What whiskey will you choose ?

Hi Guys
I want to purchase some whiskey and keep for about 5 years for investment . What kind or which one do you suggest ? I am thinking choose scotl , something above 30 years ?
Thanks

You will find most people on this forum are more interested in drinking scotch than in buying it for investment.

As Sarah noted, most here are more interested in drinking Scotch, rather than flipping it. If you want to have a look at what people here like to drink, check out the What Scotch are you drinking thread found here: What WHISKY (Scotch) are you drinking? - Beer and Spirits - WineBerserkers

I can’t comment much on how much appreaciation can be had in 5 years time for these whiskeys, but for investment purposes in Scotch, rare Bowmore and Macallan single vintage often dominate many of the rare spirits auctions. Have a look at some past results from auction houses like Zachy’s, Bonhams, Christie’s, Sotheby’s, etc. to get a better idea of the type of whiskeys that come up for auction.

Rare limited release American whiskeys are also increasingly popular and commanding high prices on the secondary market, so those may also be worth considering should you have access to them at close to MSRP.

Thanks , I like to drink , but I will also interesting to purchase some for long time keeping, even I don’t sell it , I will feel happy .

To make a worthwhile profit in only five years on whisky you’ll have to catch lightning in a bottle. Good luck.

So, white lightning is the play here?

1 Like

Same question

Not really; pappy has tripled in price in 2 years.

I am very very interesting to know where the guys they purchased Pappy 20 years for 150…never see it in South CA. I think if I found that , I will buy 5 cases

These types of offers aren’t generally widely available. It’s usually a retailer offering a select few of their best and long-standing clients the opportunity to purchase a few bottles (not cases) at a more favourable price. So it’s really about building a relationship with a particular retailer and letting them known your interests. Not many are able to just walk into a retailer and purchase Pappy at that price.

I’ve bought cases of pappy in the last 2-3 years which has greatly appreciated; not lately though, prices have increased a ton.

Ten tons

That’s whiskey, not whisky.

That’s cask seasoning, not whisky. [cheers.gif]

LOL! Precisely. [cheers.gif]

I’d research old Ardbeg’s and Macallan’s if this is what you really want to do. Interesting time horizon you’ve set.

Maybe really swing for the fences and try your luck at buying casks and then selling them off.

Both of these are very hot , can I ask where do you find cases ?

You don’t find cases. You find bottles at auction. If you are lucky and wealthy.