What SCOTCH are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What SCOTCH are you drinking?

#451 Post by Dave H. » January 19th, 2013, 4:08 pm

You know, I haven't been anywhere special, really, so maybe that's the problem.
My experience has been largely limited to mid-level blends (J.W. Black, Chivas 12), 'fiddich from my parents' cabinet back in the day and scotches that I considered interesting intellectual exercises but maybe not what I want to consistently drink at home (Laphroig, with its bandaids and iodine, comes to mind). I'm a big bourbon enthusiast, so maybe it's the sort of unabashed sweetness I taste in Highland Park. It's like you took my Evan Williams Single Barrel and ramped up the smokiness but also the elegance.
I feel like I lack the verbiage to adequately describe what exactly I like about it. I am often (silently) disdainful of wine neophytes who describe wine they like simply as "smooth," but darned if this Highland Park isn't "smooth" as hell.
The new Wine Enthusiast magazine had a glowing review of a blend called "Sheep Dip" and while I try to be highly, highly suspect of WE reviews, they did make it sound might delicious.
So yea, in short, it's all new to me. But I guess I have the next 60 years or so to keep exploring...
Hendrik

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#452 Post by M.Kaplan » January 25th, 2013, 8:28 am

Yesterday, we spent the afternoon drinking Laphroaig.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
---Mark

Frank Deis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#453 Post by Frank Deis » January 25th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Dave H. wrote:You know, I haven't been anywhere special, really, so maybe that's the problem.
My experience has been largely limited to mid-level blends (J.W. Black, Chivas 12), 'fiddich from my parents' cabinet back in the day and scotches that I considered interesting intellectual exercises but maybe not what I want to consistently drink at home (Laphroig, with its bandaids and iodine, comes to mind). I'm a big bourbon enthusiast, so maybe it's the sort of unabashed sweetness I taste in Highland Park. It's like you took my Evan Williams Single Barrel and ramped up the smokiness but also the elegance.
I feel like I lack the verbiage to adequately describe what exactly I like about it. I am often (silently) disdainful of wine neophytes who describe wine they like simply as "smooth," but darned if this Highland Park isn't "smooth" as hell.
The new Wine Enthusiast magazine had a glowing review of a blend called "Sheep Dip" and while I try to be highly, highly suspect of WE reviews, they did make it sound might delicious.
So yea, in short, it's all new to me. But I guess I have the next 60 years or so to keep exploring...
Dave, I was thinking Dalwhinnie might push some of the right buttons, but looking at the graph below, Talisker also looks like a good bet.

ITB = "I Teach Biochemistry"

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#454 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 2nd, 2013, 7:20 pm

Springbank 14 (society only bottling; c.s. (55.7%); 7 years in port butt & 7 years in bourbon bbl) --- very excellent stuff
Bowmore 15 "Mariner" --- like this a little bit more each time I have it; I got some nice fruity tones on this one tonight
Longrow 18 (my bottle is almost gone [cry.gif] )
Auchentoshan 10 --- o.k.; my friends and I refer to this as "the pussy whisky" because ... well ... it has a very distinct, smell.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Gerry Morrisey

#455 Post by Gerry Morrisey » February 3rd, 2013, 7:58 am

Aberlour 16yr- This is my favorite go-to scotch and the price isn't bad either at $52

Charles Lerette

#456 Post by Charles Lerette » February 3rd, 2013, 9:55 pm

Frank Deis wrote:
Dave H. wrote:You know, I haven't been anywhere special, really, so maybe that's the problem.
Dave, I was thinking Dalwhinnie might push some of the right buttons, but looking at the graph below, Talisker also looks like a good bet.

Interesting graph. So many not included though.

Mike Grammer

#457 Post by Mike Grammer » February 5th, 2013, 9:37 am

Fun little chart. Though Bunnahabhain as a non-smoky scotch has me scratching my head. Wouldn't say "delicate" either, though not by any means brawny.

Anyhoo, I'm cross-posting notes from a whisky dinner we just had on the weekend---first time I've ever tried to run flights with food. Very fascinating process.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 18&t=79163

Mark---LOVE the picture!

