Tequila Recommendations?

I have some tequila loving friends coming over during the holidays and not sure what to serve them. I am not much of a tequila drinker and Patron and Herradura are the only tequila I had tried and would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Clem - weren’t you with us at The Todd’s during Berserkerfest? That tequila he served was incredible - I can’t remember what it was, but I hope someone who was there does…Jane? Cris? Bill?

Cannot remember for the life of me what that was up at ACV.

For mixology, Herradura Plata or Don Julio Plata. I’m not a big sipping fan, but these two make stellar 'ritas.

Oh man! (salivating)

Best route to go is top shelf silver, preferably chilled and neat. My recs for smoothness and drinkability are:

-1921 Silver
-Fina Estampa Silver (served to the Queen–super smooth!)
-Herrencia Mexicana
-Tequila 7 Lequas Silver (if you can find it!)
-Casa Noble Silver

and of course Don Julio 1942 (about $100 plus but worth every drop!)

Good luck and let me know if you need help drinking any of these! :wink:

C.G., as you may have seen in the recent Best of LA edition of The Weekly, we have both the largest selection around AND a full time Tequila manager whose family is from Jalisco. He’s off today but would recommend (among others):

Herencia Mexicana Blanco

Siete Leguas (the original makers of the REAL el Patron) Reposado

1921 Special Reserve

Forteleza Añejo

and, if you like smokier things, Joya Mezcal de Oaxaca Añejo (aged seven years and still under $60)

Siete Leguas - my favorite blanco. Awesome for margies or on its own.

Corzo - very smooth; either the blanco or the reposado

Porfidio - this blanco ain’t cheap, but it’s the smoothest of the bunch, but still retains the distinct agave flavor.

El Tesoro - another killer blanco

BTW, nothing wrong with serving herradura; always a consistently good tequila at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I definitely will go with Siete Leguas (silver) as it came up a lot and maybe one other. I may just see Roberto this coming weekend.

My current favorites are: Diamante del Cielo Reposado and Milagro Special Reserve (Single Barrel) Reposado. Both make my best-loved Margaritas. I vary in which is my actual favorite.

For just a sipping tequila, I like rich añejos - Cuervo Reserva la Familia, Don Julio 1942, El Tesoro Paradiso, and Milago’s special bottle that pours both reposado and añejo into a glass.

I was able to snag some Don Julio Anejo 375’s at a crazy closeout price in the fall Diageo liquor dump, so I have been barreling through them lately.

All the prior suggestions look great and I defer to the WC folks who probably see so much more.

I have a bottle of 1942 I pull out occasionally as well.

Roberto,

Had a great conversation with the owner of Forteleza (Guillermo Sauza) at a tasting in Santa Barbara this summer. Outstanding tequila, great story and history, super nice guy!
Definitely worth seeking out.

Until recently Don Julio Anejo was my go to tequila, but the Kirkland Anejo is quite good and at 1/3 of the price of the DJ. Just as tasty, but not quite as smooth.

Nice tip. I’ll give that a try.

J

Oh man, you got me salivating too for that Tequila. Searched all over Europe and the best
price I can find is USD 150. I think the US being a neighbour of the Mejicans has its advantages
(apart from tomato harvesting).

Cheers
Christian

I like the Plata’s best. The over abundance of new oak is out of hand! The tequila’s become to hot and you lose the agave taste! Try Don Eduardo! But any Silver or plata over $25.00 should be excellent for sipping!

I prefer plata and reposado most of the time.

I don’t try a ton but my favorite for the last year or two has been Oro Azul Reposado…

I would recommend highly seeking out Porfidio now that it once again available in the States. Pricey, but the best ta-kill-ya I have had in any form.