Sourcing Trillium/Tree House, Boston NEIPAs

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Brian Lynch

#1 Post by Brian Lynch » January 24th, 2018, 8:04 pm

My daughter is visiting Boston this weekend. Is there any difficulty getting these beers to drive home. If so can you make any suggestions to source other good NEIPAs if those two are difficult to get in Boston

Any others folks would recommend if these are tough to come by. These two don’t make it to Philly. We see Lord Hobo and Clown Shoes and can get those easily. Thanks

GMcCarthy

#2 Post by GMcCarthy » January 25th, 2018, 3:32 am

Trillium in Canton is much easier to purchase than Tree House, though with Tree House's new facility the allocation is much larger now. If I were her I would stop at Tree House on my way to Boston whatever day she is arriving and then directly go to Trillium in Canton. Ideally, the best day to go to Tree House would be to go on a Thursday, because the availability and selection is usually the best mid week. Keep in mind TH is closed Sundays whereas Trillium is open.
Greg McCarthy
itb:beer

Brian Lynch

#3 Post by Brian Lynch » January 25th, 2018, 4:50 am

Thanks. Can you get any at retail around Boston or is that tough?

GMcCarthy

#4 Post by GMcCarthy » January 25th, 2018, 5:00 am

Brian Lynch wrote:Thanks. Can you get any at retail around Boston or is that tough?
Trillium has a retail spot on Congress St, which is their original production facility. It is takeaway only. Very few of their kegs and cans/bottles make it to retail.
Greg McCarthy

jhemming

#5 Post by jhemming » January 25th, 2018, 5:44 pm

I would not try TH unless it's on the drive (i.e. Taking the Pike) as it's a hike from Town and might be very busy. Though the beers are totally worth it if she could swing it. Trillium is usually pretty easy and I prefer the canton location especially on Sunday's with their cellar release. It's very hard to find Trill outside the brewery and TH is impossible. There has been a lot of Lawson's SoS and SS hitting the retail market this week so she could find that at a retail store (though might have to ask around).

If she is staying near a Craf Beer Cellar, it's usually worth the stop - good selection and knowledgeable.
Jason Hemming
Boston, MA

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#6 Post by c fu » January 26th, 2018, 10:14 am

Treehouse is putting out 66 can allocations some Thursdays.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#7 Post by Joe Chanley » January 26th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Never had an issue walking right into trilliums congress street location and grabbing a boat load.

Mike Cohen

#8 Post by Mike Cohen » January 26th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Brian,

Is your daughter driving down the turnpike on her way home? I'd happily trade some Heady Topper for Trillium or Tree House and I'm just off the turnpike/parkway in NJ. I'm up in VT all the time and get to try all the VT stuff but I've never had TH or Trillium.

Mike

jhemming

#9 Post by jhemming » January 29th, 2018, 8:00 am

So any update?
Jason Hemming
Boston, MA

Brian Lynch

#10 Post by Brian Lynch » January 29th, 2018, 10:23 am

Thanks for the suggestions from all. The Congress St suggestion and TH visit produced a 2 case haul - with one for me!

Mike, the return trip was late so a stop was not possible. TH limited the haul to about 24 compared to the 66 noted above - could be due to weekend.

Look forward to drinking next week when my 30 day no alchohol streak ends! Really looking forward to it.

Also scored an NEIPA locally - Grey Sail Captain’s Daughter that gets good reviews so when it rains ... it pours; sometimes you just have to make your own mojo!

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#11 Post by c fu » January 29th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Brian Lynch wrote:Thanks for the suggestions from all. The Congress St suggestion and TH visit produced a 2 case haul - with one for me!

Mike, the return trip was late so a stop was not possible. TH limited the haul to about 24 compared to the 66 noted above - could be due to weekend.

Look forward to drinking next week when my 30 day no alchohol streak ends! Really looking forward to it.

Also scored an NEIPA locally - Grey Sail Captain’s Daughter that gets good reviews so when it rains ... it pours; sometimes you just have to make your own mojo!
large allocations are on thursday/friday which are canning days. Wed is also a canning day but Thursday has Wed's leftovers and friday has wed and thursday's leftovers. Weekends are just leftovers.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Mike Cohen

#12 Post by Mike Cohen » January 29th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Brian Lynch wrote:Thanks for the suggestions from all. The Congress St suggestion and TH visit produced a 2 case haul - with one for me!

No worries. Glad you scored!

jhemming

#13 Post by jhemming » January 30th, 2018, 4:49 am

Enjoy!!
Jason Hemming
Boston, MA

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » February 3rd, 2018, 12:55 pm

Next time hit some beer stores for other things you might not be able to find outside of MA, or head to a couple of the other breweries.

