What SCOTCH are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
H. N o w b a r

Re: What SCOTCH are you drinking?

#701 Post by H. N o w b a r » April 4th, 2020, 2:35 pm

I've been doing my own taste tasting across the following whiskies during he Covid-19 crisis:

Macallan Rare Cask
Macallan 18

Highland Park 18
Macallan 15
Compass Box Spice Tree
Kirkland brand Macallan 15
Kirkland brand Speyside 20
Kirkland brand Speyside 22
Tomatin 14
Legent
Nikka from the barrel
Kavalan Distillery Select
High West A Midwinter Night’s Dram
Willett Pot Still Reserve
Old Weller Antique 107
Buffalo Trace
Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel Proof

All are delicious, but I've bolded my favorites so far. Looking forward to tasting these with my friends once we get through the Covid crisis.

Cheers,
H
H () s

Kelly Walker

#702 Post by Kelly Walker » April 4th, 2020, 3:57 pm

H. Nowbar wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 2:35 pm
I've been doing my own taste tasting across the following whiskies during he Covid-19 crisis:

All are delicious, but I've bolded my favorites so far. Looking forward to tasting these with my friends once we get through the Covid crisis.

Cheers,
H
H, is this a Costco brand?
I want to be known by my indulgences.

Kelly Walker

#703 Post by Kelly Walker » April 4th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Balvenie Double Wood 12 is such a go-to for me. Recently tried the 17. Very different profile. A lot more spice.

H. N o w b a r

#704 Post by H. N o w b a r » April 4th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Kelly Walker wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 3:57 pm
H. Nowbar wrote:

Cheers,
H
Yes, it is the Costco brand. Surprisingly, they still have it on the shelves in the Seattle area. It's a hearty whisky vs the Willett which I think is more nuanced. Both good in their own way. I'd drink the 22 on colder days and the Willett on warmer days.
H
H () s

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#705 Post by Mike Grammer » April 5th, 2020, 6:22 am

Welcome to the board, Hoss, and keep tasting!

More deets on the recent acquisition, Loch Lomond 18. Poured blind for me by my acolyte friend Dave (I love making scotch minions!), sweet and peat (just a little) combine with rich-ish yellow-based fruit and nicely spiced smooth and warming finish. I told him I'd guess 17 years or so (yay me) and that I'd be willing to fork over C$170-180 for this. Nope. C$110. Ran out and grabbed a bottle that day. Probably about a 7/10, maybe inching up to 7.5 but those still belong in one's cabinet.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#706 Post by Mike Grammer » April 5th, 2020, 6:29 am

LMD Ermitaño wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 11:50 am
Old Pulteney 17 Years - Notable complexity and layers. Light footed without sacrificing depth and palate presence. Moderately priced. I’ll make sure this continues to be stocked at home as much as possible (available).
I haven't had Old Pulteney in quite a while, Luis, but the 17 year was always the one that made the most impact with me....though still being mostly on the pleasant side--7/10? Agree, I like trying to check for people's notes and thoughts on HP now, which I didn't have to do a decade ago. A'Bunadh. mmmmm. And you got a big one there with 60%+

Sipped some more of my Signatory Longmorn 16 last night. Looooove Longmorn.

JulianD

#707 Post by JulianD » April 5th, 2020, 11:37 am

Kelly Walker wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 3:59 pm
Balvenie Double Wood 12 is such a go-to for me. Recently tried the 17. Very different profile. A lot more spice.
Have you tried their Peat Week releases?
Davies

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#708 Post by Barry L i p t o n » April 5th, 2020, 11:52 am

A’bundah is cask strength so adding a wee bit of water is indicated.

I share others enthusiasm for it.

