Your Gin?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Frank Deis
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Your Gin?

#101 Post by Frank Deis » May 28th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Nola Palomar wrote:Tanqueray & Tonic with a nice wedge of lemon from the tree on the porch!
The weather turned hot here, and Louise said she'd like a G&T

I bought a 1.75 of Tanqueray, and 4 bottles of Schweppes tonic.

If only we had a lemon tree on the porch!! I've been mixing lemon and lime and liking it.

Tanqueray has always been a favorite of mine for G&T.

Bombay Sapphire is good for martinis...

I like good gin enough that I could drink it on the rocks. I am not sure this is a good thing.
ITB = "I Teach Biochemistry"

JimmyGillingham

#102 Post by JimmyGillingham » May 29th, 2012, 6:25 am

If you have not tried St. George, give it a try. I had it for the first time this weekend when the bartender at the Office in Chicago suggested it. Really great flavor. I liked that it was more complex than some gins I have had in the past. Super smooth. Could drink it straight.

Richard Leland
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Richard Leland » May 30th, 2012, 5:48 pm

I'm not a gin drinker but I do sell the stuff so I have to try everything that comes in the door. Last week I finally tried one that I'd be happy to drink: The Botanist Islay Dry Gin. Not only is it from Scotland, but it's from the island of Islay - home to Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, etc. Terrific stuff and incredibly complex.

[Full disclosure - I sell all those things]
Richard

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » May 30th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Scottish gin seems to be 'in' this year, I tried the Botanist at the Whiskey Live event here in NYC. There was also Caorunn Gin, which is really nice.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Rob MacKay

#105 Post by Rob MacKay » May 30th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:Scottish gin seems to be 'in' this year, I tried the Botanist at the Whiskey Live event here in NYC. There was also Caorunn Gin, which is really nice.
Hendricks. My overall favorite Gin, and also Scottish.
"For the human makers of things, the incompletenesses and inconsistencies of our ideas become clear only during implementation."

http://twitter.com/RoundersRob
http://facebook.com/RoundersRob

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Marshall Gelb » May 31st, 2012, 11:50 am

Veronica Castro wrote:
Michael Bowden wrote:Anybody had this? I'm not a gin fan....but this has to be the most $ gin on the market?

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1061164

Nolet's Reserve
there is a market for it... we sold a couple. i've been lucky enough to try the Nolet's Reserve. The same company as Ketel One makes it.

The label is a big, honking 14k gold-plated placard, making it one pimpdaddy bottle. It also has an Ace of Spades-looking box. The Reserve is made with saffron and verbena, which you taste. The distributor said a lot of saffron went into the batch (i forget the amounts). I thought it was very good.
In both Nolet's Silver and Reserve, (compared to other gins) the juniper element was barely noticeable. The Silver (which costs several $$$ less) was very floral with a lot of stone fruit. I liked the two just as much.

Cheers,
Have never tried, nor do I expect to try, the reserve.......However, the regular Nolet is wonderful and we keep a bottle on hand. Our other gins are Hendrick's and Tanqueray Sapphire.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Rick Gregory

#107 Post by Rick Gregory » May 31st, 2012, 12:05 pm

Right now I have on hand some Aviation and Bombay Sapphire. Probably need something else... maybe the Cascade.
Dang Rick, I think that's right on the money. - K. John Joseph

Jason Hagen

#108 Post by Jason Hagen » June 15th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Gave this a whirl. Nice stuff at a decent price.

Jason

Chad Richardson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by Chad Richardson » June 15th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Just picked up The Botanist. Drinking it now with Jack Ruby tonic (a syrup made by two brothers in Charleston that you use with club soda). Aroma of the gin is very juniper/evergreen, but I'm finding it less forward on those favors than I hoped.

Also picked up the 3 bottle sample pack (150s or 200s) of the 3 St George gins. Looking forward to a taste-off among those.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I only look like I'm listening.

