What SCOTCH are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Sanjay Nandurkar

#551 Post by Sanjay Nandurkar » May 23rd, 2014, 2:25 pm

ehrlichdy wrote:I have really been enjoying Scotch this winter. I tend to like like the peatier stuff. My current bottle is Laphroig 10 Cast Strength. I love the iodine and smoke on the nose.

My local store is running a sale this month. Can anyone comment or recommend any of these:

Aberlour 12 CS at $45
Aberlour 16 at $59
Aberlour A'Bunade 121.4 CS @ $63
Glenn Grant 16 @ $54
Glenmorangie 18 @ $70
Highland Park 18 CS @ $97
I have had most of them.

Glen Grant is supple but more 'simple'.

Glenmorangie that I have tried tended to to have a a more smoother and sweeter mouth feel esp if they were matured in Sauterne casks.

Abelour A'Bunade is I recollect is bottled at Cask Strength -60%. Needs a bit of water to tame it but I quite like it. Its powerful but smooth and enjoyable.

Highland Park is one of my favourite whiskies. Most go for the 12 yr old which often retails for approx half price of the 18 yr old. But I absolutely love the 18 year old. Its a reference standard whisky for me. I would urge you you to try one.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#552 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 24th, 2014, 12:21 pm

Cragganmore DE
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Mike Grammer

#553 Post by Mike Grammer » June 30th, 2014, 12:46 pm

a little catching up.

Linkwood 25 year (Gordon & MacPhail)

Strong heathery nose and maybe a whiff of brine and even smoke. This is stern stuff for Linkwood, I'd like a touch more roundness, but quite active dans la bouche and plenty of flavour. Only 43%. 6-7

Glenfarclas 25 year

I think this is Connoisseur's Choice, but not sure, will correct if/when I find out. I've been one of those rare few who hasn't taken to Glenfarclas in the past, maybe finding it just too polished and with not enough real interest. But that's not the case here. This is lovely, with equal parts salt, sweet and velvet definition going down the throat. Has class and sublime-ness about it. 9.

1975 Benrinnes 34 year (Signatory) I do like Benrinnes, but this is an aggressive version of this malt, for sure. Herbs and some grassy and peppery spiciness too. Bites in the front and then expands in the middle, replays with glints of toffee, I think. I like how authoritative it is, but I also am more used to some subtlety and different levels. Call it an 8.

1966 25 year Aberlour (Lombard)

I picked this up on, I believe, Gavin Smith's recommendation. He sure recommended right. This is about as distaff a cousin to the A'Bunadh as you're going to get. You will think you've died, gone to heaven, come back down to earth for a brief visit and gone back up to heaven. This has a fantastic fruit-edged nose to tints of butterscotch and brine. And it's a dream in the mouth, just swaddles it and cozies right up to the cheeks in such a gentle yet quietly dramatic way. I won't be sharing this with that many people. 10, one of the best I've had in a long, long time.

David, sorry I didn't provide any thoughts to your question about choices on malts. I agree on Brian's take on Glen Grant--if it's under 30 years, don't bother. Glenmorangie can be enjoyable, but you'd be best to try all the finishes and decide if any one of them takes your fancy. HP 18 is probably the best of your lot---IIRC, the malt is made with a blend of years, but 18 is the lowest year, can sometimes have 22-23 year stuff in there. Haven't had the A'bunadh in about 3 years now, I used to like the previous batches, though I think my last one clocked in at 64.7% or so [mouth-drop.gif]

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#554 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » July 1st, 2014, 3:15 pm

Mike Grammer wrote:...

Glenfarclas 25 year

I think this is Connoisseur's Choice, but not sure, will correct if/when I find out. I've been one of those rare few who hasn't taken to Glenfarclas in the past, maybe finding it just too polished and with not enough real interest. But that's not the case here. This is lovely, with equal parts salt, sweet and velvet definition going down the throat. Has class and sublime-ness about it. 9.
I'm another who's not overly impressed with Glenfarclas, independent of price. That said, for the money, I think they're quite nice. I hate how they water down to 43% (or is it 40%), though. I just can't bring myself to spend north of ~$75 for a watered-down malt, for better or worse. Like you, I enjoy the Glenfarclas 25 a lot, but I'm still not a buyer at American prices (I would strongly consider buying at the ~$100 price it's sold for at the Costcutter in Dufftown, though).
1966 25 year Aberlour (Lombard)

I picked this up on, I believe, Gavin Smith's recommendation. He sure recommended right. This is about as distaff a cousin to the A'Bunadh as you're going to get. You will think you've died, gone to heaven, come back down to earth for a brief visit and gone back up to heaven. This has a fantastic fruit-edged nose to tints of butterscotch and brine. And it's a dream in the mouth, just swaddles it and cozies right up to the cheeks in such a gentle yet quietly dramatic way. I won't be sharing this with that many people. 10, one of the best I've had in a long, long time.
The part in bold is music to my ears --- I don't understand the apparent popularity of the A'Bunadh --- for me, it's fire water that cannot be tamed before it reaches a state of listless dilution. Aberlour is one of my favorites, and this '66 sounds sublime. I know you'll savor it well!

