Hazy IPAs/New England IPAs

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Cody L

Hazy IPAs/New England IPAs

#1 Post by Cody L » June 19th, 2019, 11:31 am

Summer's about here, and the Hazy IPAs and more recently Hazy Pales are as popular as ever now.

What are some of your favorite Hazys?
Lyons
ITB

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Hazy IPAs/New England IPAs

#2 Post by ClarkstonMark » June 19th, 2019, 11:57 am

In Michigan, Old Nation Boss Tweed and M43 and some from HOMES

I'm interested if there is anything I can pick up in the OBX, heading there for a week Saturday. On my way back I may make a quick stop at Aslin to bring home if they have anything interesting.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Scott G r u n e r

#3 Post by Scott G r u n e r » June 19th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Fremont Head Full of Dynomite- though not the current release
Fremont Sky Kraken is decent for a regular release
Currently have a Pfriem on tap which is OK
Everything I have had from Fieldwork in Berkeley is great.
//Cynic

Matthew Brown

#4 Post by Matthew Brown » June 19th, 2019, 12:17 pm

ClarkstonMark wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 11:57 am
In Michigan, Old Nation Boss Tweed and M43 and some from HOMES

I'm interested if there is anything I can pick up in the OBX, heading there for a week Saturday. On my way back I may make a quick stop at Aslin to bring home if they have anything interesting.
Depending on how you're getting to OBX, you can hit up either/both Richmond and the Tidewater markets for some strong selections.
In Richmond, The Veil is of course most famous, but package selection at the brewery can be limited depending on the day you go there. Triple Crossing tends to do more package so should have more on hand day to day. Big fan of Ardent up and down their lineup, but usually do have 1-2 hazies on hand. Vasen is a new brewery more known for their Saisons but have recently packaged some NEIPAs. Both the last two are in Scotts Addition within walking distance of The Veil. I 'think' Basic City has an outpost near there as well now; very good brewery from the Valley and have a core of well regarded NEIPAs. Should be lots of package stores close by as well (if you pass through Charlottesville let me know...).
In Tidewater both Commonwealth and Benchtop have strong, constantly rotating selections, and should have good representation anywhere that has a good Virginia beer selection (not as familiar with the retail scene there), but both locations are kind of out of the way if you want to visit them directly on your way. Might be better to reach out to them and have them recommend a retailer and see what's on your way. Lots of other choices down there like Reaver Beach, O'Connor, Smartmouth, and more than a few smaller ones that don't leave the Bay area, but the first two are the most NEIPA-centric.
The Chav who mostly isn't.

Scott Tallman

#5 Post by Scott Tallman » June 19th, 2019, 12:29 pm

As someone who rarely liked British or west coast IPAs, I was excited to discover the style during a trip to Boston and Maine in summer 2015 (Trilium, Treehouse, Bissell Brothers) and a visit to NY in 2016 (Other Half). Took awhile after the style to take off here, but have found most PNW takes to either be overly sweet or too much like pure juice for my liking. Really wish I had better access to the hazies from east coast (and Maine Beer Company hoppy beers)

Some of the west coast breweries whose hazies I’ve enjoyed:

- Great Notion (although I’ve not enjoyed what I’ve tried over last year or so, perhaps expansion is impacting quality or my palate changed?)
- Holy Mountain Lush Land, Astral Projection, and Spirit Crusher
- Structures Fuzz and few others whose names escape me
- Ruse Dial M for Mosaic and a few others whose names escape me
- Ferment Hazy IPA
- Fremont Sky Kraken (like Scott G said, not mind blowing or great, but solid year-round effort)
- Cellarmaker (can’t recall names of beers)
- Revision (can’t recall names)
- Anchorage Patterns (both DIPA and TIPA versions)
- Monkish Meatballs
Last edited by Scott Tallman on June 20th, 2019, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Dennis Atick

#6 Post by Dennis Atick » June 19th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Treehouse
@decaturwinedude

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Thomas Keim » June 19th, 2019, 2:47 pm

BLACKSTACK BREWING - Saint Paul, MN
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Mark Y » June 19th, 2019, 3:00 pm

Treehouse is the pinnacle of NEIPA in my view.

