What SCOTCH are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
H. N o w b a r

Re: What SCOTCH are you drinking?

#701 Post by H. N o w b a r » April 4th, 2020, 2:35 pm

I've been doing my own taste tasting across the following whiskies during he Covid-19 crisis:

Macallan Rare Cask
Macallan 18

Highland Park 18
Macallan 15
Compass Box Spice Tree
Kirkland brand Macallan 15
Kirkland brand Speyside 20
Kirkland brand Speyside 22
Tomatin 14
Legent
Nikka from the barrel
Kavalan Distillery Select
High West A Midwinter Night’s Dram
Willett Pot Still Reserve
Old Weller Antique 107
Buffalo Trace
Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel Proof

All are delicious, but I've bolded my favorites so far. Looking forward to tasting these with my friends once we get through the Covid crisis.

Cheers,
H
H () s

Kelly Walker

#702 Post by Kelly Walker » April 4th, 2020, 3:57 pm

H. Nowbar wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 2:35 pm
I've been doing my own taste tasting across the following whiskies during he Covid-19 crisis:

All are delicious, but I've bolded my favorites so far. Looking forward to tasting these with my friends once we get through the Covid crisis.

Cheers,
H
H, is this a Costco brand?
I want to be known by my indulgences.

Kelly Walker

#703 Post by Kelly Walker » April 4th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Balvenie Double Wood 12 is such a go-to for me. Recently tried the 17. Very different profile. A lot more spice.

H. N o w b a r

#704 Post by H. N o w b a r » April 4th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Kelly Walker wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 3:57 pm
H. Nowbar wrote:

Cheers,
H
Yes, it is the Costco brand. Surprisingly, they still have it on the shelves in the Seattle area. It's a hearty whisky vs the Willett which I think is more nuanced. Both good in their own way. I'd drink the 22 on colder days and the Willett on warmer days.
H
H () s

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#705 Post by Mike Grammer » April 5th, 2020, 6:22 am

Welcome to the board, Hoss, and keep tasting!

More deets on the recent acquisition, Loch Lomond 18. Poured blind for me by my acolyte friend Dave (I love making scotch minions!), sweet and peat (just a little) combine with rich-ish yellow-based fruit and nicely spiced smooth and warming finish. I told him I'd guess 17 years or so (yay me) and that I'd be willing to fork over C$170-180 for this. Nope. C$110. Ran out and grabbed a bottle that day. Probably about a 7/10, maybe inching up to 7.5 but those still belong in one's cabinet.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#706 Post by Mike Grammer » April 5th, 2020, 6:29 am

LMD Ermitaño wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 11:50 am
Old Pulteney 17 Years - Notable complexity and layers. Light footed without sacrificing depth and palate presence. Moderately priced. I’ll make sure this continues to be stocked at home as much as possible (available).
I haven't had Old Pulteney in quite a while, Luis, but the 17 year was always the one that made the most impact with me....though still being mostly on the pleasant side--7/10? Agree, I like trying to check for people's notes and thoughts on HP now, which I didn't have to do a decade ago. A'Bunadh. mmmmm. And you got a big one there with 60%+

Sipped some more of my Signatory Longmorn 16 last night. Looooove Longmorn.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

JulianD

#707 Post by JulianD » April 5th, 2020, 11:37 am

Kelly Walker wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 3:59 pm
Balvenie Double Wood 12 is such a go-to for me. Recently tried the 17. Very different profile. A lot more spice.
Have you tried their Peat Week releases?
Davies

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#708 Post by Barry L i p t o n » April 5th, 2020, 11:52 am

A’bundah is cask strength so adding a wee bit of water is indicated.

I share others enthusiasm for it.

