Apéro/apéritif

Strike 1: ordered an Americano in an Italian restaurant, an apéritiv. Brought a coffee. FAIL.

Hahaha I had this happen a few years ago in NYC. I got to drink a coffee followed by the cocktail.

Just after graduating with a few friends we rented a villa near Malaga for a couple of weeks. I have about twenty words of Spanish, max. Second afternoon at a cafe they ordered rum and coke (Cuba libre) successfully. I wanted a Sherry and asked for ‘un Manzanilla por favour’. Waiter gave me a very funny look and wandered off. Came back 5 minutes later with three rum and cokes, no Sherry. ‘Y un manzanilla?’ I said pushing the boundaries of my Spanish. ‘Si si’ was the reply. Another five minutes pass. Then he reappears with a tray and a little tea pot. For me. Turned out Manzanilla is a brand of herbal tea. Apparently I should have asked for ‘Un Jerez Manzanilla’ which doesnt really make sense given the geography.

I’m sure they served you chamomile tea (“chamomile” is “manzanilla”). Same thing happened to me in a bar in Segovia (and I do speak Spanish) - the waiter smiled/chuckled sheepishly when I told him I meant the sherry. I’ve ordered manzanilla as an apero all around Spain countless times; and, said time in Segovia was the only time that mix up happened; go figure.