Cognac - 700ml vs 750ml?

Why do foreign sources have Cognacs available in 700ml while the US has them in 750ml versions?

Knowing Americans (and rightfully so), we would feel “uneasy” that the 700ml is an unusual size (especially considering 750ml is the standard for wine).

TTT

The us doesn’t allow non standard sizes to be sold. That’s why nikka from the barrel is 750 in the us. 375
And 750 and 1.75 are the sizes for liquor, as well as minis.

Why does Europe even produce a non standard size is my question?

TTT

They do their thing we do ours.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_(unit)

Then why does French wine use 750ml as their standard?

TTT

some 720 ml Jura bottles.

I’m with you guys on this. Up here in Canada, we are ripped off with the 700 ml bottles which really aggravates me when I see 750 ml bottles of the same spirits I buy up here down in the US. Really ticks me off.

I miss the Imperial Quart when we only had fifths

[shrug.gif]

And sake is 720. But their isshobin (magnum) size is 1800 rather than 1500, so you get the bonus in large format.

I may be wrong but I have fuzzy recollection in the 70s of some German wines being 700ml.
The size I wish was used more is 500ml. A someone once put it, good for two people at lunch or for a “gentleman’s dinner”. That was written before glass size inflation though.

Just remembered I have a bottle of 1986 Franken Muller-Thurgau in a bottle that says 0.70cl

Looks like this:

Damn! Those puppies reminded me of the Mateus Rose bottles (My go to in college).

TTT