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Jody Smith

#555 Post by Jody Smith » July 7th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Just getting into the scotch thing - Highland Park 18, great night cap following a Pax 2.0 Alder Springs.

David H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#556 Post by David H. » July 30th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:As for Springbank: although my experience with them is not very extensive, I do consider Springbank to be of high quality. A friend of mine is part of the Springbank society (or whatever they call their membership), so I've had a dram here and a dram there of many of their bottlings, and I've never thought one was any worse than very good; many have been excellent.
[cheers.gif]
I am dreaming of this whisky right now. I love it. I don't know if my friend is a member of the society. But has has a couple of casks at his home in England and sends for a few bottles from time to time. I love this Whisky. I am trying to find some in Florida.
Where in Florida? Depending on the bottle or age you are looking for, it is pretty easy to find in South Florida. If you are in Broward county, there is a great shop in Cooper City that has an INSANE selection of single malts. Feel free to drop me a PM.
H @ y c º c k

John Liotta

#557 Post by John Liotta » August 3rd, 2014, 4:30 pm

Compass Box The General- very nice.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#558 Post by RyanC » August 3rd, 2014, 5:56 pm

Just starting to really explore Scotch. I've been drinking Lagavulin 16 lately, which is my favorite thus far. I think next in the queue is Highland Park 12.
C@ughey

bradkaplan
Contributor
Contributor

#559 Post by bradkaplan » August 10th, 2014, 5:28 am

back from a quick trip to scotland, where i didn't have near enough time to explore. hit the pot still in glasgow - where I asked for two pours - one fruity and floral, one peaty but not too heavy. the very nice man behind the bar brought out lots of things for me to smell first before i chose - ended up with a linkwood 15 via gordon & macphail and a benriach 12 aromatics fumosus - both of which i really enjoyed.

in edinburgh, went in royal mile whiskey and picked up two blair athol's - the regular bottling, which is 12 years and sherry finished, and a royal mile single cask 16 year old (no sherry). fascinating to compare the two, and really depends on my mood which one i prefer - though i lean to the more elegant and nuanced 16 year old rather than the more aggressive and sweet 12 year old.
www.ThirstySouth.com

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#560 Post by Travis Fantz » August 14th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Does anyone have any insight into the John Barr Excellence bottling? I came across a bottle distilled in 1972 and bottled at 29 years. It seems that they make mostly inexpensive whiskey. It seems to be limited to less than 300 bottles. The price was less than $200, which seemed good for the age.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Mike Grammer

#561 Post by Mike Grammer » August 18th, 2014, 11:11 am

A few tried last week at this place, quite something:

http://www.thedampub.ca/whiskies/scotland-wales

Apologies, I thought their menu would list the bottlers, but will give as much info as I can.

1996 Craigellachie regular strength, a sip from a friend's glass. It was smooth and had the saltwater toffee ending that I've associated with this whisky in the past. Nice, but not super-special 7.

Banff 1980 23 year Cask Strength 58.6, it's been awhile since I had a Banff. For all it's a Speyside, this does seem to have whiffs of peat or smoke in the nose. Not as much to taste, but spicy and forthright for sure, a slight grainy feel. Again, not bad, but not something I'd look to keep at home. 7.

1985 Glenturret 19 year Regular strength. I shared this, but I really didn't want to. Super-pretty nose of heather, flowers, honey and light maltiness. And it's gorgeous as it sits in your mouth, smooth as silk and a fine feel and wildflower honey with freshness too. 9+, certainly the best Glenturret I've tried.