Dave H.---you have lots of fun ahead of you. I'm going in the opposite direction, have been (and still am) a huge single malt enthusiast, but I've recently discovered what good bourbon is all about and I'm hooked. I have a suggestion for you---The Midleton Rare Old Irish whisky. I think you'll love it. I find it's a terrific transitional malt between singles and bourbon.

Best,

Mike

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#458 Post by Dave H. » February 5th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Mike Grammer wrote:Fun little chart. Though Bunnahabhain as a non-smoky scotch has me scratching my head. Wouldn't say "delicate" either, though not by any means brawny.

Anyhoo, I'm cross-posting notes from a whisky dinner we just had on the weekend---first time I've ever tried to run flights with food. Very fascinating process.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 18&t=79163

Mark---LOVE the picture!

Dave H.---you have lots of fun ahead of you. I'm going in the opposite direction, have been (and still am) a huge single malt enthusiast, but I've recently discovered what good bourbon is all about and I'm hooked. I have a suggestion for you---The Midleton Rare Old Irish whisky. I think you'll love it. I find it's a terrific transitional malt between singles and bourbon.

Best,

Mike
Awesome. Enjoyed all the feedback. Thanks, guys. And if you're talking bourbon, I recently picked up a bottle of Elmer T. Lee, and while it's not in the "elite" class, I think it's smoking good stuff for $25.
Hendrik

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#459 Post by John Osburn » February 5th, 2013, 4:35 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:Yesterday, we spent the afternoon drinking Laphroaig.
Damn, that's a well-spent afternoon.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#460 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 13th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Longrow 18

Savoring every single drop. I have one -- maybe two -- drams remaining in my bottle. [cry.gif]

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Ryan Kilkenney

#461 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » February 21st, 2013, 7:12 pm

Sorry to say goodbye to this bottle.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (21.61 KiB) Viewed 2094 times

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#462 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 21st, 2013, 8:53 pm

looks pretty full to me. Did you bong it?

Mike Grammer

#463 Post by Mike Grammer » February 22nd, 2013, 7:26 am

Recently had the chance to sample the Wemyss bottling of 21 year Mortlach. Wonderfully smooth and still full of character with equal parts hay/heather, sweet and spice. Has a little breathe-back. 8, I'd say, maybe 8+

Also had the chance to (perhaps re-try) try Macallan 25 yr Fine Oak. This is OK, but nothing special. I have not liked any of the Fine Oak maturations, they seem to strip the malt of its "Macallan-ness"

cheers,

Mike

Ryan Kilkenney

#464 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » February 22nd, 2013, 7:54 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:looks pretty full to me.
You must be an optimist. But I'm sorry to report that it is definitely empty.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#465 Post by M.Kaplan » February 22nd, 2013, 8:19 am

Not bad for a post '77 Ardbeg (the last year they made the real thing; after which they stopped using direct coal fired stills and their own floor maltings). Not ARDBEG, but not terrible.

---Mark

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#466 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 22nd, 2013, 8:47 am

Ryan Kilkenney wrote:
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:looks pretty full to me.
You must be an optimist. But I'm sorry to report that it is definitely empty.
Drats.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#467 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 22nd, 2013, 8:48 am

M.Kaplan wrote:Not bad for a post '77 Ardbeg (the last year they made the real thing; after which they stopped using direct coal fired stills and their own floor maltings). Not ARDBEG, but not terrible.

When was this bottled? I don't recognize that label.

Tran Bronstein
Contributor
Contributor

#468 Post by Tran Bronstein » February 26th, 2013, 7:23 pm

First of all, I'm currently sipping on a Glenlivet 21 Year Old Archive and Balvenie 21 Year Old Portwood. I'll post a Whisky Mortal Kombat set of TNs on them sometime this weekend. Loving both of them. So incredibly smooth and no heat until it actually is swallowed and then it warms the esophagus instead of burning the palate on first contact. My next acquisition will be a Glenrothes 1988.

I have now read through every single post on all 14 pages thus far of this thread and a number of thoughts come to mind:

* The palpable hatred for Glenfiddich really makes me wary of buying even though their 18 and 15 year olds even though they seem like incredible deals. Glenfiddich really gets under true whisky lovers' skins like no other.

* the comments on the downfall in quality of Glenlivet make me sad, because the 21 year Portwood is so good it makes me wonder what it would've been like at their peak of quality.

