your description as balanced is spot on.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#360 Post by K John Joseph » December 18th, 2019, 7:41 am

Cotswold's Gin - Really pretty aromatic with distinct lavendar florals and grapefruit peel. Fairly heavy citrus notes go well with the florals, with just a hint of spice. Nice and complex. Probably better in a gin and tonic or gin cocktail than a martini. Might go with a blood orange or grapefruit slice over a lime here.

Drumshanbo Gunpowder Irish Gin - I really want to like this, but am struggling. Gin and tonic, fever tree tonic, lime wedge. Lime is dominating the gin and I can't help but think this would be much better with a small sprig of rosemary and a lemon twist. Will try that this weekend. The gin has bright citrus notes, some warm spice, maybe cardamom, and then an herbaceous note on the back end that is fairly distinct and overrides a firm juniper element. I'm assuming that's the tea. It's fairly distinct, I just don't really love that flavor. I'll try it with lemon and rosemary and see of that's a better fit.
Last edited by K John Joseph on January 17th, 2020, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#361 Post by K John Joseph » December 19th, 2019, 6:48 am

Made myself a Gin Mare martini last night and have to reiterate that Gin Mare is really excellent, complex, balanced, and incredibly smooth gin. Had Highclere Castle Gin in a martini last Friday at dinner out. Had a Botanist martini before. I thought the Botanist was better than the Highclere Castle, but that the Highclere Castle was not too bad. Juniper driven dry gin with good piney notes, citrus, and underlying florals. It's a gin gin. Perhaps not quite as refined and balanced as the Botanist, but a more classically juniper driven gin and good nonetheless.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Sarah Kirschbaum

#362 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 19th, 2019, 11:55 am

K John Joseph wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 6:48 am
Made myself a Gin Mare martini last night and have to reiterate that Gin Mare is really excellent, complex, balanced, and incredibly smooth gin. Had Highclere Castle Gin in a martini last Friday at dinner out. Had a Botanist martini before. I thought the Botanist was better than the Highclere Castle, but that the Highclere Castle was not too bad. Juniper driven dry gin with good piney notes, citrus, and underlying florals. It's a gin gin. Perhaps not quite as refined and balanced as the Botanist, but a more classically juniper driven gin and good nonetheless.
I like Gin Mare, it's a go to when in Spain. Agreed it's very friendly and easy to like, though not boring like I find the Botanist to be. I know a lot of people like The Botanist a lot, but to me it has no personality. It's a great suggestion as an intro gin, though.

We were discussing gins at home the other day, after surveying a small collection of about 25 - 30 different bottles we've accumulated on various trips. Jonathan asked what my choices would be if we had to limit to 3 for the 3 broad categories - a G&T gin, a martini gin, and a sipping gin. My answer was Martin Millers Westbourne, Blue Gin and Monkey 47 respectively. With the caveat that I might like to replace the Martin Millers with Roku on the hottest days of summer when I want something lighter and more citrusy.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#363 Post by Anton D » December 19th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 11:55 am
K John Joseph wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 6:48 am
I like Gin Mare, it's a go to when in Spain. Agreed it's very friendly and easy to like, though not boring like I find the Botanist to be. I know a lot of people like The Botanist a lot, but to me it has no personality. It's a great suggestion as an intro gin, though.

We were discussing gins at home the other day, after surveying a small collection of about 25 - 30 different bottles we've accumulated on various trips. Jonathan asked what my choices would be if we had to limit to 3 for the 3 broad categories - a G&T gin, a martini gin, and a sipping gin. My answer was Martin Millers Westbourne, Blue Gin and Monkey 47 respectively. With the caveat that I might like to replace the Martin Millers with Roku on the hottest days of summer when I want something lighter and more citrusy.
That's awesome.

I would go with Roku, Junipero, and Monkey 47....and I might flip positions on the Junipero and Roku. [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#364 Post by K John Joseph » December 19th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
I'm unfamiliar with Blue Gin, but almost always have MM Westbourne and Monkey 47 in my cabinet (and currently do).

I just did an inventory and am sitting at 15 bottles of gin right now, and I think only 1 of those I really dislike, and 2 I don't really like that much but have their place. The rest are all a treat, which leads me to end up with a bunch of bottles with like 4-5 ounces left.

