What SCOTCH are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What SCOTCH are you drinking?

#801 Post by Al Osterheld »

I like Clynelish, Mortlach is a Speyside I like.

-Al

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#802 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

From Speyside, I love Aberlour, but that is based primarily on their 10 yo (which we don't often see in the States) and some single barrels I've had.

Additionally, I feel comfortable recommending the following: Cragganmore; Glenfarclas (but be ready for the sherry); Mannochmore; and Mortlach. Glenfarclas and Mortlach are probably my top 2 here.

Almost making the list: Longmorn
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

D@vid R0sewater

#803 Post by D@vid R0sewater »

Excellent - thanks for all the recommendations! On the Glenfarclas, how would you rank the 12 yr, 15 yr, 21 and 25 and why?

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#804 Post by Rodrigo B »

Funny enough, the 15 is probably the hardest standard bottling from Glenfarclas to find in the US as I believe it's not usually imported in, so I don't have much experience with the 15. Obviously YMMV, but my order of preference with Glenfarclas is as follows:

17 - my favourite from their lineup. I think this is their sweet spot for time spent in barrels. It manages to be both intense in sherry profile, while also feeling delicate. My guess is due to the ABV, but I'm not complaining about it in this dram. I usually don't add water to it though as I already think it's. in its sweet spot. Would love to try this at cask strength
12 - much cheaper than the 17, but lacking some of that complexity. Great bang for your buck though
105- their standard cask strength bottling. Worth seeking out. It used to come with a 10 year age statement on the back, but newer bottlings are NAS. I'd rank it higher than the 12 if it wasn't more expensive than the 17
25 - leans much more towards those deeper dried fruit notes and spices. Very good scotch, but as I usually prefer the lighter style of the 17, this places lower.
21 - I likely take a controversial position on this scotch. Whenever I drink it, I always think it is in an awkward spot. It's lost the sweet, fruity and delicate notes of the 17, but hasn't quite developed the richer, dried fruits and spice flavour profile of the 25. Honestly, if I were Glenfarclas, I'd just discontinue this and age the stock a bit more for the 25.
B r @ g @

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#805 Post by Al Osterheld »

I second the Cragganmore recommendation.

-Al

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#806 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

And I second Mannochmore, via indy bottlers, mostly.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#807 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Off in the stratosphere, the Glenfarclas 105 40 year, done only once in 2011, is other worldly good. The exception to everything I said about older spirits. Manages a whopping 60% at 40 years, which is magical. Very expensive, of course, but worth chasing at auction (now that I have enough for me stocked away.)

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#808 Post by Rodrigo B »

Sarah - not specific to Mannochmore, but I'm curious to know if you and Jonathan have any favourite/go-to indy bottlers overall
B r @ g @

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#809 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Rodrigo B wrote: December 21st, 2020, 5:25 pm Sarah - not specific to Mannochmore, but I'm curious to know if you and Jonathan have any favourite/go-to indy bottlers overall
That's a tough one since so many of my favorites either aren't available in this country or are no longer available at all, except at auction, or aren't as good anymore. Unfortunately, almost all of them are more variable than they used to be - the casks just aren't there in the same quantity and quality as they used to be. Still, for the record: Kingsbury is great, but really only in Japan. I like some of the Silver Seal bottlings. The old Rare Malt series was very good. Old Adelphi, but not so much anymore. Some Signatory can be good still. Of course old Samaroli. Cadenhead's can be good, depending. Gordon & Macphail, again depending.

Give us a few years and we hope to be doing some ourselves. Fingers crossed.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#810 Post by Rodrigo B »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 6:36 am
Rodrigo B wrote: December 21st, 2020, 5:25 pm Sarah - not specific to Mannochmore, but I'm curious to know if you and Jonathan have any favourite/go-to indy bottlers overall
That's a tough one since so many of my favorites either aren't available in this country or are no longer available at all, except at auction, or aren't as good anymore. Unfortunately, almost all of them are more variable than they used to be - the casks just aren't there in the same quantity and quality as they used to be. Still, for the record: Kingsbury is great, but really only in Japan. I like some of the Silver Seal bottlings. The old Rare Malt series was very good. Old Adelphi, but not so much anymore. Some Signatory can be good still. Of course old Samaroli. Cadenhead's can be good, depending. Gordon & Macphail, again depending.