Kelly Walker

#709 Post by Kelly Walker » April 5th, 2020, 1:59 pm

JulianD wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 11:37 am
Kelly Walker wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 3:59 pm
Have you tried their Peat Week releases?
No. Significant peat on the palate? I like Balvenie for its fruit/citrus profile. Will keep an eye out for it

ChrisW

#710 Post by ChrisW » April 5th, 2020, 2:08 pm

H. N o w b a r wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Kelly Walker wrote:
H. Nowbar wrote:

Cheers,
H
Yes, it is the Costco brand. Surprisingly, they still have it on the shelves in the Seattle area. It's a hearty whisky vs the Willett which I think is more nuanced. Both good in their own way. I'd drink the 22 on colder days and the Willett on warmer days.
H
Costco makes its 'own' whiskey!?!? Any state where liquor can be sold with beer, wine? Prohibition continues to haunt us from the grave.
<@ru@n@

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#711 Post by Mark Golodetz » April 5th, 2020, 2:14 pm

I just received an e mail from a British importer offering full casks of Scotch still in barrel. Prices range from low $3k to $50k for Bowmore.

If you are interested send me an email, and I will pass on the information. I have no connection with them except I buy a fair amount of wine from them.
ITB

H. N o w b a r

#712 Post by H. N o w b a r » April 5th, 2020, 8:25 pm

ChrisW wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 2:08 pm
H. N o w b a r wrote:
Kelly Walker wrote:

H
Costco makes its 'own' whiskey!?!? Any state where liquor can be sold with beer, wine? Prohibition continues to haunt us from the grave.
Costco sells the whisky under their Kirkland brand, but it is distilled in Scotland. Here is a background article that I found on it:
https://www.simplyhealthyfamily.org/who ... nd-scotch/

Prohibition does indeed haunt us from the grave. The hefty tax levy on liquor sales in Washington State is painful as well.
H () s

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#713 Post by Len Stevens » April 8th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Just picked up the 17 yo Balvenie....can't wait!!!!

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#714 Post by Matt Latuchie » May 3rd, 2020, 2:54 pm

Had a nice glass of Springbank 10 last night. First time trying it and liked its tang and smoothness. I'm new to scotch with most of my experience with smokey/peaty distillers so this was a nice change.
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Al Osterheld

#715 Post by Al Osterheld » May 3rd, 2020, 4:53 pm

Springbank 10 or 12 was one of the first three single malts I bought, back around 1980 or 1981 (at the time, I was fond of a woman whose last name was Campbell). One of the others was an Oban, and I don't recall the third. The Springbank was my favorite, then it went through a period when it was difficult to find locally.

-Al

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#716 Post by Phil Smith » May 3rd, 2020, 7:50 pm

Had a friend stop by for some social distancing cigar smoking on the patio today and went a little nutty. Among a lot of great bourbon, some Balvenie 30 and Highland Park 25. Both exceptional, the Balvenie has the slight edge in my mind

JulianD

#717 Post by JulianD » May 3rd, 2020, 8:41 pm

Cadenhead's Islay living cask. (working my way through their different living cask bottlings)
Davies

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#718 Post by Phil Smith » May 23rd, 2020, 11:17 am

I’m a bit new to scotch but I’ve been enjoying it. Is there a reliable, relatively regular auction site for spirts? Something like a WineBid equivalent?

H. N o w b a r

#719 Post by H. N o w b a r » May 23rd, 2020, 6:43 pm

Phil Smith wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 11:17 am
I’m a bit new to scotch but I’ve been enjoying it. Is there a reliable, relatively regular auction site for spirts? Something like a WineBid equivalent?
I have the same question and very interested in the answer. I had done some cursory research and ran across this Whisky Advocate article: https://www.whiskyadvocate.com/where-to ... t-auction/ I've also seen some sites like Spectrum on Wine-Searcher but it would be great to find a WineBid equivalent.
H () s

Sarah Kirschbaum

#720 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 24th, 2020, 7:17 am

H. N o w b a r wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 6:43 pm
Phil Smith wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 11:17 am
I have the same question and very interested in the answer. I had done some cursory research and ran across this Whisky Advocate article: https://www.whiskyadvocate.com/where-to ... t-auction/ I've also seen some sites like Spectrum on Wine-Searcher but it would be great to find a WineBid equivalent.
Yes and no. There are several excellent sites, just not in the US. Our stupid laws and taxes treat spirits as if they were plutonium.

