What SCOTCH are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
David K o l i n
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: What SCOTCH are you drinking?

#851 Post by David K o l i n »

Robert Burns night

M.Kaplan
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#852 Post by M.Kaplan »

In honor of Rabbie Burns, I opened this Glenfarclas 21 that my father purchased at the distillery 25+ years ago. Less sherried than current Farclas and a little smokier. Alas, no haggis this year.
dWqUds4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
—Mark

M.Kaplan
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#853 Post by M.Kaplan »

My friend Craig Daniels organized this bottling of Macallan 25 for his tasting group, the Earls of Zetland in Adelaide. There were 36 bottles, each with a personalized neck label. Dark, dark, clean as a whistle sweet sherry (not a hint of sulfur) bottled at 54% cask strength. Rarer than hens teeth and delicious. My bottle was hand carried from Australia by a friend almost 20 years ago and remains a highlight of my collection.
77eTnN4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
—Mark

ChrisW

#854 Post by ChrisW »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 8:58 pm
Pat P wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 2:27 pm I normally reach for the Islay's like, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Ardbeg and Laphroaig but I also enjoy on occasion Macallan, Balvenie and Abelour. Prices are really skyrocketing, I swear the last time I bought Lagavulin 16 it was around $65 and now it's $105. I'm jealous of those that can find the GOT for $25, I have never seen it.
Costco always has the Lagavulin 16 for $65.99.
= heaven
<@rv@n@

SJeffery

#855 Post by SJeffery »

ChrisW wrote: January 29th, 2021, 4:46 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 8:58 pm
Pat P wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 2:27 pm I normally reach for the Islay's like, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Ardbeg and Laphroaig but I also enjoy on occasion Macallan, Balvenie and Abelour. Prices are really skyrocketing, I swear the last time I bought Lagavulin 16 it was around $65 and now it's $105. I'm jealous of those that can find the GOT for $25, I have never seen it.
Costco always has the Lagavulin 16 for $65.99.
= heaven
Lagavulin 16 at Costco pricing is the only way to do it IMO. Price increases + tariff really stings on that whisky.

Currently drinking some Kilkerran 8 fully matured in ex-Bourbon barrels. Kilkerran 8 fully matured in re-charred ex-Oloroso casks is likely to be my next spirit purchase.
Scott J - Beer and spirit lover developing a palate for wine

David H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#856 Post by David H. »

For those here in the States, who have you had good luck with purchasing scotch from that ship? How have your experiences been with The Whisky Exchange and/or Master of Malt? Any good places stateside?

I have one or two really good places in the tri-county area here in Florida but they don't always have what I'm looking for.

Thanks.
H @ y c º c k

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#857 Post by Jay $$ Winton »

High malt prices have driven me to blends for now; a 1.75 of Pinch 15 was $65.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Mike Cohen

#858 Post by Mike Cohen »

What style is Famous Grouse? I saw a recipe for a cocktail that called for it and before I buy a bottle, I'd love to know if I had a bottle on hand that I could sub instead.

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#859 Post by Mike Grammer »

Michael S. Monie wrote: January 18th, 2021, 2:12 pm Any thoughts on Linkwood 15 year old bottled by Gordon & MacPhail?
Sorry, Michael, just checking back in on the thread. It's nice--very Linkwood for me in that it's smooth and elegant and lifted. Not a world-beater, but glad to have it in my cabinet. 8/10?

Reporting in on 2 new treasures that entered the cabinet. A 24 yr. Clynelish that was a special bottling for Kensington Wine Market in Calgary is friggin' sensational. Smoke but definitely not from peat, real elegance, carries it's 52% + with no need for drop-of-water addition, lovely feel and hint of salinity. 10/10 everything I like about Clynelish is in here plus the smoky aspect that is fascinating (and I've never before had in one of these). Other friends got marked berry tastes on the palate.

A 22 yr Cadenhead small batch Glenrothes is good. Excellent balance (checks in at 49%), a trifle sweeter than I'm used to with Glenrothes, but good carry, finish and persistence. 7.5/10
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

CGlescher

#860 Post by CGlescher »

My single malt infinity bottle.