Kelly Walker

#709 Post by Kelly Walker » April 5th, 2020, 1:59 pm

JulianD wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 11:37 am
Kelly Walker wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 3:59 pm
Have you tried their Peat Week releases?
No. Significant peat on the palate? I like Balvenie for its fruit/citrus profile. Will keep an eye out for it

ChrisW

#710 Post by ChrisW » April 5th, 2020, 2:08 pm

H. N o w b a r wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Kelly Walker wrote:
H. Nowbar wrote:

Cheers,
H
Yes, it is the Costco brand. Surprisingly, they still have it on the shelves in the Seattle area. It's a hearty whisky vs the Willett which I think is more nuanced. Both good in their own way. I'd drink the 22 on colder days and the Willett on warmer days.
H
Costco makes its 'own' whiskey!?!? Any state where liquor can be sold with beer, wine? Prohibition continues to haunt us from the grave.
<@ru@n@

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#711 Post by Mark Golodetz » April 5th, 2020, 2:14 pm

I just received an e mail from a British importer offering full casks of Scotch still in barrel. Prices range from low $3k to $50k for Bowmore.

If you are interested send me an email, and I will pass on the information. I have no connection with them except I buy a fair amount of wine from them.
ITB

H. N o w b a r

#712 Post by H. N o w b a r » April 5th, 2020, 8:25 pm

ChrisW wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 2:08 pm
H. N o w b a r wrote:
Kelly Walker wrote:

H
Costco makes its 'own' whiskey!?!? Any state where liquor can be sold with beer, wine? Prohibition continues to haunt us from the grave.
Costco sells the whisky under their Kirkland brand, but it is distilled in Scotland. Here is a background article that I found on it:
https://www.simplyhealthyfamily.org/who ... nd-scotch/

Prohibition does indeed haunt us from the grave. The hefty tax levy on liquor sales in Washington State is painful as well.
H () s

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#713 Post by Len Stevens » April 8th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Just picked up the 17 yo Balvenie....can't wait!!!!

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#714 Post by Matt Latuchie » May 3rd, 2020, 2:54 pm

Had a nice glass of Springbank 10 last night. First time trying it and liked its tang and smoothness. I'm new to scotch with most of my experience with smokey/peaty distillers so this was a nice change.
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Al Osterheld

#715 Post by Al Osterheld » May 3rd, 2020, 4:53 pm

Springbank 10 or 12 was one of the first three single malts I bought, back around 1980 or 1981 (at the time, I was fond of a woman whose last name was Campbell). One of the others was an Oban, and I don't recall the third. The Springbank was my favorite, then it went through a period when it was difficult to find locally.

-Al

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#716 Post by Phil Smith » May 3rd, 2020, 7:50 pm

Had a friend stop by for some social distancing cigar smoking on the patio today and went a little nutty. Among a lot of great bourbon, some Balvenie 30 and Highland Park 25. Both exceptional, the Balvenie has the slight edge in my mind

JulianD

#717 Post by JulianD » May 3rd, 2020, 8:41 pm

Cadenhead's Islay living cask. (working my way through their different living cask bottlings)
Davies

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#718 Post by Phil Smith » May 23rd, 2020, 11:17 am

I’m a bit new to scotch but I’ve been enjoying it. Is there a reliable, relatively regular auction site for spirts? Something like a WineBid equivalent?

H. N o w b a r

#719 Post by H. N o w b a r » May 23rd, 2020, 6:43 pm

Phil Smith wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 11:17 am
I’m a bit new to scotch but I’ve been enjoying it. Is there a reliable, relatively regular auction site for spirts? Something like a WineBid equivalent?
I have the same question and very interested in the answer. I had done some cursory research and ran across this Whisky Advocate article: https://www.whiskyadvocate.com/where-to ... t-auction/ I've also seen some sites like Spectrum on Wine-Searcher but it would be great to find a WineBid equivalent.
H () s

Sarah Kirschbaum

#720 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 24th, 2020, 7:17 am

H. N o w b a r wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 6:43 pm
Phil Smith wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 11:17 am
I have the same question and very interested in the answer. I had done some cursory research and ran across this Whisky Advocate article: https://www.whiskyadvocate.com/where-to ... t-auction/ I've also seen some sites like Spectrum on Wine-Searcher but it would be great to find a WineBid equivalent.
Yes and no. There are several excellent sites, just not in the US. Our stupid laws and taxes treat spirits as if they were plutonium.