Very exciting! I'll look into your recommendations while eagerly awaiting your and Jonathan's own IBs. Best of luck to you in that endeavour! champagne.gif
B r @ g @

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#811 Post by K John Joseph »

Glenrothes 24 year Lustau - Oxidative sherry notes give the initial nose a creamy, nutty, caramel note backed by a surprisingly bright orange peel citrus element that keeps things from getting cloying. Hints of wood and heath bar help things build and add a layer of complexity. This is a really lovely sherry-driven scotch, and the citrus element keeps things in balance. Yum.

Highland Park Cask Strength No. 1 - This is a big bruiser at 63.3% abv. Slightly more closed on the nose than the Glenrothes at first and high octane. Viscous on the pour. With a little water this starts giving off a nice intense honey, grass, spice, dried apricot, and musk. This is pretty solid. High octane dram, this.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#812 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Not Sarah, but I'll chime-in to say:
1. S.M.W.S. --- tend to select great, if not idiosyncratic, casks
2. Cadenhead's
3. Signatory --- given that some/many of these are actually watered-back, they did a surprisingly good job. (past tense because this opinion is based on numerous experiences that are all 5+ years old).
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

M.Kaplan
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#813 Post by M.Kaplan »

Sarah,
If you ever run across Kingsbury Ardbeg in your Japan travels, they are among the very best Ardbegs I've tasted. There were a couple of 1967 bottlings and a three year run 172, 1973, 1974. All are fantastic and have become expensive at auction. Worth a taste by the glass if you ever have the opportunity.
—Mark

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#814 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

M.Kaplan wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 1:30 pm

Sarah,
If you ever run across Kingsbury Ardbeg in your Japan travels, they are among the very best Ardbegs I've tasted. There were a couple of 1967 bottlings and a three year run 172, 1973, 1974. All are fantastic and have become expensive at auction. Worth a taste by the glass if you ever have the opportunity.
Thanks, Mark! I most certainly will be on the lookout. Sounds like something I would love, and that period encompasses both my and Jonathan's birthyears. Here's wholeheartedly hoping Japan (and many other) travels can resume again in 2021.

Mike Evans
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#815 Post by Mike Evans »

I broke out my A'bunadh Batch No. 8 tonight and it hit the spot. A little heat, but seasonally appropriate and not off-putting, it is still drinking well despite the bottle having been first opened many, many years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#816 Post by Rodrigo B »

Mike Evans wrote: December 29th, 2020, 5:45 pm I broke out my A'bunadh Batch No. 8 tonight and it hit the spot. A little heat, but seasonally appropriate and not off-putting, it is still drinking well despite the bottle having been first opened many, many years ago.
A'bunadh is one of those scotches that tends to surprise me at how well it drinks at full cask strength with no water added. I typically add a bit of water to most of my cask strength scotches, but I seem to mostly skip that with A'bunadh, which is surprising given that it's usually ~120 proof.
B r @ g @

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#817 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

I believe the Talisker 8 Year Annual Release 2020 has just arrived in the US. I haven't had the 2020 yet, but other Special Releases have been very good, well worth seeking out. 57.9% is a good spot for me, though I reserve judgement on the ex pot-still Rum cask from Jamaica.

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#818 Post by Mike Grammer »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: December 21st, 2020, 9:24 am
D@vid R0sewater wrote: December 21st, 2020, 9:05 am Thanks for all the comments - I do have a some experience, so I tend more toward the Speyside/Highlands (less peaty) types (not really a lot of experience with Lowlands distilleries) rather than the Islay peatier expressions, but on a rare occasion find myself looking for a real peat influence (usually turning to something like the basic Laphroig 10 or Lagavulin 16 or even an Oban 14).

its very tempting to grab older examples given that my guess is that anything over 21 years is shortly to be monetarily out of reach of mere mortals given that they are already pretty expensive, but I hear you that they are not necessarily better. What would you choose as your favorite distillery (choosing based on the 21 year or less range) in the Speyside mold (whether or not actually from Speyside)?
David - I really like the Clynelish 14 for something accessible and delicious. It is Highlands, and does have some peat, though not as much as most Islay malts you have probably had, and of a more heathery style. It is very clean, distinctive and friendly, easy to drink, not too much of anything. We don't drink a lot of non-cask strength at home, but this is one I can happily order in a bar and know I'll get something I can enjoy.
what she said (as usual [grin.gif]). I have had at least 4 bottles of this and never been disappointed.