Trillium is good
Great Notion from Portland is solid
Hill Farmstead had a couple i liked as well.
Y.e.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Jim Stewart » June 19th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Agree with Mark on the Treehouse and Trillium as part of the early wave of NEIPA and still stellar, but nowadays you can find very good examples everywhere being made by talented brewmasters. Had a few examples of NEIPA/Hazy this past winter at Point Ybel Brewing in Ft Myers FL. "Island Haze" was one of them and it was well beyond decent. Jordan the beer designer/maker makes a lot of nice beers down there in a wide variety of styles.
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

JulianD

#10 Post by JulianD » June 19th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Modern Times if youre in LA
Davies

BRhoades

#11 Post by BRhoades » June 19th, 2019, 4:55 pm

JulianD wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 3:59 pm
Looks like he's in Oregon so he has a MT locally, and I agree, outside Monkish, MT is my favorite west coast haze producer. If I were to list my favorites overall it could well take up a page or two ! champagne.gif

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on June 19th, 2019, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It aint wine all the time

BRhoades

#12 Post by BRhoades » June 19th, 2019, 5:07 pm

This should be available at the Modern Times PDX location, this was part of the June on line but unsold cans are now available for the general public to purchase, this is a tasty collab they brewed with Holy Mountain.

Cheers,

Bud

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#13 Post by Jorge Henriquez » June 20th, 2019, 4:32 am

Had a delicious NEIPA from Springdale (Jack’s Abbey’s ale project) called So Anyway. Deliciously complex with an almost savory-like note to it. Try to find it.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Mike Cohen

#14 Post by Mike Cohen » June 20th, 2019, 7:42 am

I'm not much of a beer drinker. However, I spend a lot of time in Vermont (especially during ski season) and when I'm up there it's all I drink.

Over the past few years, I've come to find that I enjoy the hazy pale ales the most. Reason being that they are not as bitter and they are typically much lower in alcohol (although that is not a firm rule). There are plenty of IPA's and DIPA's that I enjoy a lot too, but when I can find them I prefer the Pale Ales.

My fav's:

Frost - Really Pale Ale
Upper Pass - First Drop
Fiddlehead - Rarified Air
Hillfarmstead - Edward
Hillfarmstead - Susan (I know that Susan is an IPA, but a lower alcohol version)

Mel Hill

#15 Post by Mel Hill » June 20th, 2019, 7:48 am

In Colorado I'd suggest looking for cans or draught beers from

Weldworks
Outer Range
Cerebral
New Image
4 Noses

Cody L

#16 Post by Cody L » June 20th, 2019, 9:13 am

BRhoades wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 4:55 pm
JulianD wrote:
Looks like he's in Oregon so he has a MT locally, and I agree, outside Monkish, MT is my favorite west coast haze producer. If I were to list my favorites overall it could well take up a page or two ! champagne.gif

Cheers,

Bud
Recently had that Orderville from Modern Times, and it was stellar. Always a good choice.
Lyons
ITB

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 20th, 2019, 9:27 am

BRhoades wrote:
JulianD wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
+1 on going to the local MT in Portland. Beer selection at the brewery is exponentially more (and generally better) than what you’ll find in shelves. Laser in on their collabs and Crowler up on other stuff. I could have used a shopping cart the last time I was there.

Current HFoD (v11) is mediocre, as noted above, but usually pretty good. Have really enjoyed the Ft George Crysknife that’s out currently.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » June 20th, 2019, 10:09 am

It's hard to keep track. So many options in NYC. Usually I just make the rounds to my trusted beer shops, try a few new things on draft and pluck some cans to go.

If you look at the general beer thread, I just loaded up on Root + Branch.

