Scotch tasting. What munchie food to pair with?

On Christmas eve afternoon, I’m going to one of my accounts, and we’re going to drink scotch. I’m bringing a Balvenie 12. John will have a Laphroaig 10 year old.What munchies go well with scotch?

Posted exclusively on WB.

Best bits for scotch are Nuts lightly toasted, or Smoked salmon and bagles with small amounts of cream cheese or none at all and on crip breads. I also like rice to allow you to really taste through the differences in each offering

That’s one of the most beautiful sentences I’ve read in a long time. So powerful, yet so moving.

Rock on DHammer!

T,

Years ago, we enjoyed a glass of Lagavulin at 10:00am. My customer enjoys this, and not the grape. It’s become a holiday tradition. What’s so bad. pepsi

I am jealous, and would do business with you.

Smoked salmon came to my mind, too. Enjoy and report! [drinks.gif]

I have been drinking Scotch for about 40 years and I don’t think it ever occurred to me to have smoked salmon with it. Thanks for the idea. On reflection, the “terroir” is right since that is certainly something a Scotsman would be likely to have around (as opposed to, say, mangoes).

I think when I am drinking serious Scotch I mostly eat -nothing- but sometimes nuts or crackers or perhaps a nibble of cheese.

You don’t mean lox, right, you mean the crumbly-textured cooked stuff?

Followup…

The Laphroaig is a slightly smoother (and cheaper) version of the Lagavulin. Oh so good.

We snacked on crackers, cheese and olives (after we initially did a tasting).

I like them both, but would have described Laphroig as a somewhat less civilized and more extreme version of Lagavullin. They have somewhat different flavor profiles, Laphroig more iodine, Lagavullin more smokey peat.

-Al

I was serving smoked salmon with Champagne as an appetizer last night and I brought up this discussion. Naturally I had to run down to the cellar for a bottle of Talisker, which did indeed go very well with the fish.

The flaky kind or lox like? I think either would do. Smokiness is key. I have enjoyed my 15 year old Glenlivet (French Oak barrel) with roasted almonds. Simple pleasures.

Happy New Year!!!

Flaky. We love the Costco stuff with a chunk of peppered salmon and a chunk of plain smoked.

You slice it thin with a sharp serrated knife – people can decorate a cracker and get a nice little blast of that good flavor. The Scotch was disappointing at first because it was at cellar temp and too cold.