The Bruery tasting

Patrick Rue will be here in a few moments for our in-store tasting. Notes to follow.

keg stands? [training.gif] [berserker.gif]

GREAT beers. Tell him Hey from Roberto and Erik at Wine Expo in Santa Monica…

Just got the Saison de Lente and Mischief in yesterday; quite an imposing lineup now on the shelf with these added to White and Black Orchids, Rugbrod, Hottenroth, Autumn Maple and 2 Turtle Doves. Haven’t had a murderers row of 750s from one brewery since I first was able to get Fantome in VA and had 8-9 in a row.
Good tasting to you!

Orchard White
This crispy, lemony beer has well balanced flavors and aromas of lavender, coriander, wheat stalks, orange peel and finishes with a hoppy zip.

Mischief
Whoa, this is some tasty stuff! With spiced hops in the aroma, this is a vibrant, flavorful beer with absolutely no bitterness or astringency in the the body. It has a remarkable, peppery finish.

Saison Rue
One of the more soft-bodied Saisons I’ve had in awhile, this beer is fruity and citrusy with lemon hops and a hint of brett. Delicious and eminently drinkable.

Rugbrod
Dutch-style beer with charcoal and horsehair aromas. I’m not a huge fan of this one, but I’m sure some people will really dig it for its bitter, dense body and smoky overtones.

Autumn Maple
BACON! Smoked bacon, yams and molasses are packed into this amazing BSDA. Its orange color belies the density of flavor found within. Quite “sweet” tasting with all the yam and molasses going on, this also has plenty of allspice, gingersnap cookie, and melted meat fat to go around. Zoinks!

2 Turtle Doves
This BDSA has gobs of chocolate and nut flavors from the cocoa nibs and pecans brewed in the recipe. I’m surprised at how NOT over the top these flavors and aromas are showing themselves considering their intensity. A little fig and strawberry hold the fort in the background. Delicious!

Hottenroth
Probably the best Berliner Weisse I’ve tasted in over a year. Only 3.1%, this smells of Honey Smacks cereal, Cheerios, Cracker Jacks (and toasted popcorn in general), while tasting of light lemonade. This is ridiculously delicious and unbelievably light in color for such a flavorful beer.

Did you get to the Saison de Lente at all?

Went to a “beer-pairing dinner” at the SideDoor tonight, which featured the Bruery’s beers.
Fell in love with their Orchard White. Crisp, light and citrusy, with lavender on the nose to the palate… just delicious.

The Saison Rue was also on the menu… as was the Hottenroth, Rugbrød and Saison de Lent. The restaurant did a great job pairing the beers to the courses. Left the menu at the restaurant… duh. The beers were all very different from each another, but for me, the Orchard White was the showstopper.