Paul Romero

#110 Post by Paul Romero » June 15th, 2012, 1:51 pm

I've got three in the rotation right now

CapRock
Northshore #7, which I need a visitor from Chicago, this is my last bottle
Rouge
ITB-Stefania Wine

Chad Richardson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Chad Richardson » June 15th, 2012, 2:00 pm

Paul Romero wrote:I've got three in the rotation right now

CapRock
Northshore #7, which I need a visitor from Chicago, this is my last bottle
Rouge
Love the Rouge (green bottle; pink one kinda freaks me out)

Paul Romero

#112 Post by Paul Romero » June 15th, 2012, 3:55 pm

Green bottle is what we have. We actually have to buy them from a place in Kansas I think and have them shipped.
ITB-Stefania Wine

Phillip F r a n k s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Phillip F r a n k s » June 15th, 2012, 4:07 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:Gave this a whirl. Nice stuff at a decent price.

Jason
I'm a big fan.
"DUSTOFF"
It's always better in Magnum

Rob MacKay

#114 Post by Rob MacKay » August 29th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Picked up a bottle of Nolet's Silver to try today. In fact, I think I'm gonna go make a G&T and try it right now....

"For the human makers of things, the incompletenesses and inconsistencies of our ideas become clear only during implementation."

Rob MacKay

#115 Post by Rob MacKay » August 29th, 2012, 4:39 pm

FYI - this gin is cougar juice. The most fruity and floral gin that I've had. Not great for a G&T but it opens up a whole world of possibilities for some other cocktails.

Guillaume Deschamps
Contributor
Contributor

#116 Post by Guillaume Deschamps » August 31st, 2012, 3:57 am

Tried the Botanist recently, very "medicinal" in flavors, quite forward, very dry.

There seems to be a surge in the number of premium gins released right now. I could swear there's a new one popping up every week or so! A local bar here has a good range of them, and the owner brings in a new premium gin every week to try--she knows I'm a fan so I try with her sometimes (if I'm around at the right time) and we discuss how to best prepare a G&T with this specific gin (which tonic, which condiments... for example she uses the trick of putting a fresh raspberry in a G&T to counter the dryness of some gins).
ITB @roumegaire roumegaire.com

Rick Gregory

#117 Post by Rick Gregory » August 31st, 2012, 10:16 am

No idea how widely it's distributed but a local distillery does Voyager, a London Dry style. It has the classic juniper notes but some coriander and other things give it interesting notes that lift the nose. For people in the PNW at least, one to try esp at the modest price. More here: http://pacificdistillery.com/index2.htm#5

Russell Faulkner

#118 Post by Russell Faulkner » August 31st, 2012, 11:33 am

Must be my lousy palate, but I like my G+T quite strong, and I find it very hard to tell the difference between any of the Gins I buy (Heidricks, Tanquery export, whatever is on sale cheap duty free). I certainly can't in a Negroni (how I consume most Gin).

Rick Gregory

#119 Post by Rick Gregory » August 31st, 2012, 12:43 pm

Russell - I drink mine in martinis so the flavor of the gin is far more apparent.

Chad Richardson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#120 Post by Chad Richardson » August 31st, 2012, 1:27 pm

Just did a side by side of 3 St George gins. Rye (red elements on the label) by far has the highest juniper level on the nose, but also a strong alcohol note that also comes thru on the palate and IMHO detracts. Terroir (green) is probably the most balanced and closest to a traditional London Dry, very enjoyable. Botanivore (blue) was by far the lightest, with a slightly sweet edge. I'd drink any of these, tho I think the Rye might be an acquire taste.
After the comparison, the leftovers were all combined and topped off with a dollop of Corsair. I think the combo may be the best of all.

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by John Osburn » August 31st, 2012, 2:37 pm

Guillaume Deschamps wrote:Tried the Botanist recently, very "medicinal" in flavors, quite forward, very dry.

There seems to be a surge in the number of premium gins released right now. I could swear there's a new one popping up every week or so! A local bar here has a good range of them, and the owner brings in a new premium gin every week to try--she knows I'm a fan so I try with her sometimes (if I'm around at the right time) and we discuss how to best prepare a G&T with this specific gin (which tonic, which condiments... for example she uses the trick of putting a fresh raspberry in a G&T to counter the dryness of some gins).
Tried this recently in Scotland; an Islay gin from Bruichladdich. Very nice indeed! Even dry enough for my Beefeater tastes.