Mike

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#562 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 19th, 2014, 11:53 pm

Interesting note on the Glenturret, Mike. I've only had one Glenturret, and it was a 10yo in a Port pipe --- it really wasn't my thing.

last night I enjoyed a dram for the first time in a while: Longrow 14. :)

Jody Smith

#563 Post by Jody Smith » September 9th, 2014, 7:37 pm

The Balvenie 17 yr double wood. A perfect segue from all the recent Bourbon. Finished in American Whiskey and Sherry Casks. This eludes to bourbon, but the sherry dominates, and is most notable in the middle and finish. Restrained, ethereal smoke/peat and subtle iodine notes. Bright, and citrusy.

I dig this - being discontinued at my VABC, so I guess it's not selling well. Buy it if you find it. Can't hurt to have this on the bar. It's really high quality, but definitely will have to be reserved for guests who've acquired a taste for the unique Scotch. So glad I cracked this one today - a great finish to a crazy day!

David Kaufman

#564 Post by David Kaufman » September 26th, 2014, 6:43 pm

Long week at work means I dug deep into my collection for a 28yr Bowmore. Smokier than I rememebr but easy going down.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#565 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 27th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Drinking a gorgeous Bunnahabhain 24 year, distilled in 1990, aged in sherry butt. Coming in at 47.8% and that is cask strength. Just a couple drops of water for hydrolysis, no need to cut it back at that level.

Absolutely love the combination of Islay smoke and sherry cask cocoa - such a rare thing. Of course, the classically gentle peat of Bunnahabhain lends itself to the marriage with sherry cask.

What a treat.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#566 Post by c fu » September 27th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Drinking a gorgeous Bunnahabhain 24 year, distilled in 1990, aged in sherry butt. Coming in at 47.8% and that is cask strength. Just a couple drops of water for hydrolysis, no need to cut it back at that level.

Absolutely love the combination of Islay smoke and sherry cask cocoa - such a rare thing. Of course, the classically gentle peat of Bunnahabhain lends itself to the marriage with sherry cask.

What a treat.
Sarah what a coincidence! I just walked out of the store with a bottle. The price was too tempting to pass up on a 24

But mine is the berry bos version.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Sarah Kirschbaum

#567 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 27th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Cool! Is it sherry cask? Not too many of those around. Mine was not Berry Bros - bet it is great. Enjoy!

Mike Grammer

#568 Post by Mike Grammer » September 29th, 2014, 12:53 pm

Speymalt of Macallan 1991 21 year Gordon & Macphail

It ain't that (crappy) Fine Oak series, that's for sure. This is the essential of why those who pine after Macallan pine after it. Tremendously sweet and smooth entry and finish. This is 43%. It's a lovely change of pace.

Lou Radivoyevitch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#569 Post by Lou Radivoyevitch » November 21st, 2014, 6:04 pm

So Ardbeg is selling an "exploration" package at $47 that included the 10 yr old (750ml) alongside two bottles of Corryvrecken and Uigeadail (50 ml bottles). What a brilliant way for my brother and i to truly understand Ardbeg over a couple hours on a friday night.. Im a peat moss fan and truly dig the 10 yr old for the money, but boy the Uigeadail was delicious. We had much fun and kudos to their marketing team to put together such an ensemble.

Travis D.

#570 Post by Travis D. » November 22nd, 2014, 8:36 am

Glenrothes 1997 17 year, Signatory - aged in sherry butt, cask strength. 54.9% alc.

I don't have a lot of experience with scotch and this was recommended. I normally grab for a bottle of bourbon. This knocked it out of the park for me, beautiful stuff. Some changes in the liquor cabinet to come.
Travis D e d e k

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#571 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 22nd, 2014, 1:59 pm

Glenrothes is a great Scotch whisky to use as a transition from Bourbon. Glad you enjoyed it, Travis. :)

David Kaufman

#572 Post by David Kaufman » November 24th, 2014, 11:52 am

Looking for some advice this year for a Single Malt Scotch recommendation for my boss' holiday gift. Last year I gave him an Aberlour 16 based on some feedback about his taste preferences. Looking for additional suggestions this year in the sub-$100 range.

His Scotch preferences based on what I've witnessed:
-Macallan 18/25
-Balvenie 17/21/25
-Oban 14/17

Dislikes:
-ANYTHING Peaty
-Highland Park 18 (too 'smoky' he says)
-'Sweet' Scotch (e.g. Glenmorangie's special line of Quinta Ruban, Nectar D'Or, etc)

I'd prefer to get him something he's not accustomed to that would fit his style preference. I was thinking something from the lowlands such as Auchentoshan 3 Wood, but am open to any and all suggestions. Not opposed to sourcing difficult or unusual Scotch if it's worth the effort and fits the budget.