Jack's Abbey/Springdale--Framingham. Jack's Abby is pretty well distributed and to me quality is more along the lines of boutique commercial beer. The Springdale line is elevated and has more NEIPA style offerings. It's a 15 minute detour off the Pike.

Aeronaut--Somerville. My favorite from MA after Trillium and Treehouse.

Exhibit A--Framingham: These were a bit hit or miss for me but solid IPA's, and I think I just had a couple that were about a month old since canning and maybe they're better fresher.

Night Shift--Everett: Great IPA line and nice single hop series, we get some of these in NY but better selection up there.

Lord Hobo--brewery in Wouburn, brew pub in Cambridge. Another solid lineup of IPA's.

I have a couple go to spots like Marty's in Newton and Craft Beer Cellar Fenway, but I'm not as familiar with the retail landscape up there as I used to be.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#15 Post by c fu » February 8th, 2018, 7:35 am

Today’s treehouse allocation is 96 cans a person

24 haze
24 oldman
24 green
24 bright

Wow
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#16 Post by Joe Chanley » February 8th, 2018, 7:51 am

c fu wrote:Today’s treehouse allocation is 96 cans a person

24 haze
24 oldman
24 green
24 bright

Wow
unbelievable. the one time i went it was 12 alter ego and 12 bright w citra and that was it. you could only purchase one beer to drink on site.

GMcCarthy

#17 Post by GMcCarthy » February 8th, 2018, 10:39 am

24 haze
24 oldman
24 green
24 bright

Wow
I'd take a whole case of Green for sure.
Greg McCarthy

Brian Lynch

#18 Post by Brian Lynch » February 9th, 2018, 9:50 am

Brent, thanks for the recos. We get Jack’s and Lord Hobo in Pa and I agree those are very good. Really interested in the Aeronaut next time and my brother lives in Somerville so I will get it next time and try some of the other places you mentioned. Cheers!

Brian Lynch

#19 Post by Brian Lynch » February 9th, 2018, 9:52 am

Just realized I have a Night Shift four pack I will have to tap. Looking forward to it even more now that I have Brent’s thumbs up.

jhemming

#20 Post by jhemming » February 9th, 2018, 7:35 pm

Joe Chanley wrote:

24 haze
24 oldman
24 green
24 bright

Wow
unbelievable. the one time i went it was 12 alter ego and 12 bright w citra and that was it. you could only purchase one beer to drink on site.

The production is unbelievable now. It wasn't long ago, that we were driving all the way out to Munson and waiting in line for 4 Greens and 2 J's.
Jason Hemming
Boston, MA

Brian Lynch

#21 Post by Brian Lynch » February 13th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Tried the Trillium Scaled recently and it blew the socks off of a Fresh Hopslam and also bested a Grey Sail Captain’s Daughter

Separately ( in another sitting) gave high marks to the Tree House Alter Ego. Will need to do a Tree House/Trillium side by side soon against a Night Shift.

jhemming

#22 Post by jhemming » February 13th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Brian Lynch wrote:Tried the Trillium Scaled recently and it blew the socks off of a Fresh Hopslam and also bested a Grey Sail Captain’s Daughter

Separately ( in another sitting) gave high marks to the Tree House Alter Ego. Will need to do a Tree House/Trillium side by side soon against a Night Shift.
TH>Trill>>>NS
Jason Hemming
Boston, MA

Dennis Atick

#23 Post by Dennis Atick » February 28th, 2018, 8:54 am

jhemming wrote: The production is unbelievable now. It wasn't long ago, that we were driving all the way out to Munson and waiting in line for 4 Greens and 2 J's.
My brother lives in CT, 75-80 min drive from Munson and is my Treehouse mule. Turned me on several years ago. He refuses to talk about Bright by anything other then 'f*ck Bright' for the numerous times he took the hour+ drive out, waited in line for an hour, only to find Green and Julius kicked and he walked out with 4 Brights. Lots of days like that.

Today's load is nuts. Too bad my mule is out of town. 114 cans

Haze - 12 cans PP
Trail Magic - 6 cans PP
Lights On - Case PP
Bright - Case PP
Sap - Case PP
Tornado - Case PP
Last edited by Dennis Atick on February 28th, 2018, 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
@decaturwinedude

GMcCarthy

#24 Post by GMcCarthy » February 28th, 2018, 11:50 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
jhemming wrote: The production is unbelievable now. It wasn't long ago, that we were driving all the way out to Munson and waiting in line for 4 Greens and 2 J's.
My brother lives IN CT, 75-80 min drive from Munson and is my Treehouse mule. Turned me on several years ago. He refuses to talk about Bright by anything other then 'f*ck Bright' for the numerous times he took the hour+ drive out, waited in line for an hour, only to find Green and Julius kicked and he walked out with 4 Brights. Lots of days like that.