Russell Faulkner

#122 Post by Russell Faulkner » September 2nd, 2012, 8:38 pm

Rick Gregory wrote:Russell - I drink mine in martinis so the flavor of the gin is far more apparent.
Yep, this and neat is pretty much the only way I could see a difference, though the chill must reduce some of the subtle flavours.

I'll stick with Tanqueray export I think, it's way less than half the price of many others here.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#123 Post by Chris Freemott » September 13th, 2012, 5:57 pm

hehehehe
local grocer had a cart full of 'discount' booze - i peeked in yesterday. Lookie here!!!! 2x750 of Plymouth. Christopher paid $11/per.

:-)

Rob MacKay

#124 Post by Rob MacKay » September 14th, 2012, 9:20 am

Chris Freemott wrote:hehehehe
local grocer had a cart full of 'discount' booze - i peeked in yesterday. Lookie here!!!! 2x750 of Plymouth. Christopher paid $11/per.

:-)

Nice find!

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by T. Altmayer » March 7th, 2013, 10:38 am

Just picked up a bottle of 209 to have a martini. Usually stick with Hendricks or Sapphire for martinis and Bombay, Tanqueray or Beefeater for lighter G&Ts.

I know its not G&T season yet, but last summer I discovered Q Tonic Water. What a huge difference. No syrupy or off tasting finish, just pure and clean. Haven't tried any of the artisan tonics yet, but may have to after realizing how mediocre my tonics have been over the years.
Tom

jimmie wellman

#126 Post by jimmie wellman » March 7th, 2013, 1:51 pm

T. Altmayer wrote:Just picked up a bottle of 209 to have a martini. Usually stick with Hendricks or Sapphire for martinis and Bombay, Tanqueray or Beefeater for lighter G&Ts.

I know its not G&T season yet, but last summer I discovered Q Tonic Water. What a huge difference. No syrupy or off tasting finish, just pure and clean. Haven't tried any of the artisan tonics yet, but may have to after realizing how mediocre my tonics have been over the years.
Q is ok, much, much better than Schwepps, but I think Fever Tree is even better. Unfortunately, not available out here in the hinterlands.
Nevermind!

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by T. Altmayer » March 7th, 2013, 2:21 pm

jimmie wellman wrote:Q is ok, much, much better than Schwepps, but I think Fever Tree is even better. Unfortunately, not available out here in the hinterlands.
Nice, I think they have that at BevMo, will try it soon.
Tom

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#128 Post by Robert M yers » March 10th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Im a fan of Hendricks for sure when you want that style, I think it in a class by itself. I have liked Magellan for an inexpensive mixer in the past ($19) for something with that botanical flavor. Citadelle is decent too.

Old Raj is very good although pricey. I also like Plymouth in this style area, of course Sapphire is perfectly acceptable in a pinch (but maybe boring?) If Im tonic-ing Gin's like these I find a high quality botanical tasting one like Q-Tonic really adds to the drink (assuming you want your Sapphire to lean towards not straight). Fever tree is good but I really like the Q.

Have any of you had Nolets? Knowing that I like to try anything new, and we're limited here in Ohio, my wife brought this stuff home one day. One sip in and I could say it was the worst Gin for my palate that Ive ever had (I'd rather drink Well level) . Just a Huge floral aroma that I could not even get around, you cant even hide it in a mega mixed drink like Long Island (is there Gin in LI?) Awful stuff at a huge price $50+

Deaths Door just arrived to our state so based in some rec's here Im going to give it a whirl.
Last edited by Robert M yers on March 11th, 2013, 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by T. Altmayer » March 11th, 2013, 6:37 pm

Tried the Fever Tree Tonic and its nice, but I prefer Q's lighter style as it let's more of the gin flavor through.
Tom

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » March 11th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Jimmie, and all others:

Buy yourself a Sodastream.

Order some of this. Never worry about tonic water again.

http://spirits.bittermens.com/product/c ... c-cordial/
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

jimmie wellman

#131 Post by jimmie wellman » March 11th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:Jimmie, and all others:

Buy yourself a Sodastream.