C h r i s

BryanG

#861 Post by BryanG »

Mike Grammer wrote: February 25th, 2021, 6:13 am A 24 yr. Clynelish that was a special bottling for Kensington Wine Market in Calgary is friggin' sensational. Smoke but definitely not from peat, real elegance, carries it's 52% + with no need for drop-of-water addition, lovely feel and hint of salinity.
Supremely jealous! Smoke-not-from-peat is delicious. How waxy?

I'm drinking the Caol Ila 2018 Year Feis Isle that offers the same type of smoke and salinity, plus a nice nice bit of oily/waxy elements.
Bryan G
Wine. Scotch. Beer. Yes Please.

Edward H. Earles

#862 Post by Edward H. Earles »

BryanG wrote: February 26th, 2021, 2:52 pm
I'm drinking the Caol Ila 2018 Year Feis Isle that offers the same type of smoke and salinity, plus a nice nice bit of oily/waxy elements.
That sounds nice. Where do you get it?

I haven't seen it around where I live.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#863 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Mike Grammer wrote: February 25th, 2021, 6:13 am A 24 yr. Clynelish that was a special bottling for Kensington Wine Market in Calgary is friggin' sensational. Smoke but definitely not from peat, real elegance, carries it's 52% + with no need for drop-of-water addition, lovely feel and hint of salinity.
Supremely jealous! Smoke-not-from-peat is delicious. How waxy?

The 2018 Caol Isla Feis was good for sure, though I liked the 2019 even better. I can't say I thought smoke was non-peaty, though.
Edward H. Earles wrote: February 26th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Don't know where you live, but if you're in the US, I'm not surprised. We don't see a lot of the festival bottles here. With people lining up at the distillery for them, I'm guessing no one sees a lot of them anywhere!
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#864 Post by Mike Grammer »

Only a little bit of waxy, more a sense of ultimate smoothness.

As mentioned, this was a special bottling for this store, which is the whisky shrine of Canada, basically. There are only 185 bottles of it in circulation. Sarah---I'll try to save some to bring to you guys when it's finally safe to do an east coast trip :)

Justine DiPrete
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#865 Post by Justine DiPrete »

The Balvenie 12 is my go to, I don't like overly peaty scotch and this is the probably the smoothest one I've tried.
Sip Wines
Co-founder

Eugene Bayani
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#866 Post by Eugene Bayani »

BenRiach The Original 10, warm & tasty. Great price!

David H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#867 Post by David H. »

Had an opportunity to enjoy "This Is Not A Luxury Whisky" from Compass Box this past weekend. What an amazing dram! Moved to the top of my list of bottles to buy in the near term, if I can locate one.

Also had Phenomenology, unfortunately, this was brought out after TINALW. While it was overpowered, the softness and femininity of the whisky was present. Looking forward to trying both again, in reverse order.
H @ y c º c k

Corey N.

#868 Post by Corey N. »

US suspends tariffs on single malt Scotch whisky

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56279525
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Not a green haired white girl.

Nøv¡¢k

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#869 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Corey N. wrote: March 4th, 2021, 6:01 am US suspends tariffs on single malt Scotch whisky

This is SUCH good news.

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#870 Post by Al Osterheld »

Corey N. wrote: March 4th, 2021, 6:01 am US suspends tariffs on single malt Scotch whisky

Also Stilton and kilts.

-Al

Corey N.

#871 Post by Corey N. »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: March 4th, 2021, 8:35 am

This is SUCH good news.
I am nothing, if not a bringer of merriment to all.

(agreed, good news)
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Not a green haired white girl.

Nøv¡¢k

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#872 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Very good news. Hopefully European wine is next!
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

CGlescher

#873 Post by CGlescher »

Awesome, and thanks for sharing the link. [cheers.gif]
C h r i s

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#874 Post by K John Joseph »

Glendronach 18 Allardice - Fairly heavily sherried scotch with big fruitcake and spice notes. Issue here is the wood. It's drying to the point of tannic, and while the sherry and spice notes are nice, I can't help but think that the wood is just a bit too dominant. Still, an enjoyable dram.
J0hn-J-K4ne

BryanG

#875 Post by BryanG »

Edward H. Earles wrote: February 26th, 2021, 4:38 pm

It's delightful! I'm in Los Angeles, but bought it at the distillery.