Today's load is nuts. Too bad my mule is out town. 114 cans

Haze - 12 cans PP
Trail Magic - 6 cans PP
Lights On - Case PP
Bright - Case PP
Sap - Case PP
Tornado - Case PP
I may be wrong, but this is the first time I can remember cans carrying over from a prior week. Sap, Haze, and Trail Magic were all available last Saturday.
Greg McCarthy

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#25 Post by Jorge Henriquez » February 28th, 2018, 12:01 pm

All whalez must come to an end.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#26 Post by Robert M yers » February 28th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Wow they are really printing money right now if folks are buying 3-4 hundred dollars of beer each.

Dennis Atick

#27 Post by Dennis Atick » March 1st, 2018, 3:21 am

Robert M yers wrote:Wow they are really printing money right now if folks are buying 3-4 hundred dollars of beer each.
Yep. If you took the while allocation yesterday you are looking at ~$450 on a Wednesday for some beer! And they are selling it. Good for them. Did it on their terms, in total control. As it should be.
@decaturwinedude

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#28 Post by c fu » March 4th, 2018, 10:34 pm

People are flipping them at $9-15 a can depending on the cans. Treehouse is basically keeping certain segments of the economy alive every week.

I know a couple guys that buy 2x allocation every day every release. They are looking at over 250 cans a week that they sell and ship out 12 cans at a time. With $4-10 profit per can at a minimum they are bringing in $4000 a month. My friend is an accountant for breweries and he did a mock up of TH profits (from known data) and the money it generates from others selling it, it was a hilarious write up.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Mark Y » March 4th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Are these beers ageable? If not who can drink 114 cans in a couple of weeks?!
Y.e.

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » March 5th, 2018, 5:35 am

I wouldn't call any NEIPA 'ageable,' but some drinkers prefer them a few weeks on after they've settled down. I go through this quite a bit with Other Half. Some beers are actually better 3-4 weeks down the road vs fresh.

The big problem I have with the trading and movement though is how it affects taste. I get my OH cans fresh and cold and they stay that way over time.

If you ship and they warm up, not sure how that affects flavor.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Brian Lynch

#31 Post by Brian Lynch » March 5th, 2018, 6:17 am

I just learned recently about what Brent said above. I brought some TH to my favorite sushi bar and shared a can with some Beer geeks who were sitting next to me. They appreciated the beer but told me it was a bit “green” and would be even better in two weeks. Not sure if that rule applies to all IPAs and I have not confirmed this theory but I may try in the future. My takeaway was 1 month after canning date would be optimal

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#32 Post by c fu » March 5th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Brian Lynch wrote:I just learned recently about what Brent said above. I brought some TH to my favorite sushi bar and shared a can with some Beer geeks who were sitting next to me. They appreciated the beer but told me it was a bit “green” and would be even better in two weeks. Not sure if that rule applies to all IPAs and I have not confirmed this theory but I may try in the future. My takeaway was 1 month after canning date would be optimal
depends on the beer. Like TH Very Green is VERY GREEN on release. Needs a few weeks to get rid of that vegetable flavor. But Haze is great fresh.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Brian Lynch

#33 Post by Brian Lynch » March 8th, 2018, 8:57 pm

It was Alter Ego and I did not detect a big difference two weeks later, but the gurus may well have. Will do a controlled test at some point.

Dennis Atick

#34 Post by Dennis Atick » March 9th, 2018, 9:33 am

Brian Lynch wrote:It was Alter Ego and I did not detect a big difference two weeks later, but the gurus may well have. Will do a controlled test at some point.
Alter Ego can go pretty long, as can Sap and Haze. Sometimes you get lucky, I had a Green from an xmas run last week that was still very good.
@decaturwinedude

Dennis Atick

#35 Post by Dennis Atick » March 21st, 2018, 3:19 pm

My brother sent me a pic of his receipt from Treehouse this afternoon. Right under $500. And he left a few Catharsis behind.
Nice unannounced release of Human Condition stout (3 cans/pp)
And Fresh Dr. J is always good!
@decaturwinedude

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » April 19th, 2018, 9:54 am

One of our contractors here at work is one of the co-owners/investors of TH. I asked him why he is still working here. He said they are still pumping almost all of the money back into growing the business.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#37 Post by c fu » April 20th, 2018, 1:12 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:One of our contractors here at work is one of the co-owners/investors of TH. I asked him why he is still working here. He said they are still pumping almost all of the money back into growing the business.
They also got a monster loan to pay back.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Dennis Atick

#38 Post by Dennis Atick » April 30th, 2018, 8:47 am

I made my first trip to Treehouse on Thursday while visiting my brother in CT. We arrived at 10:30 am (12pm opening) hoping to score some King Julius, but it was tapped the night before. At 10:30, there were already 30-40 cars ahead of us in the lower parking lot. It is such a scene. They did a beautiful job with the building and grounds.