Order some of this. Never worry about tonic water again.

We have a Sodastream, so I'll check it out, if I can find the Bittermen's. TIA.
Nevermind!

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#132 Post by Robert M yers » March 11th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Brent,

What is the cost per use? I would be really interested in a great tonic that was available in really small amounts at a time. For instance I like Q which costs about 2 bucks, but if I only want one G & T Im only using 1/5 of the bottle probably, its just such a waste sometimes.

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » March 11th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Jimmie,

Bittermens just moved from Brooklyn to New Orleans and set up a new facility to be able to supply nationally. I would think they could be available in WA by summer, I'm sure Seattle is a market they'd like to expand to if possible. There are online sources on their website, hopefully they can ship to you.

http://bittermens.com/purchase/online/

Robert,

Cost of use of course would vary based on your net price. They recommend 3/4oz of spirit to 4oz seltzer. I was doing 1oz to about 6oz of seltzer and the drinks tasted good. For a price reference, you can get it at Hi-Times from Veronica for $25.99/375ml before tax/shipping. I am ITB here in NY so I am paying less. Unfortunately for you it would work out to the same or more as the Q Tonic. For me it's about $1.50 per use, but it's not so much the money as the control over your drink. Q Tonic offers both 4pks of 187ml bottles and a 750ml, may I suggest you look for/ask for the 4pks at your local outlet to maintain the freshness you're looking for in small amounts? Even Q Tonic, though it's probably the best, widely available Tonic water, is a bit sweet for me. I actually have done their recipe with the hopped Grapefruit bitters and it's very dry, quite jarringly dry if you are used to, say, Bombay Sapphire & tonic which was an old time favorite of mine. I'm glad my taste has evolved.

‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Jason Hagen

Your Gin?

#134 Post by Jason Hagen » May 9th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Sipping on this Image

St George Terroir

Just a little too much for me. So intense, it reminds me of Cinnamon Schnapps.

Jason

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

Your Gin?

#135 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » May 9th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:Sipping on this Image

St George Terroir

Just a little too much for me. So intense, it reminds me of Cinnamon Schnapps.

Jason
Love it, it is a real treat— not an everyday sipper, for sure.
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

jimmie wellman

Your Gin?

#136 Post by jimmie wellman » May 10th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Just scored some Tanqueray Malacca. I guess they've brought it back on a limited basis. Enjoying it as a G&T right now.
Nevermind!

Brad B a l l i n g e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

Your Gin?

#137 Post by Brad B a l l i n g e r » May 11th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Did the Hendrick's fad for a while when this thread first started. Back to Plymouth.
"We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink." - Cicero

Dale Bowers
GCC Member
GCC Member

Your Gin?

#138 Post by Dale Bowers » May 11th, 2013, 4:46 pm

Plymouth in tini's, like Hendricks for G & T.
Cheers!

Jason Hagen

#139 Post by Jason Hagen » May 12th, 2013, 7:38 pm

M.Kaplan wrote: Wish Plymouth Navy Strength was sold in the US.
I know this is an old post but in case it hasn't been pointed out, Navy Strength is now available.

J

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Your Gin?

#140 Post by Dave H. » May 13th, 2013, 3:38 pm

I got a little sampler pack of those St. George's gins, and thought they were all great and distinctive. I think they'd be good additions to any liquor cabinet.
My go-to is Citadelle. Fairly priced and packed with flavor. Love it.
Hendrik

W. Leonard

#141 Post by W. Leonard » May 13th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Chad Richardson wrote:Just did a side by side of 3 St George gins. Rye (red elements on the label) by far has the highest juniper level on the nose, but also a strong alcohol note that also comes thru on the palate and IMHO detracts. Terroir (green) is probably the most balanced and closest to a traditional London Dry, very enjoyable. Botanivore (blue) was by far the lightest, with a slightly sweet edge. I'd drink any of these, tho I think the Rye might be an acquire taste.
After the comparison, the leftovers were all combined and topped off with a dollop of Corsair. I think the combo may be the best of all.
I quite like the Terroir, as you said nice balance and a great price point
warren@weygandtwines.com

Jason Hagen

#142 Post by Jason Hagen » May 13th, 2013, 5:06 pm

Veronica Castro wrote:
Michael Bowden wrote:Anybody had this? I'm not a gin fan....but this has to be the most $ gin on the market?