If you don't mind buying in the UK, though, these are closest to what you want, with monthly spirits auctions and good front end interfaces. Shipping to the US can be arranged.

https://www.whiskyauctioneer.com/?gclid ... dIQAvD_BwE

https://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com/

This one in Germany has been around for quite a while and is good, though it takes a little more work on the buyer's side.
https://whiskyauction.com/

In the US, it's just hit or miss when one of the larger wine auction houses have spirits auctions or include some spirits lots in a wine auction.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Doug Sher

#721 Post by Doug Sher » May 24th, 2020, 7:58 am

Hart, Davis, Hart has several spirits auctions per year. Here's a link to the results from the most recent sale:

https://auction.hdhwine.com/auctions/1- ... -mar-19-20

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#722 Post by Phil Smith » May 24th, 2020, 12:33 pm

I'm a big HDH fan and think they're the best auction house around. I'm also friends with a couple of their team, but with the move to DE shipping has become difficult. I figured that out when I just got the (3rd party) bill for $190 to ship 8 bottles of wine.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#723 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 24th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Phil Smith wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 12:33 pm
I'm a big HDH fan and think they're the best auction house around. I'm also friends with a couple of their team, but with the move to DE shipping has become difficult. I figured that out when I just got the (3rd party) bill for $190 to ship 8 bottles of wine.
HDH is great, the shipping issues aside - and, btw, the shipping issues are MUCH harder with spirits - but if you are looking for regularly scheduled week or monthly spirits auctions, rather than occasional one-offs, you're not going to find it in the US.

LMD Ermitaño

#724 Post by LMD Ermitaño » May 24th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Phil Smith wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 7:50 pm
Had a friend stop by for some social distancing cigar smoking on the patio today and went a little nutty. Among a lot of great bourbon, some Balvenie 30 and Highland Park 25. Both exceptional, the Balvenie has the slight edge in my mind
Nice! The Balvenie 30 I like a lot. I have yet to try the Highland Park 25 though. Having relatively recently gone quickly through a bottle of their 18, I very much look forward to trying out their 25.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#725 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » May 25th, 2020, 6:41 am

Phil Smith wrote:
Phil... this may change, it as of now, the spirits auctions are still pick up in Chicago.

They tend to have a great range and prices are fair.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#726 Post by Phil Smith » May 25th, 2020, 10:59 am

Clayton Wai-Poi wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 6:41 am
Phil Smith wrote:
Phil... this may change, it as of now, the spirits auctions are still pick up in Chicago.

They tend to have a great range and prices are fair.
Good to know Clayton. I’ve bid here and there in HDH’s spirits auctions but don’t think I’ve ever actually won anything. If I don’t have to screw around with the shipping that helps.

Sean Devaney

#727 Post by Sean Devaney » May 26th, 2020, 7:29 am

H. N o w b a r wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 8:25 pm
ChrisW wrote:
H. N o w b a r wrote:

H
Costco sells the whisky under their Kirkland brand, but it is distilled in Scotland. Here is a background article that I found on it:

Prohibition does indeed haunt us from the grave. The hefty tax levy on liquor sales in Washington State is painful as well.
Late to this post but 22yo is very nice. It is a Alexander Murray bottling of an un-named Speyside Distillery. My local Costco had a Alexander Murray 12yo Laphroaig cask strength that was excellent but when I went back it was gone.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#728 Post by Jay $$ Winton » May 26th, 2020, 8:48 am

Sean Devaney wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 7:29 am
H. N o w b a r wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 8:25 pm
ChrisW wrote:

Late to this post but 22yo is very nice. It is a Alexander Murray bottling of an un-named Speyside Distillery. My local Costco had a Alexander Murray 12yo Laphroaig cask strength that was excellent but when I went back it was gone.
I like the 22 year but about $30 more than the 21. Richer though than the 21 I think.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

LMD Ermitaño

#729 Post by LMD Ermitaño » June 22nd, 2020, 9:30 am

Picked this up yesterday out of curiosity, thinking my eldest would like it. He, apparently, knew about it; but hadn’t tried it yet - seemed quite excited; so I was pleased.