Some regular go to's:
Other Half
Finback
Hudson Valley (sour IPA's, mostly hazy)
Threes
Sloop
Hoof Hearted
Interboro
KCBC
Torch & Crown
Grimm
Mikkeller
Evil Twin
Fat Orange Cat
Greenpoint
Singlecut
LIC

not local but in NYC market:
Toppling Goliath
Melvin
Foley Brothers
Hill Farmstead

Picking up on my next Boston run in 2 weeks:
Treehouse
Trillium
Aeronaut
Night Shift
will see what else is new up there

It's hard to list individual beers due to the volume of new releases happening on the regular. I just buy whatever is fresh and roll with it.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Ed Gonzales
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Ed Gonzales » June 20th, 2019, 11:24 am

i have to give kudos to trillium, treehouse, etc. who may have started the craze, but imo their western brethren like monkish, modern times, fieldwork, and now moonraker (out of auburn, ca), maybe moksa (rocklin near sacramento) has been making better hazy ipas imho.

cheers!
ed s @ n

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by James Lyon » June 20th, 2019, 11:35 am

Heist - Citraquench'l, Blurred is the Word, MO-J

Per Scott T.'s post, Revision makes Disco Ninja which is currently available at my local watering hole. It's good, but not quite the level of the Heist beers.

Mike Cohen

#21 Post by Mike Cohen » June 20th, 2019, 11:42 am

Ed Gonzales wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 11:24 am
i have to give kudos to trillium, treehouse, etc. who may have started the craze, but imo their western brethren like monkish, modern times, fieldwork, and now moonraker (out of auburn, ca), maybe moksa (rocklin near sacramento) has been making better hazy ipas imho.

cheers!
I'm not up on the history...did the haze craze start with Trillium and Treehouse or did it start up in VT with the Alchemist and the likes?

Ed Gonzales
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Ed Gonzales » June 20th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Mike Cohen wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 11:42 am
Ed Gonzales wrote:

cheers!
I'm not up on the history...did the haze craze start with Trillium and Treehouse or did it start up in VT with the Alchemist and the likes?
not sure either.
ed s @ n

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#23 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 20th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Thomas Keim wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 2:47 pm
Is this avail. in stores? I'll be in MN for a week very soon, and would seek it out if I can get it at a Total Wine, or something.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Cody L

#24 Post by Cody L » June 20th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Mike Cohen wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 7:42 am
I'm not much of a beer drinker. However, I spend a lot of time in Vermont (especially during ski season) and when I'm up there it's all I drink.

Over the past few years, I've come to find that I enjoy the hazy pale ales the most. Reason being that they are not as bitter and they are typically much lower in alcohol (although that is not a firm rule). There are plenty of IPA's and DIPA's that I enjoy a lot too, but when I can find them I prefer the Pale Ales.

My fav's:

Frost - Really Pale Ale
Upper Pass - First Drop
Fiddlehead - Rarified Air
Hillfarmstead - Edward
Hillfarmstead - Susan (I know that Susan is an IPA, but a lower alcohol version)
I agree, some of the Hazy Pales with less ABV are quite good. A local one right now out of Astoria, OR that's stellar is the Fort George City of Dreams.
Lyons
ITB

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Thomas Keim » June 20th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 12:44 pm
Thomas Keim wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 2:47 pm
Is this avail. in stores? I'll be in MN for a week very soon, and would seek it out if I can get it at a Total Wine, or something.
you won't find it in Total Wine - they stay away from them - mainly smaller stores - check their website, their '755' Hazy IPA is the best IPA I have had in quite a few years - and if you are around - stop by my brewery - Yoerg's Brewing Company - 378 Maria in Saint Paul -

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#26 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 20th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Cool. Thanks, Thomas.

I'd love to stop by your brewery, but not sure it's going to happen this visit. We get in late on a night, then drive up to Paynesville the next morning, where I'll be spending the following week. We then drive back to the cities for a cousin's wedding, then back to CA the next day. My only *possibly* opportunity is the day of my cousin's wedding, but I bet all the timing is too tight. That said, this year is a MN Thanksgiving year, so perhaps at that time. :)
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Dave H. » June 20th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 2:44 pm
Cool. Thanks, Thomas.

