Your Gin?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Message
Author
User avatar
A S K R O B A C K
Posts: 2523
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 9:44 am
Location: NYC

Your Gin?

#201 Post by A S K R O B A C K » March 25th, 2017, 10:25 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: while Old Raj, particularly the higher proof, is quite opinionated. I very much like the saffron aspect of Old Raj
http://www.drinkhacker.com/2009/05/30/r ... -92-proof/
Just found this thread. I agree with Sarah on Old Raj. Wilfred turned me onto it and it is quite distinctive and compelling in a martini.
d r e w s k r o b a c k

User avatar
A S K R O B A C K
Posts: 2523
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 9:44 am
Location: NYC

Re: Your Gin?

#202 Post by A S K R O B A C K » March 25th, 2017, 10:33 am

Robert M yers wrote:Im a fan of Hendricks for sure when you want that style, I think it in a class by itself.
It certainly is. It is well made and I recognize why some people like it. However, you have to love cucumber to love Hendricks. I don't, so I dislike it.
d r e w s k r o b a c k

User avatar
Mark Christenson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 527
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 10:59 am
Location: San Diego

Your Gin?

#203 Post by Mark Christenson » March 27th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Funny enough, I hated gin up until a winemaker turned me on to Monkey 47 a few years ago :-)

I love Monkey 47 for G&Ts, combined with Fever Tree (either the Mediterranean or the Elderflower variants) and lime. There's a place in Maastricht that serves theirs with licorice, star anise, juniper berries, and orange peel--it's quite good, but definitely stretching the bounds for somebody who is a "classic" G&T drinker.

I typically use Sipsmith (regular one) for Negronis, but I also like their VJOP, but it's a bit harder to source so I use it more sparingly.

I've tried Aviation, Ballast Point's Old Grove, 209, Hendricks, Tanq Malacca, and Martin Miller's, and like them all to varying degrees, but I keep going back to Monkey 47 (for a super new-style version) and the Sipsmiths (for more traditional London Dry versions) as our house gins.
"...the thrall of reason, fool's gold for the bright."

User avatar
TR Barry
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 235
Joined: September 15th, 2010, 9:09 am
Location: Seattle

Your Gin?

#204 Post by TR Barry » March 30th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Around our house many of the previously listed options are favorites. Others that are in regular rotation that I have not seen posted would be:

-Dingle Gin out of the Dingle peninsula in Ireland

-Aria Gin from Portland for everyday G'n'T use

-Gun Club and Hedgetrimmer from Sun Liquor in Seattle. Hedgetrimmer being built as a London Dry Style and Gun Club a Navy Strength I love both of these on their own or as a part of cocktails. Probably my most purchased gin. If you're ever in the Seattle area I recommend visiting the distillery or the sister bar both located in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.
Todd- Lost In The White Room

Sean Devaney
Posts: 3237
Joined: June 25th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Your Gin?

#205 Post by Sean Devaney » April 1st, 2017, 8:36 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: The Nordes is good for sipping and for a favorite variation on the G&T made with Albarino.
Oh this sounds so interesting. Care to share your recipe?

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2387
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Your Gin?

#206 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » April 1st, 2017, 3:01 pm

Hi Sean - not much of a recipe, really. It's just roughly equal parts Nordes Gin, a decent but not too expensive albarino, and Fever Tree or other good tonic. Garnish with a bay leaf, fresh if possible. I am sure it would still be a good drink with other gins, but the Nordes is what makes this special.

The drink was invented, at least according to them, by Abastos2.0, which is a delightful restaurant in the Santiago de Compostela market in Galicia, Spain.

Sean Devaney
Posts: 3237
Joined: June 25th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Your Gin?

#207 Post by Sean Devaney » April 1st, 2017, 11:50 pm

Thanks Sarah-will definitely give it a try [cheers.gif]

(Can we get the above gif with a martini glass?)

Chris S p i k e s
Posts: 2752
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Your Gin?