Thanks in advance

Steve Ham

#573 Post by Steve Ham » December 2nd, 2014, 11:45 am

Why don't you go Japanese? there are other distilleries that are really great, if he likes Yamazaki. I would recommend Yoichi 15, which is awesome or Yoichi 20, if you can find them.

also, taketsuru is really great. this is a vatted malt (or blended malt or whatever they're calling it these days). there's a 17 yo and 21 yo expressions. both are highly recommended.

lastly, hibiki blended whisky is amazing and will change the perceptions some have regarding blended whiskies. try the 17 year old version.

if you're interested in any of the above, i have some selection from my collection, i would sell. If you're interested, PM me.

Steve

David Kaufman wrote:Looking for some advice this year for a Single Malt Scotch recommendation for my boss' holiday gift. Last year I gave him an Aberlour 16 based on some feedback about his taste preferences. Looking for additional suggestions this year in the sub-$100 range.

His Scotch preferences based on what I've witnessed:
-Macallan 18/25
-Balvenie 17/21/25
-Oban 14/17

Dislikes:
-ANYTHING Peaty
-Highland Park 18 (too 'smoky' he says)
-'Sweet' Scotch (e.g. Glenmorangie's special line of Quinta Ruban, Nectar D'Or, etc)

I'd prefer to get him something he's not accustomed to that would fit his style preference. I was thinking something from the lowlands such as Auchentoshan 3 Wood, but am open to any and all suggestions. Not opposed to sourcing difficult or unusual Scotch if it's worth the effort and fits the budget.

Thanks in advance

Lou Radivoyevitch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#574 Post by Lou Radivoyevitch » December 7th, 2014, 5:24 am

Last night I had a chance to sample the following Scotches:
Talisker 18
- my clear favorite. Just the right amount of peat, mixed with plenty of other aromatics. A tremendously long aftertaste.

Lagavulin 16
Ive been away from this for too long. It used to be one of my favorites. Ive been drinking Ardbeg 10 the past few weeks and this is so much more polished.

Balvenie Doublewood 12
-nose of candied orange peel with caramel notes on the finish. Has bit of heat, but a round velvety mouthfeel.

Auchentoshan Three wood
-the gentlest and most restrained of them all. Some folks really enjoyed it, but not in my wheelhouse.

Highland Park 18
- this was a letdown and i had high hopes. The heat burned a hole in my throat? I recall enjoying the 10 year old back in the day and may need to revisit.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#575 Post by Anton D » December 15th, 2014, 4:56 pm

I don't run across often enough, but found a Laphroig Triple Wood over Thanksgiving and had a wee dram last night - bueno.
Anton Dotson

John Liotta

#576 Post by John Liotta » January 3rd, 2015, 6:04 am

Had the Ladyburn 41 last night. Enjoyed it immensely. Might have to look for it.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

David Kaufman

#577 Post by David Kaufman » January 24th, 2015, 9:45 am

Finally got to try Glenmorangie Signet last night and it was easily one of the best scotches I've had. Not too sweet like some of the other Glenmorangies, with a touch a chocolate undertones.

Mike Grammer

#578 Post by Mike Grammer » January 26th, 2015, 10:41 am

I won't post here, but I will post in the spirits subforum. On Friday, 12 of us are doing the 2nd whisky and food extravaganza. We're starting with a flight of Bourbon, but then transitioning to 11 single malts plus Johnnie Walker gold. The first 2 flights are assessing "Gold and its components" which I have done my best to winkle out. 2 flights of 4, I think I'm setting them up as

Glenkinchie
Linkwood
Mortlach
Caol Ila

2nd flight will be

Royal Lochnagar
Cardhu
Clynelish
Talisker

We're going to keep a tiny bit of each of these and pour them into an overall glass to make our own "blend" and then compare *that* with the gold.

The last flight is "olden goldies" when I'll be presenting 30 year Highland Park Cask Strength, 32 year Convalmore and 34 year Benrinnes. Should be fun...especially with Mexican food!

Mike

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#579 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 27th, 2015, 12:00 pm

David Kaufman wrote:Finally got to try Glenmorangie Signet last night and it was easily one of the best scotches I've had. Not too sweet like some of the other Glenmorangies, with a touch a chocolate undertones.
I've had half a dram of this stuff. I'm with you, David --- it's some good stuff!