Tilting a bit to the other views, Longmorn is not only my favourite Speyside but currently my favourite house overall. Of course, scotch lovers are even more diverse in taste than wine lovers at times. Older Benrinnes is splendid

Glendronach Allardice (responding to multiple posts in this one) = yum. Mind, Glendronach regular 12 is one of my top value picks

I tend to prefer cask strength too -- those are the whiskies I add a couple drops of water to in order to release the aromatics and some of the palate -- but if you're starting out, I would suggest starting at regular strength. The highest I've ever gone was actually a bourbon--listed at 72.4% I expected volcanic activity and it was actually much smoother than I thought, though still a wild ride :)
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#819 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Douglas Laing - Laphroaig 16 yo (for K&L)

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#820 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Heads up to all US whisky lovers - it looks like things just changed so now spirits in 700ml bottles are allowed to be sold in the US. This is excellent news for getting in a variety of interesting UK and EU bottlings!

Dave McCloskey

#821 Post by Dave McCloskey »

I'm drinking Lagavulin 16. Just the right amount of Peat.

ChrisW

#822 Post by ChrisW »

Dave McCloskey wrote: January 15th, 2021, 2:27 pm I'm drinking Lagavulin 16. Just the right amount of Peat.
Amen. If you can get your hands on the 10 don't hesitate. A very nice compliment to the 16
<@rv@n@

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#823 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

ChrisW wrote: January 15th, 2021, 3:01 pm
Dave McCloskey wrote: January 15th, 2021, 2:27 pm I'm drinking Lagavulin 16. Just the right amount of Peat.
Amen. If you can get your hands on the 10 don't hesitate. A very nice compliment to the 16
A Lagavulin 10? Really? I've never seen or heard of that. Perhaps you meant the 8 yo or 12yo? Or maybe the 11 yo Offerman's edition? Or maybe the Laphroaig 10 yo?

If Lagavulin is making a 10 yo, that is something I need to try.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#824 Post by Rodrigo B »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: January 15th, 2021, 3:24 pm
A Lagavulin 10? Really? I've never seen or heard of that. Perhaps you meant the 8 yo or 12yo? Or maybe the 11 yo Offerman's edition? Or maybe the Laphroaig 10 yo?

They released it a short while back. Duty Free exclusive for the most part. https://www.prnewswire.com/in/news-rele ... 33970.html
B r @ g @

ChrisW

#825 Post by ChrisW »

Rodrigo B wrote: January 15th, 2021, 3:32 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: January 15th, 2021, 3:24 pm

They released it a short while back. Duty Free exclusive for the most part. https://www.prnewswire.com/in/news-rele ... 33970.html
Picked it up at LHR in 2019 so that could be the case
<@rv@n@

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#826 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

New balvenie 21 single barrel traditional cask out, supposed to be good.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#827 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Hmmm, very interesting about that Lagavulin! I might just have to give it a try next time I'm travelling (who the hell knows when that will be!). Thanks for posting about it!

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#828 Post by Al Osterheld »

There is (was) also a Game of Thrones Lagavulin bottling that was 9 years old, one of the better GoT bottles.

-Al

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#829 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

I've seen that one around, Al. Quite frankly, the GoT tie-in scared me away.

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#830 Post by Al Osterheld »

Also leery of the GoT thing (and I've never watched or read the books), but the Lagavulin is quite interesting. I haven't had it side by side with the 8 year old, but similar level and worth trying at a decent price.

-Al

David H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#831 Post by David H. »

The GoT Lagavulin is quite nice. One of two bottles that were not relabeled expressions but completely new bottling.
H @ y c º c k

Sean Devaney

#832 Post by Sean Devaney »

The GoT Lagavulin is a steal. Was able to get it for $25 and the usual lament wish I bought more.