And there must be a helluva lot of flipping going on as there were too many grandma and grandpa types that showed up with their dollies and wheeled off with the full allocation Thursday, which was around 8 cases and almost $1k worth of beer.
@decaturwinedude

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#39 Post by c fu » April 30th, 2018, 8:06 pm

Dennis Atick wrote:I made my first trip to Treehouse on Thursday while visiting my brother in CT. We arrived at 10:30 am (12pm opening) hoping to score some King Julius, but it was tapped the night before. At 10:30, there were already 30-40 cars ahead of us in the lower parking lot. It is such a scene. They did a beautiful job with the building and grounds.

And there must be a helluva lot of flipping going on as there were too many grandma and grandpa types that showed up with their dollies and wheeled off with the full allocation Thursday, which was around 8 cases and almost $1k worth of beer.
it's an industry!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#40 Post by Jorge Henriquez » May 1st, 2018, 4:01 am

Gramps & Grams need that mule $ for Depends and Metamucil (the OG hazy IPA).
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

BRhoades

#41 Post by BRhoades » May 1st, 2018, 4:53 pm

Dennis Atick wrote:I made my first trip to Treehouse on Thursday while visiting my brother in CT. We arrived at 10:30 am (12pm opening) hoping to score some King Julius, but it was tapped the night before. At 10:30, there were already 30-40 cars ahead of us in the lower parking lot. It is such a scene. They did a beautiful job with the building and grounds.

Other than the parking and allocations this sounds just like any other can release at Monkish, welcome to the brave new world of highly sought after IPAs and the $$$$ they can bring.

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on May 1st, 2018, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It aint wine all the time

BRhoades

#42 Post by BRhoades » May 1st, 2018, 4:54 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:Gramps & Grams need that mule $ for Depends and Metamucil (the OG hazy IPA).
Have they released a DDH Metamucil yet ?

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#43 Post by BRhoades » May 1st, 2018, 5:17 pm

Robert M yers wrote:Wow they are really printing money right now if folks are buying 3-4 hundred dollars of beer each.
You will be surprised to see how low the GP margins are on can sales, these size breweries are way more profitable on tasting room pours. High quality hops at the rate they use them and canning are not cheap by any stretch.

Cheers,

Bud

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#44 Post by c fu » May 3rd, 2018, 8:38 am

BRhoades wrote:
You will be surprised to see how low the GP margins are on can sales, these size breweries are way more profitable on tasting room pours. High quality hops at the rate they use them and canning are not cheap by any stretch.

Cheers,

Bud
seeing how adverse TH is to selling pours, I gotta think the profit gap is much smaller than you think.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Bob Kot

#45 Post by Bob Kot » June 17th, 2018, 7:08 am

Trillium ---------------
• The Canton, MA location has the easiest travel access.
• Smooth, easy and seamless transactions with respectable allocations.
• The Ultimate beer brewer and retailer. Class Act!

Treehouse ---------------
• Even with their new Charlton MA location, they still have transactional process and operational
challenges in selling there beer. They’ve improved and are evolving.
• Allocations are skimpy as they have not scaled up.

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by ClarkstonMark » June 17th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Bob Kot wrote:Trillium ---------------

• Even with their new Charlton MA location, they still have transactional process and operational
RE: Treehouse - I have seen typical allocations of 5-7 cases per person per day. Maybe you are talking about whale allocations, but 5 cases of beer per person seems pretty damn reasonable.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Peter C.

Re: Sourcing Trillium/Tree House, Boston NEIPAs

#47 Post by Peter C. » October 22nd, 2018, 4:17 pm

ClarkstonMark wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 1:00 pm
Bob Kot wrote:Trillium ---------------

RE: Treehouse - I have seen typical allocations of 5-7 cases per person per day. Maybe you are talking about whale allocations, but 5 cases of beer per person seems pretty damn reasonable.
This is correct - most days you can walk away with $500+ worth of beer if you desire. There is an occasional weekend day when there are only 3 beers available but most days you can purchase as much beer as you'd like.
( z y ® y ( @

Return to “Beer and Spirits”