#208 Post by Chris S p i k e s » April 3rd, 2017, 2:28 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Do try the Blue, Chris. It's special. Made by an Austrian guy, Hans Reisetbauer, who also makes some of the best eau de vie in the world. He's crazy and delightful, and an absolute master.
Sarah, I finally grabbed a bottle of Blue and tried it as a G&T. Unfortunately, it really didn't appeal to me in any special way. It's been a long time since I've made a martini, but perhaps I would like that better.

I chalk this up to different preferences and I'm glad I tried it. It surprised me because our tastes seem to overlap a lot and I expected to love it, but palate's are a funny thing. Thanks for the rec and please keep them coming!

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2387
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Your Gin?

#209 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » April 5th, 2017, 7:10 am

Sorry you didn't particularly like it Chris. I have never put it in a G&T, by the way. It's strictly a martini gin for me.

CholakisCN
Posts: 243
Joined: May 13th, 2009, 11:17 am
Location: Slingerlands, NY

Your Gin?

#210 Post by CholakisCN » April 17th, 2017, 8:57 am

Chris S p i k e s wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Do try the Blue, Chris. It's special. Made by an Austrian guy, Hans Reisetbauer, who also makes some of the best eau de vie in the world. He's crazy and delightful, and an absolute master.
Sarah, I finally grabbed a bottle of Blue and tried it as a G&T. Unfortunately, it really didn't appeal to me in any special way. It's been a long time since I've made a martini, but perhaps I would like that better.

I chalk this up to different preferences and I'm glad I tried it. It surprised me because our tastes seem to overlap a lot and I expected to love it, but palate's are a funny thing. Thanks for the rec and please keep them coming!
I gave this a whirl too Sarah.. I can honestly say, I like my Hendrick's more so but the Blue isn't to shabby. Thanks for all the reccomendations.
Cheers,
Chris

User avatar
Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 547
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:19 am
Location: Southeast US

Your Gin?

#211 Post by Leonard Taylor » May 7th, 2017, 11:03 am

TR Barry wrote:Around our house many of the previously listed options are favorites. Others that are in regular rotation that I have not seen posted would be:

-Dingle Gin out of the Dingle peninsula in Ireland
Just returned from a two week trip to Ireland and visited Dingle Distillery. Their gin is the absolute best I ever tasted. Brought a bottle home.
Leonard Taylor

User avatar
John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 876
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Portland OR

Your Gin?

#212 Post by John Osburn » May 8th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Finally tried some Old Raj (the higher strength version) and loved it. Even my wife, a dedicated Beefeater fan, loved it.

Thanks, Sarah!

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38429
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Your Gin?

#213 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 8th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Just received notice from the local Bev-Mo that they have Hayman's Old Tom in stock again...guess I need to get some and have a try!
I've been drinking a lot of gin lately, and always Old Tom - love this stuff for cocktails
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

stewart lancaster
Posts: 226
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 7:46 am

Your Gin?

#214 Post by stewart lancaster » May 23rd, 2017, 9:49 am

For G&T's, I use Barr Hill gin from Vermont. It has honey added. Very tasty

dkwinter
Posts: 36
Joined: June 20th, 2017, 7:31 am

Your Gin?

#215 Post by dkwinter » June 22nd, 2017, 12:23 pm

Lately big on Gin Mare!
Spanish with rosemary, thyme, olive, and basil notes.

Great in Negroni's
davidkwinter

Andrew M c C a b e
Posts: 89
Joined: June 20th, 2017, 5:52 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Your Gin?

#216 Post by Andrew M c C a b e » June 22nd, 2017, 12:30 pm

Crater lake gin. Very simple juniper forward from oregon.

I also just tried the Napa distillery Gin which is very interesting. They sell it with some tonic syrup and bitters as well to make G&T's. It makes a very interesting G&T. They have a little retail shop in Oxbow Public Market.
Andrew M.

User avatar
Bill Buitenhuys
Posts: 104
Joined: March 15th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Location: Phoenix metro

Your Gin?

#217 Post by Bill Buitenhuys » June 23rd, 2017, 11:40 am

Andrew M c C a b e wrote:Crater lake gin. Very simple juniper forward from oregon.