* I am finding strong peaty Scotch impossible to eat with food and sometimes even to drink on its own. I couldn't finish the Glen Grant 21 year old sample I had. The Lagavulin 16 and Highland Park 18 year olds were beautiful but I would only want to sip them alone after a meal.

* Surprised at all the love for the Macallan 18. I personally found it a bit overrated and certainly not worth the nearly $300 CDN price. I used the money to get the Balvenie 21 year old instead after sampling both.

* I am rapidly losing any desire to ever touch 12 year old Scotch or any other that's younger ever again. I admit the Cardhu 12 was surprisingly delicate and sweet but nothing beats a good 21 year old for smoothness.

* I am completely against ice in Scotch. I too found that it mutes the nose and flavors. I do like a bit of a chill, though, so I keep mine at 10 degrees Celsius in the passive closet. I noticed, however, that most of you that do like it with ice like to use a smaller quarter-sized cube. Maybe I'll have to try that sometime.

* I am finding myself heavily leaning towards Speyside malts due to their sweetness and lack of peat.

* I am absolutely dying to try PX sherry-casked whisky.
Tran's the smart one!- M Grammer

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#469 Post by M.Kaplan » February 26th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
M.Kaplan wrote:Not bad for a post '77 Ardbeg (the last year they made the real thing; after which they stopped using direct coal fired stills and their own floor maltings). Not ARDBEG, but not terrible.

When was this bottled? I don't recognize that label.
It is the Ardbeg Committee 21, from casks distilled in '79 and '80. Bottled in '01. It was the second Committee bottling.
---Mark

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#470 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 27th, 2013, 11:22 am

Cool stuff, Mark. :)

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#471 Post by M.Kaplan » March 1st, 2013, 5:37 pm

Celebrating the weekend by opening one of my last few bottles of old Ballantine's 17 (distilled no later than '77, the 40+ whiskies in this bottle were most likely distilled in the '60s), with Ardbeg as the primary Islay malt in the blend. Bittersweet, as it is a reminder of when Ardbeg was the best malt in the world and Ballantine's 17 the 'finest' blend. Wow, such a great whisky.

---Mark

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#472 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 11th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Port Ellen (bottled by The Golden Cask/House of MacDuff) - 27 yr. (51.8%)

First time with a Port Ellen. While this isn't making the earth move beneath me, it is very very very good stuff. Happy to have paid 10 pounds for a 5cL miniature (actually, I bought two, and now regret not having bought all four that were on the shelf). I was surprised at how not overly peaty it was, and it had a really beautiful smoothness to it.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#473 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 11th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Caol Illa - 12yr
paired with two cheeses:
* "Old Amsterdam" aged Gouda
* "Raging Bull" hard Swiss mountain cheese

The Gouda highlights the whisky's salinity, while the Swiss highlights the whisky's underlying sweet notes --- and I *do* mean "underlying," as I've never overtly noticed anything "sweet" about Caol Illa. Interesting contrast. Fun stuff. [basic-smile.gif]

MBerto

#474 Post by MBerto » March 27th, 2013, 8:11 am

Pick my next scotch:

Just finished a bottle of Glenmorangie Nector D'or, and enjoyed it although I still lean towards older scotches (this is a 12 year). My favorite thus far has been Lagavulin 16, and I've also enjoyed Macallen 18 and Johnnie Blue and Green. I don't particularly care for sweeter scotches, although I'd be interested in trying something slightly less smoky that the Lagavulin. Thoughts?
M@TT Bert0 lat us
@10centpower

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#475 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 27th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Matt,

What's your price range? And, are you willing to order from out of state, or are you going to stick to local retailers? If you're sticking to local retailers, which ones? (this would allow us to peruse their online selection).

BTW, you give pretty good starting parameters; answers to my two questions should result in some rather specific and helpful answers, I would think.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#476 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 27th, 2013, 2:13 pm

just poured the last dram from my bottle of Caol Illa 12.

Now, which whisky will take its cabinet space?!? [dance-clap.gif]

MBerto

#477 Post by MBerto » March 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Around or below $100. I always fine it odd that winos who will drop $30 for a bottle of wine and consider it a value balk at $100 scotch, when the scotch on a "per drink" basis is much cheaper.

