Hazy IPAs/New England IPAs

Summer’s about here, and the Hazy IPAs and more recently Hazy Pales are as popular as ever now.

What are some of your favorite Hazys?

In Michigan, Old Nation Boss Tweed and M43 and some from HOMES

I’m interested if there is anything I can pick up in the OBX, heading there for a week Saturday. On my way back I may make a quick stop at Aslin to bring home if they have anything interesting.

Fremont Head Full of Dynomite- though not the current release
Fremont Sky Kraken is decent for a regular release
Currently have a Pfriem on tap which is OK
Everything I have had from Fieldwork in Berkeley is great.

Depending on how you’re getting to OBX, you can hit up either/both Richmond and the Tidewater markets for some strong selections.
In Richmond, The Veil is of course most famous, but package selection at the brewery can be limited depending on the day you go there. Triple Crossing tends to do more package so should have more on hand day to day. Big fan of Ardent up and down their lineup, but usually do have 1-2 hazies on hand. Vasen is a new brewery more known for their Saisons but have recently packaged some NEIPAs. Both the last two are in Scotts Addition within walking distance of The Veil. I ‘think’ Basic City has an outpost near there as well now; very good brewery from the Valley and have a core of well regarded NEIPAs. Should be lots of package stores close by as well (if you pass through Charlottesville let me know…).
In Tidewater both Commonwealth and Benchtop have strong, constantly rotating selections, and should have good representation anywhere that has a good Virginia beer selection (not as familiar with the retail scene there), but both locations are kind of out of the way if you want to visit them directly on your way. Might be better to reach out to them and have them recommend a retailer and see what’s on your way. Lots of other choices down there like Reaver Beach, O’Connor, Smartmouth, and more than a few smaller ones that don’t leave the Bay area, but the first two are the most NEIPA-centric.

As someone who rarely liked British or west coast IPAs, I was excited to discover the style during a trip to Boston and Maine in summer 2015 (Trilium, Treehouse, Bissell Brothers) and a visit to NY in 2016 (Other Half). Took awhile after the style to take off here, but have found most PNW takes to either be overly sweet or too much like pure juice for my liking. Really wish I had better access to the hazies from east coast (and Maine Beer Company hoppy beers)

Some of the west coast breweries whose hazies I’ve enjoyed:

• Great Notion (although I’ve not enjoyed what I’ve tried over last year or so, perhaps expansion is impacting quality or my palate changed?)
  • Holy Mountain Lush Land, Astral Projection, and Spirit Crusher
  • Structures Fuzz and few others whose names escape me
  • Ruse Dial M for Mosaic and a few others whose names escape me
  • Ferment Hazy IPA
  • Fremont Sky Kraken (like Scott G said, not mind blowing or great, but solid year-round effort)
  • Cellarmaker (can’t recall names of beers)
  • Revision (can’t recall names)
  • Anchorage Patterns (both DIPA and TIPA versions)
  • Monkish Meatballs

Treehouse

BLACKSTACK BREWING - Saint Paul, MN

Treehouse is the pinnacle of NEIPA in my view.

Trillium is good
Great Notion from Portland is solid
Hill Farmstead had a couple i liked as well.

Agree with Mark on the Treehouse and Trillium as part of the early wave of NEIPA and still stellar, but nowadays you can find very good examples everywhere being made by talented brewmasters. Had a few examples of NEIPA/Hazy this past winter at Point Ybel Brewing in Ft Myers FL. “Island Haze” was one of them and it was well beyond decent. Jordan the beer designer/maker makes a lot of nice beers down there in a wide variety of styles.

Modern Times if youre in LA

Looks like he’s in Oregon so he has a MT locally, and I agree, outside Monkish, MT is my favorite west coast haze producer. If I were to list my favorites overall it could well take up a page or two ! champagne.gif

Cheers,

Bud

This should be available at the Modern Times PDX location, this was part of the June on line but unsold cans are now available for the general public to purchase, this is a tasty collab they brewed with Holy Mountain.

Cheers,

Bud

Had a delicious NEIPA from Springdale (Jack’s Abbey’s ale project) called So Anyway. Deliciously complex with an almost savory-like note to it. Try to find it.

I’m not much of a beer drinker. However, I spend a lot of time in Vermont (especially during ski season) and when I’m up there it’s all I drink.

Over the past few years, I’ve come to find that I enjoy the hazy pale ales the most. Reason being that they are not as bitter and they are typically much lower in alcohol (although that is not a firm rule). There are plenty of IPA’s and DIPA’s that I enjoy a lot too, but when I can find them I prefer the Pale Ales.

My fav’s:

Frost - Really Pale Ale
Upper Pass - First Drop
Fiddlehead - Rarified Air
Hillfarmstead - Edward
Hillfarmstead - Susan (I know that Susan is an IPA, but a lower alcohol version)

In Colorado I’d suggest looking for cans or draught beers from

Weldworks
Outer Range
Cerebral
New Image
4 Noses

Recently had that Orderville from Modern Times, and it was stellar. Always a good choice.

+1 on going to the local MT in Portland. Beer selection at the brewery is exponentially more (and generally better) than what you’ll find in shelves. Laser in on their collabs and Crowler up on other stuff. I could have used a shopping cart the last time I was there.

Current HFoD (v11) is mediocre, as noted above, but usually pretty good. Have really enjoyed the Ft George Crysknife that’s out currently.

It’s hard to keep track. So many options in NYC. Usually I just make the rounds to my trusted beer shops, try a few new things on draft and pluck some cans to go.

If you look at the general beer thread, I just loaded up on Root + Branch.

Some regular go to’s:
Other Half
Finback
Hudson Valley (sour IPA’s, mostly hazy)
Threes
Sloop
Hoof Hearted
Interboro
KCBC
Torch & Crown
Grimm
Mikkeller
Evil Twin
Fat Orange Cat
Greenpoint
Singlecut
LIC

not local but in NYC market:
Toppling Goliath
Melvin
Foley Brothers
Hill Farmstead

Picking up on my next Boston run in 2 weeks:
Treehouse
Trillium
Aeronaut
Night Shift
will see what else is new up there

It’s hard to list individual beers due to the volume of new releases happening on the regular. I just buy whatever is fresh and roll with it.

i have to give kudos to trillium, treehouse, etc. who may have started the craze, but imo their western brethren like monkish, modern times, fieldwork, and now moonraker (out of auburn, ca), maybe moksa (rocklin near sacramento) has been making better hazy ipas imho.

cheers!

Heist - Citraquench’l, Blurred is the Word, MO-J

Per Scott T.'s post, Revision makes Disco Ninja which is currently available at my local watering hole. It’s good, but not quite the level of the Heist beers.