And, as we're about as far as possible from sweltering days, it's time I reach to the back of the cabinet to pull out my Edinburgh Gin Co. Christmas Gin, distilled with Frankincense and Myrrh.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Sarah Kirschbaum

#365 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 19th, 2019, 2:04 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 1:29 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
I'm unfamiliar with Blue Gin, but almost always have MM Westbourne and Monkey 47 in my cabinet (and currently do).

Blue Gin is from Austria, made by a genius distiller named Hans Reisetbauer. He also makes what is, in my opinion, the greatest eau de vie on the planet.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#366 Post by K John Joseph » December 19th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 2:04 pm
K John Joseph wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

Blue Gin is from Austria, made by a genius distiller named Hans Reisetbauer. He also makes what is, in my opinion, the greatest eau de vie on the planet.
I'll keep an eye out and snag a bottle if I see it. Thanks for the reco.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#367 Post by K John Joseph » December 20th, 2019, 7:34 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 1:04 pm
I'm with you on most of the above, but we tried the Xoriguer Mahon over the weekend on a friend's recommendation and we both found it pretty objectionable due to the heavy pine scent. Our G&T's went down the drain and the almost full bottle to the back of the liquor cabinet. Different strokes, of course, but warning to those who don't like pine notes in your gin.
Revisited this last night with a Xoriguer Mahon G&T with a lime wedge and Fever Tree. Bought a bottle last weekend after previously having this gin probably a year or so ago at a great cocktail joint in Deep Ellum in Dallas.

I've changed my mind on Mahon, and agree that the pine resin note is way too strong and dominates the gin. It is certainly aromatic, but it is nearly one note with an oily pine resin note that overrides everything else. It is the anti-Monkey 47 in which you smell something new every time. This is piney, and that note is so dominant it is hard to parse out other notes. Having this on a fresh palate, as opposed to later in a night out, has changed my mind on this gin and I retract my recommendation for this bottle. It will slide deeper in the cabinet.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#368 Post by Anton D » December 20th, 2019, 12:28 pm

The Monkey 47 2019 "Distiller's Cut" and a new "Barrel Cut" have just hit the market and usually disappear quickly.

It's on Wine Searcher, or you local favorite seller may have it.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#369 Post by Kirk.Grant » December 21st, 2019, 11:56 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 2:04 pm
K John Joseph wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

Sarah,

If you have not tried Bartlett's Pear eau de vie from Gouldsboro, ME it's worth a boarder crossing to snag a bottle to try. I think it's $32-35/bottle. Again, so long as you like the smell and flavor of pears.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Sarah Kirschbaum

#370 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 21st, 2019, 12:30 pm

Kirk.Grant wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 11:56 am

Sarah,

If you have not tried Bartlett's Pear eau de vie from Gouldsboro, ME it's worth a boarder crossing to snag a bottle to try. I think it's $32-35/bottle. Again, so long as you like the smell and flavor of pears.
Thanks Kirk. I'll keep it in mind for sure. Of course, given the ratio of the number of bottles I already have to how often we drink eau de vie, I need another like a hole in the head! Need is a funny word, though..... :)

Andrew Coll

#371 Post by Andrew Coll » January 1st, 2020, 11:15 am

Kris Patten wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 3:58 pm
If you haven't tried it Drumshanbo Gunpowder Gin is worth a shot.
+1 This is my favorite gin, especially with Fever Tree Tonic.

Another great Irish gin to try is Dingle but that's harder to come by.
Andrew Collins

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#372 Post by K John Joseph » January 7th, 2020, 11:19 am

K John Joseph wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 7:41 am
Cotswold's Gin - Really pretty aromatic with distinct lavendar florals and grapefruit peel. Fairly heavy citrus notes go well with the florals, with just a hint of spice. Nice and complex. Probably better in a gin and tonic or gin cocktail than a martini. Might go with a blood orange or grapefruit slice over an orange here.
In a gin and tonic, I think this is complex, but not really my preferred profile. Heavy on the white part of a citrus peel, florals, coriander, and some spice. I think the meaty citrus peel is just a hair too dominant. This is a solid gin, but I probably won't buy this again.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#373 Post by K John Joseph » January 13th, 2020, 9:41 am