I suppose I've got no problem ordering, but the local stores seem to have excellent selections. Take a look:

http://www.southlyndale.com/
http://haskells.com/
www.france44.com/

Thanks in advance.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
@10centpower

Steve Ham

#478 Post by Steve Ham » March 27th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Try Talisker 18. It used to be way below $100 but the price has gone up significantly recently. it should be around $100, though. The peat dies down as the whisky ages so it's much less peaty than the 10. Also, if you want something less from Ardbeg, try the Airigh Nam Beist. It was distilled in 1990 so depending on the bottling you get it will be aged 18 or 19 years. Contrary to the name, it's not that beastly. Much tamer than the Uigaedail bottling. Lastly, Laphroig 18 is pretty gentle compared to the 10 year bottling. If you want something out of the box, try something from Japan. If you can get a hold of Nikka Black, try that. it's a vatted malt and has a nice smoke in the background. Nikka White is pretty peaty (much more so than black) but compared to Laga it's gentler. Fun stuff.

MBerto wrote:Around or below $100. I always fine it odd that winos who will drop $30 for a bottle of wine and consider it a value balk at $100 scotch, when the scotch on a "per drink" basis is much cheaper.

I suppose I've got no problem ordering, but the local stores seem to have excellent selections. Take a look:

http://www.france44.com/

Thanks in advance.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#479 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 28th, 2013, 6:38 am

I can heartily second the Nikka - White rec. --- fantastic stuff.

MBerto

#480 Post by MBerto » March 28th, 2013, 6:43 am

M@TT Bert0 lat us
@10centpower

Steve Ham

#481 Post by Steve Ham » March 28th, 2013, 7:40 am

it's the second one from royal mile.

Although, yoichi 15 is pretty NICE! That's a great price, too. cheaper than in japan. Not really smokey but man it's really, really good. If you want to know what japanese whisky is all about, i would highly recommend it.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#482 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 28th, 2013, 9:56 am

Matt,

Looking at France44's list, the Laphroaig 10yr cask strength @ $56 and the Clynelish 14 @$(I forget) struck me as good buys --- especially the Laphroaig 10yr. C.S.. That Laphroaig, however, is definitely a BIG, PEATY whisky that requires some water. I love it, but it's not for everyone. Seeing as how you enjoy the Lagavulin 16, I would think you'd enjoy it.

I'll peruse the other stores' online selections when I have the time.

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#483 Post by John Osburn » March 28th, 2013, 2:12 pm

Interesting color-enhanced photgraphs of dried whiskey residue on the bottom of glasses...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/0 ... whisky-art

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#484 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 31st, 2013, 3:40 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#485 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 31st, 2013, 3:56 pm

MBerto wrote:Around or below $100. I always fine it odd that winos who will drop $30 for a bottle of wine and consider it a value balk at $100 scotch, when the scotch on a "per drink" basis is much cheaper.

Thanks in advance.
South Lyndale's website sucks --- cannot browse their selection.

As for Haskells: their pricing reminds me why buying wine and fine liquor in the MN market totally sucks.
Laphroaig 18yr is moderately tempting at $89
Signatory Vintage "Highland Park" Single Malt Scotch for $83 might be worth researching a bit more (I would)
Highland Park 15yr at $66 is an ok value.
Signatory Vintage 'Clynelish' Single Malt Scotch at $55 is almost certainly a good deal (I can't read the bottling year, however).
Caol Illa 12yr at $57 is somewhat reasonable
Clynelish 14yr at $49 is reasonable
Glen Moray 16yr at $45 might be worth additional research.
Highland Park 12yr at $43 is good.
Cragganmore 12yr at $42 is good.

MBerto

#486 Post by MBerto » April 5th, 2013, 7:45 am

Thanks in advance.

