Armagnac recs

A good friend is turning 50 and is a fan of Armagnac. I’d like to get him a really nice bottle. Budget is about $500. What would folks recommend? Something 50 years old would be a nice touch, but I don’t necessarily have my heart set on that. TIA!

Binny’s in the Chicago area has a very nice 1970 vintage armagnac for under $400. See https://www.binnys.com/dartigalongue-50-year-old-vintage-armagnac-101851.html

And their Armagnacs are among my favorites. Very traditional producer.

Dartigalongue is nice but I wouldn’t be a buyer at that price point; they tend to be too low proof for me and aren’t at the top level for Armagnac. I would be looking at the 1970 Laberdolive which can be found for less than 500, but not in the US. I would also much rather have the 1979 Laberdolive than the 1970 dartigalongue for 350.

Laberdolive or Domaine de Boingneres. Everything else is an also ran.

Sarah, any favorite vintages that are $300 or less (or $200)?

Thanks in advance.

The 89 is $219 at crush.

L’encantada has some very nice offerings. I’m fond of the lous pibous and la Freche bottlings.

Sorry, I have no idea of current pricing. I’m guessing the great old vintages are more than that.

79 is $350 or so; that was the first vintage made by Pierre Laberdolive

It’s a question of style, which to me is an important piece of info.

The issue I have with some producers is that they dilute their Armagnac to 40%.

Of course, I could dilute it myself, but I have a hard time drinking any liquor that is over 40%. Too overwhelming for my palate.

I have a hard time drinking any liquor that is over 40%. Too overwhelming for my palate. I could dilute it myself but I’ve not found that to work well. Luckily a friend of mine was happy to take all my opened Armagnac and Bourbon that didn’t appeal to me.

Works very well with cask strength scotch, but that is made with the intent of adding a wee bit of water.

1 Like

Saw a 1970 Duc de Loussac Bas Armagnac at Costco a couple days ago, marked down to $99.99. I know nothing about the producer.