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#833 Post by Al Osterheld »

At that price, it's a definite steal.

-Al

Dave McCloskey

#834 Post by Dave McCloskey »

Thanks for the tip. I think I had some in Scotland a couple of years ago and enjoyed it.

Michael S. Monie

#835 Post by Michael S. Monie »

Any thoughts on Linkwood 15 year old bottled by Gordon & MacPhail?
Hubris Gravitas

Of the myriad of involvements in living, there are two primary obligations: to know one's self and to be kind. And the more one engages in one, the more the other becomes apparent.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#836 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Thanks for all the extra input on the GoT Lagavulin. I love Lagavulin, and I loved GoT, but the tie-in seemed way too gimmicky, and I have zero interest in buying a whisky that is selling on the strength of a popular TV show tie-in than on its own intrinsic merits.

and, Yes, at $25 I'd probably buy a couple cases. [wow.gif]

Benny P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#837 Post by Benny P »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: January 18th, 2021, 5:13 pm Thanks for all the extra input on the GoT Lagavulin. I love Lagavulin, and I loved GoT, but the tie-in seemed way too gimmicky, and I have zero interest in buying a whisky that is selling on the strength of a popular TV show tie-in than on its own intrinsic merits.

It looks like you're located on the Westside of LA, but if you ever make it out to Pasadena (or they also ship in CA) Mission Wine & Spirits had it in stock for $25 a pop last time I checked this past weekend.
Ben P@scu@l

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#838 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Benny P wrote: January 18th, 2021, 5:32 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: January 18th, 2021, 5:13 pm Thanks for all the extra input on the GoT Lagavulin. I love Lagavulin, and I loved GoT, but the tie-in seemed way too gimmicky, and I have zero interest in buying a whisky that is selling on the strength of a popular TV show tie-in than on its own intrinsic merits.

It looks like you're located on the Westside of LA, but if you ever make it out to Pasadena (or they also ship in CA) Mission Wine & Spirits had it in stock for $25 a pop last time I checked this past weekend.
Thanks for this tip!

Otto Dobre
GCC Member
GCC Member

#839 Post by Otto Dobre »

Bought 4 bottles of the GoT Lagavulin for $25 and I have to say that it is the best bargain for Scotch drinkers who like smokey, peaty ones. Poured one GoT and one regular 16 year old, and I cannot tell the difference. So, go for it, if not for you, for a nice inexpensive gift.

BeauT

#840 Post by BeauT »

Some of the replies above nailed this one right, aberlour a'bunadh batch 63 in the cabinet, at the 61% ABV you would think it would be a potent pour but oh no, try it. Oban 18 for the daily pour win, balvenie Caribbean cask for something different and a new style I really enjoy is the hard to find Hakushu 12, which if anyone is searching for one or more for their cabinet, I know a guy
T o o z

Benny P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#841 Post by Benny P »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: January 19th, 2021, 1:05 pm
Benny P wrote: January 18th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Thanks for this tip!
Sure no problem, hope you were able to pick some up. Last week, each of their locations was showing more than 12 bottles each and looks like they are sold out now!
Ben P@scu@l

M.Kaplan
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#842 Post by M.Kaplan »

1990 Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist (2007 bottling). The last good Ardbeg and the best since Ardbeg 1977. If Hiram Walker could distill excellent spirit, why can't GlenMonsanto?
IMG_6189.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
—Mark

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#843 Post by Pat P »

I normally reach for the Islay's like, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Ardbeg and Laphroaig but I also enjoy on occasion Macallan, Balvenie and Abelour. Prices are really skyrocketing, I swear the last time I bought Lagavulin 16 it was around $65 and now it's $105. I'm jealous of those that can find the GOT for $25, I have never seen it.
P 1 5 @ N 0

