Spirits Throwing off my CT Weights!

After years of waiting patiently in boxes in a corner of our wine cellar, our spirits collection has finally come out of hiding and been installed in our brand new custom-made cabinets!

During the unpacking process, we covered all the tops of unopened bottles with flexible paraffin wrap to guard against undue oxygen exchange. We also (and by “we” I really mean my husband Jonathan) put ALL the spirits in CellarTracker. For wine, this is not a big deal. For spirits, especially rare spirits, it is a huge task. Many items had to be created from scratch and, because he is a stickler for detail, each bottle received notes on purchase and provenance.

All of that is great, and now CT has a wealth of spirits, scotch in particular, information available for others to use. But all my familiar cellar percentages are now totally thrown off! The UK now shoves out Spain, Austria, Hungary, Belgium (beer), Portugal, and Australia. And I now have Ireland, West Indies, Trinidad & Tobago, Japan and Taiwan as newcomers.

This is going to take some getting used to… :wink:

I’ve thought about doing this. When do you mark it consumed? When opened or when empty? For me that can be many moons apart.

For sure! We recently finished a bottle my husband opened in college and that was…a while ago.

We went back and forth on this, and finally decided that when a bottle gets opened, we will change its location to one called “Open.” It’s still a part of our collection, just in process. Also, that way, we can easily pull up a list of everything we have open, which is especially useful when someone comes over - we can show that list and say “pick what you’d like.” It then gets marked as consumed when it’s finished.

I recommend when empty and use per-bottle notes to track your progress ala what we recommend for Coravin: Coravin™ Bottle Tracking - CellarTracker Support

Or Sarah’s use of the location or bin fields (which are also per bottle) can work if you are not already using those.

I put my whisky and ageable beers into CT. I wouldn’t be surprised if, sometime in the future, users will have the opportunity to exclude things/categories from Sorts/Reports.