As for Haskells: their pricing reminds me why buying wine and fine liquor in the MN market totally sucks.
Signatory Vintage "Highland Park" Single Malt Scotch for $83 might be worth researching a bit more (I would)
Signatory Vintage 'Clynelish' Single Malt Scotch at $55 is almost certainly a good deal (I can't read the bottling year, however).
Thanks Brian. Can you give me a quick top 3 of these based solely upon quality, without regard to the "value" based on the pricing available to me?
M@TT Bert0 lat us
@10centpower

Christofer C

#487 Post by Christofer C » April 5th, 2013, 12:47 pm

MBerto wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Brian. Can you give me a quick top 3 of these based solely upon quality, without regard to the "value" based on the pricing available to me?
Sorry, will unprovokedly give my two cents (Haskells pricing system is pretty crazy though):
For the peat: Ardbeg Uigaedail $75: fantastic whisky, although a lot of peat it is beautifully balanced, get it while you still can!
The Signatory Highland Park 1991 $ 83 kinda high price, I've had it recommended to me but HP in its 20s without chill-filtration or coloring I think is a given!
Tomatin 18yr $ 55 a good price, better than what I can get it for.
Dalmore Gran Reserva $ 65 is a good value for a nice Speysider!
Never tried the Macallan Cask Strength and Laphroaig Cairdeas but they're discontinued here so the prices are good. And the Glendronach 15yr Revival $ 90, great whisky but horrendous price.

For France44, if you wanna splurge the Macallan 18yr $ 180, if it is the 1990, sells at TWE for £ 275/$ 420! Let us know what you end up getting!

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#488 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 5th, 2013, 2:21 pm

MBerto wrote:
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: Laphroaig 18yr is moderately tempting at $89
It's worth noting, I haven't had the following specific bottlings: Glen Moray 16; Signatory HP. Depending on the bottling year, I might have not had the Signatory Clynelish, either (I own a bottle of the '97 which was bottled in 2012).

That said, I submit the following as the first three bottlings I mentioned above that I would buy, if all were priced identically:
Signatory Clynelish
Signatory Highland Park
Laphroaig 18

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#489 Post by Joe Dulworth » April 8th, 2013, 5:35 am

Sunday I did a Scotch tasting trying to get a feel for some of the different areas and products:

* Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Highland Single Malt Original
* Glenmorangie 12 Year Old Highland Single Malt Quinta Ruban
* Glenmorangie 12 Year Old Highland Single Malt Nectar d'Or
* Auchentoshan 12 Year Old Lowland Single Malt
* Glenlivet 12 Year Old Speyside Single Malt
* Talisker 10 Year Old Isle of Skye Single Malt
* Laphroaig 10 Year Old Islay Single Malt

Overall my favorites were the GlenMo Quinta Ruban, Auchentoshan and Laphroaig. I'd say being primarily a wine drinker my clear favorite was the GlenMo Quinta Ruban with it's 2 year port cask finish. Dangerously smooth and aromatic one could quickly find themselves in trouble drinking this Scotch. The Auchentoshan is a clean, easy to sip version of Scotch. The Laphroaig is a huge peet festival and quite unique. I felt like I was smelling a smoked brisket.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

Christofer C

#490 Post by Christofer C » April 9th, 2013, 9:12 am

Brought out some miniatures for tasting today, Tomatin 12 Year Old nothing special, got a lot of agave character from this, lighter style speysider but not bad nor that good, Benriach 20 Year Old been wanting to see what they've done with the distillery since it was last mothballed, very light/muted on the nose, sugar almonds meets some herbs, minty and palate opened up a little bit with some yellow dried fruits but almost felt like a lowlander, very smooth though and no edges. Bit of a disappointment though.

And for the finale: Highland Park 30 Year Old (most recent, 48,1 % ABV edition) now we're talking, even at the first whiff the sherry fruit, nuts and marzipan comes out and as I bring my nose closer to smell that delicious fruit a careful and perfectly integrated peat comes through, almost a light version of some asphalt smoke. And just on the smell how perfectly balanced in every thing is and so smooth and expressive, almost afraid to water it, just stunning! And the palate just confirms it, just brilliant. Forgive me Orcadians but it's like English comedy, this is no Eddie Murphy, don't expect it to blow your mind in that instant instead it just proceeds like a Monty Python movie, it knows it's great and just stretches it out for the journey and puts you there with a glass in your hand smiling, we're talking separation anxiety here, and just parades through your palate and nose! Definitely something I would like to splurge on in the future!

Mike Grammer

#491 Post by Mike Grammer » April 23rd, 2013, 11:48 am

Some recent samplings (Tran had very small sips of the first 3). Sorry, I was a li'l preoccupied in the pub where I tried these, so not full info.