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#844 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Pat P wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 2:27 pm I normally reach for the Islay's like, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Ardbeg and Laphroaig but I also enjoy on occasion Macallan, Balvenie and Abelour. Prices are really skyrocketing, I swear the last time I bought Lagavulin 16 it was around $65 and now it's $105. I'm jealous of those that can find the GOT for $25, I have never seen it.
Costco always has the Lagavulin 16 for $65.99. That was the whisky that saved whisky for me --- bought a bottle in college for $52 (a very big spend for me at the time) --- I had decided I was going to "get into Scotch, but not the bad stuff --- the good stuff." So, I bought a bottle of Dewar's 12. Blech! Then I realized I needed to buy single malts. Bought a Glenfiddich 12. Better, but still Blech! Bought a Glenlivet 12. Better, and no longer Blech!, but still not loving it, and at this point I've thrown about $100 at this endeavor, and it wasn't anywhere near paying off for me. So, I went to the liquor store, resolved to give Scotch *one last try.* I was going to spend up from the $30 I had been spending, thinking maybe I just wasn't spending enough. I read reviews. And I settled on the Lagavulin 16. Brought it home, poured a bit, and it was immediate love. The rest, as they say, is history. [training.gif]

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#845 Post by Pat P »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 8:58 pm
Pat P wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 2:27 pm I normally reach for the Islay's like, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Ardbeg and Laphroaig but I also enjoy on occasion Macallan, Balvenie and Abelour. Prices are really skyrocketing, I swear the last time I bought Lagavulin 16 it was around $65 and now it's $105. I'm jealous of those that can find the GOT for $25, I have never seen it.
Costco always has the Lagavulin 16 for $65.99. That was the whisky that saved whisky for me --- bought a bottle in college for $52 (a very big spend for me at the time) --- I had decided I was going to "get into Scotch, but not the bad stuff --- the good stuff." So, I bought a bottle of Dewar's 12. Blech! Then I realized I needed to buy single malts. Bought a Glenfiddich 12. Better, but still Blech! Bought a Glenlivet 12. Better, and no longer Blech!, but still not loving it, and at this point I've thrown about $100 at this endeavor, and it wasn't anywhere near paying off for me. So, I went to the liquor store, resolved to give Scotch *one last try.* I was going to spend up from the $30 I had been spending, thinking maybe I just wasn't spending enough. I read reviews. And I settled on the Lagavulin 16. Brought it home, poured a bit, and it was immediate love. The rest, as they say, is history. [training.gif]
That's a great story. My OMG Scotch was Bowmore 15, man that was good on the first sip, I knew I was onto something. I, like you, started with some less than memorable Scotch, mostly blends. Then my next door neighbor introduced me to some better Scotch but still, he wasn't into the Islay's so it took me a while longer to discover those.

Unfortunately, Costco doesn't sell alcohol I'm MD but I could make a trip across the river to VA.
P 1 5 @ N 0

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#846 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Bowmore 15! Oh, yes!! My wife has a sentimental story about Bowmore 15 --- that's pretty much her pet favorite. It's a nice dram. :)

So, no liquor sold at Costco in MD? That's a bummer!

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#847 Post by Pat P »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: January 24th, 2021, 11:41 am Bowmore 15! Oh, yes!! My wife has a sentimental story about Bowmore 15 --- that's pretty much her pet favorite. It's a nice dram. :)

Yes, excellent dram, still one of my favorites.

Turns out Costco doesn't sell liquor in VA either [swearing.gif], only beer and wine. Guess i'll have to go to DC, good thing I work there! [wow.gif]
P 1 5 @ N 0

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#848 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Pat P wrote: January 24th, 2021, 7:22 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: January 24th, 2021, 11:41 am Bowmore 15! Oh, yes!! My wife has a sentimental story about Bowmore 15 --- that's pretty much her pet favorite. It's a nice dram. :)

Turns out Costco doesn't sell liquor in VA either [swearing.gif], only beer and wine. Guess i'll have to go to DC, good thing I work there! [wow.gif]
Geeeez! What's a guy to do out there on the East Coast!?! [wow.gif]

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#849 Post by Pat P »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: January 24th, 2021, 10:14 pm
Pat P wrote: January 24th, 2021, 7:22 pm

Geeeez! What's a guy to do out there on the East Coast!?! [wow.gif]
Drive, because i'm not going to stop drinking! [soap.gif]
P 1 5 @ N 0

Alan Rath
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#850 Post by Alan Rath »

I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Return to “Beer and Spirits”