I've been drinking it slowly as I know I won't get it again!
Bryan G
Wine. Scotch. Beer. Yes Please.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#876 Post by K John Joseph »

Compass Box - The Spice Tree - Deep amber color, aged in french and american oak. Ginger snap, toasted oak, vanilla, and toffee, hint of red fruit. Reasonably smooth and enjoyable. Appropriately named.
J0hn-J-K4ne

RTP Latham Richard DBA

#877 Post by RTP Latham Richard DBA »

Johnny Walker Black Label, with VERY occasionally a glass of Johnny Walker Blue Label. In vile weather a single malt (several are OK). RTPL

M.Kaplan
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#878 Post by M.Kaplan »

My all-time favorite Bunnahabhain. Whyte and Whyte was a small Signatory importer who chose some fantastic casks of 1950s-1970’s distillate. This 25 year old Bunny was aged in a perfect fresh sherry cask (not a hint of sulphur) and bottled at 53.3 abv. My drinking pal, Brian McHenry, nicknamed it “The Poorman’s Black Bowmore” due to its similar profile to the legend. I paid $124.95 for this bottle in the late 1990’s, during the golden age of Scotch whisky for the consumer. If you find any Whyte and Whyte dusties, buy them.
1EF966FC-569B-45C2-897B-867D66FC7B5C.jpeg
—Mark

D@vid R0sewater

#879 Post by D@vid R0sewater »

Anyone have a strong opinion/experience with Gordon & Macphail bottlings?

EDIT: should have searched first - I see some opinions earlier in this thread...oh well newhere

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#880 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

not exactly "drinking" ... yet ... but today I bought the last bottle on the shelf of a cask strength single cask bottling for Trader Joe's from Mannochmore. 14 yo. 54.3% abv. They actually denote the exact cask (#4279), and the total number of bottles (168). Ex-bourbon fill. Bottled by Alexander Murray & Co.. Consider this 750 mL was $60, it's pretty much going to have to completely suck for this to not have been worth it. Fingers crossed that it's a diamond in the rough!
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#881 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:30 pm not exactly "drinking" ... yet ... but today I bought the last bottle on the shelf of a cask strength single cask bottling for Trader Joe's from Mannochmore. 14 yo. 54.3% abv. They actually denote the exact cask (#4279), and the total number of bottles (168). Ex-bourbon fill. Bottled by Alexander Murray & Co.. Consider this 750 mL was $60, it's pretty much going to have to completely suck for this to not have been worth it. Fingers crossed that it's a diamond in the rough!
Certainly sounds promising - let us know!

Michael S. Monie

#882 Post by Michael S. Monie »

Any thoughts on Glenfarclas 25 yr old?
Hubris Gravitas

Of the myriad of involvements in living, there are two primary obligations: to know one's self and to be kind. And the more one engages in one, the more the other becomes apparent.

Edward H. Earles

#883 Post by Edward H. Earles »

This is SUCH good news.
Does anyone have an estimate of when we'll see the impacts in stores? Caol Ila 12 is $100/bottle here now. [swearing.gif]

Edward H. Earles

#884 Post by Edward H. Earles »

M.Kaplan wrote: January 27th, 2021, 1:37 pm In honor of Rabbie Burns, I opened this Glenfarclas 21 that my father purchased at the distillery 25+ years ago. Less sherried than current Farclas and a little smokier. Alas, no haggis this year.
My neighbor has 4 sheep. I'm going to see if I can talk her out of one (or, at least, out of the pluck if she slaughters one for her own use). I like haggis but can't get a decent one here in KY. I'll just make my own if I can get the ingredients.

I asked a grocer one time why no one sells real haggis here (or just about anywhere else in the U.S., as far as I can tell). He told me that it's against USDA rules to sell sheep lungs...apparently an issue related to fear of some disease. I think I could make do with the liver, heart and stomach. Heck, I have frozen hearts and livers...just need the stomach.

Edit: you can get takeaway haggis and chips in Scotland. Must be great after a pub crawl. The sample in the image looks like it's been deep-fried....not sure how that would be.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#885 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Edward H. Earles wrote: April 13th, 2021, 8:20 am

This is SUCH good news.
Does anyone have an estimate of when we'll see the impacts in stores? Caol Ila 12 is $100/bottle here now. [swearing.gif]
It's unclear when prices might come down, or if they will at all. Right now, with the suspension only temporary, many importers are not changing their prices.

