Single malt Scotch Recommendation Sought

I’m looking for a recommendation on a very good single malt scotch for a friend who already has a fairly diverse collection. Something good and unusual for less than $200 would be ideal. I don’t know his preferences, but do know he drinks single malts from all regions.

Also, does anyone know a forum or other on-line source for this type of single malt information?

Thanks

Not sure if you are wanting to ship but Winex has a very nice selection and multiple bottles that would fit the bill. And a few of the guys there are very knowledgeable.

I have looked at a few whisky boards but I usually end up at http://www.wine-pages.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=8 since most of the guys are wine guys too.

Jason

oh and you can check these out http://www.whisky-pages.com/whiskies-of-the-year-2009.shtml

Thanks Jason – I also posted there. Would prefer to pick up something in NYC.

Interesting website – thanks very much.

Park Avenue Liquor New York NY, New York, NY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[bow.gif]

Very nice. I think Peter will find something suitable there.

This one caught my eye http://tiny.cc/Nzlq4

But so did a lot of others.

Jason

Having done some research since yesterday, while not known for it’s low prices, Park Avenue appears to have the best selection in NYC. Unless I go the route of an 18 Y.O Talisker (good, but not too unusual) or the 16 y.o. Langavulin, I’ll search for more of a rarity there. Thanks.

Jason – Just curious – what about the Bruichladdich caught your eye?

Balvenie 21 year Port Wood is my all-time favorite!!!

Peter, see if Binnys will ship to you. The do their own special cask selections. I have tried a few, and they are outstanding quality and of excellent value. Check for the Signatory label. They have a Benriach Peaty 1994 Vintage 12 Year Old Cask Strength Chateau d’Yquem Sauternes Finish that is incredible!!!

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/specials" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neither Talisker 18 or Lagavulin 16 are at all “unusual” to the avid single malt drinker. (i know you acknowledged this w/r/t the Talisker). If your friend has many in his cabinet already, odds are he already has these.

Well I am a Laddie fan. In general I find something unique in every bottle. This bottle is a little beyond what I am comfortable spending but I would love it if I got it as a gift.

I think … not totally clear but I think this is the bottle http://www.bruichladdich.com/the_twenty1.htm

Please let us know what you decide on.

Here is my current B’Laddie Bruichladdich - Waves - Beer and Spirits - WineBerserkers

Jason

Sorry i am late to this discussion.

Park Ave is fine establishment, and the prices are reasonable (also Astor Wine, but they dont have near the selection as Park Ave)

So i will echo the Bruichladdich recommendation, the raison d’etre is thatthis distillery crosses through many specific, delicate quality ranges without ‘tangetizing’ on one (not that i am opposed to that sort of myopic flavor structure-- quite the opposite, but when getting a gift without all the pertinent info you resort to ‘intersect points’ and the ‘Laddich’ has the most of them…)

Less than $200 for something special, unique, very high quality… no problem…

Bruichladdich Gaja Bolgherie Finish Exquisite, complex, delectable $84
Park Avenue Liquor New York NY, New York, NY" onclick=“window.open(this.href);return false;[search_results]=Bruichladdich+Bolgheri+Finished+Fr.+Oak+%28Dist%29
Bruichladdich First Growth Series Cuvee B Exquisite, complex, delectable $105.
Park Avenue Liquor New York NY, New York, NY” onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[search_results]=Bruichladdich+First+Growth+Series+Cuvee+B+%28Dist%29

My favorite tho is the Bruichladdich 18 Year Finished in Willi Opitz Zweigelt. Trockenbeerenauslese barrels i think that is the right link, it should be the second one listed for $140-- you should ask because it is not clear on the web site.
Park Avenue Liquor New York NY, New York, NY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[search_results]=Bruichladdich+%28Dist%29

The last in the “i can’t believe these are all under $200 list” is:
Bruichladdich 20 Year 3rd Edition $190
Park Avenue Liquor New York NY, New York, NY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[search_results]=Bruichladdich±+Third+Edition+%28Dist%29

That ought to be of some assistance…

i tried a few different ways to make the links work to no avail, sorry you will have to cut and paste…
Have a wonderful day.

Well, in the end after some additional research, I purchased a 1982 Signatory Port Ellen 1982 Un-Chill, Non-Filtered from Islay. I checked out Astor Wines and Park Avenue Liquors (among others), but ended up purchasing it at Heights Chateau in Brooklyn, after a half hour telephone call with the woman running the spirits section, who was extraordinarily articulate and passionate about her scotches. I almost went with the Scott’s 1982 Bladnoch and a Bruichladdich 14YR Brunello she recommended (as others had recommended those distilleries as well), but the Port Ellen seemed more unusual as it came from a distillery founded in 1825 that is now closed. As it turns out, it probably was a good choice, as I discovered after presenting the gift, that his collection is far more extensive than I thought and he had most of the others I was considering.

Thanks for all your help.

Good job, Peter.

A Signatory Port Ellen is a great choice.

-Al

Great. Thanks for the follow up. I hope he enjoys … I know I would.

Jason