Seattle PSA: Caol Ila 15 Year Unpeated for $68 AFTER TAXES!!!

Just a heads-up (and I’m posting this now, since I bought a few) for those in Seattle willing to make the trek over to West Seattle, the liquor store under the QFC at 42nd and Alaska is selling Caol Ila 15 Year Unpeated for $54 pre-tax, and about $68 out-the-door. I grabbed a few as that’s a $130 scotch (pre-tax). I had the checkout person verify the price and she said, “Yep. Good price!”

Has anyone had this. I love all other Caol Ila I’ve had, so I assume this will be solid.

Isn’t peat the entire point of Caol Ila? It would be like gin without juniper?

That’s a great price. Maybe a consequence of Josh’s point. Here is a review I found on it. Now, if only the West Seattle bridge was open…

I had a taste of unpeated Caol Ila back in 2012. I do not recall if it had an age statement. My very brief TN:
“Light Nose. Milky Way nougat on the palate. Wasn’t very impressed by this one.”

Hopefully you like yours more than I liked whatever it was I sampled.

That was my initial thought, but I decided to go for it based on the deal alone. Will come back with a TN eventually.

From the Caol Ila site:

Each year, Caol Ila distills a small run of completely unpeated whisky, and in 2014 Caol Ila released a 15 year old unpeated whisky as part of Diageo’s Special Edition Series. The whisky was distilled in 1998 and aged for 15 years in first-fill, ex-bourbon casks before being bottled at a robust 120.78 proof. The absence of peat gives the whisky a subtle aroma of toasted coconut, rum raisin ice cream, white chocolate and freshly baked bread, which leads to a malty palate filled with cereal, marshmallows and almonds. The finish is light and floral, with eucalyptus notes mingling with faint smoke and fruit cake.

Caol Ila 15 Year Old Unpeated Single Malt Scotch Whisky is limited to just 10,668 bottles, and received a perfect five stars from Difford’s Guide.

Brandon, A $14 tax on a $54 item? Is that correct?
[swoon.gif]

That is correct. Our prices aren’t great and the taxes are awful.

This reminded me of the opening of Annie Hall where Woody Allen discusses two elderly women at a Catskill mountain resort.

The first one says “Boy, the food at this place is really terrible.”

The other one says, “Yeah, I know; and such small portions.”

Anyhow, if it makes you feel better, taxes in Chicago are pretty bad too (though not THAT bad).

That was a part of the deal to move liquor out of state liquor stores and into private sales…groceries, Costco, etc.

We get taxed coming and going. Just ridiculous.