Had some with him after dinner: lots of Sherry character, for sure, with pronounced dusty old wood notes, chocolate, slight smokiness, mild underlying tobacco, slightly honeyed dried fruit, etc. Spicy finish. Pretty good, rich stuff. That said, it’s the kind I’d have one or two pours after dinner; but not more. My son said it’s a whisky for my cigars. He was right.
Attachments
06CF9AEA-0BE7-4DE0-B7F7-98ACCCAFCAB6.jpeg

ERPark

#730 Post by ERPark » June 22nd, 2020, 7:54 pm

Glendronach does some really, really good stuff, especially if it’s been finished in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks. Went deep on a few cases of the 19 year single cask from 1995........

47DFD6A5-EC36-40C5-88BB-4468AE73FE54.jpeg
GEN3

LMD Ermitaño

#731 Post by LMD Ermitaño » June 22nd, 2020, 8:59 pm

ERPark wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 7:54 pm
Glendronach does some really, really good stuff, especially if it’s been finished in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks. Went deep on a few cases of the 19 year single cask from 1995........

Sounds good! Found some via winesearcher - offered in London at the equivalent of roughly $250/bottle. Will order one or two.

ERPark

#732 Post by ERPark » June 22nd, 2020, 9:43 pm

LMD Ermitaño wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 8:59 pm
ERPark wrote:

Sounds good! Found some via winesearcher - offered in London at the equivalent of roughly $250/bottle. Will order one or two.
Too bad alcohol isn't allowed in balikbayan boxes, or I’d send you some via one of my Filipino friends!
GEN3

LMD Ermitaño

#733 Post by LMD Ermitaño » June 23rd, 2020, 10:45 pm

[worship.gif]
ERPark wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 9:43 pm
LMD Ermitaño wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 8:59 pm
ERPark wrote:

Too bad alcohol isn't allowed in balikbayan boxes, or I’d send you some via one of my Filipino friends!
Appreciate the thought, thanks!

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#734 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 24th, 2020, 12:59 pm

A few **cases** of a whisky!!??!! Dang.

Did you buy for personal consumption, investment, some of both, or something else? That quantity strikes me as crazy.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Sarah Kirschbaum

#735 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 24th, 2020, 1:03 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Did you buy for personal consumption, investment, some of both, or something else? That quantity strikes me as crazy.
Wow! Even we've never done that except with casks we bottled ourselves. I'm sure it's good stuff, though. Have some 1995 and 1992 21 year Glen Dronach.

ERPark

#736 Post by ERPark » June 24th, 2020, 9:36 pm

I was a whisky drinker before I became a whiskey drinker. The GlenDronach fell into my lap at an amazing price point, so I would’ve been foolish not to buy all they had (23 bottles total). Was just in my cellar today, and I still have two full 6 bottle cases, plus another 3 loose bottles. Have gifted a few to clients, coworkers and friends, and consumed the rest. It’s dangerously good, drinking way smoother than the 53.4% ABV that it packs....... [drinkers.gif]
GEN3

Will Clements
GCC Member
GCC Member

#737 Post by Will Clements » June 26th, 2020, 6:37 am

Tullibardine 20 has been my go to for a while

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#738 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 26th, 2020, 6:06 pm

ERPark wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 9:36 pm

I was a whisky drinker before I became a whiskey drinker. The GlenDronach fell into my lap at an amazing price point, so I would’ve been foolish not to buy all they had (23 bottles total). Was just in my cellar today, and I still have two full 6 bottle cases, plus another 3 loose bottles. Have gifted a few to clients, coworkers and friends, and consumed the rest. It’s dangerously good, drinking way smoother than the 53.4% ABV that it packs....... [drinkers.gif]
Cool.

