Belgium breweries/beer bar recs

Visiting Belgium in early April and will be in Ghent, Bruges, Brussels, and Roubaix, France.

Definitely visiting Cantillon, 3 Fonteinen, and Brussels Beer Project. Will likely make the trek out to Tilquin. May visit Au Bon Vieux Temps, A La Mort Subite, Moeder Lambic Original, and De Heeren Van

Really wanted to visit Blaugies, but don’t think I’ll make it.

Any other recommendations for breweries or beer bars would be greatly appreciated!

De Cam — brewery
Beersel — brewery

Both are very much worth a stop.

And you are crazy if you don’t go to the Delerium Tremmens bar in Brussels.

The city center squares in both Brussles and Bruges have several beer bars that are quintessential Belgium. Don’t sweat which one is ‘best’, just pick one that suits your mood and enjoy the mussels, beer, and ambiance.

But yeah for pure geekout DTs is a must.

Lille is definitely a hotbed for Biere de Garde. Would check at the place you are staying in Roubaix for local recommendations.

Depending on your time restrictions, that area between Lille and Brussels is the heart of Wallonia. Brasserie Dupont may not be a hotshot any more, but it is by no means industrial. Getting a feel of a true farmhouse brewery, as well as getting to drive through the countryside to get there gave me a deep appreciation for the style that still impacts my beer beliefs almost 20 years later. Should be some others close by, perhaps even new ones, but you may want to try and contact them ahead of time in case they are not open to the public on certain days.

Thanks, gents.

Was in both Ghent and Bruges this past summer. Personal favorites in Bruges were Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan, Brewery Bourgogne des Flandres, and I’d also highly recommend De Garre. The last one is a little tricky to find, but not far from the main Market Square.

With Ghent being larger, and being a little more pressed for time, we weren’t able to cover as much ground. Some of the better known breweries are a little out of town, so they might require some additional planning depending on your transportation situation. Pretty bummed that we couldn’t make it to the Huyghe Brewery. However, an interesting brewery experience was Brouwerij Gruut. A more modern setting, and seemed a bit more off the tourist track. Very unique beers, and fun to try. Also, the beer list at Dulle Griet is a sight to behold! If the weather is nice, I’d try to get a seat outside. Gorgeous view, although, those definitely won’t be in short supply when you’re in Ghent.

Those would probably be my highlights, but could certainly babble on longer. Feel free to PM if you would like any more information. Needless to say, any bar that you’ll wander into while in either Bruges or Ghent will almost certainly have a stunning beer list. Sounds like you’re planning a great trip!

In Bruges we liked Cambrinus and Le Trappiste. We liked the tour at De Halve Maan - particularly funny because our tour guide had spent a number of years in Oregon.

I’d pack IPA and bring it with you so you don’t have drink the local slop. You know I’m serious, which makes that even funnier :slight_smile:

Something to consider - there are quite a few online beer stores in Belgium where you can buy beer and have it shipped to a local address. Assuming you can ship to a hotel easily; I’ve been charged $5 a box to deliver Amazon to my hotel in the US. Consider stocking up on Westy 12, Cantillon, etc with the variety you want (I.e. breweries will only have current release) and it’s already packed for you to schlep home :wink:

Will talk to a colleague in Brussels, who has ordered for me in the past, and see what site he used. If you give in and Thalys down to Paris, let me know.

I know you’re serious! I’m bringing an extra bag to schlep back beer, but interested to hear more about the online stores.

My wife will head down to Paris for 2 days, but My only France stops will be Busigny and Roubaix.

http://shop.beerplanet.eu

They do have a brick and mortar, as well. Saw they had Westy 6, 8, 12 and four of the Cantillon line-up. Have fun!

I always liked Delirium off grand place in Brussels. Unfortunately I can’t drink beer these days so haven’t been in a while. I don’t imagine it’s chanhed much though.

When you go to the delirium tremens bar you should know that there are three floors with three distinct menus. The main floor is the most basic, the top floor has an absurdly deep list of international beers, and the basement has a very impressive Cellar list.

Just went to Brussels yesterday.
Delirium is awesome. Deep Lambic list.
Moeder Lambic fontania is good had some foufoune and 3F Gaston.
Moeder lambic original is a bit out of the way but damn the cantillon list makes you wish they let u buy them to go! :frowning:(

The brewery is also depressing. So cheap. So available. But you can only bring so few back home!! :frowning:
Foufune and nath at the brewery 1 btl each person per year. No real limit on the base 3. Nothing else yesterday.

Tried a st lam, vigeronne, mamouche, and a 3F oude Gueuze At the brewery and in various bars.

I liked De Halve Maan so much, I had the sign on the store front tattooed on my upper arm.

I really do have a tattoo of their sign, but not really because I liked it that much. It was a good rememberance of the trip with my cycling buddies and because my wife has a sun tattoo.

Thanks for all the recs. Mapping out my beer itinerary and getting very excited.

DE DOLLES BROUWERS - The Mad Brewers of Belgium -

My favorite brewery in Belgium. Started by a couple artists years ago, this is THE cult brewery of Belgium. Located in Esen, a short jaunt from Diksmuide, it’s worth the ride -

nuzoDMfW3H0