RUM ... talk to me, people

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
John Liotta

Re: RUM ... talk to me, people

#51 Post by John Liotta » January 11th, 2011, 9:52 am

If you haven't tried it, NEISSON RHUM AGRICOLE BLANC, is pretty awesome stuff for cocktails.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Andrew Hall » January 12th, 2011, 10:22 am

John Liotta wrote:
Roberto Rogness wrote:"This review indicates the quality may have fallen off."

Patron Brands (who don't really MAKE anything, they are marketers based in Vegas) bought Pyrat a while back so I would look for a continuing slump in quality and an increase in blingage and flash promotion / advertising.

This is really not true. A lot of people like to rip on Patron but they are still a good company. If it wasn't for them (in the '80s) there would not be a premium Tequila market in the United States (there would only be Cuervo). Up through around 2003 their Tequila was basically Siete Leguas, which is one of the finest Tequilas out there. When they decided to build their own, massive, space they hired away Siete Leguas Master Distiller, Francisco Alcaraz (commonly referred to as El Diablo). Their Tequilas are still very well-made . . . and certainly well-marketed. The fact that they bought Pyrat is probably good for the brand. I doubt seriously the brand will decline. If anything you will read stories, perhaps written by spirits geeks (with no proof), lamenting the sale and swearing off Pyrat in the future. This is similar to a company like LVMH buying another small Champagne house. Has Krug or Dom changed for the worse?

H/T- Thanks to booze columnist Jason Wilson for some of the info here.
An interesting aside on Pyrat :

http://slowcocktails.squarespace.com/di ... d-why.html

Sea Wynde and Angostura 1824 are really on top of my list of rums right now.

Smith and Cross is one of the best mixing rums.

I have been disappointed in the Renegade Rum series from the Bruidiladdich folks. Not bad, but just too aberrant for mixing and not complete enough for sipping.

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com

John Liotta

#53 Post by John Liotta » January 13th, 2011, 7:55 am

Thanks for the link.

I was going to pull the trigger on some of the Renegade. I might hold off now.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#54 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 12th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Andrew Hall wrote:
John Liotta wrote:

Patron Brands (who don't really MAKE anything, they are marketers based in Vegas) bought Pyrat a while back so I would look for a continuing slump in quality and an increase in blingage and flash promotion / advertising.

This is really not true. A lot of people like to rip on Patron but they are still a good company. If it wasn't for them (in the '80s) there would not be a premium Tequila market in the United States (there would only be Cuervo). Up through around 2003 their Tequila was basically Siete Leguas, which is one of the finest Tequilas out there. When they decided to build their own, massive, space they hired away Siete Leguas Master Distiller, Francisco Alcaraz (commonly referred to as El Diablo). Their Tequilas are still very well-made . . . and certainly well-marketed. The fact that they bought Pyrat is probably good for the brand. I doubt seriously the brand will decline. If anything you will read stories, perhaps written by spirits geeks (with no proof), lamenting the sale and swearing off Pyrat in the future. This is similar to a company like LVMH buying another small Champagne house. Has Krug or Dom changed for the worse?

An interesting aside on Pyrat :

http://slowcocktails.squarespace.com/di ... d-why.html

Sea Wynde and Angostura 1824 are really on top of my list of rums right now.

Smith and Cross is one of the best mixing rums.

I have been disappointed in the Renegade Rum series from the Bruidiladdich folks. Not bad, but just too aberrant for mixing and not complete enough for sipping.

A.
I never had Pyrat before, and I quite like it. The article is very interesting, and makes a LOT of sense. The orange flavoring is definitely prominent, particularly on the nose, but it really doesn't taste artificial - good to know it truly isn't.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

drsugarman

#55 Post by drsugarman » October 13th, 2011, 8:00 am

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:Actually, Jorge, this skipped my mind and you'll like the story even better...

For Thanksgiving, a Dominican doorman who is friends with my Mexican delivery guy gave him a 200ml of Brugal Extra Viejo for Thanksgiving. This stuff rivals Barbancourt 15 for it's aromatic complexity and delicacy. I wish it was available in the USA! [cry.gif]
Picked up a few bottles of this coming back from the DR this spring ...

For my D&S I use Fever Tree Ginger Beer and this ... yum!
D a v i d S u g a r m a n
I T B

drsugarman

#56 Post by drsugarman » October 13th, 2011, 8:02 am

John Liotta wrote:

I think your forgetting the "Original" Chinaco great stuff ...
I T B

drsugarman

#57 Post by drsugarman » October 13th, 2011, 8:02 am

John Liotta wrote:

I think your forgetting the "Original" Chinaco great stuff ...
I T B

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by George Hejna » October 16th, 2011, 3:10 pm

For something different try Bank's Rum.

http://banksrum.com/

It is a white rum, but is extremely complex. Really good straight up ice cold.

