What SCOTCH are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Sarah Kirschbaum

Re: What SCOTCH are you drinking?

#651 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » November 1st, 2019, 4:03 pm

This has been a whisky-centric few weeks for me, and I've had the opportunity to drink more world class scotch than I ever dreamed I might. In the midst of all the great and rare, though, I took note of a very modest bottle - the Clynelish 14 Year.

I have always liked Clynelish, but have had mostly independent bottlings. For an entry level distillery release, I found the 14 year to be very drinkable, balanced and interesting enough to have a second glass. Not terribly powerful or complex, and not my usual high-test by any means, but an easy whisky to enjoy under the right circumstances. Clynelish is one to watch, as it gets its new distillery finished and Brora comes back online.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#652 Post by Craig G » November 2nd, 2019, 12:08 am

I like that Clynelish 14 quite a bit. I was introduced to it by a whisky bar owner in Taiwan who has a great Scotch selection. Many reviews say it has a characteristic aroma of wax, and that seems to ring true (in a good way, of course :-) ).
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Sarah Kirschbaum

#653 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » November 2nd, 2019, 4:03 am

Craig G wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 12:08 am
I like that Clynelish 14 quite a bit. I was introduced to it by a whisky bar owner in Taiwan who has a great Scotch selection. Many reviews say it has a characteristic aroma of wax, and that seems to ring true (in a good way, of course :-) ).
Yes, the waxy characteristic is a hallmark of the distillery. They say they are not at all sure where it comes from, but when they did their rebuilding, they kept as much as they could original and the things they needed to replace stayed exactly the same as the old so as not to risk losing it. They also don't scrub out their stills for the same reason. Who knows if it's all just to contribute to the mystic, it's s nice story.

ERPark

#654 Post by ERPark » November 27th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Scored this recently.

4BD989B4-32B1-4D6B-B5AC-7B93BB196EEC.jpeg
GEN3

A Moore

#655 Post by A Moore » November 30th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Wemyss The Viceroy’s Elixir 1987 Bunnahabhain 29 Years

Going to be sad when this is gone.

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#656 Post by Mike Grammer » December 2nd, 2019, 10:44 am

Some updates--just general impressions. All these generously provided by Berto Dorta.

Glendronach 1992 (25 year). I think distillery bottling. Absolutely tremendous, all the balance and flow that I love in the regular but intensity kicked up a notch. Profound

Laphroaig 25 year. Again, believe a distillery bottle. Definitely the best Frog I've ever had. A powerhouse but so much flavour and character behind it, it keeps talking--and a lot more than just peat and smoke--long after the sip has glided down your throat. Amazing

Ardbeg Supernova. I liked this, the Ardbegger's Ardbeg, with lots of smoke, leather, peat and only small accents of heather and fruit. Very solid.

Lagavulin Offerman 11 year. Berto loves this bottling, calling it his fave Laggy. I'm not as convinced--while there is fine complexity and some fruit, spice and toffee notes interweaving with the Islay salt, iodine and peat, the whole is just a little too far off the characteristic aroma and flavour I look for from this distillery. Would perhaps like to try again sometime, as it was up against stiff competition on this night.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#657 Post by Jay $$ Winton » December 2nd, 2019, 11:50 am

Bought a bottle of Knockando 18 in Barcelona. This used to be a favorite but it doesn't seem to be in the US anymore. I thought 59 euros a good price.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#658 Post by Len Stevens » December 8th, 2019, 9:43 am

These are currently the offerings at my neighborhood Costco...any thoughts or experiences?

Balvenie 17 yo $149.99
Glenmorangie 18 yo $99.99
Aberfeldy 16 yo $79.99
The Macallan 12 yo triple cask $59.99
JW Blue 155.99

Even though I live in Bourbon country, my love and passion is wine. When I'm in the mood for spirits, I very much enjoy Scotch...my faves are 18 yo Macallan and I adore Compass Box The Flaming Heart. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Edward H. Earles

#659 Post by Edward H. Earles » December 9th, 2019, 7:02 am

Len Stevens wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 9:43 am
These are currently the offerings at my neighborhood Costco...any thoughts or experiences?

Balvenie 17 yo $149.99
Glenmorangie 18 yo $99.99
Aberfeldy 16 yo $79.99
The Macallan 12 yo triple cask $59.99
JW Blue 155.99

Even though I live in Bourbon country, my love and passion is wine. When I'm in the mood for spirits, I very much enjoy Scotch...my faves are 18 yo Macallan and I adore Compass Box The Flaming Heart. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Which Costco is that? I haven't seen any of those at the Costco in Lexington.

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#660 Post by Len Stevens » December 10th, 2019, 10:59 am

Louisville-Bardstown Road

Sanjay Nandurkar

#661 Post by Sanjay Nandurkar » December 10th, 2019, 6:48 pm

JulianD wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 2:39 pm
Has anyone tried the new Longrow Sherry? Want to see if it suffers from sulphur that some of their bottlings seem to have
Tried the 14 year old expression recently. Sherry cask matured. ABV 57.8%. It shows the sulphur. Even after it has been open and had time to breathe over the past month the sulphur is noticeable.

Sanjay Nandurkar

#662 Post by Sanjay Nandurkar » December 10th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Jay $$ Winton wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 11:50 am
Bought a bottle of Knockando 18 in Barcelona. This used to be a favorite but it doesn't seem to be in the US anymore. I thought 59 euros a good price.
I had the Knockando 18 recently. ABV 43% . Aust Dollars $119. Its inexpensive for a 18 year old ( cf Highland Park, Laphroaig etc). Its easy drinking. Nice scotch. Does not have the intensity of the top distillers but well rounded and flavoursome.

Sanjay Nandurkar

#663 Post by Sanjay Nandurkar » December 10th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Mike Grammer wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 10:44 am
Some updates--just general impressions. All these generously provided by Berto Dorta.

Laphroaig 25 year. Again, believe a distillery bottle. Definitely the best Frog I've ever had. A powerhouse but so much flavour and character behind it, it keeps talking--and a lot more than just peat and smoke--long after the sip has glided down your throat. Amazing
Finished two bottles in the past 6 months. One of the finest whisky I have ever had. The peat influence is reduced compared with the 10yr or 18 yr or the Lore. It has mind boggling complexity and the mouth feel is exquisite and the flavours linger on for a very long time. Expensive but really worth it.

Sanjay Nandurkar

#664 Post by Sanjay Nandurkar » December 10th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Craig G wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 12:08 am
I like its unique flavour profile. tasted it for the first time last year in a bar in Edinburgh. Prompted me to buy a few bottles after coming to Australia. Nice contrasting style to the other whisky I have have in my cellar.

The other 14 year old bottling I like is the Oban. Visited the distillery in June this year. Very nice. Tried the 21 year old bottling at the distillery. Good but not worth the price.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”