The Gin Foundry - Europa Punchy profile with juniper, coriander, and fennel, and an aggressive citrus and bitter peel note on the back end. The best way to describe this gin is "too much of a good thing." It's like the distiller was determined that the consumer would be able to identify, on its own, each of the botanicals used in the distillation by simply using a massive amount of each during the distillation process. The result is that you can taste the juniper and the fennel and the coriander and the bitter almond and the citrust and the...well, you get the idea. But while something like Gin Mare, Monkey 47, Botanist, or Sipsmith is smooth and layered, this is not. There is no favorable "sum of all parts". This gin is like someone playing a scale as opposed to taking the notes from a scale and working them into a real piece of music.

I cannot recommend this gin. G&T, Fever Tree classic, slice of lime.

I am a big fan of Ginfoundry.com. I think it is an absolutely wonderful resource for reviews, information about gin distillation, and characteristics of various botanicals often used when making gin. Ginfoundry's articles are interesting and their reviews fairly in depth and mostly reliable. I cannot find any information that suggests The Gin Foundry (the distillery) and Ginfoundry.com are related. What I can say is that the only reason I bought The Gin Foundry - Europa is because I wrongly assumed the founders of Ginfoundry.com had a go at making their own gin. I was quite excited about that, and a bit shocked to learn that there was no such connection. Honestly what made me look into it was my expectation that ginfoundry.com would put out a much better gin. The lack of quality sparked my investigation, and I doubt ginfoundry.com would appreciate the association of their brand with The Gin Foundry's bottling. There may well be grounds for a Lanham Act claim by ginfoundry.com against The Gin Foundry.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#374 Post by K John Joseph » January 16th, 2020, 12:22 pm

Martin Miller's Westbourne Strength - Gin and Tonic, Fever Tree Classic, lime slice: After my first G&T with this I was not so sure. After the first bottle I was dead certain this is really delicious change of pace contemporary gin. Really fun floral nose with lychee and what almost smells like watermelon, followed by a big floral note with pink peppercorns and a hint of juniper. Fun stuff. Strong, but really, really silky smooth.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Sarah Kirschbaum

#375 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » January 16th, 2020, 1:29 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 12:22 pm
Martin Miller's Westbourne Strength - Gin and Tonic, Fever Tree Classic, lime slice: After my first G&T with this I was not so sure. After the first bottle I was dead certain this is really delicious change of pace contemporary gin. Really fun floral nose with lychee and what almost smells like watermelon, followed by a big floral note with pink peppercorns and a hint of juniper. Fun stuff. Strong, but really, really silky smooth.
We love this gin, it is our go-to for G&T's, and we buy it by the case. My husband far prefers high test. I enjoy the punch as well, but have to watch over consumption levels as it's so easy to guzzle. If we could only buy one gin for a G&T, this would be it.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#376 Post by Richard T r i m p i » January 17th, 2020, 7:12 am

The Gin expertise here is way over my head. I only drink Martinis. Maybe 3x to 4x per year but usually 2 - 3 glasses in an evening. Formed the habit 15+ years ago as a family gathering tradition.

Seems like Gin options and quality have exploded. Some of the misc. aroma/flavor aspects sound quite complex.

What I'm wondering is, how all that complexity plays out in a Martini? Hendricks is my usual Gin...good quality, interesting, fairly straightforward (from the descriptions here). The Dry Vermouth adds a layer of interest (more than just waving the cap). I've always had olives...and of course that adds a different component, especially when a relative likes theirs "dirty". Also makes me wonder how to select the best olives?

Does a complicated Gin add dimension in a Martini? When is it too much?

RT

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#377 Post by K John Joseph » January 17th, 2020, 7:42 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 7:12 am
The Gin expertise here is way over my head. I only drink Martinis. Maybe 3x to 4x per year but usually 2 - 3 glasses in an evening. Formed the habit 15+ years ago as a family gathering tradition.

Seems like Gin options and quality have exploded. Some of the misc. aroma/flavor aspects sound quite complex.

What I'm wondering is, how all that complexity plays out in a Martini? Hendricks is my usual Gin...good quality, interesting, fairly straightforward (from the descriptions here). The Dry Vermouth adds a layer of interest (more than just waving the cap). I've always had olives...and of course that adds a different component, especially when a relative likes theirs "dirty". Also makes me wonder how to select the best olives?