Also makes a really wicked Mojito as it is very botanical.

There is an awesome mojito recipe on the cocktail page on the Bank's rum website above called the Kew Garden.

Give it a shot.

George

Nolan E

#59 Post by Nolan E » October 16th, 2011, 4:24 pm

Diplomatico 12 Year

One of the best spirits I've ever tasted. I paid $25 or so here.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Rob MacKay

#60 Post by Rob MacKay » October 21st, 2011, 11:13 am

The Rum Diary

Seems appropriate for the Rum thread.
"For the human makers of things, the incompletenesses and inconsistencies of our ideas become clear only during implementation."

http://twitter.com/RoundersRob
http://facebook.com/RoundersRob

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#61 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 27th, 2012, 8:17 am

For those who enjoy a dark sipping rum, you've got to try Ron Centenario Gran Riserva 25 - it reminds me of the carmelized sugar crust atop a creme brulee - not just the carmelized sugar, but a bit of the custard flavor from the creme brulee itself. Really fantastic stuff when sipped cold (I keep mine in the freezer, and sip it as it warms to room temperature).

(A birthday gift from our very own Veronica Castro) flirtysmile
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Chris Presutti
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Chris Presutti » March 27th, 2012, 9:59 am

Nolan E wrote:Image

Diplomatico 12 Year

One of the best spirits I've ever tasted. I paid $25 or so here.
I bought a bottle of this rum just last week. It's delicious. A bit lighter than I am used to but very tasty nevertheless.

John Liotta

#63 Post by John Liotta » March 28th, 2012, 6:17 am

Tried The Scarlet Ibis from Trinadad last night and generally enjoyed it.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Andrew Hall » March 28th, 2012, 7:45 am

John Liotta wrote:Tried The Scarlet Ibis from Trinadad last night and generally enjoyed it.
Not a fan. Not saying it is bad, but it is just too middle of the road and gets lost in cocktails surprisingly more than many commercial brands.

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com

John Liotta

#65 Post by John Liotta » March 28th, 2012, 11:51 am

Andrew, tasted it by itself. Kinda had an off-putting nose at first, but turned the corner. I'll wait to make a firm judgement until I try it in a cocktail.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Frank Deis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Frank Deis » April 9th, 2012, 7:49 pm

I am going to bring up a rum which I haven't tasted.

In Ernest Hemingway's book, "A Moveable Feast" he describes his life in Paris in the 1920's.

He memorably mentions enjoying Rum Saint James, which is made in Martinique.

It made me want to try a bottle some day, and perhaps some of you might also want to try and see what he was talking about. There are some good reviews of this rum on the web.

Of course down in the Keys and Cuba, Rum is a very important drink, and Hemingway also enjoyed several mixed drinks based on rum.

I'm not his biggest fan but I enjoyed his books, and I remember where I was the day he died.
ITB = "I Teach Biochemistry"

Hunter Fuzzell

#67 Post by Hunter Fuzzell » April 11th, 2012, 4:44 pm

I've been drinking Ron Barcelo Imperial and love it. It is made in the Dominican Republic.

J. Blum
Contributor
Contributor

#68 Post by J. Blum » April 13th, 2012, 9:04 am

I bought a bottle of Pyrat a few years ago and although I thought it was very drinkable but it was way too sweet and tasted really fake to me. Pusser's tasted like really nasty wood (I know that's the point but meh). I've tried many other more expensive types of rum by the glass but I can't remember any standouts really.

I usally stick to the Appleton Estate, Mount Gay or.......for the price if you can get some REAL Havana Club 7 it's great.

j-o-n

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Kris Patten » June 2nd, 2012, 7:20 pm

Anyone had the different runs from Rhum Clement?
ITB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#70 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 18th, 2012, 9:32 pm

J. Blum wrote:I bought a bottle of Pyrat a few years ago and although I thought it was very drinkable but it was way too sweet and tasted really fake to me. Pusser's tasted like really nasty wood (I know that's the point but meh). I've tried many other more expensive types of rum by the glass but I can't remember any standouts really.

I usally stick to the Appleton Estate, Mount Gay or.......for the price if you can get some REAL Havana Club 7 it's great.

Havana Club 7 is good, indeed.