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1061164

Nolet's Reserve
there is a market for it... we sold a couple. i've been lucky enough to try the Nolet's Reserve. The same company as Ketel One makes it.

The label is a big, honking 14k gold-plated placard, making it one pimpdaddy bottle. It also has an Ace of Spades-looking box. The Reserve is made with saffron and verbena, which you taste. The distributor said a lot of saffron went into the batch (i forget the amounts). I thought it was very good.
In both Nolet's Silver and Reserve, (compared to other gins) the juniper element was barely noticeable. The Silver (which costs several $$$ less) was very floral with a lot of stone fruit. I liked the two just as much.

Cheers,
With the price reduction, this is a heck of a deal [wink.gif]

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

Your Gin?

#143 Post by Marshall Gelb » May 15th, 2013, 7:35 pm

As mentioned earlier, our "regular" gins are Bombay Sapphire, Hendricks, and Boodles. Lately, we have discovered two interesting boutique gins.....Blade and more recently Uncle Val's. Worth looking for.

Cheers!
Marshall
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Ed Murray
GCC Member
GCC Member

Your Gin?

#144 Post by Ed Murray » May 15th, 2013, 10:23 pm

If you like juniper in your gin, (and who doesn't) nothing I've had even comes CLOSE to 5 o'clock gin:

http://fiveoclockdistillery.squarespace.com
It's not the event, it's the reaction to the event!

Jason Hagen

Your Gin?

#145 Post by Jason Hagen » June 1st, 2013, 9:10 am

Had in very dry martini and a G&T. Very nice.

Jason
Attachments
IMG_4518.jpg
IMG_4518.jpg (17.71 KiB) Viewed 2592 times

Larry Stein

Your Gin?

#146 Post by Larry Stein » September 18th, 2013, 11:26 am

Go-to gins for G&T and martinis in our home are Blade (made in my hometown!) and St. George Botanivore. We also love St. George Terroir, but for martinis only. I did see a cocktail recipe recently that calls for Terroir and Leopold Bros. Alpine Herbal Liqueur (and a couple of other ingredients) that I'm looking forward to trying. I haven't stopped by K&L yet to pick up the liqueur (they had to special order it).

My tonic water preference is Fentimans. I'll also use Fever Tree Mediterranean in a pinch.

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

Your Gin?

#147 Post by John Osburn » September 18th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Recently in Victoria and had a very fine Gin Martini (I know, a pleonasm) with Victoria Gin. Nicely clean and dry yet with a certain, I don't know, juiciness?

[attachment=0]Victoria-Gin-Label.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
Victoria-Gin-Label.jpg
Victoria-Gin-Label.jpg (16.77 KiB) Viewed 2522 times

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Your Gin?

#148 Post by M.Kaplan » October 2nd, 2013, 8:32 am

As of yesterday, Botanist Islay Gin and Acqua Tonico di Chinotto (from Lurisia) makes a hard to beat G&T. I've never been much of a G&T drinker, but disovered how great a beverage it can be while in Madrid last week. Which was quite a surprise, as I've never encountered much of a cocktail scene in Europe before. At Ten Con Ten in the Salamanca neighborhood of Madrid, they offer 40-ish gins and 20 or so tonics. And the bartenders are serious about cocktails. We went every evening.

---Mark

Dale Bowers
GCC Member
GCC Member

Your Gin?

#149 Post by Dale Bowers » November 30th, 2013, 4:35 pm

Plymouth is my flavor of the moment for martinis.
Cheers!

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

Your Gin?

#150 Post by Michel Abood » November 30th, 2013, 5:27 pm

I'm a big G&T fan, so I get picky about my gins. Lately, I've been enjoying Roundhouse, small production gin made in Denver from 13 organic botanicals. Very aromatic, nicely balanced, really delicious.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Return to “Beer and Spirits”