Does a complicated Gin add dimension in a Martini? When is it too much?

RT
I think this is actually a really interesting question, Richard. I tend to use London Dry gins in martinis, but will occasionally use a contemporary gin in which juniper is not a leading factor. I do favor certain gins for G&T and others for martinis. For example, I like the Martin Miller Westbourne and Hendrick's Orbium for G&Ts, but don't use either those for martinis (well, I've used Orbium, but prefer it in G&T). I like my martini with less of a big floral or distinct citrus note (other than a lemon twist), so a more balanced, juniper accented london dry is my personal preference. Berry Bros No. 3, Botanist, Sipsmith London Dry, Old Raj. That vein. More pop for a G&T for me, with Roku, Orbium, Drumshanbo, MM Westbourne, Empress, and any number of others. That said, I like most of those first ones in a G&T too.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Dave McCloskey

#378 Post by Dave McCloskey » January 24th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Last year when I was in the UK, Gin was all the rage. I was at Cardiff stadium in Wales and they had Gin bars setup throughout the stadium. Really? Everywhere I went the Gin cocktails were incredible and inventive.

I recently got turned on to Monkey 47 Gin. I believe Wine Spectator rated it the best Gin in the world. I think it's incredible. It's like a fine wine, incredibly complex, balanced and makes the greatest Martini of all time.

LMD Ermitaño

#379 Post by LMD Ermitaño » February 6th, 2020, 7:36 am

I remember trying this JCB gin (around a year ago) at my neighbourhood pintxos bar (ie., Bar Pintxos), one of the owners mentioned that he got a bottle for the bar out of curiosity over the hype. I ordered a glass then, and, didn’t think much of it - pleasant; but nothing really distinctive.
3C50ED8A-6F4B-46F8-AD46-1670C4D1EF9E.jpeg
Much more recently, I noticed it still unfinished on one of the bar’s shelves. Since I was likely already pretty tipsy when I first tried it, I gave it another shot. Same result. Pleasant enough, I guess; but nothing convinces me to order it over my usual Botanist, Sipsmith, London No.3, much less over my more favoured Copperhead or Monkey 47. It’s all hype in my book.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#380 Post by K John Joseph » February 6th, 2020, 3:04 pm

One of our local fine wine shops also has a badass spirits director. I stopped by to pick up some wine and took a gander at their gin selection. Easily the best I've seen in Dallas, and by a mile. I picked up:

Bareksten Gin
Bobby's Schiedam Dry Gin
Monkey 47 Distiller's Cut
Ki No Beh
Silent Pool

I had Gin Foundry ship their 2019 year in review, which is a really nice publication with great articles, write ups, reviews, interviews, and pictures. I'd seen GF's commentary about Bobby's Bareksten and Silent Pool and was happily surprised to see them at the store. I'll post notes as I consume them.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#381 Post by Craig G » February 6th, 2020, 6:37 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 3:04 pm
I'll post notes as I consume them.
In one sitting?

[popcorn.gif]
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#382 Post by K John Joseph » February 7th, 2020, 2:15 pm

Silent Pool Gin - Surrey, England. This gin has something like 24 botanicals, layered in during the distillation process. It is a hair sweet, and has a decidedly floral entry, but has nice underlying citrus notes, a bit of spice, and a touch of coriander. Only just a touch reminiscent of chamomile tea with honey, but then you get a pop of lime leaf and citrus. I seemed to taste a little something different with each sip. Very smooth, well layered, and lovely. Pretty good stuff. This goes to my recommended list.

As an aside, I am not one to buy for bottle beauty, but this is really lovely. Pale blue glass with a coppery gold leaf design of the 24 botanicals and more around the bottle. It is very pretty.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#383 Post by K John Joseph » February 7th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Also, the liquor store forgot to pack in my bottle of Bareksten. I noticed when I got home after work. Called today and they'd set it aside and apologized. Since I had to go back, may as well pick up something else...