I've been drinking whisky for about 20 years now (albeit at *significantly* reduced rate since returning to CA). I bet only Aberlour 10 comes even close to an over-my-lifetime purchased quantity of 2 cases, and that's because I could routinely get it for $30, give or take a few dollars, when I lived in England, and it was my "daily drinker," whisky. Congrats on finding the good deal! champagne.gif
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

bweimer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#739 Post by bweimer » June 26th, 2020, 6:27 pm

Last night's Zoom tasting with OC Scotch Club:

Aberlour A'Bunadh batch 64
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Balvenie Tun 1509 batch 6
BenRiach Cask Strength batch 2
Glengoyne Cask Strength batch No. 004
Laphroaig Lore
Bruce Weimer

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#740 Post by M.Kaplan » June 26th, 2020, 8:00 pm

I’ve been at this longer than most. 20 or so years ago it became clear that whisky quality was heading into the outhouse and I stocked up on the whiskies I liked. At one point I owned more than 100 bottles of the old Springbank 12/100 (if you know, you know); now I’m down to my last dozen. Similarly, my Ardbeg holdings have been depleted to a couple dozen great bottles. In the golden days, I’d drink great Ardbeg or Springbank daily. Now, I only open a few bottles of each annually because they can’t be replaced for a price I’m willing to pay.

If you find something that you like, buy as much of it as you can afford and store. Then double it. At least.
---Mark

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#741 Post by K John Joseph » July 7th, 2020, 9:02 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 8:00 pm
I’ve been at this longer than most. 20 or so years ago it became clear that whisky quality was heading into the outhouse and I stocked up on the whiskies I liked. At one point I owned more than 100 bottles of the old Springbank 12/100 (if you know, you know); now I’m down to my last dozen. Similarly, my Ardbeg holdings have been depleted to a couple dozen great bottles. In the golden days, I’d drink great Ardbeg or Springbank daily. Now, I only open a few bottles of each annually because they can’t be replaced for a price I’m willing to pay.

If you find something that you like, buy as much of it as you can afford and store. Then double it. At least.
How has there not been some resurgence in quality? I cannot believe that Scotch would, so generally, just be far worse now. There is so much money in the game, why would there not be strong producers making great whiskey?

Do you have suggestions on some that you do think are still producing high quality whiskey, or is it all just a lost cause in your opinion?
J0hn-J-K4ne

Sarah Kirschbaum

#742 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » July 7th, 2020, 9:32 am

I think it's partly because they can't, and partly because they don't have to. With the huge push for efficiency and quantity, which is where a lot of that huge investment has gone, you just can't find enough quality casks, as just one example. There's less and less old stocks every day, and if you can't make more like that quickly (which you can't), you shore things up by homogenizing and slapping on some fancy labeling, story and sexy sounding cask finish. And the marketing has worked. The Edrington juggernaut is unstoppable, and people buy into it. Lots of people love Macallan. Why change what they are doing when they are wildly successful? But if you've had old Macallan 18's you know what it's not now.

It's mostly a lost cause if what you want is how it was. If you ask "who's playing now like the Stones or the Who did back in the 60's?" the answer is no one. And no one ever will again. There's still good music, but most of the music out there these days was written by one of a handful of songwriter/producers and they are largely interchangeable, but people eat it up. Whisky won't ever be what it was again, I don't think. But will there be good whisky, just there's still good music? It's possible. There are some distilleries that are trying to do it right, and some that are doing SOME things right. I can only speak for whisky, by the way, because I know almost nothing about whiskEy. I think Kilchomen is trying to do it right. They are still working on it, but they have potential. There are ton of new distilleries that we just don't know yet because right now they are only making gin. Other than that it's largely finding something you like, which you probably can. For my money, I think the Lagavulin Annual Releases are pretty darn good in many years.