I also just tried the Napa distillery Gin which is very interesting. They sell it with some tonic syrup and bitters as well to make G&T's. It makes a very interesting G&T. They have a little retail shop in Oxbow Public Market.
Napa Distillery's bitter tasting bar has most likely the largest selection on the west coast.
itb | @AZBittersLab

Andrew M c C a b e
Posts: 89
Joined: June 20th, 2017, 5:52 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Your Gin?

#218 Post by Andrew M c C a b e » June 25th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
Andrew M c C a b e wrote:Crater lake gin. Very simple juniper forward from oregon.

I also just tried the Napa distillery Gin which is very interesting. They sell it with some tonic syrup and bitters as well to make G&T's. It makes a very interesting G&T. They have a little retail shop in Oxbow Public Market.
Napa Distillery's bitter tasting bar has most likely the largest selection on the west coast.
Yep they told me that. I tried a bunch and got some Negroni Bitters from Mister Bitters out of Austrailia. I did see a bunch of AZ Bitters Lab stuff there too! Very familiar with that from the local cocktail bars in Phoenix. I used to get it at Wedge and Bottle in Ahwatukee. Where is the best retail spot now?
Andrew M.

User avatar
Bill Buitenhuys
Posts: 104
Joined: March 15th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Location: Phoenix metro

Your Gin?

#219 Post by Bill Buitenhuys » June 26th, 2017, 7:44 am

Andrew M c C a b e wrote: I also just tried the Napa distillery Gin which is very interesting. They sell it with some tonic syrup and bitters as well to make G&T's. It makes a very interesting G&T. They have a little retail shop in Oxbow Public Market. Napa Distillery's bitter tasting bar has most likely the largest selection on the west coast.

Yep they told me that. I tried a bunch and got some Negroni Bitters from Mister Bitters out of Austrailia. I did see a bunch of AZ Bitters Lab stuff there too! Very familiar with that from the local cocktail bars in Phoenix. I used to get it at Wedge and Bottle in Ahwatukee. Where is the best retail spot now?
Ohh, the Negroni bitters sound interesting! I definitely miss having Wedge and Bottle around.
All our retail partners are on our website but our full line is at Whole Foods Chandler, Arcadia Premium, Market by Jennifer's, Tracy Dempsey Originals shop (which is closed until 15July), Tops Liquors, I'm sure I'm missing someone! (And we ship anywhere in the US from our web store).
Last edited by Bill Buitenhuys on September 6th, 2017, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
itb | @AZBittersLab

User avatar
JulianD
Posts: 686
Joined: June 29th, 2016, 2:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Your Gin?

#220 Post by JulianD » July 15th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but Fords is my go-to
Davies

User avatar
TR Barry
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 235
Joined: September 15th, 2010, 9:09 am
Location: Seattle

Your Gin?

#221 Post by TR Barry » July 17th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Mark Christenson wrote:Funny enough, I hated gin up until a winemaker turned me on to Monkey 47 a few years ago :-)

Found some Monkey 47 at Rocco's in Seattle over the weekend and really enjoy the spectrum of flavor. Definitely adding to the list for the home bar and provides me another choice for nights out on the town.

-Todd
Todd- Lost In The White Room

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6953
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Your Gin?

#222 Post by K John Joseph » July 27th, 2017, 9:23 am

Leonard Taylor wrote:
TR Barry wrote:Around our house many of the previously listed options are favorites. Others that are in regular rotation that I have not seen posted would be:

-Dingle Gin out of the Dingle peninsula in Ireland
Just returned from a two week trip to Ireland and visited Dingle Distillery. Their gin is the absolute best I ever tasted. Brought a bottle home.
I'M SO EXCITED!!! I'm a big gin drinker and will be visiting in mid-August! I'll be able to ride a bike there!
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6953
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Your Gin?

#223 Post by K John Joseph » July 27th, 2017, 9:34 am

Man, I'm bummed I missed out on much of this thread. It gets so hot here in Dallas that I've actually managed to convert my dad to drinking gin and tonics. It took Monkey 47, but he's on it. Below are some I've enjoyed very much and some a touch less so, of late. You'll probably be able to tell that I'm a big fan of lively aromatics and loaded botanicals.