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#580 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 27th, 2015, 12:02 pm

Mike Grammer wrote:I won't post here, but I will post in the spirits subforum. On Friday, 12 of us are doing the 2nd whisky and food extravaganza. We're starting with a flight of Bourbon, but then transitioning to 11 single malts plus Johnnie Walker gold. The first 2 flights are assessing "Gold and its components" which I have done my best to winkle out. 2 flights of 4, I think I'm setting them up as

Glenkinchie
Linkwood
Mortlach
Caol Ila

2nd flight will be

Royal Lochnagar
Cardhu
Clynelish
Talisker

We're going to keep a tiny bit of each of these and pour them into an overall glass to make our own "blend" and then compare *that* with the gold.

The last flight is "olden goldies" when I'll be presenting 30 year Highland Park Cask Strength, 32 year Convalmore and 34 year Benrinnes. Should be fun...especially with Mexican food!

Mike
Oh, damn! Sounds like this will be lots of fun! Just out of curiosity, what abv. does the 30yo HP cs come in at?

Mike Grammer

#581 Post by Mike Grammer » January 27th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Mine is a Douglas Laing. It's a tame-ish 55%

Mike Grammer

#582 Post by Mike Grammer » February 3rd, 2015, 8:27 am

John Liotta

#583 Post by John Liotta » February 4th, 2015, 8:58 am

Mortlach 50, bottled in 1939. Pretty amazing stuff.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#584 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » February 4th, 2015, 8:59 am

'The Maltman' Mortlach 15yr, Distilled October 1998, bottled August 2014, recasked in Bourbon.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#585 Post by John Osburn » February 4th, 2015, 12:50 pm

John Liotta wrote:Mortlach 50, bottled in 1939. Pretty amazing stuff.
I'll bet it was. Nice.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#586 Post by M.Kaplan » February 4th, 2015, 2:44 pm

Some of the oldies and goodies depleted at the 16 Annual Gathering of the Clan (Ardbeggeddon XVI), held a couple of weeks ago in Dick Cheney's Secret Bunker

(The red stamp reads, "Drained by PLOWED at ARDBEGGEDDON. DO NOT REFILL"

Not yet released single cask Ardbeg 40,

A small Macallan vertical for breakfast

And a couple of old Springbank dumpies for good measure

---Mark

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#587 Post by RyanC » February 4th, 2015, 2:52 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:Some of the oldies and goodies depleted at the 16 Annual Gathering of the Clan (Ardbeggeddon XVI), held a couple of weeks ago in Dick Cheney's Secret Bunker

Not yet released single cask Ardbeg 40,

A small Macallan vertical for breakfast

And a couple of old Springbank dumpies for good measure

Good grief -- well done!

What was the SOTN?
C@ughey

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#588 Post by M.Kaplan » February 4th, 2015, 3:17 pm

Not a night. Always a 4 day weekend, as some of the clan travel great distances to attend. Hard to say what the best/favorite whisky was; probably one of those in the top picture. As is our custom, everyone stepped up and brought good hooch; although we only had a few old Ardbeg/Springbank/Port Ellen, as they have become irreplaceable. If I had to choose only one, it would probably be Rare Malts '72 Brora 22 year old or '73 Ardbeg 31 year old (Cask #1146). Very Old Ardbeg 30, which was bottled in 1996 and contains a lot of very old whisky, is pretty good, too.
---Mark

WilliamW

#589 Post by WilliamW » February 4th, 2015, 3:52 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:Some of the oldies and goodies depleted at the 16 Annual Gathering of the Clan (Ardbeggeddon XVI), held a couple of weeks ago in Dick Cheney's Secret Bunker

Wow, what an amazing lineup. I have heard stories from the legend that is Ardbeggeddon from a couple (I assume mutual) friends who attend. That 1972 Rare Malts Brora 22 is incredible- amazing to see that thing open! Which single cask Ardbeg is that? Is that an Italian tax strip?
ᓭ ₩e͏͡hwhy̛͡ȇȠΞᓯ ‍

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#590 Post by Michael Bowden » February 4th, 2015, 5:10 pm

I think you mean distilled (not bottled) in 1939....
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#591 Post by John Osburn » February 5th, 2015, 1:36 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:Not a night. Always a 4 day weekend, as some of the clan travel great distances to attend. Hard to say what the best/favorite whisky was; probably one of those in the top picture. As is our custom, everyone stepped up and brought good hooch; although we only had a few old Ardbeg/Springbank/Port Ellen, as they have become irreplaceable. If I had to choose only one, it would probably be Rare Malts '72 Brora 22 year old or '73 Ardbeg 31 year old (Cask #1146). Very Old Ardbeg 30, which was bottled in 1996 and contains a lot of very old whisky, is pretty good, too.
What a lineup, thanks for the report. That Very Old was amazing. So much finesse....