I'd love to stop by your brewery, but not sure it's going to happen this visit. We get in late on a night, then drive up to Paynesville the next morning, where I'll be spending the following week. We then drive back to the cities for a cousin's wedding, then back to CA the next day. My only *possibly* opportunity is the day of my cousin's wedding, but I bet all the timing is too tight. That said, this year is a MN Thanksgiving year, so perhaps at that time. :)
Headed to Minneapolis in August and am trying to scout out some haze. Is Blackstack where it’s at?
Also co-sign the Richmond, Virginia, recs above. When The Veil and Triple Crossings hit—and their success rate is high—it’s as good anything I’ve had in the genre.
Hendrik

BRhoades

#28 Post by BRhoades » June 20th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Ed Gonzales wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 12:37 pm
Mike Cohen wrote:
Ed Gonzales wrote:

cheers!
not sure either.
John Kimmich is commonly referred to as the originator of the hazy NE styled IPA/DIPA with the introduction of The Alchemists' Heady Topper way back in 2003, long before Trillium or Treehouse started brewing commercially.

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#29 Post by BRhoades » June 20th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 10:09 am
It's hard to keep track. So many options in NYC. Usually I just make the rounds to my trusted beer shops, try a few new things on draft and pluck some cans to go.

If you look at the general beer thread, I just loaded up on Root + Branch.

Some regular go to's:
Other Half
Finback
Hudson Valley (sour IPA's, mostly hazy)
Threes
Sloop
Hoof Hearted
Interboro
KCBC
Torch & Crown
Grimm
Mikkeller
Evil Twin
Fat Orange Cat
Greenpoint
Singlecut
LIC

not local but in NYC market:
Toppling Goliath
Melvin
Foley Brothers
Hill Farmstead

Picking up on my next Boston run in 2 weeks:
Treehouse
Trillium
Aeronaut
Night Shift
will see what else is new up there

It's hard to list individual beers due to the volume of new releases happening on the regular. I just buy whatever is fresh and roll with it.
Interesting that none of you east coast NE-centric hop heads haven't mentioned New Park Brewing out of West Hartford CT. I had a taste of a few of their amazing beers last night that included Double Cloud with our tasting/share group that completey blew me away, one of the most amazing mouth feels on a beer I've ever tasted, the beer overall is probably one of the best NE styled DIPA's Ive had this year. I'm on the hunt now for these guys, otherworldly.

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#30 Post by BRhoades » June 20th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Cody L wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 9:13 am
BRhoades wrote:
JulianD wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
Recently had that Orderville from Modern Times, and it was stellar. Always a good choice.
Cody, the new batch of Critical Band should be available in Portland now as well, great hazy shelfy QPR.

Cheers,

Bud

Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Terry H a r r i s » June 20th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Mel Hill wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 7:48 am

Weldworks
Outer Range
Cerebral
New Image
4 Noses
Agree. I haven't tried either Outer Range or Cerebral, but will look for them my next ale run. Weldworks is killing it. [drinks.gif]
His wife told a 911 operator that she used a pruner "good for pruning roses" and that James's bleeding wasn't enough to create the "sign of the cross, or write sinner" . . . .

Oh, and I pay money to those ITB

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by T. Melloni » June 20th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Mike Cohen wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 7:42 am

My fav's:

Frost - Really Pale Ale
Upper Pass - First Drop
Hillfarmstead - Edward
Hillfarmstead - Susan ....
Good choices.
Tree House mentioned above is among the top. Wonderful hazy IPAs, each with a unique flavor profile. Some lean tropical, others more stone fruit, and some heavy grapefruit/citrus notes.

Lawson's SugarHouse IPA is alo a good hazy IPA but clocks in at 6.2% so a little lighter than many others.
The Alchemist's Heady Topper is still excellent, if fresh.
For Fiddlehead, I prefer Second Fiddle to Rareified Air. Fuller body.
Tho m@s (sometimes); You can call me T.

Cody L

#33 Post by Cody L » June 21st, 2019, 8:09 am

BRhoades wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 7:07 pm
Cody L wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 9:13 am
BRhoades wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
Cody, the new batch of Critical Band should be available in Portland now as well, great hazy shelfy QPR.

Cheers,

Bud
Thanks Bud. Will have to look out for it!
Lyons
ITB

Michael Klein

#34 Post by Michael Klein » June 21st, 2019, 8:24 am

If in Chicago....