If you don't mind buying in the UK, though, these are closest to what you want, with monthly spirits auctions and good front end interfaces. Shipping to the US can be arranged.

https://www.whiskyauctioneer.com/?gclid ... dIQAvD_BwE

https://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com/

This one in Germany has been around for quite a while and is good, though it takes a little more work on the buyer's side.
https://whiskyauction.com/

In the US, it's just hit or miss when one of the larger wine auction houses have spirits auctions or include some spirits lots in a wine auction.

Doug Sher

#721 Post by Doug Sher » May 24th, 2020, 7:58 am

Hart, Davis, Hart has several spirits auctions per year. Here's a link to the results from the most recent sale:

https://auction.hdhwine.com/auctions/1- ... -mar-19-20

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#722 Post by Phil Smith » May 24th, 2020, 12:33 pm

I'm a big HDH fan and think they're the best auction house around. I'm also friends with a couple of their team, but with the move to DE shipping has become difficult. I figured that out when I just got the (3rd party) bill for $190 to ship 8 bottles of wine.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#723 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 24th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Phil Smith wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 12:33 pm
I'm a big HDH fan and think they're the best auction house around. I'm also friends with a couple of their team, but with the move to DE shipping has become difficult. I figured that out when I just got the (3rd party) bill for $190 to ship 8 bottles of wine.
HDH is great, the shipping issues aside - and, btw, the shipping issues are MUCH harder with spirits - but if you are looking for regularly scheduled week or monthly spirits auctions, rather than occasional one-offs, you're not going to find it in the US.

LMD Ermitaño

#724 Post by LMD Ermitaño » May 24th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Phil Smith wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 7:50 pm
Had a friend stop by for some social distancing cigar smoking on the patio today and went a little nutty. Among a lot of great bourbon, some Balvenie 30 and Highland Park 25. Both exceptional, the Balvenie has the slight edge in my mind
Nice! The Balvenie 30 I like a lot. I have yet to try the Highland Park 25 though. Having relatively recently gone quickly through a bottle of their 18, I very much look forward to trying out their 25.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#725 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » May 25th, 2020, 6:41 am

Phil Smith wrote:
Phil... this may change, it as of now, the spirits auctions are still pick up in Chicago.

They tend to have a great range and prices are fair.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#726 Post by Phil Smith » May 25th, 2020, 10:59 am

Clayton Wai-Poi wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 6:41 am
Phil Smith wrote:
Phil... this may change, it as of now, the spirits auctions are still pick up in Chicago.

They tend to have a great range and prices are fair.
Good to know Clayton. I’ve bid here and there in HDH’s spirits auctions but don’t think I’ve ever actually won anything. If I don’t have to screw around with the shipping that helps.

Sean Devaney

#727 Post by Sean Devaney » May 26th, 2020, 7:29 am

H. N o w b a r wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 8:25 pm
ChrisW wrote:
H. N o w b a r wrote:

H
Costco sells the whisky under their Kirkland brand, but it is distilled in Scotland. Here is a background article that I found on it:

Prohibition does indeed haunt us from the grave. The hefty tax levy on liquor sales in Washington State is painful as well.
Late to this post but 22yo is very nice. It is a Alexander Murray bottling of an un-named Speyside Distillery. My local Costco had a Alexander Murray 12yo Laphroaig cask strength that was excellent but when I went back it was gone.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#728 Post by Jay $$ Winton » May 26th, 2020, 8:48 am

Sean Devaney wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 7:29 am
H. N o w b a r wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 8:25 pm
ChrisW wrote:

Late to this post but 22yo is very nice. It is a Alexander Murray bottling of an un-named Speyside Distillery. My local Costco had a Alexander Murray 12yo Laphroaig cask strength that was excellent but when I went back it was gone.
I like the 22 year but about $30 more than the 21. Richer though than the 21 I think.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”