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#886 Post by Mike Grammer »

This is SUCH good news.
Yeah, goodness---I paid just a little less than that in Canadian pesos.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#887 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Michael S. Monie wrote: April 12th, 2021, 1:55 pm Any thoughts on Glenfarclas 25 yr old?
Excellent.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#888 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Edward H. Earles wrote: April 13th, 2021, 8:28 am
M.Kaplan wrote: January 27th, 2021, 1:37 pm In honor of Rabbie Burns, I opened this Glenfarclas 21 that my father purchased at the distillery 25+ years ago. Less sherried than current Farclas and a little smokier. Alas, no haggis this year.
My neighbor has 4 sheep. I'm going to see if I can talk her out of one (or, at least, out of the pluck if she slaughters one for her own use). I like haggis but can't get a decent one here in KY. I'll just make my own if I can get the ingredients.

I asked a grocer one time why no one sells real haggis here (or just about anywhere else in the U.S., as far as I can tell). He told me that it's against USDA rules to sell sheep lungs...apparently an issue related to fear of some disease. I think I could make do with the liver, heart and stomach. Heck, I have frozen hearts and livers...just need the stomach.

Edit: you can get takeaway haggis and chips in Scotland. Must be great after a pub crawl. The sample in the image looks like it's been deep-fried....not sure how that would be.

You're killin' me! I miss haggis something fierce. (same with real black pudding)

SJeffery

#889 Post by SJeffery »

This is SUCH good news.
A distributor told me that the tariff suspension is not what you all think it will mean. As it is a suspension it's not truly lifted. Distributors will potentially be applying for rebates of sorts on the tariffs they're still paying during this time period. Retailers may not be getting this kick back. I am hopeful that this is untrue, but so far I have seen absolutely nothing go down in price at the distributor.

That being said...

I'm drinking some Kilkerran 8 Cask Strength (whichever batch is 55.7% abv). The Springbank affiliated whiskies can be so damn odd. They seem to show well at first, then go downhill substantially, then eventually come back around. This one was originally more tropical fruit, coconutty, and had a bit of peat. Now it is giving off more vanilla and a bit of a cheesecake aroma (think slightly tart + slightly creamy +vanilla to achieve that unique note). This is showing better with less water added, but typically I enjoy whisky closer to 45%. With the tariffs and with raising prices I can't recommend these to everyone, but this certainly turned out to be a rewarding whisky.

Edit: Didn't realize the last time I chimed in on this thread was when I was drinking the exact same whisky. Oh well. I did buy and try the re-charred Oloroso matured Kilkerran 8 and while it is drastically different, it is certainly an amazing Whisky just as its Bourbon matured counterpart is.
Scott J - Beer and spirit lover developing a palate for wine

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#890 Post by John Osburn »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: April 16th, 2021, 7:05 pm
Edward H. Earles wrote: April 13th, 2021, 8:28 am

You're killin' me! I miss haggis something fierce. (same with real black pudding)
We can obtain decent haggis around these parts, fortunately...although it’s never as good as at my favorite chippie in Scotland....

Edward H. Earles

#891 Post by Edward H. Earles »

Brian, I found a store in Greensboro and another in Michigan that sell black puddings and white puddings. PM me if you want the web sites, although you can find them easily enough with a google search. I plan to visit Greensboro next month and will return with black and white puddings, kippers and finnan haddie. [cheers.gif]

JulianD

#892 Post by JulianD »

SJeffery wrote: April 16th, 2021, 10:20 pm Edit: Didn't realize the last time I chimed in on this thread was when I was drinking the exact same whisky. Oh well. I did buy and try the re-charred Oloroso matured Kilkerran 8 and while it is drastically different, it is certainly an amazing Whisky just as its Bourbon matured counterpart is.
I've been looking for the first fill sherry 8 year and can't find it anywhere (I only see the 12, which is mainly bourbon I believe)
Davies

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#893 Post by K John Joseph »

Compass Box - Rogue's Banquet. A fun blend here. Silky smooth and long with an interesting balance of big dried tropical fruit and apricot notes, warm baking spices, smoke, and english toffee. Good stuff.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Return to “Beer and Spirits”