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#592 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 6th, 2015, 11:38 am

slapped some Longrow 14 in my flask and hit the mountain in Mammoth last weekend. It was certainly tasty and very well-received by my burning quads at the end of the day!

WilliamW

#593 Post by WilliamW » February 6th, 2015, 11:46 am

This is from a small get together with a couple good friends and malt geeks last weekend.

Triple dramming some Port Ellen. The sherried OMC was stylistically interesting and not what one expects from a typical PE. Despite some of the variable ratings, the 8th was liked by some more that the 12th.

We actually has 2 Caol Ila Feis Ile bottlings. I liked the 2009 FI a bit better - richer on the sherry.

The 1977 Ardbeg was good, but I am glad we hit it before we got into the cask strength bottles. The two Lagavulin 16s are a new Port Ellen maltings and an older Whitehorse from the late 90's. It is amazing to taste how much the Lagavulin profile has shifted.
ᓭ ₩e͏͡hwhy̛͡ȇȠΞᓯ ‍

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#594 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 6th, 2015, 3:18 pm

Very cool! although the thought of putting Port Ellen in sherry just makes me want to slap someone ... I have to assume that malt went into barrel before the distillery was shuttered, but still ...

John Liotta

#595 Post by John Liotta » February 6th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Michael Bowden wrote:
I think you mean distilled (not bottled) in 1939....
Yes, I was typing fast . . . full text should have read:

Mortlach, 50 year old, distilled in 1939, bottle no. 35.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

WilliamW

#596 Post by WilliamW » February 9th, 2015, 8:35 am

John, how was that Mortlach?! Mortlach is probably my favorite Speysider, especially out of first fill Oloroso. I just love that savory/beefy characteristic; I think it is what gives Mortlach the backbone to stand up well against first fill sherry butts without becoming a genericized sherry bomb. Sadly, I hear the new (and fancy) Mortlach official bottlings have toned down this savory characteristic in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience.
ᓭ ₩e͏͡hwhy̛͡ȇȠΞᓯ ‍

John Liotta

#597 Post by John Liotta » February 9th, 2015, 2:33 pm

It was excellent. Really what you want.

The new Mortlach offerings are going after the Macallan drinkers. There will be a distillery expansive and more stuff out soon.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Mike Grammer

#598 Post by Mike Grammer » February 10th, 2015, 9:52 am

Very nice, Mark and everyone, glad the latest Ardbegeddon was another success. Love me the older Brora, such a fine, fine dram.

Mike

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#599 Post by M.Kaplan » February 10th, 2015, 10:45 am

Mike Grammer wrote:Very nice, Mark and everyone, glad the latest Ardbegeddon was another success. Love me the older Brora, such a fine, fine dram.

Mike
Thanks, Mike.

We drank a couple of old Brora annual releases, too. The second annual 30 year old, bottled in 2002, and a 35 year old, bottled in 2013. I liked them both, but in my opinion, the 35 lacked the energy of the 30. The Rare Malts '72 22 year old is one of my all-time favorites and was the best of the three. Every time I drink one of these irreplaceable bottles, I'm a little sad. Mouton can always make another great vintage, but Brora and Rosebank are no more and other once great great distilleries (Springbank, Ardbeg, The Macallan, et al) choose not to invest in making great whisky any more.

---Mark

Mike Grammer

#600 Post by Mike Grammer » February 10th, 2015, 1:15 pm

It's a hard trend to watch, Mark, and how many other distilleries are picking up the ball to take their place? Arran is producing a lot of product, but I'm finding unevenness in my preferences for them. As you say, lots of fancy new names and products from Macallan, but almost all of them seem to be inferior in character to what was produced in the good old days. As you say, even more so than with Bordeaux and Burgundy, we may see skyrocketing prices for these treasures---I'm seeing that already.

OTOH, maybe still *some* hope. Down in Florida, my friend and I went into Total Wines and they had an entire shelf of stuff from a new bottler, Battlehill, out of the UK. I talked my buddy into buying a 20 year old Longmorn for about $100, and they had stuff like 20 yr Caol Ila and 21 Bunnahabhain for a little bit more. We'll see how it really is when we taste it together (I was actually sorely tempted, and by some of the Berry Brothers bottlings too, but selected an Orphan Barrel 20 yr Bartertown as my hard liquor to bring back this time).

Thoughts? And from ye others?

Return to “Beer and Spirits”