Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Matthew Brown
Posts: 5544
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 10:03 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA/ITB

Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#1 Post by Matthew Brown » March 15th, 2019, 10:19 am

IMG_3413.JPG
I initially was going to pass on the preorder for this, but I like the brewery and give everything a chance.

One month of Insta-hype later, and I could flip this case easily on the sly for $1,000 online. And this is with many reports that the beer is 'just OK'. [swoon.gif]
The Chav who mostly isn't.

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 2628
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#2 Post by ERPark » March 15th, 2019, 10:36 am

When I learned awhile back what aficionados were paying for certain Toppling Goliath stouts, I was literally gobsmacked.

Then again, it’s like Jordans/Nikes or Yeezys. Doesn’t really impact the far majority of folks.....
GEN3

User avatar
Matthew Brown
Posts: 5544
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 10:03 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA/ITB

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#3 Post by Matthew Brown » March 15th, 2019, 10:50 am

ERPark wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:36 am
When I learned awhile back what aficionados were paying for certain Toppling Goliath stouts, I was literally gobsmacked.

Then again, it’s like Jordans/Nikes or Yeezys. Doesn’t really impact the far majority of folks.....
Yeezys don't have a 10 week shelf life, either....
The Chav who mostly isn't.

User avatar
Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3702
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:13 am
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#4 Post by Rick Allen » March 15th, 2019, 11:01 am

Scarcity is an amazing thing.

User avatar
Matthew Brown
Posts: 5544
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 10:03 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA/ITB

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#5 Post by Matthew Brown » March 15th, 2019, 11:07 am

Rick Allen wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:01 am
Scarcity is an amazing thing.
No less scarce than any of their other pint can releases that we sold for $12.99/4pack, which were all better beers I was willing to sell. This is purely the mewling hoards following Instagram hype.
The Chav who mostly isn't.

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 25997
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#6 Post by Corey N. » March 15th, 2019, 11:58 am

Matthew Brown wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:07 am
This is purely the mewling hoards following Instagram hype.
That Shenandoah Valley education is really paying off.
Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Paul Luckin
Posts: 6551
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 2:58 pm
Location: Kenwood, CA

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#7 Post by Paul Luckin » March 15th, 2019, 11:59 am

Corey N. wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:58 am
Matthew Brown wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:07 am
This is purely the mewling hoards following Instagram hype.
That Shenandoah Valley education is really paying off.
::likebutton::
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB

User avatar
Matthew Brown
Posts: 5544
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 10:03 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA/ITB

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#8 Post by Matthew Brown » March 15th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Corey N. wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:58 am
Matthew Brown wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:07 am
This is purely the mewling hoards following Instagram hype.
That Shenandoah Valley education is really paying off.
Sorry.

Peoplez be crazee. #nofilter
The Chav who mostly isn't.

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3064
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#9 Post by Scott G r u n e r » March 15th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Sell sell sell
//Cynic

User avatar
Matthew Brown
Posts: 5544
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 10:03 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA/ITB

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#10 Post by Matthew Brown » March 15th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 8:12 pm
Sell sell sell

The Chav who mostly isn't.

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1654
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#11 Post by Robert M yers » March 15th, 2019, 10:22 pm

Sell that ASAP, there’s always a better beer around the corner and you won’t miss it one bit. It’s all about bragging rights on the label with beer not much about what’s in the bottle.

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2206
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#12 Post by BRhoades » March 19th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Matthew Brown wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:19 am
IMG_3413.JPG
I initially was going to pass on the preorder for this, but I like the brewery and give everything a chance.

One month of Insta-hype later, and I could flip this case easily on the sly for $1,000 online. And this is with many reports that the beer is 'just OK'. [swoon.gif]
Bottles of 3 Chiefs pastry stouts ( FAHA mostly ) are going for upwards of $750 per 750ml bottle. INSANITY. Saturday at the Monkish anniveray party they had one case of Side Projects BBT, one 2oz pour, people arrived 4-5 hours early so they could secure a 2oz pour of the 90 or so pours avaialable. When I mentioned that I had a few bottles of the 2018 BBT at home I had at least 10 serious offers of $ 300-400 for a bottle. Stout game is serious biz.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
Matthew Brown
Posts: 5544
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 10:03 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA/ITB

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#13 Post by Matthew Brown » March 19th, 2019, 3:20 pm

THis is an IPA. With marshmallows.
The Chav who mostly isn't.

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2206
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#14 Post by BRhoades » March 19th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Matthew Brown wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 3:20 pm
THis is an IPA. With marshmallows.
Understand, just letting you in on the insanity for other styles.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17604
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#15 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 19th, 2019, 5:49 pm

I think Matt's point, and I hope he corrects me if I'm wrong is, this beer sounds disgusting, and likely is.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
Matthew Brown
Posts: 5544
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 10:03 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA/ITB

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#16 Post by Matthew Brown » March 19th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Not so much disgusting. Some breweries have done pretty decent beers in this vein (though calling them IPAs is stupid marketing since IPA drinkers will find them too sweet, and those that WOULD lime them are likely to avoid them because it says IPA on the can. But I digress...)
I can even get behind the high end nature of Imperial Stouts or Cantillon, somewhat, because they usually have a long life span AND usually some sort of track record.
IPA
First time brewed
With marshmallows
Three weeks plus of Instagram and social media
$100 a can
=Madness
The Chav who mostly isn't.

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2206
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

#17 Post by BRhoades » March 19th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Matthew Brown wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 7:26 pm
Not so much disgusting. Some breweries have done pretty decent beers in this vein (though calling them IPAs is stupid marketing since IPA drinkers will find them too sweet, and those that WOULD lime them are likely to avoid them because it says IPA on the can. But I digress...)
I can even get behind the high end nature of Imperial Stouts or Cantillon, somewhat, because they usually have a long life span AND usually some sort of track record.
IPA
First time brewed
With marshmallows
Three weeks plus of Instagram and social media
$100 a can
=Madness
New money = sweet.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

Post Reply

Return to “Beer and Spirits”