Enjoying Rinaldo Black Label right now...on ice

Mike Daniel

#71 Post by Mike Daniel » August 23rd, 2012, 5:40 pm

I agree with the Barbancourt. I also like the Brugal Extra Anejo for sipping...and you cannot beat the price

James Williamson

#72 Post by James Williamson » September 3rd, 2012, 4:02 pm

Surprised Zaya only got one mention. It's decidedly sweet and luscious, and pairs amazingly well with cigars. Also a big fan on Ron Zacapa, but I'd give the edge to Zaya. The only problem with the stuff is it's too damn easy to drink. As I learned on Friday night.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Paul Miller » September 4th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Was in Cuba back in April. Found Havana Club Selección de Maestros. I think I drank a bottle of this stuff all by myself. I'm all for dropping the embargo just to get this imported.

Until then, I'll just work on finishing my bottle of Ron Abuelo 7-Year.

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Michael Bowden » September 10th, 2012, 8:02 pm

[quote="Paul Miller"]Found Havana Club Selección de Maestros. I think I drank a bottle of this stuff all by myself. I'm all for dropping the embargo just to get this imported./quote]

Scored a bottle of this while in France last year...really great stuff.
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#75 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 10th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Michael Bowden wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:Found Havana Club Selección de Maestros. I think I drank a bottle of this stuff all by myself. I'm all for dropping the embargo just to get this imported./quote]

Scored a bottle of this while in France last year...really great stuff.
welcome back, meathead

Scott Sutherland

#76 Post by Scott Sutherland » October 9th, 2012, 12:17 pm

George Kautzman wrote:Well, it's my spirit of choice, and there aren't many I haven't had . . .

El Dorado -- These are awesome! The 12 yr-old is great, but the 15 yr-old is well worth the "upgrade" price. The 21 yr-old is absolutely spectacular -- almost half the price of the Appleton 21 yr-old, and better (in my opinion).

--George
Just picked up the El Dorado 12 and am really impressed. Delicious on its own and pretty spectacular in a Dark and Stormy. I'll have to seek out the 15, but for ~ $25 the 12 is going to be really hard to beat.

Scott

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Thomas Keim » November 25th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Has anyone tried the OLD NEW ORLEANS RUMS yet? Head and shoulders above any other domestic rums, the Amber is age in bourbon barrels for three years minimum and colored with freshly made caramel on-site (spooned into the barrels while it's still hot) - final distillation goes through a 90 gallon perfume still built in 1930 in Paris. The Cajun Spice is the only spiced Rum I've ever had that I could drink straight, and is a revelation mixed with black tea - really worth the search -

http://www.neworleansrum.com/

DISCLAIMER: I do represent the Old New Orleans rums in the Midwest - but they really, truly do match up to the greatest island rums - even the White is pretty special.
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Tran Bronstein
Contributor
Contributor

#78 Post by Tran Bronstein » February 27th, 2013, 10:26 am

I just tried the Appleton Estate 21 Year Old and Ron Zacapa 23 year old Solera rums. I can't say I much cared for the Appleston Estate but the Zacapa blew me away. Extremely rich and mellow, perfectly integrated heat, I could actually enjoy drinking this neat as well as cook with it. Beautiful stuff indeed. I intend to pick up the El Dorado 21 Year old as well.
Tran's the smart one!- M Grammer

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 27th, 2013, 11:25 am

I've enjoyed the Appletons I've had, although I don't remember which they were. Being in Jamaica while so sampling likely contributed to my enjoyment of them. :)
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by John Osburn » February 27th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Enjoyed an Old Fashioned last week made with both gold rum and Smith & Cross rum....funky and outstanding. When in Portland, go to the Rum Club bar.

Dave English
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Dave English » February 28th, 2013, 1:54 am

Diplomatico Ambassador is my fav, failing that Ron Zacapa XO Solera.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Kris Patten » March 1st, 2013, 8:42 pm

Kicked off the new Mt. Gay Black Barrel today in Seattle, interested to hear what folks think once they try it.
ITB

C Janko

Rum Help

#83 Post by C Janko » April 15th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Buying my builder a gift for closing and I know he loves rum. He has mentioned he doesn't much care for real spicy rum, and since I don't drink it I need some help. Price isn't a huge issue, but not sourcing may.

Any help would be much appreciated
Chris

Kent Zimmerman

Rum Help

#84 Post by Kent Zimmerman » April 16th, 2013, 5:08 am

Do you know what he likes to drink? That would certainly be helpful, since there are many different styles.

If you want to just take a stab at it, maybe try to find a bottle of Don Q Gran Anejo down there, which might fit the bill if he likes a nice aged rum for sipping. You should be able to pick one up for about $60, but finding one could prove difficult.

I happen to have an extra bottle that I brought back from Puerto Rico if you get in a pinch and want to trade for something.

Scott Sutherland

Rum Help

#85 Post by Scott Sutherland » April 16th, 2013, 12:24 pm

I love the El Dorado 15 year rum. Delicious and one of the better straight drinking rum's I've ever had.

