Store shorted by distributor on allocated whiskey

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
BenW

Store shorted by distributor on allocated whiskey

#1 Post by BenW »

I was wondering if anyone else has faced this situation and what your potential remedies are...

- I purchased a pre-arrival allocated whiskey from a liquor store.
- According to the store: the state wide distributor was shorted by the national distributor; the state distributor in turn shorted them
- The store then fulfilled some of their orders but not mine (I know because my friend got his but I didn't)
- The bottles are available (pretty widely) at retail for 3x what I paid
- The store has asked for some time while they try to find a solution

Thoughts? Ideas?
B.Williams

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: Store shorted by distributor on allocated whiskey

#2 Post by Rodrigo B »

Supply chain issues happen and sometimes retailers don’t get all the inventory they forecasted.

Liquor stores can’t really go out to the liquor store next door and buy some of their inventory. By law, they usually have to purchase it through their distributors. So the fact that it’s available at other liquor stores doesn’t mean that they didn’t get shorted on their allocation. Also bear in mind it may be widely available a 3x the price in other places, because there's a lot fewer buyers at that price. Now if all of a sudden you see that whiskey being sold by the store that cancelled your order at a higher price, then that would certainly cause for raising the issue with them. If they’ve returned you your money and offered a sincere apology, there’s not really many remedies available. Maybe you can ask for a discount on a future order.

I’d also encourage you to do the following:
1. Keep in contact with the store. Sometimes they do manage to track down more bottles from their distributors and can get you the whiskey you want.
2. If you have other allocated whiskeys or wines your interested in purchasing from the store, try politely inquiring about them and asking to be prioritised higher on allocations going forward.
B r @ g @

BenW

#3 Post by BenW »

Your point about the other liquor stores is well taken. I only bring up the 3X price issue to give you some ballpark of the "damage", not that I expect that the store to buy it at that price for me or that it indicates they are being dishonest.

So far they have not offered to return my money (which they've now held for several months). I know that they essentially raffle a lot of other allocated stuff so I could ask for access to something there perhaps.
B.Williams

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4 Post by Rodrigo B »

BenW wrote: April 7th, 2021, 1:01 pm Your point about the other liquor stores is well taken. I only bring up the 3X price issue to give you some ballpark of the "damage", not that I expect that the store to buy it at that price for me or that it indicates they are being dishonest.
I understand. It’s very frustrating missing out on an opportunity to purchase a whiskey you want at an attractive price. Those are so elusive nowadays, the few you manage to get your hands on are treasures
So far they have not offered to return my money (which they've now held for several months). I know that they essentially raffle a lot of other allocated stuff so I could ask for access to something there perhaps.
I’d probably wait a few weeks on asking for your money back, many store genuinely continue to scramble and look for more bottles for their clients, and fingers crossed, maybe they track more down for you. Then if they still haven’t found a bottle or returned your money you can either ask for a full refund or ask for that money to be applied as credit for another purchase at their store, maybe trying for one of the other allocated bottles you mentioned the store has.

As always, try to be friendly and cordial as possible. The store’s employees are much more likely to go the extra mile for a friendly customers who have a good existing relationship with the store than ones who are confrontational and unfriendly.

Hopefully the situation works out in a manner that’s satisfactory you.
B r @ g @

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by alan weinberg »

first in line next year?

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Doug Schulman »

Rodrigo B wrote: April 7th, 2021, 1:23 pm
BenW wrote: April 7th, 2021, 1:01 pm Your point about the other liquor stores is well taken. I only bring up the 3X price issue to give you some ballpark of the "damage", not that I expect that the store to buy it at that price for me or that it indicates they are being dishonest.
I understand. It’s very frustrating missing out on an opportunity to purchase a whiskey you want at an attractive price. Those are so elusive nowadays, the few you manage to get your hands on are treasures
I’d probably wait a few weeks on asking for your money back, many store genuinely continue to scramble and look for more bottles for their clients, and fingers crossed, maybe they track more down for you. Then if they still haven’t found a bottle or returned your money you can either ask for a full refund or ask for that money to be applied as credit for another purchase at their store, maybe trying for one of the other allocated bottles you mentioned the store has.

As always, try to be friendly and cordial as possible. The store’s employees are much more likely to go the extra mile for a friendly customers who have a good existing relationship with the store than ones who are confrontational and unfriendly.

Hopefully the situation works out in a manner that’s satisfactory you.
This is all great advice. Keep in mind that this is a frustrating situation for the store as well. They would much rather have sold you the bottle than not. This sort of thing is not uncommon, unfortunately.

Brent C l a y t o n

#7 Post by Brent C l a y t o n »

lol check out the Premier Cru thread.

Shit happens. I'm sorry you didn't get your whiskey. This sort of thing can and does happen all the time. Also, they could have just as easily oversold their allocation. Either way, you can't really expect them to source it for you at aftermarket pricing.

They still haven't given you an answer about how to make you whole, give them some time and let us know what the outcome is.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Return to “Beer and Spirits”