J.W. Lees Harvest Ale (Lagavulin Whisky Cask)

Just purchased one of these, but have never had one. Anyone know what I can expect? How long should I hold this sucker? There was only one left, so I couldn’t buy more than one to answer these questions for myself. Help. [help.gif]

In general, JW Lees Harvest Ale is one of the more long lived English Barleywine, easily over a decade and some will push them towards 20, though the ones I had that old have all been flat and lost their interest. The cask aged series has only been going on for about 5-7 years at most, and are primarily done for the American importer B. United. They should have a vintage somewhere on the front. The boozy flavors are stronger when they are younger, as well as the cask flavors; to me, the Sherry and Port aged ones were the strongest tasting.

Thanks, Matthew. I’ll check the vintage when I get home tonight and report back.

I’m probably the only person on this board who thinks it’s amusing that Matthew Brown responded to a post about John Willie Lees

Mine’s a 2005, so that’s pretty cool that it already has a few years of age. In theory, it would be nice to put maybe 5 more on it … buuuuut, knowing me I probably will drink it sometime in the next 2 months. :stuck_out_tongue:

Born to dink beer… [bow.gif]

I have a few coasters from when my parents were in England back in the early 80s. I would KILL for something of more substance like a glass, bar towel. There was a picture in the original Michael Jackson beer encyclopedia of the last days of the brewery, and they had a horse drawn wagon with the Matthew Brown emblem on the side. What are the odds that’s still around…

Don’t worry, they do a batch pretty much every year. Best to try it now to be sure it’s something you’ll be interested in 4+ years down the road.

I second the idea of trying now. I tried a 3 vintage vertical of the Harvest a few months ago, all had a few years in bottle, and I detested all of them. This beer is really high alcohol with a ton of residual sugar. One of the three was more restrained than the others, but still tasted to me almost like port with sugar and alcohol added (I know the abv is lower than port, but it tastes less balanced to me in the beer). I guess some people like these beers, but the other people I tasted them with and talked to about them felt the same way that I did. Three of us opened the three beers (not big bottles – 12oz or 330 mL) and did not finish any of them. Interesting for a couple of sips, but I think I’d have a killer headache if I finished a bottle, not that I’d even want to.

at 11.5 abv these definitely are not chugging beers; the fact the bottle size is only 9.3oz. is a rather subtle nod of recognition to that idea. I’ll probably split it with a couple friends.

Not that I detested them, but I agree with the rest…I’d want no more than maybe 1/3 - 1/2 of a bottle at a time.

Earlier this week I sampled the JW Lees '08 Port cask, '06 Sherry cask and the 2000 (no cask specified). The '08 and the '06 offered lots of smoky tar notes, but little in the way of malt. It would be hard to discern the previous contents of the casks. The 2000, while low on carbonation, abounded with sweet toffee flavors and sherry-like notes. I’d love to taste it again and the others in a few years. Also very good at this point in time, if you can find it, George Gale Conquest Masterbrew '01.

Dave, here’s one more person.

Born and bred in Rochdale and went to school in Middleton, just up the road from the John Willie Lees brewery!

Must admit though, I prefer Thwaites.

We tried the 2002 and 2006 together on Sunday.
(Not sure the casks used)
The 02 is nutty and loaded with malt.
A residual sweetness that is powerful.
The 06 is a very toned down version of the 02. Not as complex.

To me this beer is an acquired taste.

Don, I’m not sure if these anniversary harvest beers are aged in any particular type of cask, I tried to find something about it on the bottle, but no luck.

I really liked the '02, as it had the depth of smooth, caramel, malty flavours to overcome the sweetness, but the '06 seemed to be more like a concentrated wheat beer, and, as you so gently put it, definitely an acquired taste. [wink.gif]