Scott

Hunter Fuzzell

Rum Help

#86 Post by Hunter Fuzzell » April 17th, 2013, 7:26 pm

+1 on the El Dorado 15

C Janko

Rum Help

#87 Post by C Janko » April 18th, 2013, 4:57 am

Thanks Kent, not 100% sure just know we have chatted over dinner about my love affair with bourbon and he mentioned he was a big Sipping Rum guy.

Appreciate the advice on the 15 Scott and Hunter, will check out my local spot.
Chris

cbehensky

Rum Help

#88 Post by cbehensky » April 18th, 2013, 9:45 am

Chris,
You might want to check out this thread. FWIW, I usually go for either Zaya (a bit on the thick & syrupy side) or Pyrat XO (thinner with a distinct bit of orange flavor), often paired with a decent cigar. I'm guessing, however, that those are below the price point you're looking at for a gift. Locally, I can find the Zaya around $35-45 and the Pyrat for less than that.
-C h u c k B.

C Janko

Rum Help

#89 Post by C Janko » April 18th, 2013, 12:28 pm

I'm all for spending less usually, but was hoping for something special since this build has been for a year and he has been great to my wife and I.

Again appreciate the advice
Chris

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rum Help

#90 Post by Jay $$ Winton » April 18th, 2013, 1:03 pm

Barbancourt 15 along with others mentioned here.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rum Help

#91 Post by John Osburn » April 18th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Gosling's Old Rum (not the standard stuff)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#92 Post by Todd F r e n c h » April 18th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Merging threads

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Rum Help

#93 Post by Todd F r e n c h » April 18th, 2013, 1:29 pm

cbehensky wrote:Chris,
You might want to check out this thread. FWIW, I usually go for either Zaya (a bit on the thick & syrupy side) or Pyrat XO (thinner with a distinct bit of orange flavor), often paired with a decent cigar. I'm guessing, however, that those are below the price point you're looking at for a gift. Locally, I can find the Zaya around $35-45 and the Pyrat for less than that.
Pyrat is a guilty pleasure of mine - it's very strongly orange flavored (since they use Grand Marnier barrels for aging) - but really enjoyable as a unique rum style.

Eric Nelson

#94 Post by Eric Nelson » April 19th, 2013, 11:41 am

Todd

I see that you like the Pyrat Rums. I picked up a couple of bottles of their Cask 1623 and can sell them at really good price. $125/btl. Do you or anyone else on the board have any interest? I have to run to milwaukee next week so maybe we could maybe meet up.

FYI--our new crop Costa Rican microlots are starting to arrive in the US. We should have some of them roasted and ready to go the first part of May. I'll keep you informed.

Cheers!!

Eric
Not much gets by him.....

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#95 Post by Chris Freemott » April 20th, 2013, 8:46 am

Chris Janko - rum offers up one of if not the best bang/buck for aged specialty drinks. This is a great thread to search and frankly, spending $100 - $150 will actually secure you 2-5 bottles of fantastic aged rum. A basket with some limes and a few ginger beers with a few different bottles will be well appreciated and, hell, if something goes wrong on the walk-thru I assure you your punch down list will be attended to immediately.

C Janko

#96 Post by C Janko » April 22nd, 2013, 8:09 pm

Chris,

Thanks for the advice! Starting to see that incredible rum can be sourced at a much better price than Bourbon... I agree a few great bottles and some mixers is a Great use.
Chris

Nolan E

#97 Post by Nolan E » April 27th, 2013, 7:51 pm

I'll be in Barcelona in a few weeks and I'd like to get some Havana Club. What are the opinions on the different tiers of their aged rums?
ITB
Nolan Ellis

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by M.Kaplan » April 28th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Nolan E wrote:I'll be in Barcelona in a few weeks and I'd like to get some Havana Club. What are the opinions on the different tiers of their aged rums?
The plata for mojitos and other tall drinks. Of the aged rums in the range, The Añejo 7 Años probably my favorite.
---Mark

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Michael Bowden » April 28th, 2013, 7:02 pm

I've liked the Havana Club Seleccion de Maestros.
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Marshall Gelb » May 15th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:Actually, Jorge, this skipped my mind and you'll like the story even better...

For Thanksgiving, a Dominican doorman who is friends with my Mexican delivery guy gave him a 200ml of Brugal Extra Viejo for Thanksgiving. This stuff rivals Barbancourt 15 for it's aromatic complexity and delicacy. I wish it was available in the USA! [cry.gif]

Brent; Just returned home from the DR where I put a nice dent in the Brugal "Extra Viejo" supply [snort.gif] . However, I purchased, blindly, as I could not taste it first, two bottles of the " Sigla de Oro." Need to try it this weekend.
Jorge; ever see or try it?

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”