Go to:
Monkey 47
Berry Bros & Rudd No. 3 London Dry (perfect for a G&T)


Fun Gins:
Opihr - a very aromatic gin with expressive botanicals
Xoriguer Mahon - a lovely spanish gin
St. George's Botanivore
The Botanist 22 - my dad's go to. I enjoy it, but not as much as No. 3 from Berry Bros
Old Raj - like the kafir note, a good gin
Barr Hill - an interesting gin from Vermont...a little different for a change of pace

Martinis Only:
Nolets silver
Plymouth
(but I'd rather have No. 3 over these)
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
Bill Buitenhuys
Posts: 104
Joined: March 15th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Location: Phoenix metro

Your Gin?

#224 Post by Bill Buitenhuys » July 31st, 2017, 7:40 am

K John Joseph wrote:
Fun Gins:
Opihr - a very aromatic gin with expressive botanicals
Xoriguer Mahon - a lovely spanish gin
St. George's Botanivore
The Botanist 22 - my dad's go to. I enjoy it, but not as much as No. 3 from Berry Bros
Old Raj - like the kafir note, a good gin
Barr Hill - an interesting gin from Vermont...a little different for a change of pace
That Barr Hill gin in a Bees Knees using their (Caledonia Spirits) on-site farmed, raw honey is a pretty wonderful thing.
itb | @AZBittersLab

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 343
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 10:51 am

Your Gin?

#225 Post by fred o. » August 2nd, 2017, 9:25 am

I've enjoyed trying some of the various Four Pillars gins, they're from Australia. David Driscoll from K&L wrote about them recently, and I've been seeing them around in bars/restaurants as well some other stores in the LA area. I really liked the barrel-aged in a gin & tonic; has lightly rounded vanilla/oak flavors but still has a strong juniper note.
0k

User avatar
scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3675
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Your Gin?

#226 Post by scamhi » August 2nd, 2017, 3:12 pm

just opened a bottle of Sipsmith VJOP which stands for Very Junipery Over Proof with Fever tree Indian tonic. Nice drink for a wet, wet NYC day.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1400
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Your Gin?

#227 Post by Steve Gautier » August 2nd, 2017, 7:01 pm

scamhi wrote:just opened a bottle of Sipsmith VJOP which stands for Very Junipery Over Proof with Fever tree Indian tonic. Nice drink for a wet, wet NYC day.
Good friend of mine who live in London served this with the same tonic and a grapefruit slice. It was very enjoyable.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6953
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Your Gin?

#228 Post by K John Joseph » September 6th, 2017, 7:27 am

I'm back from a week long stint in Ireland and 4 days around Dingle town. During my time their I had quite a few Dingle Gins with Fever Tree Indian Tonic and limes. I was very excited to try Dingle Gin, but did not think that the gin lived up to expectations. It's a fine gin, but lacked the smoothness and layered complexity of top gins. I thought that while the flavor profile was very nice, it was a middling though interesting gin with fun floral, citrus, and bitter notes. A touch rough hewn. Still, a gin worth trying and a fun experience.
J0hn-J-K4ne

AdamLeigh
Posts: 55
Joined: January 28th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

Your Gin?

#229 Post by AdamLeigh » September 19th, 2017, 8:59 am

Wanted to add my votes for:

Monkey 47 and Reisetbauer Blue Gin for martinis. Tried both recently back to back and hard to pick a favorite. 3:1 with dolin dry vermouth and orange bitters.

G-vine Floraison for G&T, with an orange slice

Hayman's Old Tom in a martinez, and Bombay or Plymouth for mixing in anything else

Has anyone tried the Nikka Coffey Gin yet?

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4199
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Your Gin?

#230 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 24th, 2017, 7:35 am

Will be in Dublin in two weeks, so will have to pick up some Dingle. New one for me is Bareksten. Made in Norway and definitely worth looking out for. FWIW, I didn't see it in Oslo, but instead grabbed flying out of Copenhagen. Heavy-duty botanical that comes in a 1L bottle.
Attachments
IMG_1796.JPG
IMG_1796.JPG (25.81 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6953
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Your Gin?

#231 Post by K John Joseph » October 9th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Anyone had Eden Mill Gin from St. Andrews? I won a bottle of their "Love" gin in a raffle and it's rather interesting and quite well made.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Rich Salsano
Posts: 546
Joined: February 11th, 2011, 10:02 am

Your Gin?

