Your Gin?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Dave McCloskey

Re: Your Gin?

#451 Post by Dave McCloskey »

Here's a quick take on all the Gins I've purchased recently. I'll also give an estimated number rating in alignment with a 0-100 wine point system.

Ki No Bi Kyoto Dry Gin - 91 pts. Interesting gin with a mid-palete bite. More on the traditional side with some nice botanicals and a slight sake finish.
Drum Shambo Gunpowder - 87 pts. I also wanted to like this gin and I still can't make up my mind about it. I do think it's over the top on Botanicals and the Gunpowder tea has a taste that I'm on the fence about.
Uncle Vals - 80 pts. A cucumber salad in a glass. Can't get past the nose.
Gin Mare - 96 pts. This is a great Martini gin. I love the hints of olive, rosemary, thyme and basil. Nothing is out of balance with this gin.
Ransom Old Tom - 85 pts. This is a whiskey pretending to be a gin and an acquired taste for me. It's not bad, it just isn't a gin lovers gin.
Citadelle - 95 pts. This is an exceptional gin in the traditional London dry mold, however it has it's own character. It's smooth, complex and very well balanced.
Dingle - 94 pts. Crisp clean and beautifully put together gin. The 7 botanicals are present, but are a wonderful compliment in this well balanced and interesting gin.
Old Raj - 93 pts. This makes a butt kicking Martini. Traditional style and very well done.
Botanist - 93 pts. This was a surprise to me. I got a bottle for my Birthday last summer and instantly gravitated towards it. This is a versatile gin that's well balanced with nice botanicals throughout the experience. Not overdone though.
Empress 1908 - 88 pts. Heavy on the botanicals, hence the color. It makes a good G&T.
Monkey 47 - 99 pts. This is good as it gets for me. It's got a character unlike any other gin I've ever tasted. It's well balanced, smooth with an interesting mix of botanicals, yet maintains a recognizable nod to tradition. However, perhaps the most important characteristic of Monkey 47 is the buzz it provides. It's bloody fantastic! ;-)

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#452 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Interesting list. I found Citadelle to be hit or miss. Agree on Old Raj and totally agree with Monkey 47. Intriguing thing for me is that the M47 Distillers Cuts were too over the top for me.

I go back and forth on Empress. I'm not a BIG fan of the taste, but there is definitely goodness around the "experience" factor of dropping in tonic and watching the color change like crazy because of the pea blossoms.

Thanks for the post!
Instagram at @akgrill

Milton Hudson

#453 Post by Milton Hudson »

I personally don't care for the drumshambo, just too over the top with the gunpowder tea. It's really all i taste.
The Uncle Val's makes a spectacular bloody mary. Repurpose for that and you will be happy.
Was just able to reload the Gin Mare. Outstanding Martini gin. Closest available for me is in New Orleans.
Also reloaded my Gin Raw which is a bit of a clean profile yet with character if that makes sense.
I have to ration the Monkey Shoulder a bit. Had some last week and it just reinforced why it is such a great gin.
Bought a bottle of Brockman's which because of the berry etc. did not do well in a Martini. However, it does make a delicious Negroni and what i call an American 75. Gin, cranberry simple syrup, sparkling wine.

Dave McCloskey

#454 Post by Dave McCloskey »

Milton Hudson wrote: January 18th, 2021, 9:07 am I personally don't care for the drumshambo, just too over the top with the gunpowder tea. It's really all i taste.
The Uncle Val's makes a spectacular bloody mary. Repurpose for that and you will be happy.
Was just able to reload the Gin Mare. Outstanding Martini gin. Closest available for me is in New Orleans.
Also reloaded my Gin Raw which is a bit of a clean profile yet with character if that makes sense.
I have to ration the Monkey Shoulder a bit. Had some last week and it just reinforced why it is such a great gin.
Bought a bottle of Brockman's which because of the berry etc. did not do well in a Martini. However, it does make a delicious Negroni and what i call an American 75. Gin, cranberry simple syrup, sparkling wine.
"The Uncle Val's makes a spectacular bloody mary. Repurpose for that and you will be happy."

