LA beer help

Any can’t miss places beside Monkish and MT ? Will be there next weekend
Thanks!

Mike, your starting with two great breweries that shouldn’t be missed with MT and Monkish.MT is in DTLA so I would recommend a couple other’s that are close by since your there. Highland Park Brewing has a DTLA location in China Town, fantastic beers and cool pub food. Also in DTLA is Mumford, really good beers as well and there is a Mikkeller outpost close by MT on the same street, Olive. Monkish is in Torrance, or as we call it the South Bay area, you can take the 110 fwy right out of DTLA and be at Monkish in about 45 minutes depending on traffic. You can do Monkish, jump in the car and drive down the 110 fwy 15 minutes and visit Brouwerji West in San Pedro, beautiful brewery that overlooks the San Pedro waterfront. After Brouwerji West continue over the Vincent Thomas Bridge for 15 minutes and make a bee-line for Beachwood Brewing in downtown Long Beach, an iconic brewery that features dozens of world class beers and fantastic BBQ, their wild ale/ sour division called The Blendery is right around the corner and shouldn’t be missed. All of the above breweries have bottles and cans to go other than Monkish who’s can releases are announced the day of and usually sell out in just a few hours, they always have a great selection of their highly sought after IPA/DIPAs on tap and for growler fills to go. If there are other area’s you want to explore shoot me a PM and I can help you customize an itinerary based on time and geographic regions. Remember it’s LA traffic so 15 miles could take and hour to cover in traffic. On the west side there is Firestone Walker in Venice and 30 minutes south is El Segundo Brewing Co.

Cheers,

Bud

Bottle logic? Firestone walker?

I was thinking about BL but it’s out in Anaheim which is quite a haul from the LA/South Bay area where Mike wants to visit MT and Monkish,other than the Bruery, there is really nothing else out that way that justifies that insane drive.

Cheers,

Bud

cool! is MT really worth it? will have to check it out. going in late June and for sure hitting Monk

Thanks for the great recos.We will be staying in Westwood Memorial Day weekend so we should have plenty of time
to hit most if not all.

Absolutey Mark, MT is just killing it with everything they do, world class on every level.

Cheers,

Bud

Wait, what is MT? i thought modern times, and turns out that’s in Oregon… lol

It is Modern Times, they have several locations. Portland, LA, three in the San Diego area (started here). As Bud says these guys are on point and highly recommended.

If i was gonna go to one brewery in the downtown LA area it’d be highland park brewery. Their variety is excellent.

Cool… good to know. what are they known for? haze? sour? stout?

lil bit of everything. But i’d say their hazy stuff is their weakest.

If you go to Monkish you can also easily pop over to Smog City.

Jason

Any love for Mumford?

What Charlie wrote above. Went out to LA for a Mods’ weekend last year and we hit up Monkish, Modern Times Downtown Dojo & Highland Park Hermosillo all in one day. Highland Park was my favorite by a good stretch. Went to the new Chinatown location earlier this year and still prefer the Hermosillo location.

Mumford is good, not on the Highland Park, Modern Times levels.

Cheers,

Bud

There is something special about the OG location in Highland Park Jorge, it’s such a beautifully unique old building.

Cheers,

Bud

El Segundo Brewing Co. is definitely worth a stop. Rock 'n Brews across the street is a perfectly acceptable place to eat, as long as you’re not a snobby foodie.

Beachwood has fantastic beers, and I highly recommend them, too. Again, as long as you’re not one of those people who are picky as all hell, this is a great place to eat, too.

MT & Monkish… yes yes yes.

Mikkeller beer bar is only a couple blocks from MT, and is definitely worth a stop.

I haven’t been to HPB or Mumford, so can’t personally vouch.

Next tier:
Brouwerij West
Three Weavers
Smog City
King Harbor

Don’t bother:
Strand Brewing (fwiw, my wife does like this place, and she does have a learned palate)
Scholb
Absolution
Golden Road Brewing
The Dudes Brewing Co.

… will edit if anything else occurs to me

Mike, since I posted Brouwerij West just announced a special can release today in collaboration with Great Notion, it’s a DIPA called Time Bandits, $18 per four pack, another reason to drop by after you visit Monkish, it’s literally 15 minutes south. Beachwood just announced they are releasing for the 1st time ever this Saturday the 25th, their amazing hype justified DIPA called Greenshift in 16oz 4 pack cans @ 15.99 per, some classic west coast, I.E clear ! juice for you to take back home. So there is your world class trilogy, Monkish, Brouwerij West and Beachwood all within 30 minutes of each other. Some great things happening this weekend craft beer wise to help off-set the cold wet weather forecasted for Saturday and Sunday here is So Cal. Yea, hard for us to get our heads around this freaky weather, hail, thunder and lighting and heavy rain today, never seen anything like it and I’m a So Cal lifer. Hey Friday and Monday should be perfect !!

Cheers,

Bud

Thanks Bud, I will report back [cheers.gif]