#232 Post by Rich Salsano » October 15th, 2017, 5:40 am

Not really about a specific gin but after a recent trip to Montreal I have been really into a well made French 75. Anyone have any thoughts on their favorite gin and bubbles to use? I think the one I had in Montreal was made with Hendricks and a NV brut champagne.
Richard Salsano

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4056
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Your Gin?

#233 Post by Kris Patten » December 3rd, 2017, 8:33 am

Not a fan of most local spirits, but if you're in Seattle or Washington, Big Gin is doing some nice stuff from a traditional gin, to barrel aged to peated release.
ITB

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15652
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Your Gin?

#234 Post by David K o l i n » December 3rd, 2017, 11:35 am

I’ve been playing with Fords gin recently. London dry with a pronounced grapefruit note. Fords and Fever Tree is a fine G&T

Adam Z A K K A
Posts: 23
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 8:13 am

Your Gin?

#235 Post by Adam Z A K K A » December 6th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Fords Gin is great everyday drinking gin, if you are not into the premium of Hendricks or Monkey. I much prefer Fords to Bombay or similar mid-$20's 750ml bottles.

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15652
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Your Gin?

#236 Post by David K o l i n » December 6th, 2017, 6:00 pm

I’m drink Hendricks or Plymouth outside of the house. All sorts inside. Ford’s is priced similarly to Plymouth and Hendricks in our market.

Monkey seems to stay on the shelf at home. Too easy to blow through a 375

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1627
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Your Gin?

#237 Post by Larry Stein » December 17th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Don't know about other Costco's, but the Foster City CA store had Sipsmith for $19.97! When I walked in Friday morning at 10, there were 18 bottles. I picked up 8 for myself and 2 other folks.

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1400
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Your Gin?

#238 Post by Steve Gautier » December 17th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Larry Stein wrote:Don't know about other Costco's, but the Foster City CA store had Sipsmith for $19.97! When I walked in Friday morning at 10, there were 18 bottles. I picked up 8 for myself and 2 other folks.
Great price! Would love to know if the store in Delaware has it.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Adam Z A K K A
Posts: 23
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 8:13 am

Your Gin?

#239 Post by Adam Z A K K A » December 18th, 2017, 10:21 am

Y'all got to check our Bar Hill gin made with Vermont juniper and honey. It is great sipping gin. Would not mix, however. Similar to Monkey. Maybe just with soda.

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4199
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Your Gin?

#240 Post by Andrew Kotowski » January 28th, 2018, 4:02 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:Will be in Dublin in two weeks, so will have to pick up some Dingle. New one for me is Bareksten. Made in Norway and definitely worth looking out for. FWIW, I didn't see it in Oslo, but instead grabbed flying out of Copenhagen. Heavy-duty botanical that comes in a 1L bottle.
Rinse and repeat. Found myself at CPH again, picked up another bottle. If you’re roaming through duty-free in Europe, keep an eye out for it. Up there with Monkey 47 for me.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4199
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Your Gin?

#241 Post by Andrew Kotowski » February 2nd, 2018, 2:42 am

K John Joseph wrote:I'm back from a week long stint in Ireland and 4 days around Dingle town. During my time their I had quite a few Dingle Gins with Fever Tree Indian Tonic and limes. I was very excited to try Dingle Gin, but did not think that the gin lived up to expectations. It's a fine gin, but lacked the smoothness and layered complexity of top gins. I thought that while the flavor profile was very nice, it was a middling though interesting gin with fun floral, citrus, and bitter notes. A touch rough hewn. Still, a gin worth trying and a fun experience.
Agree 100%. Had a Dingle and Tonic in Dublin, brought a bottle home. It's good, but strikes me as a little flat compared to the Bareksten I've been drinking along side it or Monkey 47 (in general). Will save for Negronis, as I think it will fare better with Campari dominating vs having to hold its own when mixed with Fever.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4128
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Your Gin?