If I don't say so myself, I'm a master Bloody Mary maker. That's a great idea and will try it this weekend.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#455 Post by Brandon R »

Great list, Dave. I'm going to go grab some Gin Mare (I love martinis) and a half bottle of Monkey 47 (spendy stuff), as it's available just a few blocks from my office. What's your gin:vermouth ratio for martinis?
B. Redman

BLittle
Contributor
Contributor

#456 Post by BLittle »

when i put together an order for Cadddell & Williams, i always add a bottle of the RUSSELL HENRY London Dry Gin. It's very smooth with no "bite" so i don't have to chill my martinis too much. I've played with their Malayasian Lime version and Dark Gin, too, for those who like to experiment
Brett Cyril Little (AKA BC)

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#457 Post by K John Joseph »

Brandon R wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 8:27 am Great list, Dave. I'm going to go grab some Gin Mare (I love martinis) and a half bottle of Monkey 47 (spendy stuff), as it's available just a few blocks from my office. What's your gin:vermouth ratio for martinis?
3:1 with Dolin here for a gin martini. And stir it for a good long while. Express a lemon twist.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#458 Post by Brandon R »

Loved the Gin Mare martini. Delicious stuff...thanks for the tip.
B. Redman

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#459 Post by K John Joseph »

Brandon R wrote: January 25th, 2021, 9:46 am Loved the Gin Mare martini. Delicious stuff...thanks for the tip.
Gin Mare is an excellent gin. Great in a G&T too.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#460 Post by Robert M yers »

Roku is more and more becoming my house gin, incredible balance.

Tanqueray Sevilla Orange is not. WAyyyytooosweet. I guess I’ll drop into somewhere you might havE used Grand Marnier

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#461 Post by Rodrigo B »

Ruku has been making some pretty good martinis and negronis. Plus, I know it's not relevant at all to the end result of the cocktails, but I do love the bottle design
B r @ g @

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#462 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

K John Joseph wrote: January 25th, 2021, 7:54 am
Brandon R wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 8:27 am Great list, Dave. I'm going to go grab some Gin Mare (I love martinis) and a half bottle of Monkey 47 (spendy stuff), as it's available just a few blocks from my office. What's your gin:vermouth ratio for martinis?
3:1 with Dolin here for a gin martini. And stir it for a good long while. Express a lemon twist.
You lament that you are the only one posting in this thread, yet I see you have only one post per page!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#463 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Rodrigo B wrote: January 28th, 2021, 9:41 pm Ruku has been making some pretty good martinis and negronis. Plus, I know it's not relevant at all to the end result of the cocktails, but I do love the bottle design
Interesting. I would never put Roku in a martini. It has too much yuzu signature. I find any gin with too much fruitiness to too heavy a single signature interferes with the classic gin-y taste I want in a martini. I love Roku in a G&T and some other cocktails, but never a martini.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#464 Post by Rodrigo B »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: January 29th, 2021, 6:56 am
Rodrigo B wrote: January 28th, 2021, 9:41 pm Ruku has been making some pretty good martinis and negronis. Plus, I know it's not relevant at all to the end result of the cocktails, but I do love the bottle design
Interesting. I would never put Roku in a martini. It has too much yuzu signature. I find any gin with too much fruitiness to too heavy a single signature interferes with the classic gin-y taste I want in a martini. I love Roku in a G&T and some other cocktails, but never a martini.
I like yuzu so maybe that’s why? I also tend not to garnish my martini if I’m using Roku. I find that other citrus twists clash with the yuzu notes.
B r @ g @

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#465 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Rodrigo B wrote: January 29th, 2021, 7:06 am
I like yuzu so maybe that’s why? I also tend not to garnish my martini if I’m using Roku. I find that other citrus twists clash with the yuzu notes.
Louis at Miracle Mile Bitters makes a yuzu bitters. Could try a few drops of that in lieu of a garnish.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#466 Post by Rodrigo B »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: January 29th, 2021, 7:08 am Louis at Miracle Mile Bitters makes a yuzu bitters. Could try a few drops of that in lieu of a garnish.
I’ve thought about it. I’m no stranger to putting bitters in my martini or its variants to change things up a bit (I always love seeing how a Ford changes with varying bitters), but yuzu bitters with the Roku just feels like it’s make the martini completely one dimensional. Maybe some celery bitters?