Grabbed a:

Glendalough Distillery Wild Botanical Gin; and a
Edinburgh Gin Classic Gin

Anyone try Harahorn?
J0hn-J-K4ne

Sarah Kirschbaum

#384 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » February 7th, 2020, 3:36 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 2:15 pm
Silent Pool Gin - Surrey, England. This gin has something like 24 botanicals, layered in during the distillation process. It is a hair sweet, and has a decidedly floral entry, but has nice underlying citrus notes, a bit of spice, and a touch of coriander. Only just a touch reminiscent of chamomile tea with honey, but then you get a pop of lime leaf and citrus. I seemed to taste a little something different with each sip. Very smooth, well layered, and lovely. Pretty good stuff. This goes to my recommended list.

As an aside, I am not one to buy for bottle beauty, but this is really lovely. Pale blue glass with a coppery gold leaf design of the 24 botanicals and more around the bottle. It is very pretty.
I like this gin a lot. It was new to me when I tried it in Edinburgh this past fall, and I liked it enough to bring a bottle home. I like a grapefruit slice and thyme spring as garnish.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#385 Post by K John Joseph » February 10th, 2020, 7:11 am

Bobby's Schiedam Dry Gin A gin with Indonesian flair that's been getting rave reviews and quite a bit of press. This gin is decidedly in your face, with massive lemongrass, cardamom, anise seed, and spice and floral notes. Spicy like a bazaar. The far-east flavors are really strong. This is complex and layered and very smooth, but I think this is a bit too much of a good thing. There is little subtlety here, despite it's complexity. I could see this being hell on wheels in a cocktail, but to me, it is a lot for a gin and tonic, and something I would probably never use as a martini base. I can't say I disliked it, but it is a once-in-a-while gin for me. A novelty, almost, given the intensity and strangeness of flavors compared to what I'd typically like in a gin and tonic. Very intense.

Bareksten Dry Gin This Norwegian gin, made by Stig Bareksten, is made with 26 botanicals, largely sourced around Bareksten's locale in Norway. It is grassy, complex, and has a solid juniper backbone layered with herbal tea, coriander, and what tastes to me almost like a faint hint of fennel seed. Citrus notes creep in, backed by a warm spicy finish. A good, complex gin. Nice in a gin and tonic and well layered. I'd recommend this. To be honest it reminds me a bit of a not as good Monkey 47.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#386 Post by K John Joseph » February 11th, 2020, 9:15 am

Ki No Bi Kyoto Dry Gin - The nose on this smacks of sake, but is layered with clean citrus notes, juniper, and an herbal earthy base, livened up on the back with a bit of fresh ginger spice. I was a bit hesitant after getting the sake whiff, but it is nice and clean in a gin and tonic. Silky smooth with well integrated flavors. This is a much more subtle but layered gin, compared to the Bareksten and Bobby's which are perhaps too in your face. Still, there is a good bit going on here and it pairs well with Indian tonic and a lime wedge. I'll go back to this for a second go, but after round one, I'm a bigger fan than I initially expected and think this is pretty solid stuff in a G&T. Downside is that it is a bit expensive. Upside is that expensive for gin is cheap for wine or scotch.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#387 Post by K John Joseph » February 11th, 2020, 9:25 am

Edinburgh Gin Classic Gin This is a nice, classic dry gin. Notes of juniper and pine flow into bright citrus, backed by a nice warm spicy finish. Hits all of the regular notes for a classic dry gin. Nice and smooth, not particularly sweet, well layered, moderately complex. This is not going to blow away every other gin, but it is a good dry gin that would do well in a gin and tonic with a slice of lime or in a martini. Not tricked up but not too boring either. It's gin. So there. It is better than Eden Mill, in my opinion, but probably not going to dethrone Caorunn or Botanist for my Scottish G&T go-to. But that's not an insult, as I am a big fan of both of those.
J0hn-J-K4ne

LMD Ermitaño

#388 Post by LMD Ermitaño » February 11th, 2020, 8:43 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 9:15 am
Ki No Bi Kyoto Dry Gin - The nose on this smacks of sake, but is layered with clean citrus notes, juniper, and an herbal earthy base, livened up on the back with a bit of fresh ginger spice. I was a bit hesitant after getting the sake whiff, but it is nice and clean in a gin and tonic. Silky smooth with well integrated flavors. This is a much more subtle but layered gin, compared to the Bareksten and Bobby's which are perhaps too in your face. Still, there is a good bit going on here and it pairs well with Indian tonic and a lime wedge. I'll go back to this for a second go, but after round one, I'm a bigger fan than I initially expected and think this is pretty solid stuff in a G&T. Downside is that it is a bit expensive. Upside is that expensive for gin is cheap for wine or scotch.
I remember this gin - a bottle of it (among others) was opened by one of my neighbourhood pintxos bar for us regulars to try out. I recall only that it was more decent than I expected; and, that, a few days later, one of the regulars at that tasting session asked: “What was that Japanese gin we tried again? The Obi-wan?”