- Hop Butcher
- Phase 3
- Corridor
- MORE
- Pipeworks
- Hubbard's Cave
- Maplewood

Those would be my top tier producers. Loving what is being made here in Chicago these days.

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » June 21st, 2019, 9:37 am

Edson,

I think the consensus would be that Heady Topper is the 'OG' Hazy IPA and 10-12 years ago they were the only game in town. Little by little that has changed.

I wouldn't argue that the west coast stuff is better as any Monkish I've had has been amazing. I'm not really into cross country trading as I question whether the shipping impacts beer quality, and sadly I don't get out your way much.

The smart thing to do is Drink Local!

Bud,

You are correct, I mistakenly left out New Park. They are awesome. I've been there twice, but not this year. CT had some stupid laws that only allowed you to pick up something like 16 cans and a growler to go, so a 3-4 hr round trip from NYC never really made sense. They just expanded the limits, and I will stop there on my way to/from Boston in a couple weeks. Love the fruit beers and they have amazing hazy IPA's.

Another along the same lines is Imprint in Bucks County PA. A friend is about 15min away in Doylestown, and it's a mandatory stop for me now when I visit him. Will be there next weekend to trade some Root + Branch.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

BRhoades

#36 Post by BRhoades » June 21st, 2019, 11:41 am

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 9:37 am
Edson,

I think the consensus would be that Heady Topper is the 'OG' Hazy IPA and 10-12 years ago they were the only game in town. Little by little that has changed.

I wouldn't argue that the west coast stuff is better as any Monkish I've had has been amazing. I'm not really into cross country trading as I question whether the shipping impacts beer quality, and sadly I don't get out your way much.

The smart thing to do is Drink Local!

Bud,

You are correct, I mistakenly left out New Park. They are awesome. I've been there twice, but not this year. CT had some stupid laws that only allowed you to pick up something like 16 cans and a growler to go, so a 3-4 hr round trip from NYC never really made sense. They just expanded the limits, and I will stop there on my way to/from Boston in a couple weeks. Love the fruit beers and they have amazing hazy IPA's.

Another along the same lines is Imprint in Bucks County PA. A friend is about 15min away in Doylestown, and it's a mandatory stop for me now when I visit him. Will be there next weekend to trade some Root + Branch.
You are lucky to be close to New Park Brent, what I had completely knocked my socks off, anytime you need some good ol west coast haze and have a few extras don't hesitate to PM me !

Cheers,

Bud

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Thomas Keim » June 21st, 2019, 1:30 pm

Dave H. wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Headed to Minneapolis in August and am trying to scout out some haze. Is Blackstack where it’s at?
Without a doubt -

BRhoades

#38 Post by BRhoades » June 21st, 2019, 4:23 pm

Thomas Keim wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 1:30 pm
Dave H. wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Without a doubt -
I received a can of their 2 On back in January and I thought for a big TIPA it was really well constructed and very tasty, I would love to taste more of their portfolio.

Cheers,

Bud

bscott

#39 Post by bscott » June 21st, 2019, 6:00 pm

Moonraker
Brian

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » June 21st, 2019, 7:19 pm

[berserker.gif] [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif]
Attachments
movies-richard-kiel-roger-moore-together-6.jpg
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#41 Post by Robert M yers » June 22nd, 2019, 4:34 am

BRhoades wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 5:51 pm
Ed Gonzales wrote:
Mike Cohen wrote:

not sure either.
John Kimmich is commonly referred to as the originator of the hazy NE styled IPA/DIPA with the introduction of The Alchemists' Heady Topper way back in 2003, long before Trillium or Treehouse started brewing commercially.

Cheers,

Bud
Didn’t he think it was a flaw at the time though, which is why the can directs you to drink from it rather than pouring it. I’ve read several explanations over the years but that always seemed reasonable since it was odd for the time.

Mel Hill

#42 Post by Mel Hill » June 23rd, 2019, 7:45 am

Terry H a r r i s wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 8:14 pm
Mel Hill wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 7:48 am

Weldworks
Outer Range
Cerebral
New Image
4 Noses
Agree. I haven't tried either Outer Range or Cerebral, but will look for them my next ale run. Weldworks is killing it. [drinks.gif]
I’ve only purchased them at the brewery, I don’t think either distributor their cans.

Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Terry H a r r i s » June 23rd, 2019, 9:28 am

[thumbs-up.gif]
His wife told a 911 operator that she used a pruner "good for pruning roses" and that James's bleeding wasn't enough to create the "sign of the cross, or write sinner" . . . .

Oh, and I pay money to those ITB

BRhoades

#44 Post by BRhoades » June 23rd, 2019, 2:52 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 4:34 am
BRhoades wrote:
Ed Gonzales wrote:

not sure either.

Cheers,

Bud
Didn’t he think it was a flaw at the time though, which is why the can directs you to drink from it rather than pouring it. I’ve read several explanations over the years but that always seemed reasonable since it was odd for the time.
I always ignore that recommendation and pour it in a glass, floaties and all !

Cheers,

Bud

Brian Lynch

#45 Post by Brian Lynch » June 24th, 2019, 6:23 pm

My faves from the Mid-Atlantic to New England are, in wine speak

Fruit Forward

Tree House (Ma)
Other Half (Brooklyn)
New Park (ct)
Tired Hands PA (New Zealand Hop Styles)
Industrial Arts Wrench (Brooklyn)

More Structured

Trillium (MA)
Alchemist (VT)
Tired Hands (Mosaic based hop DIPAs)
Maine
SingleCut (Queens)

Andrew M

#46 Post by Andrew M » July 9th, 2019, 9:32 am

Going out on a limb here... I have unlimited access to what some would consider the best NE IPAs in the mid Atlantic (Veil, Triple Crossing, Aslin) and would be interested in trades for NE (treehouse) or preferably wine, for anyone who’s trying to free up space in the cellar. PM if interested.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç h

Scott Butler

#47 Post by Scott Butler » July 10th, 2019, 10:29 am

At my local brewery last week, and the server was wearing what looked to be a MAGA hat, but the words instead said "Make IPA's Clear Again"...pretty funny.

She admitted she liked the hazy ones as well, but the hat was too funny to pass up.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan
ITB

Mike Cohen

#48 Post by Mike Cohen » July 10th, 2019, 12:02 pm

T. Melloni wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 10:00 pm

For Fiddlehead, I prefer Second Fiddle to Rareified Air. Fuller body.
Love Second Fiddle. Love the Fiddlehead IPA even more. But Rarified Air hits a sweet spot for me with regard to alcohol content.

Second Fiddle - 8.2%
Fiddlehead IPA - 6.2%
Rarified Air - 5%

My scenario is that I'm having a beer Apres Ski and after two Second Fiddle's or Heady Topper's I could be a bit trashed and ready for bed at 6pm. And after two Rarified Air's I'm all good.

Mike Cohen

#49 Post by Mike Cohen » July 10th, 2019, 12:07 pm

BRhoades wrote:
June 23rd, 2019, 2:52 pm
Robert M yers wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 4:34 am
BRhoades wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
I always ignore that recommendation and pour it in a glass, floaties and all !

Cheers,

Bud
I'm about 75/25 negative/positive on the floaties thing. More often than not, it turns me off. I remember drinking a Burlington Beer Company pale ale called Elaborate Metaphor last summer that basically had a layer of sludge that came out of the bottom of the can. I have trouble getting past that.

Matthew Brown

#50 Post by Matthew Brown » July 10th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Don't blame you in the slightest. One of the arguments for drinking them fresher is as much about the appearance/texture as it is about flavor IMHO. The longer they sit the more the detrius can settle out and coagulate. I've had some NEIIPA I like better flavor-wise after 6-8 weeks, as long as they haven't gotten too chunky.

Unfiltered IPAs are not so uncommon in craft beer history, but usually was one of the first things to disappear once the brewery started to distribute over a larger area. I remember some 1997 era Lagunitas IPA (as I put on my TomHill hat) that were absolutely chunky when I first visited. The New England type of hazy also seems to have come about as breweries have pushed to the more floral types of hops and started adding more wheat and oats into the malt to lighten the weight.
The Chav who mostly isn't.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”