I also recently found out about the Japanese Bitters Co (anyone tried them?) that seems to do some interesting bitters I’d love to experiment with. Feels like their Shiso, Sakura, or Hinoki bitters would add something really unique to a martini. I’ve been meaning to track some down
B r @ g @

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#467 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Rodrigo B wrote: January 29th, 2021, 7:18 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: January 29th, 2021, 7:08 am Louis at Miracle Mile Bitters makes a yuzu bitters. Could try a few drops of that in lieu of a garnish.
I’ve thought about it. I’m no stranger to putting bitters in my martini or its variants to change things up a bit (I always love seeing how a Ford changes with varying bitters), but yuzu bitters with the Roku just feels like it’s make the martini completely one dimensional. Maybe some celery bitters?

I also recently found out about the Japanese Bitters Co (anyone tried them?) that seems to do some interesting bitters I’d love to experiment with. Feels like their Shiso, Sakura, or Hinoki bitters would add something really unique to a martini. I’ve been meaning to track some down
I find when I double down on the yuzu in a Roku G&T by using the yuzu bitters, it gives that flavor some depth and integrates it to the alcohol rather than making it one note, but that might not be the case with a martini.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#468 Post by Rodrigo B »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: January 29th, 2021, 7:24 am I find when I double down on the yuzu in a Roku G&T by using the yuzu bitters, it gives that flavor some depth and integrates it to the alcohol rather than making it one note, but that might not be the case with a martini.
Interesting. I’ll have to give that a try then after I grab some yuzu bitters
B r @ g @

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#469 Post by K John Joseph »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 28th, 2021, 9:43 pm
K John Joseph wrote: January 25th, 2021, 7:54 am
You lament that you are the only one posting in this thread, yet I see you have only one post per page!
I was a late arrival to the thread and have to have posted more notes on gins over the last year and a half than anyone else. But I'll take this as a push to go buy some new gins over the next couple of weeks. I have, unfortunately, run out of liquor cabinet space (and have two cabinets) between gin, scotch, and cocktail fixings.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#470 Post by K John Joseph »

Rodrigo B wrote: January 29th, 2021, 7:06 am
Rodrigo, I finish a gin martini with a lemon twist anyway most of the time, and so the yuzu note is not a detractor and Roku is pretty light anyway, in my opinion. I just think Roku is a bit simple, though it makes a very crisp summer gin and tonic. If you like the yuzu note but are interested in something a bit more complex and refined, check out Ki No Bi.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#471 Post by Craig G »

Rodrigo B wrote: January 29th, 2021, 7:18 am

They are expensive but really good. The Yuzu is much better than Miracle Mile’s. I have the Shiso and Umami and they are both great as well.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#472 Post by dcornutt »

For gin and tonic, Monkey 47 is very hard to beat.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#473 Post by Rodrigo B »

Craig G wrote: January 29th, 2021, 12:30 pm They are expensive but really good. The Yuzu is much better than Miracle Mile’s. I have the Shiso and Umami and they are both great as well.
I recently just looked up the prices recently and definitely felt the sticker shock. Have definetely been struggling with whether or not to get them. Not sure I'd pony up for the yuzu one when Miracle Mile's are half the price. Are they twice as good? The shiso and umami seem to be unique enough to somewhat justify the price, but even then [wow.gif]
B r @ g @

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#474 Post by Craig G »

Rodrigo B wrote: January 30th, 2021, 12:04 am
Craig G wrote: January 29th, 2021, 12:30 pm They are expensive but really good. The Yuzu is much better than Miracle Mile’s. I have the Shiso and Umami and they are both great as well.
I recently just looked up the prices recently and definitely felt the sticker shock. Have definetely been struggling with whether or not to get them. Not sure I'd pony up for the yuzu one when Miracle Mile's are half the price. Are they twice as good? The shiso and umami seem to be unique enough to somewhat justify the price, but even then [wow.gif]
I don’t think Miracle Mile’s Yuzu is very good, so for me they are much more than worth the price difference. In any case, I’m not sure the price of bitters is consequential in the big picture. If I really wanted to save money on bitters, I should buy fewer bitters, not cheaper ones!
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#475 Post by K John Joseph »