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#389 Post by K John Joseph » February 12th, 2020, 12:34 pm

LMD Ermitaño wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 8:43 pm
K John Joseph wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 9:15 am
I remember this gin - a bottle of it (among others) was opened by one of my neighbourhood pintxos bar for us regulars to try out. I recall only that it was more decent than I expected; and, that, a few days later, one of the regulars at that tasting session asked: “What was that Japanese gin we tried again? The Obi-wan?”
Had an "Obi Wan" G&T last night after reading this and chuckling. The yuzu note gives it a nice pop of citrus. Note consistent with my first take above. This is such a clean, crisp, and really solid gin for a summertime gin and tonic. Or a rainy 40 degree night during a Dallas winter. Like Roku, but maybe a bit more complex.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#390 Post by K John Joseph » February 14th, 2020, 10:08 am

Glendalough Distillery Wild Botanical Gin - A nice, layered, fairly complex gin with no too-loud notes shouting over the others. Smooth, with just a hint at sweetness, this shows nice soft floral notes that remind me of the faint scent of roses, backed by fruit, citrus, and a hint of licorice on the finish. A nice flowing gin. Holds up well in a G&T.

This distillery is in Glenadlough, Ireland, where my parents have spent some time. When I told my mom I'd picked up this gin she immediately raved about the beauty of the area, nestled in a river valley near a large forested portion of Ireland south of Dublin. My experiences in Ireland have been central, west coast, and southwest coast, which are all beautiful. I'll make it a point to hit Glendalough next time through, as it is fairly close to Dublin which is on my short-time travel list.

As usual now with these notes, I try a small pour on its own, then make a G&T with Fever Tree Indian Tonic and a small lime wedge.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#391 Post by K John Joseph » February 17th, 2020, 7:49 am

K John Joseph wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 9:25 am
Edinburgh Gin Classic Gin This is a nice, classic dry gin. Notes of juniper and pine flow into bright citrus, backed by a nice warm spicy finish. Hits all of the regular notes for a classic dry gin. Nice and smooth, not particularly sweet, well layered, moderately complex. This is not going to blow away every other gin, but it is a good dry gin that would do well in a gin and tonic with a slice of lime or in a martini. Not tricked up but not too boring either. It's gin. So there. It is better than Eden Mill, in my opinion, but probably not going to dethrone Caorunn or Botanist for my Scottish G&T go-to. But that's not an insult, as I am a big fan of both of those.
Sat around on Saturday evening with another one of these and couldn't help but really like it. I drink many gins that are really heavy on botanicals, some like Monkey 47 are excellent, others like The Gin Foundry Europa are not, and others like Bobby's and Bareksten and some of the Hendrick's Curiosities are somewhere on the spectrum of good to great but weird. The EG Classic is just a really nice classic London Dry style, but with enough complexity to keep things interesting from start to finish. I think this may have a spot as a regular for G&T season (and it was nearly 80 degrees on Sunday!).
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#392 Post by K John Joseph » February 20th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Koval Dry Gin -- From a distillery in Chicago I've been wanting to try. Had this at The Mitchell in Dallas, served with a tonic I did not catch and a lemon wedge. The notes coming off the gin are really nice, with warm spice, citrus, and a hint of floral sweetness. I picked up rose, pepper, lemon, cassia, soft juniper notes. Little sweeter than I really prefer, but not knowing the tonic, I cannot attribute that with any certainty to the gin. Pretty nice and balanced, with good complexity. I'll try this again. Worth a look.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#393 Post by K John Joseph » February 20th, 2020, 3:02 pm

So, uh, anyone else like gin?
J0hn-J-K4ne

Return to “Beer and Spirits”