I'm sure Mark will chime in. He's far more knowledgeable than I am and has had a lot more great whisky.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#743 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » July 7th, 2020, 9:51 am

If you want a distilled spirit that still rewards long cask aging and still has family owned artisanal distillers, and is still affordable, drink Armagnac (or grower cognac)

Who knows how long it’ll be like this with the whistle pig douchebag getting into the Armagnac business.

LMD Ermitaño

#744 Post by LMD Ermitaño » July 26th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Really enjoyed this bottle. Must get more.
Attachments
AD61BAA5-CB24-423A-ADCC-D11CC9DCBF50.jpeg

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#745 Post by Mike Grammer » July 27th, 2020, 1:43 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 9:32 am
I think it's partly because they can't, and partly because they don't have to. With the huge push for efficiency and quantity, which is where a lot of that huge investment has gone, you just can't find enough quality casks, as just one example. There's less and less old stocks every day, and if you can't make more like that quickly (which you can't), you shore things up by homogenizing and slapping on some fancy labeling, story and sexy sounding cask finish. And the marketing has worked. The Edrington juggernaut is unstoppable, and people buy into it. Lots of people love Macallan. Why change what they are doing when they are wildly successful? But if you've had old Macallan 18's you know what it's not now.

This. The flagship for the sea change--not for the better. I *might* add Arran to the Kilchoman-type list---I've had more good bottles than bad, but even they are succumbing, I think. Most of my whisky, I try now to taste before I buy (there are a couple of the flagship Vintages stores that do have a number of the bigger-priced scotches open for tasting...for a small fee, of course!)

I've had the Allardice and it's quite nice, as are most of the Glendronachs---I really like the house for its balance---but I am thoroughly enjoying my bottle of 21 year Glendronach Parliament.

I don't think I've reported on the Arran Sauternes cask bottling, which is decent--with some element of the cask--but not superstar (like, say, for instance, the 21 year Old Malt Cask 20th anniversary bottling) :)

Aaron Shearin

#746 Post by Aaron Shearin » July 27th, 2020, 3:49 pm

This and this was very tasty.
https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1429988
https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1421730

and not bank breakers either. I find that the best deals are IB at KL. They do a great job of picking out some casks to be bottled specifically for their stores.

JulianD

#747 Post by JulianD » July 27th, 2020, 4:32 pm

For a glendronach lover, who should I check next? Glenfarclas? Glengoyne? (Or stick to glendronach)
Davies

Al Osterheld

#748 Post by Al Osterheld » July 27th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Perhaps, it should be pointed out that today is National Scotch Day. Just a reminder.

-Al

LMD Ermitaño

#749 Post by LMD Ermitaño » July 30th, 2020, 8:33 am

Finished the last of a bottle of Old Pulteney 17 Years a few nights ago; so, passed by the nearby liquor shop (where I had purchased it) for another. Out of stock, unfortunately. Got a bottle of the 12 Years just to try out - anyway, if I don’t like it, my eldest son would likely drink it. Tried a bit after dinner - comparatively lighter, less complex, rather simple; yet tasty and has a nice nose. Very casual, charming whisky. For its price (quite cheap), it’s not a bad deal at all for an everyday drinker.
Attachments
7A4DA9D3-EA8C-40AC-B751-77D8E9A738D3.jpeg

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#750 Post by Mike Grammer » July 31st, 2020, 5:56 am

JulianD wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 4:32 pm
For a glendronach lover, who should I check next? Glenfarclas? Glengoyne? (Or stick to glendronach)
"stick to Glendronach" isn't the worst answer ;)

Maybe Linkwood or Glenrothes?

Return to “Beer and Spirits”