Harahorn Gin - A small batch Norwegian gin made from local botanicals. I've had this for a while but realized I'd not posted a note. Initial pop is similar to london dry in style, with a crisp juniper driven taste and a dry profile. Hints of licorice, citrus, and slightly under ripe blueberry (with that nice tart note) provide a good layer of complexity. Makes a very enjoyable gin and tonic, and has the smoothness to sip on the rocks. A pretty good gin if you like a dry, juniper driven style (which I do).
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#476 Post by K John Joseph »

dcornutt wrote: January 29th, 2021, 4:23 pm For gin and tonic, Monkey 47 is very hard to beat.
What I've found fascinating is that many new gins have come out that are really heavy in both quantity and amount of botanicals in an effort to recreate or surpass Monkey 47. I've not found any of those to come within shouting distance of the complexity, smoothness, and intrigue of Monkey 47. The ones that have many botanicals and are high quality have carved their own niche in a totally different style, like Silent Pool. Monkey 47 is a lot to handle, but it certainly makes a uniquely complex gin and tonic.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Jeff Johannsmeyer

#477 Post by Jeff Johannsmeyer »

Any love here for Ferdinand's Saar Dry Gin? Supposedly made in partnership with Forstmeister Geltz Zilliken, with a dose of Riesling blended in with the botanicals. Speaking of which, they claim 30 different varieties... I just opened a bottle and it's pretty nice, even on its own. The Riesling adds a nice dimension, though I'm not sure i would have picked it out instantly without prompting. I can taste it knowing it's there, though. One significant turn-off: It's capped with a wine cork that must be extracted with a corkscrew. Not a good option if you're not going to drink it all quickly. Fortunately I have some reasonably tight stoppers that seem to work well.

Not quite sure which tonic to match it with for basic G&T, as there's a hint of sweetness already on the palate. But in a French 75 it was really very nice, to the point that it will almost certainly supplant my normal Plymouth or Tanq 10 for such purposes. I think any wine- or fortified wine-based cocktail will shine with this.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#478 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Anyone try the other Hendricks gins besides Orbium (Lunar and Midsummer Solstice)? Any of the three worth trying for someone who enjoys Hendricks?
CT and IG: rieslinghoarder

2021 WOTY Candidates:

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb “Meyer Nepal” #11
2006 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#479 Post by TGigante »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: February 19th, 2021, 4:11 pm Anyone try the other Hendricks gins besides Orbium (Lunar and Midsummer Solstice)? Any of the three worth trying for someone who enjoys Hendricks?
I have had the Soltice in a Fever Tree G&T
Almost polished off the whole bottle over the summer
To me it has the typical Hendricks smooth cuke flavors, light on the botanicals. And as advertised an added hit of florals. I picked up a heavy rose influence. Very enjoyable for a light refreshing floral Take on gin
Cheers,
Tony

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#480 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

TGigante wrote: February 19th, 2021, 4:52 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: February 19th, 2021, 4:11 pm Anyone try the other Hendricks gins besides Orbium (Lunar and Midsummer Solstice)? Any of the three worth trying for someone who enjoys Hendricks?
To me it has the typical Hendricks smooth cuke flavors, light on the botanicals. And as advertised an added hit of florals. I picked up a heavy rose influence. Very enjoyable for a light refreshing floral Take on gin
Enough for me to check out next time I need to stock up.

Just restocked on a big bottle of the regular and trying out the Monkey 47. Made a G&T tonight with the Monkey 47 and Fever Tree. Delicious.
CT and IG: rieslinghoarder

2021 WOTY Candidates:

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb “Meyer Nepal” #11
2006 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#481 Post by K John Joseph »

TGigante wrote: February 19th, 2021, 4:52 pm
I've written them both up on here if you run a search. I am a big fan of the bitter tannic and floral notes in Orbium. Midsummer Solstice is intensely floral. It makes a very unique gin and tonic, and can be very good in cocktails that call for that added floral note. Slightly sweet too. It is a very unique and identifiable gin, and I honestly cannot think of another gin on the market that is so distinctly floral driven. I have it once in a while as a change up when it's hot, but it is not my preferred style of gin for a gin and tonic. It is well made though, and very smooth.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#482 Post by K John Joseph »

Would like to know if anyone has tried Lunar yet. I've not had a chance to grab a bottle.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#483 Post by Jay Miller »

Has anyone tried the Navazos Palazzi Gin? Looks interesting and there have been good reviews here for the Brandy and the Rum.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”