Douglas Laing Inchgower 25 year Cask Strength

I think this was about 50%. I was rather surprised with the fruity nature of this, both on the nose and in the mouth. It has a fine balance to it, a little honey slurping at the sides of your cheeks, a mustard-tinged finish. Quite good, let’s say 8.

1979 Liquid Gold Royal Brackla Cask Strength

My recollection is 18 years, and I think the strength was 54 or 55%. This had definite presence to it, a real bite at front and back and, for me, the heather, slight peaty aspect and mix of spices and light caramel that somehow combines to be Royal Brackla for me. Didn’t fancy it as much this time around, but it’s been a long time and a lot more whiskies have passed my lips in the interim. 7

Longmorn 30 year Cask Strength

Forget the distiller/distributor, also a 50% I think. And I do, do love this stuff. It is so compellingly complex, reaches at you on several levels, including one that contributes a liquid white pepper essence and a certain salty/smoky aspect. To sniff at it, whiffs of grass, malt, even possibly cocoa and cracker. A terrible, wonderful lot going on. 9+ at least.

Nikka Pure Malt Black

On the strength of Jim Murray's bestowed 95. Where his rapture with Amrut Fusion was, for my palate, well justified, this doesn't excite me as much. Smooth and a little on the sweet side, but missing some drive and character, I almost might mistake this blind for a blend. I'll try it again and see if I feel the same. For now, 5-6 at most.

Chris, the HP 30 is a dream in most incarnations---love that stuff. I think I have a cask strength version at the moment.

Christofer C

#492 Post by Christofer C » April 23rd, 2013, 2:32 pm

Mike Grammer wrote: Chris, the HP 30 is a dream in most incarnations---love that stuff. I think I have a cask strength version at the moment.
Lucky man! It's the mythological Coyote of Highland Parks and in some sense most whiskies for me, ever-changing, magical and captivating! That Longmorn sounds pretty darn tasty as well, cask-strength and all! What type of bottling was it? Been eyeing those Gordon & MacPhail bottlings of Longmorn for too long...

Mike Grammer

#493 Post by Mike Grammer » April 23rd, 2013, 8:44 pm

Got back home to check---The Douglas Laing Old and Rare Platinum version, 55%. Now that's HP with attytude. I think the Longmorn might've been a G&M.

I had that at Feathers Pub in Toronto, which is a true Godsend for single malt aficionados. If you click on the pdf link, you'll be able to open up the single malt tasting menu.

http://thefeatherspub.ca/Menus/TheFeath ... fault.aspx

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#494 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 24th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Laphroaig - PX Cask

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#495 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 17th, 2013, 12:21 pm

last dram of my Longrow - 18.

'twas good to know ya'. [cheers.gif] [cry.gif]

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#496 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » May 17th, 2013, 12:38 pm

1989 Bruichladdich Black Art 03.1
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Mike Grammer

#497 Post by Mike Grammer » May 17th, 2013, 2:12 pm

How was that, Brent---I've never tried that version.

BTW, your current avatar is in-credible. Your own pic? And where?

Michael C.

#498 Post by Michael C. » May 29th, 2013, 11:28 am

Yoichi 15!
- Michael Chan

Harold Fong

#499 Post by Harold Fong » June 2nd, 2013, 12:48 am

Love that Yoichi 15. Also sampled some Karuizawas recently (1981 and 1999 single cask) and will be adding them to my stash. Obviously not Scotch, but they'll fit into the whisky theme of this thread.

Had a chance to taste through (almost all of) the Compass Box range with John Glaser and really loved every one of his creations. My favorites are still his Flaming Heart releases, but Hedonism is just a terrific grain whisky.

Ardbeg "Ardbog" - I think it's better than the Alligator, Ardbeg Day, and Gallileo.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#500 Post by M.Kaplan » June 2nd, 2013, 4:45 pm

Ardbog is another generic Glenmo Ardbeg. Better than Galileo, which was a Marsala finished puketastrophe, but still lacking any real Ardbeg character. Meh. The soulless cretins at Glenmo have ruined the greatest spirit in the history of mankind and I'm bitter about it.
---Mark

Return to “Beer and Spirits”