Rose Apple Cider

We’ve been carrying small production Italian ciders and this year they came out with a rose cider. Would you ever try something like this? It reminds me of wine from Tavel with the similar cranberry notes.

A few Virginia wineries add a bit of cider into their wine (not my favorite). I rather drink dry style ciders then have it mixed in some weird way to save a bad grape harvest.

I’ve had a couple from Washington state, including Dragon’s Head’s Rose. I do enjoy it quite a bit. The few I’ve had seem to pick up some red berry notes as well as some gentle tannins. The Dragon’s Head reminds me of Farnum Hill (non-rose) ciders - very much tasting of true cider apples without the funkiness (at least in this bottling). So far I’ve seen that producers make them in their house style but the aromatics are a bit different.

Oh yes, I prefer cleaaaan ciders. When it’s funkier it makes it hard to drink.

We have a wonderful ‘Rose’ cider on our list from Cidrerie du Leguer, from Brittany France. They actually add a tiny bit of Cassis berries (about2%) - it’s absolutely lovely -

I recently bought a mixed case of ciders from Virtue, which included a rose. I tried and liked it, but will drink the remaining cans when the weather gets a bit warmer.