#242 Post by Paul Jaouen » February 2nd, 2018, 5:35 am

K John Joseph wrote:Man, I'm bummed I missed out on much of this thread. It gets so hot here in Dallas that I've actually managed to convert my dad to drinking gin and tonics. It took Monkey 47, but he's on it. Below are some I've enjoyed very much and some a touch less so, of late. You'll probably be able to tell that I'm a big fan of lively aromatics and loaded botanicals.

Go to:
Monkey 47
Berry Bros & Rudd No. 3 London Dry (perfect for a G&T)


Fun Gins:
Opihr - a very aromatic gin with expressive botanicals
Xoriguer Mahon - a lovely spanish gin
St. George's Botanivore
The Botanist 22 - my dad's go to. I enjoy it, but not as much as No. 3 from Berry Bros
Old Raj - like the kafir note, a good gin
Barr Hill - an interesting gin from Vermont...a little different for a change of pace

Martinis Only:
Nolets silver
Plymouth
(but I'd rather have No. 3 over these)
I'm with you on a lot of these although you like Monkey 47 better than me. No matter what I try though I always end up preferring and going back to No. 3 so I think I should just stick to that.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5338
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Your Gin?

#243 Post by Paul Miller » February 3rd, 2018, 10:32 am

Headed to Italy in a few weeks. Any recs for an Italian gin?

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4827
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Your Gin?

#244 Post by M.Kaplan » February 3rd, 2018, 4:01 pm

Paul Miller wrote:Headed to Italy in a few weeks. Any recs for an Italian gin?
Jerry Thomas Project gins are interesting. I tend to prefer Gin Madam over Gin Monsieur. Both are made in prohibition bathtub style.

If you go to Rome, check out the speakeasy at night.
https://www.thejerrythomasproject.it/en/
---Mark

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6953
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Your Gin?

#245 Post by K John Joseph » February 7th, 2018, 1:31 pm

I just bought and tried Caorunn this last weekend.

That's a nice gin. Nice botanical notes for a solid, complex gin that stands up nicely in a gin and tonic.
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7512
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Re: Your Gin?

#246 Post by Scott Butler » February 26th, 2018, 6:30 am

M.Kaplan wrote:Plymouth. Or if not available, Tanqueray (NOT Ten) or Boodles. I love old-school gin. Some of the new ones are like flavored vodka or rum, or 'wood finished' malt whisky. Don't like them, either.

Wish Plymouth Navy Strength was sold in the US.

I am just getting into Gin (love Hendricks), and I realize that your post is 8 years old, but my local store has Plymouth Navy Strength, pretty good stuff?
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2387
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Your Gin?

#247 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » February 27th, 2018, 2:48 pm

Scott Butler wrote:
M.Kaplan wrote:Plymouth. Or if not available, Tanqueray (NOT Ten) or Boodles. I love old-school gin. Some of the new ones are like flavored vodka or rum, or 'wood finished' malt whisky. Don't like them, either.

Wish Plymouth Navy Strength was sold in the US.

I am just getting into Gin (love Hendricks), and I realize that your post is 8 years old, but my local store has Plymouth Navy Strength, pretty good stuff?
Scott - the Plymouth Navy Strength is always in our cabinet. We like it a lot, having a preference for higher test in general. I think it makes a great G&T.

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7512
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Re: Your Gin?

#248 Post by Scott Butler » February 28th, 2018, 11:51 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Scott Butler wrote:
M.Kaplan wrote:Plymouth. Or if not available, Tanqueray (NOT Ten) or Boodles. I love old-school gin. Some of the new ones are like flavored vodka or rum, or 'wood finished' malt whisky. Don't like them, either.

Wish Plymouth Navy Strength was sold in the US.

I am just getting into Gin (love Hendricks), and I realize that your post is 8 years old, but my local store has Plymouth Navy Strength, pretty good stuff?
Scott - the Plymouth Navy Strength is always in our cabinet. We like it a lot, having a preference for higher test in general. I think it makes a great G&T.
Hi Sarah, what do you mean by "higher test" ?
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2387
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Your Gin?

#249 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » February 28th, 2018, 3:29 pm

Higher alcohol level.

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7512
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Your Gin?

#250 Post by Scott Butler » February 28th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Thanks
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Post Reply

Return to “Beer and Spirits”